Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can have the toxin on your sword instantly. And who says Marduk is dead? Zeus didn't destroy the core, just took back the piece :troll:

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, we can count on him to fuck over either us or Zeus. Probably us. Wait a second...
    Oh...oh shit. The moment we kill Zeus Marduk will devour him. Oh fuck.
    Treave, you magnificent sunuvabitch.
    Goddammit, why don't Gieloth die like they used to?

Edit: Anyways, I'm voting for my mod to newcomer's plan:
    E. Feign submission and smite that soggy, interstellar cunt down. Don't forget to add the poison as per Esquilax. Of course, if he moves in to get it, we cut him down. If not, we throw it.

It's risky, but the payoff is magnificent. Then we can strike Marduk down as he devours Zeus. This is just one boss fight we're not thinking our way out of, huh? The easy/smart way is not for Ean, never was.
    Feel free to tear my plan a new one, or a couple new ones, as yous see fit. Paging Esquilax.
    Edit2: And if we later decide to stay in Greece to help rebuild, well, we already have a name, don't we?

^ Top  
  3. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Let's eat everyone. I won't accept running away when the battle hasn't even begun.

C

In retrospect I think B would have been the best choice, although if Marduk is still in the game we might come out of this ahead. Grr, why can't everything be easy?

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Actually, now that Marduk is alive and still hasn't unleashed his trump card, I'm thinking it's time to stall Zeus with some patented rat diplomacy (tm) until Marduk is able to devour him. Once he does so, he'll be weakened from the lightning bolt and still vulnerable post-devouring, so killing him with Edem will be easy. I'd rather not waste our strength on all of those fights, especially with Ares on his way.

Voting A for now.

C

^ Top  
  5. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I agree with the discussion so far. A does not favor us with Ares arriving at any moment and Hera's whereabouts unknown. And Zeus, as strong as he is, has exhausted his primary skill so I'm not about to vote running away. So that leaves a vanilla attack or something creative.

Poisoning is good as is fake-submitting to Zeus and then stabbing him when he comes to take Vajra. What about Marduk's artifact, the thing that was supposed to let him devour people? I was never too clear on what exactly that was. Was is just his Vajra fragment? Is it still on his remains? Perhaps we can utilize that.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    There is also the issue of whether or not to communicate with Edem, whatever we do. For all we know, Zeus can read Ean's signals. Any confirm on that one, treave (don't blame me for trying)?

^ Top  
  7. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I don't think we should take the chance of communicating with Edem. I'm hoping that because of our alliance with Sekhenun, Edem is going to trust us enough to let us do our thing.

Running away is bad, no question. Ares is going to block our path, then Zeus will catch up to us.

However, I'm not sure that a straight-up fight is really that much better. The problem here is that Zeus has two pieces of Vajra compared to our one. Fighting him straight-up like this is a bad idea. Even with Edem helping us, it'll be very hard.

I'd advise everyone to reconsider A. Marduk is down, but he's not out. Even in his state, I think that the fragment will work perfectly. Marduk is so weak at this point that even when he does use his trump card, he's going to be way too weak after the lightning strike to pose a challenge to Ean and Edem.

However, if you guys want to fight Zeus with brutal cunning, I think I have a plan:

D) "Zeus, destroy the core! Get it now or Marduk will devour you!" If he can read our thoughts, it's not lying, because it's technically the truth. Then, once he's turned around and distracted, close the distance and strike him down with a poisoned Anbar-Shi. All we need is a moment.

Edit: Pretty cool that Ean's designation is [GIL]. Naram's must be [ENK], but I wonder what Shulgi's would be.

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What if he says "No", though? Ean doesn't know about the Devourer, only we do. It's worth a try, but only as an addition to another plan.
    And, having thought about, yeah, keep quiet and hope Edem really is like me, i.e a smartass smart ass both.

