Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Or, we do this to her (Ean is doing all the talking here):

:smug: I can see her face already.

^ Top  
  2. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Meh, I'm against keeping Gutians a secret just to spite Sekhenun. If there was some other purpose to it, then yes. But just to make a petty point? People's lives are at stake here. Let's just get through this with the minimum of fuss (and no eating!).

Edit: To clarify, I don't think Gutians can help us if something goes wrong. All they are going to do is raid a wall to draw attention, and there are not enough of them to to do anything else even if all they are up against are normal guards. So how are going to help us if we get in trouble in the middle of the city? How will they even find as there, not to mention get there through the walls, guards and Gieloth to help us in any meaningful way? They don't have an army - they have a raiding party. So enough playing mind games with Sekhenun - if we are working with her then let's act like it. She didn't tell us about the tracker because she was afraid of us - so how is keeping part of our plan a secret to surprise her with going to help with alleviating those fears and establishing trust between us?

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Zero Credibility: I don't want to tell her because of potential back stabbing, not to make a petty point. Though it would be nice to troll her for a change.

^ Top  
  4. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Tigranes:Why not take Ramnan out first? He is in the outskirst of the city and thus more likely to flee if we are discovered too soon ie. after killing Ahati.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I'm not sure what you're responding to, I don't think I've made a comment for this vote.

Anyway, I'm going CB for this one.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Lambchop19 - EB
    oscar - CA
    Zero Credibility - EB
    Esquilax - EB
    Smashing Axe - EA
    Storyfag - EB
    TOME - CA
    Baltika9 - EA
    Stygian Lurker - CB
    Bloodshifter - EB
    ScubaV - EB
    Tigranes - DA
    Kipeci - CB

CA - 2
    CB - 2
    DA - 1
    EA - 2
    EB - 6

Chapter 5.11: Revolution

The banquet was reaching its peak. Ramman had just arrived with his entourage of soldiers, and judging by your own experience of such banquets, the humans would all be dead drunk in another hour. Ibilsin was celebrating his years in the great hall of the Temple of Marduk. A huge bronze statue of Marduk himself sat on a throne at the back of the hall – you had heard that the hall was patterned after Marduk’s own throne room, except bigger. All around you were people who Sekhenun assured were the crème of the Babylonian elite. They were certainly fat enough to look so. Akkad under Sargon never had such opulence despite its great richesso this is how civilization grows?

Ahati will be giving a speech in a few minutes.

Sekhenun sidles up to you, having finished her round of the kitchens. You spoke through your minds to conceal your words.

I trust everything’s ready, then?

Pretty much. I’d have liked for that bitch to drop dead in the middle of her speech but their precautions have been high ever since Nusku became a scapegoat, so I can only make do with what I’ve done.

I suppose we’ll have to settle for second-best then… what is second-best anyway?

It’s not even second-best in my little herb garden. Probably sixteenth. It’s the only thing that could be snuck past their sensory receptors… the drug should lower their reflexes and inhibit their powers.

That sounds good enough to me. I need to have something to do besides interrupting her speech.

You are an over-confident prick sometimes, do you know that?

You grin as you see Ahati stand up at the head of the longest table, raising a goblet. “A toast!” she yells. “A toast to the most humble of Lord Marduk’s worshippers, the Grand Priest!” All about the hall men and women cheered and raised their drinks in celebration.

“The Grand Priest has served our Lord faithfully since the moment of his birth. He has seen the miracles Lord Marduk has bestowed upon the faithful for seventy of his years. Now we shall wish that he will continue to witness Lord Marduk’s glory for seventy more!”

More cheers.

“Even now our great god goes forth to take Egypt under his wing and crush the heathen Greeks. Who can stand against him? Lord Marduk is all-knowing! Lord Marduk is all-powerful!” Ahati repeats the cry, exhorting the crowd to take it up. They begin to do so.

You stand up from your seat at the furthest end of the table opposite Ahati, where you had been hiding in plain view.

“Perhaps,” you say loudly, “one would be more convinced of Lord Marduk’s almighty powers if he could just wave a hand and make the Greeks go poof.”

The hall went silent.

“Blasphemer!” came a shout.

“You cannot blaspheme that which is not a god.” You shrug dramatically, shaking your head.

