Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Damnation, treave, why do ALL the power choices have to be so appealing?

A
    A - here I'd like to stress the additional importance of keeping an eye out for any surviving Olympians (potentially Ares, Artemis, Aphrodite and Athena - AAAA CRPG squad :D ) and attempting to forge an alliance with them in order to protect their homeland.
    A1
    C

^ Top  
  2. Kattze Andhaira

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    B, You know if we weren't aware of the imminent threat from the Gieloth and the Masters, I would rather have Ean wander aroundand be some kind of semi-mythological figure to the ancient peoples.

A, The monsters from the rift were the immediate threat to the stability of both Egypt and Babylon, it would only be fair to concentrate here. We might also gain some insights on what the Terasphagos are.

B, Best possible outcome for all parties involved, Akilhotep can still pursue Iltani but she will have a choice to marry him or not, at the same time we would not tangled with Iltani.

2, Same reason as the first B

C, If we manage to control our hunger, we can direct our hunger to complement our fighting abilities instead of flaring up when we're emotionally stressed.

^ Top  
  3. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    So treave, researching the shield Zeus had up as a possible power for Ean to pursue, is that outside our league for the moment?
    Hopefully, having Edem test it out as well with his telekinesis and fireballs means we have at least a cursory idea of how it works?

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Azira , you'd need at least two pieces. Zeus could only throw it up after he took the second piece from Marduk.

^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Duly noted. :salute: Even more reason to try and find those missing pieces, even if we do have to take them from a partially/fully healed Zeus/Marduk entity. :troll:

^ Top  
  6. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    B. A is appealing and all, but we have bigger fish to fry. A.
    Smashing Axe makes sense.

A. Let's deal with the immediate risk first. Sounds like a good way to gather more information as well.

B. I kinda suspect that waffling will just risk pissing off both parties, but hey. Still the best way to get rid of Iltani.

2. Yeah, we don't need more responsibilities shackling us down. 1. As long as we don't have to do much actual paper pushing, I'm all up for it.

C. All the choices are appealing, but I think this is quite significantly the most beneficial optionfor Ean right now. Being able to feed more and feed safer? This just might be the key to avoiding the inevitable BLOOD TO THE BLOOD GOD somewhere down the line. The rest, while tempting, seem to be generic superpowers that can be made up for in other ways. Except maybe for Vajra. Not voting for that though, because I reaaaallly don't like the sound of that "stresses your mental condition with each leap" thing.

^ Top  
  7. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I don't think a God Emperor's day to day life would be that demanding, really. Think about it, there's very little that would be required of us since the king/pharoah assumes most of the national roles. There's greater foreign policy, and that's about it. This just gives us legitimized authority to intervene in the nation whenever we see fit. We'll also keep our two favourite nations from destroying each other and minimise non-approved Gieloth influence. I don't see much disadvantage to us in taking the role, and once/if we have a child they can take over for when we decide to piss off somewhere distant.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    People voting B for the first choice and then going 2 on the third choice, are you insane? We have to have responsibilities if we want to be responsible for the betterment of Mankind! We might have stayed in the shadows if we haven't opened the Warp rift. But since we fucked up, it is our grave responsibility to deal with the consequences of our fuckup. And that's best done through leading the area's best developed nations.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Can you imagine how devoted and loyal people would be to a benevolent warrior-king who never fucking died or aged. Consider how loyal people have been to mortal kings and emperors and how people kill for religious figures that no has ever meet or seen. Hell even think how much the idea of the God-Emperor of Mankind from a tabletop wargamecaptures people's imaginations. An undying, paternal and benevolent king is the best imaginable form of government.

I don't see A as making humans weaker and dependent but uniting and uplifting them with the perfect king and something to genuinely believe in and fight for. As shown in this update, it is even possible we can gift humans with some of our powers.

