Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. changing my vote:
    newcomer's idea + don't feed + sneak up + give Iltani the speech someone wrote earlier.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I think Iltani will be safe if she passes the hiding check.

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, all right. Looks like an actual consensus is going to take forever since you guys are getting more and more creative the longer I wait. :lol:
    Guess I'll just have to mix and match a bit, and keep this update to regular CYOA so that we can up the speed a bit. Sorry to ScubaV, but I'm going to try to convey the idea of your speech combined with the latest plan rather than cribbing the words wholesale. :salute:

Chapter 5.18: Peak

You put a hand on Iltani’s head, feeling a slight tremor go through her short frame as you did so. You look up at the mountain path, where the sounds of battle were beginning to recede. It looks like Marduk’s men were making quick progress.

“Ares will be coming here soon, and I have plans for him when he does. I’ll need to know when he’s coming. Can you do that for me?”

She nods. She had been silent ever since you began your trek up the mountain, and the bodies began piling up. Although she was familiar with death, it seemed that she was not familiar with death on this scale.

“Hide somewhere safe and prepare a fire. Ares’s passage should be unmistakeable, and he will not bother with anyone but me right now. Once you see him, light it up. I’ll keep an eye out for your signal.”

She nods again. You ruffle her straw-blonde hair and try to grin, despite the worries you have about the upcoming battle. “You’re the only one I have to do this. Don’t mess up and this should settle your debt to me many times over.”

It’s not about the debt.

“Hm?”

“I won’t mess up. Don’t be an idiot.”

“Ha, there’s the Iltani I know.”

She starts turning red, and begins to move away, but you keep your grip on her head firmly. “Wait.”

“Could you stop holding on to my head? What is it now?” she mutters indignantly. You turn her around to face you, and before she can react, you lean in and place your lips gently and quickly against her forehead.

“For luck. I’ll see you in while.”

Her face turns utterly red, but you don’t stay to wait for a reaction. In a blink of an eye, you are already gone, running towards the peak.

On your way up, you put on the helmet and breastplate of a fallen Sumerian. The pulsing Vajra piece was made part of Anbar-Shi. You could feel power coursing through the sword as you did so. A faint blue glow appears sporadically from the blade, as tiny sparks of electricity leap from it. You wrap up Anbar-Shi with strips of cloth from the fallen soldiers, and pick up a spear to wield. On your left arm – its form had almost returned but still lacked fingers, and did not move as you would like it – you strapped a shield to protect your flank. Something was better than nothing.

The very first person you met at the rear at the battle turned out,by a lucky twist of fate, to be Edem, commanding the last remaining tower from the rear. He does not notice your arrival, and you stand right below the tower before projecting a human presence. You feel his puzzlement, and then recognition.

I thought you were supposed to be in Egypt.

I was, then I pissed Ares enough to come after me.

Good show, I don’t think I’d like to be here when he reaches us.

I was thinking of letting Marduk deal with him, actually. How’s the fight going?

Pretty good, if you consider having most of our own men killed off as long as you win good. Marduk and Shamash are up front. The Greeks have somehow found it in themselves to fight fanatically for Zeus, but they will be slaughtered to the last man pretty soon. Speaking of Zeus – DUCK!

You see Edem leap from the top of the tower. A large streak of lightning strikes the place where he was moments before, and the tower instantly bursts into flames.
    Edem lands besides you with a thud and sighs loudly. You look at up the dark skies, which appeared to be clearing up.

That’s our last one. It’s too late to make a difference, though. Looks like Zeus is all out of bolts too… and shush, he comes. If you’re going to make a move, I’m with you.

Edem’s presence melts away from your mind quickly.

“Edem!”

A tall, broad-shouldered man comes crashing through the ranks. Despite wearing common armour and clothing, you recognize his bearded face from the numerous statues back in Babylon.

Marduk.

Edem bowed, and spoke carefully and politely, “It looks like your gambit was correct, sire. Zeus was too distracted by the power of our towers and wasted his bolts against them. Now he has nothing to defend himself with.”

“No, Zeus is wily and cautious. There is always one last bolt.” Marduk pointed upwards, where the skies remained grey. “He is just waiting for the right time to fry me with it. Pity, he is going to miss. Shamash is acting as my decoy, wearing my armour at the front. The disguise is almost perfect. One more push and he will be forced to play his hand.” At this, Marduk grinned viciously. Turning about, he notices you standing besides Edem. He stares at you for a long, uncomfortable while, and you make a quick bow, keeping your head down.