“All of you have sat here and rotted away in luxury while the people of the empire beg for scraps. You keep your mighty armies fed just enough so that they may conquer. Your god leads you in these matters. When have the old gods called upon us to live at the expense of others? You turn your eyes away from what is right, but you do not even do what is easy – no, you work hard at enslaving bodies and minds. You are oppressors, as is your so-called god, and the truth of the matter is that oppressors always fall.”

You raise your left hand, and right on cue, the curtains around the temple fall, revealing that the city was surrounded by a faint red glow.

“Tonight, nobles of Babylon… you will fall.”

Angry yells resounded in the distance. With the Babylonian soldiers focused on outside threats for so many years, they policed the walls and shanties far more than the interior of the city. The cultists had successfully raised their mobs. Now all you had to do was dispose of the Gieloth, and everything else will fall into place.

Well done, Sekhenun. I don’t know what I’d have done if nothing happened when I did that. Still, did I really have to say all that?

Oh shush. At least this was less embarrassing than that time you had to seduce Minos’s daughters.

Don’t remind me.

All around you, you see terribly frightened faces on the humans. While Ramman appears considerably angry, Ahati has a cruel smile on her lips. “I would kill you right now for blasphemy, human, but you are too pretty to go to waste. This will be fun.” she laughs. “Do you have any more sweet words for me?”

“This.”

You raise your other hand, concentrating hard, and make a fist, gripping the air.

The neck of the bronze statue of Marduk crumples. Teetering for a bit, the head crashes to the ground behind Ahati with a terrible noise. Cries of dismay rise from the guests, and in the next second they get up to flee the hall. Ahati’s eyes narrow, her demeanour suddenly deadly, and almost before you can bring up your guard she has closed the distance, sprinting on top of the banquet table.

Is she really drugged?

Of course! Watch out!

You draw your sword just in time to parry Ahati’s strike, her blade missing your cheek by a hair. Despite the drug having taken effect, her attacks were quick and skilled, and she was strong enough that any misplaced defence would be deadly. You exchange strikes as she begins to force you backwards. A few slow nobles, heavy with food and drink, are shredded by glanced blows and missed slashes as they fail to get out of the way of your duel in time. You dodge another close call; this time her sword managing to cut your cloak. “Oh, you’re good…” You can’t help but smile as you say that. But not good enough. Well, maybe the drug has something to do with that, you think guiltily.

You shift your stance and swing your sword lazily, as if underestimating her and becoming overconfident. Seeing an opening, she takes it blindly, the gleam of victory in her eyes. In that split second you carve up her sword-arm, snaking your blade in from the inside of her forearm. Ahati gasps, and tries to fall back. You focus and throw her off her feet with a telekinetic blast. This was it. You step forward, preparing to deal the final blow, when the hall suddenly goes dark.

You feel something slimy barrel into you, knocking you to the ground. With a yell, you drive your fist into the mysterious thing and summon a burst of fire. The thing squeals and falls away from you, the darkness vanishing together with it. You see it clearly now – it was a Gieloth out of disguise, screaming and screeching telepathically as it writhes helplessly on the floor before finally flopping lifelessly and melting away.

That’s what second-best does.

Sekhenun limped towards you, her body covered in wounds. You turned back to Ahati, who was back on her feet.

“Dog of the Jin,” she snarled. “When Lord Marduk finds out about this, he will reserve a special spot in the dungeon just for you… you…”

Ahati began staring at you, her eyes bulging and lips trembling.

“Maybe you can bring me to meet him.” you offer.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGH!, she replied.

Ahati’s psychic shout jars your mind. Her full Gieloth form exploded from her human coat, innumerable black tendrils shooting all over the hall. At that instant, you felt her presence bubble and warp into something alien… like how you perceived the Gieloth when you first met them, but far more insane. The shock of her attack took you by surprise – several tendrils speared you cleanly and began retracting, pulling you towards a gaping maw at the center of the black mass.

Oh Me’kras! The probability was low, I didn’t think… the drug’s reaction-

Sekhenun’s voice in your mind cut off, interrupted by something. You struggle, but your feet fail to find purchase on the floor and you are drawn straight in.
    As you get closer, you see the core tucked away neatly at the back of the maw. More tentacles wrapped themselves around your body. You feel the corrosive effect of the Gieloth body begin to take effect, and your flesh begin to melt. This close to the maw, your mind feels like it is beginning to unravel too, as screams and gibberish from Ahati fill your head until you are unable to concentrate on anything else.

Then there is that itch inside you.