^ Top  
  10. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Come to think of it... to ensure Ean's benevolence, we must deal with our anger/hunger issues. It is my understanding that C in the last choice will have the best synergy with our leadership role. Flopping accordingly in the original vote.

^ Top  
  11. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A. You continue to assist the Empire as a walking avatar of all the principles you wish the Babylonian Empire to exemplify. You will strive to have your presence banish the shadows of fear and doubt from the minds of the citizens and become an inspiring figure to lead them into this new future.

This. It will unite the two kingdoms together better than anything. And it will boost the morale of our soldiers when they are fighting with beasts.

A. You direct the Babylonian Empire to focus on the threat of the Terasphagos. You send aid and men to relieve the hapless Greeks. If you cannot get rid of the threat, at least you can attempt to control it. You will start by building outposts to monitor Olympus for any Terasphagos incursions, and if things go well, begin the construction of a wall around the rift.

B. You agree to his proposal, but you tell him that you would have to let Iltani decide whether to marry him or not. You are not in the habit of commanding people into marriage, only into battle.

1. You accept the title of emperor.

C. A wandering visitor from the Near East has introduced to you the concept of meditation. You have discovered that by performing this training of the mind and exploring your concept of self, you are able to instil part of your hunger within your blade instead of letting all of it slumber in your core like some dangerous beast. Although Anbar-Shi will no longer be able to be returned to its scabbard once unsheathed, without tasting blood, you will achieve vastly increased control over your hunger, wielding it as you see fit. Anbar-Shi will gain the ability to feed on your behalf.

This is a issue we have to solve now, instead of later when Ean is changed already.

treave: What would have happened if we would have given our part of Vajra to Edem and then jumped in with Marduk/Zeus plop?

And I have to say that I love the pace in this thread. I'm again gone for a little over a day and there is two updates and one interlude.

^ Top  
  12. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You get to find out what happens when you are at the center of a rip in the fabric of reality.

For those voting to be a very visible Emprah figure, what principles of the Babylonian Empire should Ean embody? Courage, honour, virginity?

Also, if we end up marrying off Iltani, we could probably exercise droit du seigneur due to Akilhotep being our vassal. Well, he wouldn't have to know if you don't want him to, but... it's an option.

^ Top  
  14. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana

Let's go with something useful. What about caution and restraint nah, let's just go with loyalty and utter obedience to authorities a.k.a. Ean.

No. Just... no. That's just going to piss off everyone involved even more, and more importantly, why the hell would you want to do that in the first place? I mean, we have Sekhe-baby already after all~:mhd:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Iltani probably wouldn't mind, and heck, if a child was born, Akilhotep might even consider the union specially blessed.. M:

^ Top  
  16. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    I'm in favour of whatever gives Ean children. We need our Primarchs. Although if we go around sleeping with women, let's be open about it. Begin the breeding program, strengthen humanity's genetic stock.

Ean should embody his own character as it is.

Guile within honour,
    Ambition with morality
    Military discipline and strength
    And a shared dream for all mankind.
    Basically, he should try to stand for something that would act as a rallying cry for the unification of all mankind while not being so strict as to stifle human creativity. If he forms a church, in their doctrines should be most of the truth of the nature of the world, of the Gieloth, and the Masters, with a slight theological spin. Have some tenets that encourage an inquisitive mind and creative solutions, slowly mold our people towards scientific development. Throw in some stuff about being ready for an apocalypse and hard times ahead, which mankind must rise to with every tool at his disposal.

Oh, and throw in something about a married couple whose female sleeps with Ean being blessed if her womb quickens.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Apart from the very last and corny line, I couldn't agree more, Smashing Axe. :bro:

Breeding programs are OK, but we should probably have Sekh be bene-gesserit-like on the sidelines, keeping track of succesful unions and genetic changes as a result hereof. :obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    It sounds bad, yeah. But by shared dream for all mankind, I mean more like... a Napoleonic dream for all mankind. World conquest and assimilation. And I dig the Bene Gesserit idea.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    YES. YESSSS.

