Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A. Time to do what we do best.
    Actually, thanks to the twins still being alive, an army will be useless. C is the way to go.
    B. Because Runi.
    treave: I know I'm getting ahaed, but what would we need to call a meteor down from the sky? Godlike telekinesis?
    P.S.: Gelding? Niiiice.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    That and space radar, to tell you where to find it.

^ Top  
  3. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    C. Cut off the head, the body will die.

^ Top  
  4. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I don't think that we should pick C, we've already distracted Ares and bought time for Memphis by sending back his sons alive. We should arrive in Memphis once we've proved the fact that we're Runi.

Based on the twins' abilities, I believe that this war is going to be decided on morale - the side with the men that are braver and more confident in achieving victory is the side that's going to better withstand the twins' fear psionics and be able to fight in spite of that. Despite the fact that we returned to Tjaru once again, even this commander is still not sure that we're the same Runi that lived ~80 years ago. We need to make the Egyptian people believe, and we need to strike terror into Greek ranks to make the twins' abilities even more useless.

That's why I say we should pick B. With their fleet destroyed and no way of coming home, Greek morale will plummet, but just as importantly, it will serve as proof that Runi has returned again and give the Egyptians hope.

B

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    C. Roll the die again. I do think we should have eaten the sons though to bolster our powers. Oh well. Let's keep our eyes peeled for some tasty bandits.

Also unrelated, we need to become an educated renaissance man to slowly unlock more of ours powers. When we get back let's beg Sek to tutor us so we can develop powers. Perhaps medicine? It'd be nice to enhance our regeneration. It's the perfect opportunity for treave to create some big sis Sek moments. "Ean learns to count"

Also flipping to B in agreeance with Esquilax, destroying their supply lines should hinder them somewhat and give heart to the Egyptians that Runi lives again.

B

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Thoughts so far: Ares is our, I would think, first encounter with a mythological figure. And something tells me that treave won't copy-paste the deities' personalities in this LP, as that would be much too predictable and boring. Right now we simply must hope that we are reading Ares correctly, because if we are not, we may lose Memphis. Letting capitals fall is not a good anything by any definition of everything.

Ares is pretty much just steamrolling to Memphis now: he's not bothering to occupy villages and/or subjugate the populace. This leads me to believe that his presence here is a hit-and-run: knock Egypt out of the picture by demoralizing them and get back to Greece. Marduk is making big advances there, and a military commander is what Greece needs the most. Yes, burning his fleet will leave him stranded here, but if I'm right, he will also say "Fuck it" and continue on to Memphis. And where does that leave us?

On the other hand, let him take Memphis. In fact, fuck Memphis, and fuck Tennessee too. We're Runi, Son of Osiris, and that counts for way more than any single city. If we play this the Runi way, we'll have Egypt under our command and open a second front in Greece. That will also mean that we forfeit whatever hopes we had for Babylon for the duration of this charade (because we can't split in two. Actually, treave, is this a learnable ability?), an idea of which I am not a fan.

Hence, I am sticking to C. I rather like Babylon right now, until we go LARP Jormungandr up north. Or play conquistador a couple millenia ahead of schedule.

Another question, treave: how strong is Ean's telekinesis? I just had the idea of dropping Olympus on Zeus and Marduk repeatedly and then grinding them into cocaine. Like a mortar and pestle.:smug:

^ Top  
  7. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  8. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Baltika9: It's our second, actually. Aphrodite, remember? We know all too well that she was pretty similar to her mythological counterpart.

Defending Memphis is wildly inconsistent with the choice we made previously: we chose to let the twins go in hopes of drawing Ares away from Memphis, so why go towards Memphis? Since we've chosen an overall strategy of "COME AT ME BRO", it would be stupid to go there now.

Also, it's important to note that the survivors suffered a humiliating defeat to Ares just two weeks ago, and morale is low; the terror twins are going to have a fucking field day using their powers on men who are already terrified. People are still unaware that Runi has returned to save Egypt again, so if we show up in Memphis declaring that we're the Son of Osiris without any deeds/proof to back it up, we're going to be greeted with contempt.