“You look like you can fight. What is your name?” Marduk asks.

“Naram, Lord Marduk. I used to be a shepherd, Lord Marduk.”

“Those must be some very vicious sheep you have there, Naram. Were they what mauled your arm? Well, the battle’s end is close at hand. When I am god over the Greeks too, you will all be blessed with untold riches and glory.”

He chuckles for a while, and adds, “If you survive.”

Thunder booms across the sky and it darkens yet again. This time, rain begins to fall. Strong winds begin to blow about and you are forced to steady yourself to maintain your balance. It looks like Zeus had saved his best shot for last. Looking at Marduk, you see that he stands unaffected, his cloak and hair unmoving despite the forceful winds. You could just about notice a slight movement in the air around him, a protective cocoon of wind that negated the gale brought about by Zeus’s storm. An expression of almost gleeful confidence has set upon his face.

“Shamash is charging, my lord?”

“Yes. Zeus is falling for it!”

Anbar-Shi thrums as it senses the gathering storm…

A. You await Zeus to strike Shamash. Once Marduk prepares to go back to the front, you and Edem will attack him from behind, trying to cut him down right where he stands.

B. Ares is not yet here. You will follow Marduk back to the front and battle towards Zeus until Ares reaches the rear of the Sumerians and Egyptians. You will then exploit the havoc caused by his arrival to try and stab Marduk in the back.

C. You attack Marduk before Zeus unleashes his bolt. With any luck, you can force Marduk to reveal his power, attracting Zeus’s attention – and thus his lightning bolt.

D. Having brought a piece of Vajra with you, you can sense the immense power gathered in the storm over you. You realize that if you time it right, you can add the power of your Vajra fragment to Zeus’s strike and hijack it to hit Marduk. FRY THE MOTHERFUCKER!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I'm liking D. It could open up a new skill tree. And that way we maintain secrecy, there is no way that bolt is tracked back to Ean. And what's best, if it doesn't work, we still have Edem in our sleeve.

^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Finally! Told ya it'd end up like that :P

Yep, D sounds sensible. Though I suspect the bolt might fry us a bit too :D

^ Top  
  6. D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    D!
    The skill options are always the best. We expend none of our power and can kick Ares in the nuts. And save Iltani.
    The cocoon worries me insofar as it could be a telekinetic shield and will negate our sneak attack.
    Edit2: Or his Vajra piece negates ours. And no, I don't think his shield will work against empowered, overcharged lightning. D is the best option here, I'm sure.
    On second thought, treave can Ean sense anything unusual about Marduk? Besides being a super-powered Gieloth?
    Edit2: Also, when Ean kills Marduk, can he say something like "Surprise motherfucker!This is what you get for stealing my shit." And how is Panharth's knowledge. We got anything yet? How about the Tentaculos Mexicanos?

^ Top  
  9. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    D

Isn't this one of the reasons we bring Vajra in the first place?

Wait, protective cocoon of wind? Can it negate lightning strikes? I hope anyone can confirm
    Changing vote to A for now

^ Top  
  10. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I like D a lot, but it almost seems too good to be true. It potentially won't be traceable to us, leaving the element of surprise still available. It weakens (doubtful it will kill) Marduk. And it expends the last of Zeus's lightning in case we need to fight him as well. Still, I'm going to vote for it unless someone can offer a good reason not to or why another option is better. Esquilax Smashing Axe

^ Top  
  11. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
    D seems the best. Even if Marduk survives, he won't be in the position to telepathicaly contact Shamash and I don't think Marduk would be able to survive very long under a combined attack from Ean and Edem. Shamash will probably continue charging Olympuss. Zeus and Hera will notcie something is up, but they are not in the position to do something about it.

Unless something unfortunate happens, like sucumbing to hunger because of the strain, I don't see a reason not to pick D.

