Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A

We need to do something to that rage sometime soon. But first we need to show Sekhenun her place.

^ Top  
  2. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    She put a tracker on us. I might have understood the tracker if it were only for her to know were we are. But she told Edem about it, taking away our only advantage against him. And what did she promise to Edem for his help? I don't think we can trust her until she tells us what is going on. And backing down now is definitely wrong move.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    She is already afraid of us / our hunger, so I doubt she is going to try something like that anytime soon. Scaring her even more would just destroy any working relationship we might have with her. And she is the closest thing we have to an ally at the moment - so what's the point of intimidating her further?

Also, is it just me or is the forum really slow today? And what's with the new brofists? What is this stuff?

Edit: I'm not saying that she was not wrong in what she did, just that pressing the issue while we are pissed off is likely to end badly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    A. We've been played for a fool for too long. Enough of being her unwitting tool. Let's press the issue and force her to explain all her plans.

^ Top  
  5. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Marduk will be heading to Egypt in a couple of weeks anyways and now we've earned the loyalty of an entire people. So we've got a strong army that adores Ean, we've recovered most of our powers, and Sumeria is ripe for the taking. Do we really need Sekhenun at this point?

It's a cost-benefit calculation: is the value of whatever future information she provides (i.e. knowledge on the Gieloth, info on how to defeat Zeus/Marduk) worth the risk of her fucking us over? All of our targets have been provided by Sek at this point, so we'd need to find another way to gather intel. However, if the information isn't worth whatever betrayal she's probably plotting, we might as well just hulk out and eat her.

Still on the fence on this one, not quite sure.

Actually, I just saw this little tidbit from when we devoured the voices:

I'm all for barbarian rage, but we have to first learn how to harness it at the right time instead of giving into anger at every opportunity. Sekhenun wronged us, but I'm worried about the long-term effects of losing our cool. We shouldn't risk it.

B

^ Top  
  6. B - We're too angry for our own good. We don't want to loose control and end up eating her.

We can always ask her later. As for her alliance: as others have stated earlier, it's likely this alliance was formed long ago - her interests in Babylon politics have been present for some time, as our conversation with Nabu indicated - and she just didn't mention it.

edit: Exactly, Smashing Axe.
    edit2: Ouch. Didn't think of the whole undead abomination thing. We definately need to reign in our anger then as it seems to go hand-in-hand with our hunger.
    edit3: Yes, remove the tracker. Also, we need to learn light manipulation fast. We'd be nearly undetectable.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I don't know, I think if we press this in our current condition we'll end up feasting on her guts. I'm all for learning more of her motives and not being taken for chumps, but I don't want to kill her if we don't have to. I'm picking up a strong vibe from treave's last update that this is what it'll ultimately descend to. That or an attempt.

^ Top  
  8. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    <Sigh> If it weren't for the risk of devouring her, I'd be all for slapping her. However, my Bros have a point.
    B it is. However, we now have to be prepared, I'm 95% certain Sekhenun sold us out, not the least because she is terrified of Ean.
    Smashing Axe: You're most likely right, but let's wait and see what he says when we tell him to send his people against Marduk's military.
    P.S.: From our current pattern, I get the feeling we'll be the ones pulling civilizations in order to get to the core of their corruption. Like Attila the Hun, Genghis and Kublai Khan and, of course, Hitler. What are the odds Gieloth will end up as the Joos?

^ Top  
  10. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    If Sekhenun intents to betray us, the more we wait the more time she has to prepare. And the more she prepares the more we feel betrayed by her when we confort her. Now she is in our power and we can hopefully intimidate her to back down, before the betrayal grows too big and we go raging and devouring all in our path because of that.

^ Top  
  11. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Or, we go all berserk on her and devour the one with all the contacts and master plans, information and scientific expertise. Not to mention, that's another point to giving into our hunger, and that can;t be good.
    Trust me, I'm all for pressing her against the wall and getting the information out tooth-by-tooth if we have to, but the repercussions are too great to do that. And even if she does survive, she'll definitely betray us, or at least never work with us again, because she can't trust us anymore. We must show restraint here. I'm for abandoning honor before reason, but not common fucking sense.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I can't imagine that someone like Sekhenun wouldn't have a contingency plan in case we tried something funny. Think about it - from her perspective, the prospect of us turning on her is an even more likely and dangerous one, than the other way round. After all, for Sekhenun, all her great plans rely on us; for us, we can always walk away and get involved in things another way.