^ Top  
  9. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Just requoting this. I'm guessing in practical terms it means that if we destroy the host, the entity known as Zeus will lose its connection to our world unless it has all 3 pieces of Vajra. I think at no time should we give up physical possession of Anbar-Shi or the Vajra fragment it contains, meaning no throwing.

treave, does Ean know about Marduk's devouring artifact? If so, does he think he can pull it from his charred body with telekinesis and use it?

^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I think you guys are trying to be too tricksy, it relies on too many contingencies that if wrong could spell our defeat forthwith. Either A to stall him for Marduk intervention, or C to defeat Zeus, eat him, then get eaten by Marduk, to then eat him in return.

^ Top  
  11. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    One thing that might work to our advantage here is that Ean hasn't fed in months. If we're brought close to death, our rage might be the only thing that gets us out of here in one piece. And hey, if not, at least we'll take a good chunk of Olympus with us.

Smashing Axe, I agree to a certain extent. We should really be careful about doing anything "clever", but we should also keep in mind that Zeus probably doesn't know what to make of us and his guard is down. Ean's mind is difficult to read because of his nature, so as long as we don't do anything stupid like send messages to Edem, Zeus probably won't notice our murderous intent.

I thought Ean knew about it because of his mysterious powers of infodump clairvoyance.

Nevertheless, we just intervened on Zeus' behalf, so I believe that we have the upper hand in making him trust us. Zeus doesn't really know what to make of our nature (because he doesn't know that we're Unbound yet), but I do think that the best option is one of these two:

(1) Negotiate with Zeus: Initially, I thought this would be stupid seeing as Ares is arriving and Hera is still around. However, Marduk is still alive and he has one last trick to pull out of his sleeve. Let him do his thing, then deal with a weakened Marduk while we're at full-strength. I think that this is our best option.

Yes, I'm aware that Ares would arrive at this point, but we'd be at full-strength, with our dose of toxin prepared for him.

(2) Straight-up fight. An important thing to note: Zeus was out of lightning bolts when he had one piece of Vajra. Now he has two pieces. We know that Vajra boosts the powers of Immortals/Masters, so I'm betting that acquiring this second piece may have given him enough juice for an extra lightning bolt. Fuck.

(3) Brutal cunning: Also carries the risks that Smashing Axe mentioned. However, I really do think that this newly acquired piece of Vajra poses serious problems for us. Either we're going to be put into a near-death state and go berserk (possibly feasting on Edem along the way) or Edem gets zapped and we lose a great asset/backup.

^ Top  
  12. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    A.

Let's just negotiate for the moment... if Marduk gets back up, he isn't going to be happy, and it'd be nice to have a friend-ish sort of guy to help take him down.

^ Top  
  13. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    A

^ Top  
  14. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    A
    Leaning towards E but as it stands Zeus needs the last piece to kill Marduk remember WE are the strongest IMMORTAL and Marduk is the strongest Gieloth Zeus can't beat him even in his weaken state

So buy time till Marduk recovers

^ Top  
  15. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    What? Zeus could kill him right now, it's just that he no longer thinks that Marduk is a threat now, so he's talking to us instead. The only thing that Marduk has going for him is his trump card at this point. Which I'm hoping he'll be forced to use shortly.

That's totally not what I meant in my post. Zeus is not our friend any more than Marduk is - fuck them both, they all need to die. Zeus with a fully assembled Vajra is just as much of a threat to Ean and to Holy Terra that a devouring Marduk is.

If we pick A, it's precisely so that we can let Marduk devour Zeus. Marduk still has the fragment, so devouring Zeus takes another one of our enemies out of the picture. Fortunately, Marduk has been crippled badly from the lightning strike, so even after he's done eating Zeus, I doubt he'll be anywhere near 100%.

Here is how I predict C will occur: Zeus, empowered with a second piece of Vajra, will have one final lightning strike to call upon. If he uses it on us, it will put us in a near-death state (our Vajra piece will protect us from getting wiped out) and awaken our rage. If he uses it on Edem, he gets fried and we have to take Zeus on solo. I'm leaning towards Edem getting fried.