A slight tingle, growing.

Something was trying to make its way out of your body.

A. Despite the mental assault, you think you can muster enough concentration to unleash one last telekinetic blast on the core. It might not be enough to destroy it, but it could be enough to allow you to get away.

B. You have one arm free… once you get close enough, you plunge it into the maw, grab the core, and squeeze it into pulp before you are eaten. Sure, you might lose an arm, but you will definitely kill Ahati that way.

C. You let whatever it is inside you come forth.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    AKAAAAAAACHIIIIIIII!!!
    Let our innocence die.
    Sadly, flopped to B, due to reason.

^ Top  
  8. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Tempting to turn into a tentacle monster, but I don't know if that's a good idea, especially in the long-run, I still like the idea of Ean being human in form, rather than some creeping abomination.

Debating between A and B at the moment, they both have their own risks, A of lessening our mental defenses, and B of becoming too weak to face the remaining gieloth. I'll wait and hear some arguments before choosing.

^ Top  
  9. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    There are no other Gieloth remaining in Babylon.

B - it's the safe option.

^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Was Ramman the one we killed? It was rather vague, it could just as well have been one of their childer. I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

treave, is the tingling coming from our head, or is it actually a physical sensation coming from our body. Paranoid me is thinking it's Sek's sibling taking over, but I realise that's a long shot given the wording.

On another note, we should really get Sek to diagnose us, we need to understand what's going on before taking strange risks that could bite us in the back for a long-time

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Ramman is dead, yes. You can't describe the sensation, just that something is trying to emerge.

^ Top  
  12. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    It seems to me that Sekhenun's poisoning had more of an effect on Ramman than it did on Ahati:

Ramman is weaker than Ahati, so I think that we could handle him with only one arm like we did with Shulgi now that he's drugged. Oh yeah, C sounds completely retarded: we'd end up eating everybody in the room, including Sekhenun.

I don't think losing an arm will be a big deal. Considering that we are at pre-earthquake levels, the arm could probably regenerate in a little over a week. When Baran nearly chopped us in half back in Tjaru, we were still able to fight the day after, albeit in a weakened state. So I don't see a lost limb as a huge setback.

B

^ Top  
  13. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Yeah, B. We don't want our mind too close to the alien Gieloth presence.

I'm becoming more of a risk taker. This could increase our power to a level yet unreached. We may become more Gieloth in nature consequently and we may loose control and eat Sek, but I don't think we'll be stuck in tentacle mode all the time. If we ever want a chance to defeat the Masters, we have to accept that we will have to sacrifice our humanity in order to save it.

With all that said, I could flip again.

C

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It's not hunger this time by the way. You've discussed this with Sekhenun though I couldn't figure out where to slot in her theory in this update. Something different. Gieloth related though.

^ Top  
  15. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  16. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I don't really see a great reason to take the risk of C now. If we manage to kill Ahati here, then we've destroyed all of Marduk's lieutenants, the cult uprising will succeed, we'll have the Gutians, we'll have done everything right to face Marduk. So why risk having all of our work go to waste and go for a long dirtnap - again?

B

^ Top  
  17. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    I don't think it will lead to a dirt-nap, B by the sound of it has more chance of that. No, this will likely be the manifestation of a new power, however at a consequence, shifting us more towards a Gieloth in essence. At least that's my interpretation.

^ Top  
  18. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    After analyzing the situation and thinking about it, this is what I surmised:
    A- we get free and are incapacitated for the rest of the fight (psychic assault and wounds and all), which leaves it up to Sekhenun to finish Ahati off. I think we all see the problem here. Besides, something tells me that Sekhenun is either dead or incapacitated. Double the trouble then.

B- we lose an arm (as I read it, the whole appendage, up to the shoulder, not just the fapping part. Confirm, treave?), but we kill it for sure. Now, I don't know what our regenerative capabilities were at pre-earthquake level(again, is a confirm possible?), but our hand way back when took more than a couple of months to heal. It would not be the safest course of action in the long term, but short-term it is. And who can say what happens to Marduk on his way and during his stay in Greece?
    Of course there is that small chance that we die, or go to sleep (unless treave confirms that this will get her killed and keep us conscious.)