^ Top  
  20. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Indeed, not some backwards theocracy but not allowing decadence and decline either. Creative, innovative and meritocratic but also socially disciplined and morally strong. Equal amounts of :obviously: and BROdom with Ean as the benevolent and loving, but firm, father.

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    edit: Oh, don't mind what was here before. Great start. I look forward to the Foundation of Empire that all of you will contribute to. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    I would most definitely NOT do that. Let's not shake our relations with Egypt for the sake of our dick. Let the Pharaoh fuck Itlani, Sekhenun will comfort us just fine :smug:

^ Top  
  23. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Iltani is a human
    implies Iltani doesn't have tentacles
    implies Ean is not turned on because Iltani doesn't have TENTACLES :incline:

AAB1C

^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave is a goddamn machine with how fast he churns this stuff out. We're really being spoiled here. :brodex:

Well, here's my take on the upcoming choices:

A: Now, if we weren't in a situation where otherworldly abominations were crawling out from Olympus, maybe working from the shadows would be possible. But now, no fucking way. People need hope, they need something to believe in after the terrible war and now the rift. The Greeks are completely devastated and have begun to despair:

We need to step out of the shadows and give the Greeks hope after they've suffered so much hardship.

A: Dealing with the problem we created here is more important than going to China at this point. It's also implied that taking care of this problem would deal with the Gieloth issue:

If we take care of the rift, it's possible that the Gieloth will postpone their plans. So the rift is very important.

B1: Iltani is way too impetuous to just be herded off to marriage without her consent. There's no way that she'll just roll over and accept this unless we really make an effort to convince her that this is the best thing to do. Iltani is honorable and will understand that this is the right decision, but marrying her off to Akilhotep after she thought we would be with her is bound to cause serious problems. Talk to her first.

Oh, and of course we'll accept the title of God-Emperor. It's consistent with 1A and it will unite Egypt and Sumeria together peacefully. Nabuchasar and Akilhotep are behind it 100%, so let's fucking do it.

C: I love A and D, but ultimately it comes down to the fact that either we control our hunger, or it controls us.

A A B1 C

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    B- I'm still holding to my stance that we should focus on protecting and fostering Mankind's growth, not being it's nanny.

A- Time to secure our army's new training grounds and bring another nation into the fold.

B- We'll have a sit down with Iltani and Gudersu and have a long, loooong talk.
    2- We need autonomy and freedom of travel. A ruler that rarely rules and pushes his responsibilities on others is no ruler at all. And since we're going to run off as soon as we can to China/Ferelden (suuuure you weren't, treave. Sure you weren't), why would we accept a responsibility we can't afford?

A- Look, bros, you ignored my last wall of text, fine, whatever. At least listen now: the Earth now has a giant nightmare portal in Greece, rather close to the most powerful nations.
    Ean cannot be everywhere, do everything and save everyone. That kind of multitasking killed Olympus and destroyed Greece. Now, more than ever, humans need to learn how to stand up for themselves. I'm reminded of an ancient Chinese proverb: "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." Only now, it's, y'know, less about eating and more about killing extra-planetary horrors. This is a doctrine that will eventually spread across the world, if we make it and let it.
    Edit: Plus, hey, Grey Knights without a Kaldor Draigo, what's not to love?
    Smashing Axe: that was fucking beautiful. :salute:

Edit2: treave, this LP is magnificent. The C&C is amazing. This whole debacle could, and would, have been avoided had we just followed Edem's daddy to Babylon and slain Marduk. Earth would be safe, the status quo and our anonymity preserved and the Masters none the wiser. Instead we open up a portal straight to hell:lol:. Truly, you are a magnificent human being. Gary Gygax isn't dead, is he?
    Codex. Codex never changes.
    I still hold that Olympus can be exploited as a blessing, instead of a curse.

CappenVarra: too bad the world isn't run by comedians, eh?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.