I don't mind intimidating her and reminding her we aren't to be fucked with, but it's delicate - it's not like we haven't made things difficult for her in the past. Push her too far and it will make her determined to deceive / betray us, and cut off a great source of information. I think if we want to make sure we aren't taken up the posterior later on, we don't do it by 'frightening' Sekhenun into loyal submission (heh, yeah right), we do it by (1) maintaining good relations with her, and (2) building up some resources of our own. We need allies of our own, troops of our own, information sources of our own, for that inevitable day when we can no longer cooperate. Gudersu is a good start, but building up our own rapport with Edem also seems reasonable.

treave, will B still make her take out the tracker? I'd think that's the bare minimum whatever we choose.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave: I second this. Trust is a two way street. We're meeting her halfway. The other half is up to her. And if she refuses, we'll know where we stand.

^ Top  
  15. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  16. Collage Educated

Collage
    B as long as she takes out the tracker.

^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Going Hulk sounds tittilating, but ultimately, my vote has to be B

^ Top  
  18. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    B

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    These rages, "berserkergang" notwithstanding, are beginning to alarm me. If we're going to let our hunger get the best of us every time we get angry, then that is not a comforting thought. It can lead to very uncomfortable circumstances, say we see another child dragged off into the corner in broad daylight and lose control of ourselves. Or, during combat, like we did at Daedalus' place:
    and then, where will we be? Ean is doing it "bad men" so far, but how much time this "eating bad people for Great Justice" has before our hunger subverts our morals to include more and more petty crimes into that category?

Worst part is, we can't stop feeding now, or we stand no chance of defeating Marduk, and the cradle of civilization is screwed. I've a feeling that my suggestion of going Buddha for a couple decades will be more a matter of necessity then lulz with this. That is why getting angry with Sekhenun and intimidating her into giving us information is a bad idea.
    treave: How about controlling emotions while feeding, can Ean at lest do that? Or try to?
    Bros, what do you think? Am I worrying for nothing?

^ Top  
  20. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

Helly
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And on a final note, I think we've just been married off. We might want to think twice about the repercussions.
    I'm pretty sure that the next time we see her, Itani will be straddling our lap at the least, and if we "dishonor" Gudersu's daughter, either by sex or refusal, we just might lose the gutians as quickly as we won them.

^ Top  
  22. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  23. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I really want to choose A because I'm not sure when we'll get another chance. But I agree that we need to get a handle on this hunger rage. It seems to be an extremely powerful tool, but only if we can control it. B

^ Top  
  24. Thoughts...
    The way I see it, bros, there are a few short-term (relatively) priorities we've got so far:
    1. Cure or at least learn to control our hunger. - Sek is probably the only one willing to help us on this and it may tie into her own goals of curing her people.
    2. Kill Marduk.
    3. Kill and/or pacify the immortal "gods" of Greece. (Hopefully either Marduk will help with this or vice versa...)
    4. Continue to seek allies.
    5. Reforge the weapon Sek told us about. It sounded like Anbar-Shi on steroids. Should help us with 2&3. We'll probably need Sek for this.
    6. Learn light manipulation. Treave mentioned this earlier. It'd make us a near perfect assassin. Almost completely undetectable.
    7. Identify and deal with new threats as they come.
    Whatever comes our way next. We might want to consider these when making our choices.

In this case, threatening Sek might help us with 7... Unless she's not a threat...and we kill and eat her or she refuses to bend, thinks we're nuts and just ditches us somehow. In which case, we'd be further from all our objectives.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It hasn't occurred to Ean to control it because so far he hasn't had reason to. Go back to the first choice of this chapter. Basically his mindset is now that feeding is ok if I do it to the bad, and so far only the bad elicit the anger. His resurrection means he's not a natural extension of the Ean before, and that his character becomes more malleable where the hunger is concerned; it's part of his nature and he's more likely to give in to it if there's no reason not to.

As for the tracker, she says she'll remove it, but it's up to you whether you trust her near your body again.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.