C- I honestly think this is Panharth, or whatever her name is, trying to break through now that our mental defenses are distracted (however, in that case, why didn't she do it while we were depowered?), and if we give in, we have a strong chance of losing our body to her for quite a bit of time. I don't think that Sekhenun will help us push her sister back in our subconscious (this may have been her plan all along. Not likely though), whatever the odds/cost are/is. Or, we'll just go batfuck insane. However, if we beat the odds, we stand a strong chance of getting an "ultimate form" and a considerable power boost. Also:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:( Can anyone here blame me? Can you, can you really?
    Of course, whatever happens, I'm rather sure that this will cancel out the Immortals' and other Gieloth's obliviousness towards Ean. Maybe due to stories, or due to them sensing us. And I'm also rather sure that this will kill Sekhenun, since she's already quite banged up, and unleashing whatever it is will not be safe for the surrounding environment.

So, I flopped as a result of my own arguments. As much as I'd love to be a massive douche for a couple of decades around the whole world. Hey, maybe we should find Shulgi and Naram and just troll them for a bit after we get done here, how about it, bros?

^ Top  
  20. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    About Sekhenun, assuming she survives this night, and doesn't betray us if she does, we should really, really strike a new deal with her. Last time, we did ask for way too much (friendship+all she knows+eternal loyalty, that was pushing it.) This time we should offer to lift the ban, no questions asked, in exchange for a permanent alliance, loyalty, fidelity (insofar as we both agree not to back stab one another or sell each other out) and not eating one another. Friendship will be a great bonus if it comes along, but not something you can negotiate.
    Yes, it may seem like a pointless concession and losing out on some good intel, but at least we can safely trust Sekhenun with anything (eg.: tests, plans, theories, healing, etc), because I, for one, am getting tired on speculating and constantly double-taking her dialogue and actions for signs of treason/plotting. Can't work like this, bros.

And, of course, I couldn't help myself:
    "Shut up baby, you love it."
    That line just makes me want to be bro with him/her/it all the more.

^ Top  
  22. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    B because I don't like C. We might get hurt badly, but if we take Ahati out our job here is done and we can regenerate before we need to face Zeus or Marduk. Hopefully.

But wouldn't it be safer to use a sword rather then an arm to do this?

^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    A is most likely to be the dirtnap choice:

Despite our mistrust of Sek, she's an amazing source of information and might help us unlock light manipulation powers from Pahnrath's knowledge in a far more controlled manner than giving into this urge will. I also don't like the idea of Ean giving into the dark whispers of the tentacles and possibly having to contend with both his hunger and Pahnrath's resurfacing consciousness. I want to play it safe because I want to ensure that Ean remains in control of his actions. We have enough trouble dealing with Ean's anger, I definitely don't want to add the trouble of dealing with a separate consciousness trying to control us into the mix as well, it sounds like a disaster.

Keep in mind that back in Tjaru, had we decided to steel ourselves against Nabu's psychic assault, we would be in the same position that Pahnrath probably is right now. Fragments of consciousness attempting to assume control of a body. I'd rather not be on the receiving end of that, and C makes that more likely. C provides short-term power, but it results in losing a piece of Ean's autonomy. I simply can't trust in something like that.

Recall our first meeting with Sekhenun:

If we choose C, I doubt that what we stole from Pahnrath will truly be our own any more.

As far as recovery time for a lost arm goes, I'm estimating that we're looking at anywhere from a few weeks to a month at most. Basically, the amount of time it would take to rally our army comprised of Gutian warriors and Babylonian defectors/rebels and take them to Greece. Given the choices we've made so far (i.e. rallying the Gutians to minimize losses and gaining their loyalty), we should be able to rally a sizeable army in the meantime to compensate for our handicap in the meantime. We are fresh from our last feeding, so we have some time before we start to see a decline in our abilities.

This was Ean's regeneration ability at the beginning of Chapter 3:

Since we're now at pre-earthquake power, our regeneration ability is probably significantly better. I'm basing that on the fact that Baran nearly cut us in half back in Tjaru and the voices estimated that the recovery time would only be a few days at most. We should definitely pick B, it's better in the long run.

^ Top  
  24. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    B

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Actually, if we do that, we'll have to come clean with the whole immortal thing. Unless you want this to happen:
    "Didn't you lose an arm?"
    "...yeah."
    "So, the fuck's going on, then?"
    Cue him thinking us one of Marduk's monsters.
    Actually, judging by his character, he's a guy that's more liable to get angry at us for lying/"withholding" information. And the longer we do that, the angrier he will get when he finds out. And, yes, it is a matter of when.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.