^ Top  
  12. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    D

^ Top  
  13. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    First, I want to give props to newcomer for the creative and unorthodox solution he came up with. The only concern now is how the presence of Vajra might change our battle with Zeus. I could see having all three pieces of the Vajra in the same room as Zeus backfiring on us. Marduk may be the biggest and most power-hungry asshole in the world, but I can't deny that he is a likeable dude. He's a funny guy, which is why we should kill him last:

I'd advise everybody voting to not worry at all if this choice opens up a skill tree or not. It won't, but even if it did, we have bigger concerns than an immediate power boost with all the risks out here. The lightning bolt will work, and it's going to wound Marduk, but don't think that we're going to come out of this one unscathed. Remember how we fared against Nabu's lightning during the Battle of Tjaru:

We're faster than we were at Tjaru, but I suspect that we still can't dodge lightning yet. We just aren't quick enough to time this thing without getting badly hurt in the process, and we've got a lot more people to kill before the day is done. I believe that D is going to work - forget the protective cocoon Marduk has, if he wasn't wary of Zeus' bolts, he wouldn't have used Shamash as a decoy in the first place. However, I also think that it will affect our ability to properly deal with Zeus, Hera and Ares after this. This battle is a marathon, not a sprint, so we shouldn't grasp at every opportunity so short-sightedly. If going after Baran at Tjaru has taught us anything, it's this.

Worse yet, our hunger is an issue. Remember, this is Zeus' most powerful lightning bolt that he's saved up for the end, we are going to get fucked up pretty badly here. We haven't fed, so if this puts us in a near-death situation and results in going berserk on Edem, our whole plan is ruined. We're too close to victory to do stupid shit now. We already have a plan to deal with Marduk, and circumstances right now don't warrant changing it on the fly.

A) Sek is alive, I'm pretty sure Edem will back us up. Taking him by surprise with Edem's help will work. We have our piece of Vajra giving Ean a power boost. This one is straightforward.

Voting A
    Flopped to D

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait a second. Bloodthirsty. Loves to fight. Loves to conquer. Constantly seeks out new challenges. Sneaky git. Doesn't care about casualties, so long as there is a BIG FOIGHT.
    Could it be that Marduk, hell, even all Gieloth actually are...
    [​IMG]
    :what:
    Masters or Gieloth, we're fucked either way, aren't we?

Esquilax: See, here is where we get into the important part. Do we kill Marduk now and call it quits while we're ahead, but risk Zeus' power to grow out of our control? Or do we play them one against the other and get rid of both of them. Yes, Holy Terra is safe, but only for a while. Remember, Marduk is public enemy #1 for the Masters, they do not know about Ean yet (who's much badder, and hence a bigger problem, than Marduk). And if they do find out someone other than Marduk killed Zeus(not hard to deduce if your Avatar dies after Marduk), or Marduk kills Zeus because we fuck up (never ignore that possibility), then Holy Terra is fucked, because it is not yet ready and the Masters will not calm down until Ean/Super Marduk/both are dead.
    And, yes, drawing Ares here had a point. Egypt's rape will be much less damaging, albeit also less tasteful.

^ Top  
  15. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Esquilax, presumably since Ean is redirecting the lightning bolt he'll know where and when to expect it, or at least roughly. He should be able to avoid most, if not all, the splash damage.

^ Top  
  16. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I think C is the worst option here. Marduk knows just as well that showing his full powers will attract Zeus' attention to him, so why would he fight with full power? Especially if we are just going to taunt him and fight for show. And if we go with full power ourself, Zeus might strike us. And we have no idea if the bolt will even kill Marduk. With D, our Vajra adds more power to the strike so it will be more crippling.

B isn't that much better than C. The whole plan is to use our blank mind and general havoc to our advantage. We could do that anytime we want, even after our suprise attack, thus netting us a second suprise attack.

And it isn't flip flopping if we decide not to include Ares in our plan. It is just evaluating which elements we are going to use and which to ignore. Situations are going to change and we have to react to them, not blindly go with the plan formed ages ago. And besides, half the plan back then was to get Ares away from Egypt.

^ Top  
  17. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Baltika9: We can't leave Zeus alive. They all have to die. This was Sekhenun's plan from the beginning:

Zeus' army is gone, he's all out of thunderbolts, and the rest of his pantheon is either dead or scattered. We'll never have a chance like this again. We'll get some attention from the Masters, but with Sekhenun and Edem's help, I feel that we can learn to evade them. Also, we don't really know how Edem would feel about cutting and running. This guy wants Marduk dead, but he also very likely wants Zeus dead too.

For Sek's plan to work, I think she needs a few centuries of peace and quiet to promote Gieloth coexistence with Humanity. That means no Marduk and no Zeus. Leaving him alive is a big mistake. The Masters will see what a close call the Marduk situation was, and maybe they'll create more immortals and avatars to back Zeus up. What if we have to deal with the avatars known as Hades and Poseidon a few centuries down the line, in addition to Zeus?