I think we'll win, but we'll be badly hurt in the process. On the plus side, we'll have all three pieces of Vajra.

Edit: However, things have the potential of going down the shitter should Marduk devour Zeus while we're wounded.

^ Top  
  16. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  17. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag

That'd be my preffered vote.

^ Top  
  18. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  19. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    This is best, but no throwing. We say "Very well.", then subtlety coat the sword in poison and walk toward, him sword in hand. At the last second we stab him in the heart and quickly pull Varja from him.

Btw, how do we know piece of Varja Marduk had wasn't the devouring artifact itself?
    edit: Then we'd be pretty screwed if we stalled for time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Barring any further revelations I'll go with this.

^ Top  
  21. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    D seems suitable, indeed. Edem can cover our back in case Marduk tries to devour us, or something.

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Relying on Marduk do devour Zeus is just as risky as our brutal kunnin' plan. Maybe without the Vajra he lost the last of his juice. Maybe the piece was the Devourer. Maybe he won't have enough strength left and just go take a permanent nap? Very many variables here two. Besides, fighting Zeus doesn't stop Marduk from devouring Zeus any more than talking does.
    Esquilax: how about combining our D options? I mean, when he hears your D, he can say "haha, no, not falling for that one, what am I, two?" If he falls for it, great, cut him down then and there, if not proceed with feigning submission.
    I'm still far from sold on A.
    Edit: treave, I still want to know how far Zeus is standing from Ean and if we can't shoot Edem some discreet message, like a thumbs-up behind our back? There many other methods at communication than just telepathy. I think superpowers spoiled us.
    Edit2: Really, every option we have, original and the ones we made ourselves, rely on many, many factors and are all rather risky. The only surefire option here is C, where we just charge in and do what Ean does best.

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, clearly he doesn't know enough about it if you have to ask where is it, what does it look like, or can we use it. You can rule it out of any plans of yours. :)

^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Thanks for the clarification, treave.

Lambchop19, Baltika9, the piece of Vajra on Marduk's body isn't the devouring artifact. Marduk killed Hephaestus and looted his piece off him. The devouring artifact is something else, and it's on Marduk's person right now:

Looking at the situation from Ean's POV without any metagaming clouding our perspective, the only right decision here is to fight. Zeus saw through our disguise instantly, so pulling any bullshit will be almost impossible - feigning submission sounds like a great way of getting struck by lightning. We threw away the possibility for diplomacy when we brought along our piece of Vajra and lured Ares here. It's clear to me now that the only way we're making it out of Olympus alive is over a pile of dead bodies.

So with that in mind, any schemes we make should be geared towards how we approach the battle itself, not in trying to gain an advantage beforehand through cunning; the fight is inevitable at this point, so let's talk tactics. I noticed this in the update and it got me thinking:

E) Use a telekinetic blast to knock Zeus' Vajra piece out of his hand and onto the battlefield. Your powers may not be strong enough to take it from him, but perhaps they are enough to deprive him of it at least. With both you and Edem against him and his thunderbolts gone, he will turn desperate - once he tries to teleport near the piece to get it, intercept him to take him out.

If this is acceptable, I'm voting for it. Otherwise, C.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Esquilax brings up good points. However, I do not think Ean was disguised at all. We were using our Sumerian face ever since we lost our power, unless I missed something. I am rather sure that the Master recognized Ean by face. The reason being is that if he scanned our mind, I very much doubt that he'd waste time even saying something to Ean, let alone giving him a chance to respond. We are a race trator of the worst kind (Subverting our power, devouring our "leash" and openly working with their main enemies. If he knows what's going on, he's stalling for time.

treave I assume it is too much to hope that Edem is shielding our mind, is it?

Very good plan, and a very good point. Both A and my submission plan depend on him believing us. And even if he did, even for a second, believe Ean, he could just zap him "just in case."

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.