So before we do anything, we must first establish that the legend has returned. A is bad because actions speak louder than words (and besides, the commander of the Tjaru garrison will handle recruitment if we pick B. Sinking the Greek fleet will make his job easy), and C is bad because the terror twins would wreak havoc on a group of men who just had their asses kicked by Ares a few weeks ago. As I've stated earlier, morale will be the key to winning this war.

Anyways, I am positive that B will work. I am quite certain that Ares an impatient, bloodthirsty hothead like his mythological counterpart, but even if he isn't, this is exactly the sort of provocation that he won't be able to ignore. First we geld his sons, then we sink his fleet and kill 1,000 of his men: he looks like a bitch in front of his own men who can't go back home, and we look like a daring hero to the Egyptians. He'll pretty much have to change his plans if we sink his fleet - he knows that he could kill the Pharaoh at any time, but the longer he ignores Runi, the more he becomes a problem.

Hannibal did this "let's piss off the enemy to draw them out until they do something stupid" tactic to great effect before, and I think it'll work brilliantly here.

^ Top  
  9. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Yep, going B here.

I wish I had more artistic ability than just stick-figures. I'm imagining Ean with a shit-eating grin on his face going "Huked on fonix werked for me!" while Sekhenun tentacle face-palms in the background.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Tough choice. I'm against C because as Equilax said, we have let his sons go to draw him to us, so let him come to us. B sound suitably heroic, but I'm not sure if A wouldn't be better. Yeah, B might be a great blow to the Greek morale, but destroying their way back home might also increase their resolve - it's victory or death for them then, no retreat possible. A will also give us more bodies for our army - but how effective they would be is a different matter. I'm not sure.

This is why interrogating those two jokers was critical. treave, did we at least learn something about Ares before we letting them go? What are his powers? How did he defeat Egyptian-Babylonian army? In battle, does he behave like Ean does (charging in the enemy forces and killing them by the thousands) or does he stay back and rain death with his powers? What is his character - duty before all or is his honor / honor of his sons more important? Don't tell me we have just let them go without learning at least this much?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Also, how did they come to be? I'm very curious about the how of the procreation of immortals.. :M

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Do remember your telepathy isn't limitless (yet), and you're dealing with immortals who have some capacity of protecting their own mind. You will not get enough information to perform a character study on Ares, especially given that you're extracting it from a second hand source.

What you find out is that Ares is a haughty war god and he's here to kill the Pharaoh. Expect the usual martial feats associated with haughty war gods.

^ Top  
  13. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I'm disappointed we let them go, if they didn't really give us any useful info. :rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Yeah, if we had the time to geld them, we should have had time to "talk" to them :decline:

Who cares if they're resistant to psionics. Are they resistant to pain as well? "I can make the pain go away. Trust me. Just talk."

^ Top  
  15. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    And we could have interrogated them separately to make sure they were not lying even if they were resistant to psionics. If we were prepared to go as far as gelding them, we could have extracted from them just about everything they know. Ah, well.

^ Top  
  16. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Uh... What other information do you guys want anyway?

^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Are they literally his sons, as in begotten by biological pairing between male and female, and if yes, did it involve a mortal female?

Knowing this would make some potential choices put before Ean easier. :M

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Meta info: Yes. No.

No, seriously, what other information of value do you guys think they should have other than troop disposition and Ares's strength?

Edit: they know their parentage but it's not something Ean would think to ask since it's a bit of a non sequitur.. Shulgi would have, his whole schtick is about accumulating knowledge and power, but not Ean. He's still a bit of a straight arrow.

^ Top  
  19. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Much obliged. I just assumed they would know. :salute:

^ Top  
  20. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Still don't see why we did it, but since we sent the sons back alive, it seems hardly worthwhile to then run after them and reach Ares on their heels. C is just completely contradictory, we should have eaten them if we wanted to do that.

As Esquilax says, B is the best method; remember, our goal isn't to destroy Ares by any means, it is to destroy Ares in a manner that confirms to all Egyptians that we are truly Runi Returned.

^ Top  
  21. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Names and powers of every immortal they know - in particular are there any other immortals in Egypt? And everything they know about Zeus. What are his powers? How many immortals does he have?