There's a risk of Marduk not taking the bait, but there is no risk of Zeus striking us. We have no psychic presence, so Zeus wouldn't even know that we're here to begin with. However, after reviewing my post again, I do agree that C is the worst option. Marduk has fought this battle very intelligently, and because of that I don't think he'll take the bait. We'll just blow our cover and be forced into a straight-up fight against Marduk after Shamash has been struck by lightning.

A surprise attack isn't worth much if we're too wounded from this one to take advantage of it. We brought Ares here in part to save Egypt, but also in part so that he can be used as a distraction against Marduk. We've executed the first part of the plan, but it looks like the second part isn't quite feasible. That's fine, because A seems like a good bet here. Edem's psionics seem like the thing to get Marduk to momentarily drop his protective cocoon* so that we can take him out - he's our ace in the hole. The composition of the battle is like this:

Greeks: Zeus, Hera, Ares
    Babylonians: Marduk, Shamash
    Rebels: Ean, Edem

We have five targets, and we need to make sure that we take as little damage as possible before we reach Zeus. D would neutralize or weaken Marduk, but it would drastically push the balance of power toward the Greek side and probably result in Ean getting hurt. However, if we pick A, we ensure that the next few battles are arranged into more manageable chunks that are lower-risk:

Zeus kills Shamash, Ean and Edem team up to take out Marduk (Edem fires off a psionic assault to get Marduk's shields down, we then proceed to tear him to shreds). Once Ares shows up, we team up again to eliminate him. There's no danger from Zeus anymore at that point, so we can take them out with impunity. From there, we can make our way towards Hera and a spent Zeus while we're still relatively fresh.

* treave, is Marduk's cocoon from the telekinesis tree? Also, an off-topic question regarding avatars: back when we were in Egypt and had the option of using the Sceptre of Ra, would that have resulted in a Master possessing someone (i.e. Akil) and an avatar being created?

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Esquilax, I know there''s a lot of ways this can go wrong, that there are many valid arguments against it, but I want to do D for this and this alone:

As you gaze upon upon Marduk's charred remains, writhing their last as his lungs take their last, painful gasps, you look him in the eyes and only one phrase comes to your mind:
    "Well buddy, looks like you've been...THUNDERSTRUCK!"
    :yeah:
    And screw the consequences, time to press the awesum buttan. Besides, I have the nagging feeling that we will come out ahead here.
    Edit: Seriously, treave. Can you squeeze this one in?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Esquilax: No, Marduk is known for his seven winds. You can think of it like a highly specialized branch of telekinesis though, just like how conjuring fire is also a highly specialized branch of the same. As for the Sceptre, it would have possessed someone, yes, and brought all the humans in Heliopolis to death or near it in the process as sacrifices.

Baltika9: Very punny.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What the fuck is their problem? Seriously, how much of a dick do you have to be to do that?

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The more humans around in the vicinity when the key is activated, the closer the avatar is to the full abilities of the masters.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the summoning process. For them to come through people have to be "displaced" from this world. You could blame the Gieloth for cutting their link and forcing them to fall back on this method.

Also you already got an infodump and now you want another one?

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I suddenly feel reaffirmed in my decision to side with the Gieloth. I even feel somewhat grateful towards Theseus for leading us to become Marius Hax 2.0. Fuck those guys, seriously. I'm even getting the odd Vibe that Marduk isn't doing all this to "Gain power, kill Masters."

And what about those Mexicanos? And Panharth's knowledge?

Edit:
    Nah, I'm just asking if anything noteworthy came up, like the American Gieloth landing in China and raping their way across the nation. Or Panharth's brain giving us some more information.
    Although if you want to make another infodump, don't let me of all people stop you.
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Anyone else getting the feeling that Zeus is really Naram?

We already know that Naram had elemental powers. Apparently he summoned pillars of fire centuries ago to lay waste to Shulgi's kingdom. Now if he has succeeded in finding a new sceptre or other summoning thing, it would be natural for him to assume another persona now that he is in Greece.

If indeed it is Naram, I agree we need to take him down.

As it is, I'd rather have Ean fight them one by one, and not both together. Taking down Marduk before he begins his dance with Zeus seems prudent. I'm partial to either B or D, not convinced for either yet.

^ Top  
  25. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Anyone else wonder where and when Zeus were summoned and how close he is to full master powers?

Edit: 2999 posts in this thread. Thank you treave.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.