As for Ares - how did he defeat the Egyptian-Babylonian army? Did he just do what we do - charge and kill as many of them as possible before they rout? Does he have any other powers besides (presumably) super strength, speed and weapon skills?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    B

^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I'm torn between A and B. C is still the shit option.

Good points. We can't go to Memphis because it would be a flip-flopping disaster, but sinking the boats might only embolden Ares' men further. However, would it embolden the Greeks to go march on Memphis, or would it embolden them to change course and try to deal with us instead? Given the humiliation we inflicted on Ares' sons, I'm thinking it's the latter.

It's crucial that we buy some time for the survivors at Memphis so that they can fall back to Herakleopolis. With a successful mission in Pikuat, the commander we met at Tjaru should have little trouble procuring conscripts to defend Egypt. My problem with A is that it doesn't do anything really heroic to get people to really believe that we're Runi. Look at this:

Ares displayed his strength to intimidate the cities of the Delta, so we have to display ours to restore faith in the country.

As far as the issue with the boats, couldn't we just kill Ares' garrison and leave the boats intact? I think that gets our message across nicely: "Go home." In fact, we should probably leave some of the garrison alive so that when they report to Ares, they can sow dissent and mutiny in his ranks. It would put Ares in a Catch-22 situation: either he marches on Memphis while dealing with a ton of desertion issues, or he wastes a few days returning to Pikuat to burn down his remaining ships so that he can get his men back in line.

In any case, we'll cross that bridge when we reach it. B will work, but I'm more concerned about the consequences that it could cause down the road if we defeat Ares; we'll have no way of bringing our army to Greece if we burn down all of Ares' ships. That means that our Egyptian troops in Greece, who are probably getting battered over there, won't be receiving any fresh reinforcements.

Tigranes, we let the twins go in hopes of drawing Ares away from Memphis by provoking him. Based on our initial move, I think our goal should be to buy enough time for the surviving Egypt-Babylon forces to retreat into the better fortified Herakleopolis (where the Pharaoh is located), while establishing our reputation as Runi in the meantime. With the men's morale restored and a mighty fortress, we have a very good chance at winning. Here's a map of Egypt below:

[​IMG]

So I think that's the gist of it: B would mean quickly establishing our legend as Runi in the short-term, but sacrificing long-term effectiveness. Given the terror twins' abilities, I would say that in this war, courage and morale will count for more than skill in battle: a brave peasant who knows Runi has come to save Egypt is worth more than a soldier who's lost all heart.

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    For the first part, Ares and the twins are the only immortals in Egypt. Which is why you don't get an infodump about every member of Zeus's little gang back in Greece. Knowing that Zeus can throw lightning bolts won't affect whatever decision you're going to make in this update. Furthermore, because Ean is here, he's focused on taking back Egypt. If he were more concerned about the Greek immortals he'd have gone to Greece.

Secondly, Ares is noted for physical skills, but he has access to other powers like you do. Expect minor telekinesis and telepathy, with a sprinkling of elemental powers. You don't know exactly how good he is at the other powers because he rarely uses them and if you want some score card detailing the Power Level of each of your enemies, you should find and ask someone who does that sort of cataloging. (There is such an immortal)

The attack was an ambush. They charged him and he killed them until they quit.

Not very complex and again, it is something that should only affect your decision when you fight him. As I've mentioned before, think haughty war god.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Flopped to B, because of Esquilax and "RUNI FUCK YEAH!"
    Esquilax: I think B is the correct option here. See, you have a point with the whole morale thing (I said the same thing about Ean's balls being the only inspiration the men will ever need), but as yourselves bros, who would you have more faith in: a random dude that strides into your village yelling "I am Runi, Son of Osiris!" at the top of his lungs, or a random dude yelling "I am Runi, Son of Osiris!" at the top of his lungs, after he sunk an entire fleet under the noses of a thousand Greek soldiers? Besides, brave soldiers are better than brave peasants in any situation. Essentially it is the quality option of the quality v quantity scale.
    And, yeah, I totally forgot about the psycho bitch.

Edit: bros, we'd better marry Iltani ASAP, until she meets Ares, or goes with us to sabotage. And then send her home. Until she dies.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.