Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sheep can't vocalize human speech, neither can entirely severed human heads. What you want needs a lobotomized human and inventing a switch to turn it on or off. Or just making talking sheep. For commoners.

Communication between the immortals I'll consider and think of something based on your proposals. Keep them coming!

Edit: Following this path, I can finally make good on my promise and allow you to enslave nations with necromancy.

newcomer

Learned
Sheep can't vocalize human speech, neither can entirely severed human heads. What you want needs a lobotomized human and inventing a switch to turn it on or off. Or just making talking sheep. For commoners.

Sekhenum knows how to make sheep talk! This is evident from the time when she destroys her own temple (possessing a sheep and begin to talk in it)
Even if we cannot make the sheep head talk, we can do this:

1. Sheep starts making sounds (Phone ringing)
2. Immortal/Gieloth put their hand on the sheep head (Answering the call)
3. Immortal/Gieloth floods sheep brain with information (Chatting)
4. Immortal/Gieloth removes their hand from the sheep (Ending the call)
5. Sheep head removes flooded information (Return to standby mode)

Esquilax

Arcane
The good thing of having kings under you is that they and the administration under them can deal with most of the daily bread and butter issues without your input. Well, if they're competent. If they're not, things can go bad without you noticing. There's probably something to be said later about gradually establishing a system of government rather than the current imperial way of "everyone just do your own thing except when I want you to do something else". A council of kings, or something. Anyway, I digress. With this current pattern of administration, you could swallow up Anatolia, and that would probably be the limit of your effective governance.

One thing about the Gutians: their homelands already border your empire. In fact it's hard to say whether they're in or out of it, given their semi-nomadic ways. You certainly have part of the mountain range under your control - your previous raids were you going in and messing up their homes. Sorry if this wasn't clearer.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well, that certainly changes the situation - so if we continue raiding the Gutians, they have pretty much nowhere else to go and are bound to cause trouble because the lands they inhabit coincide with ours. With the ringleader of their raids captured, are they pretty much a depleted force at the moment? Does it seem that they're likely to start raiding again? I mean, I figure Ean would be a good judge of that considering he raided near their territories and has an idea of how much resistance they're going to offer.

Btw, who was this Gutian ringleader that we captured and is he still alive? I assume he must have been some important chieftan that Dapimsin bribed to stir up unrest in Assyria.

If they are pretty much incapable of sustaining any raiding parties for the ~10 years or so, I don't see why we should continue going after them. The Hittites were responsible for hiring them, so maybe we should do as newcomer suggested and hire them ourselves now that they're weakened. Or just do nothing and focus on getting our glorious project to educate the masses done quicker.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There's still plenty of Gutians around, and yes he was some important chieftain. Not so important now. Your raids are to teach them a lesson by beating them up, not to depopulate them. As mentioned before, they behave themselves once you start attacking them, but once you leave they're back to their old tricks. They'll only be truly weakened if you start exterminating. There will also be ways to deal with the Hittites that Ean will do without having it come down to a choice, depending on whether you go to war or not, because I'm interested in progressing the timeline faster. Think of it as easy mode.

edit: Well she possessed the sheep, there's the difference. Unless you want Sek to make little mindless Gieloth spawn to infest things. Rewiring the animal brain to become a transmitter/receiver could probably be done though. But you would have problems keeping it alive without resorting to NECROMANCY.

newcomer

Learned
edit: Well she possessed the sheep, there's the difference. Unless you want Sek to make little mindless Gieloth spawn to infest things.

That would be a Gieloth Rights problem (adopted from Human Rights)

Rewiring the animal brain to become a transmitter/receiver could probably be done though. But you would have problems keeping it alive without resorting to NECROMANCY.

How about partial re-writing then? Keep the sheep intact, alive, and grazing in palace cordoned indoor lawn (just make sure it's not Naram the shepherd) and replace most other functions into communications

Kukulkan

Learned
Does Ean have an official title besides emperor? Will Carthage still exist in this timeline? Will Rome? Will the Persians be a pain somewhere down the line? Where the fuck is Shulgi?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How about partial re-writing then? Keep the sheep intact, alive, and grazing in palace cordoned indoor lawn (just make sure it's not Naram the shepherd) and replace most other functions into communications

That would plausibly work. You might also want to have a look into whether or not she can implant neurons into plants to create some genetic hybrid monster, having the plant cells support the animal neuron cells and nourish them. Then you can grow your own communications kit wherever you go.

Does Ean have an official title besides emperor? Will Carthage still exist in this timeline? Will Rome? Will the Persians be a pain somewhere down the line? Where the fuck is Shulgi?

We can make one up. If your empire holds, probably not. If your empire holds, probably not, unless someone takes actions to push 'fate' back on its desired track. Yes. Loving his life.

Kipeci

Arcane
In the long run, there are really only a few ways we can pacify the more nomadic elements of the Gutians: kill them all, break them up and deport all of them throughout the empire, forcefully integrate them into a more agrarian system, or grant them special privileges in exchange for vassal status as warriors to be kept on our borders. For now, though, we don't really have the time or resources to be doing any of those, since chasing the Gutians through those mountains will not be fun.

Kipeci

Arcane
Could we shut up about Naram and Shulgi conspiracies already?

Having them actually pop up to ruin our nonsense would be less annoying than reading about how they're undoubtedly making us dance as a mannequin right into their plot/ambushing us from the next tree in our path/establishing the northern empire/were actually disguised as Sekhenun or Iltani all along so that we can never trust anyone ever/all the other crazy shit the Kool Kodex Konspirators dream up every other post.

Esquilax

Arcane

Having them actually pop up to ruin our nonsense would be less annoying than reading about how they're undoubtedly making us dance as a mannequin right into their plot/ambushing us from the next tree in our path/establishing the northern empire/were actually disguised as Sekhenun or Iltani all along so that we can never trust anyone ever/all the other crazy shit the Kool Kodex Konspirators dream up every other post.

Oh my God, I've figured it out... KIPECI IS SHULGI, EVERYBODY!!! LET'S GET 'IM!!!

Baltika9

Arcane

Oh my God, I've figured it out... KIPECI IS SHULGI, EVERYBODY!!! LET'S GET 'IM!!!
No no no, you've got it all wrong. Shulgi and Naram are both Ean There was never an Ean to begin with. They were playing us all along!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Choice 1:
B - 10
Choice 2:
C - 14
Choice 3:
B - 14

Chapter 6.6: Ten Years to the Founding

Now that you knew the Hittites were the ones encouraging the Gutians, your raid and subsequent ultimatum had a predictable effect: they began pestering the Hittites for help. By all accounts the Hittites were reluctant to actually engage your empire in direct military action, preferring to have the Gutians bleed you dry before swooping in for the prize.

As the seasons changed and the Gutians grew desperate, you unleashed a ploy of your own: you had your own Gutians disguise themselves in the colours and markings of the other tribes, and they attacked the Hittites. Meanwhile, Dapimsin's eyes and ears in your administration discovered - or rather, were allowed to discover, your diplomatic meetings with several prominent Gutian chieftains known to support the Hittites - not exactly the truth, but not lies either; you did meet with them, albeit under circumstances that were less than diplomatic and entirely unfavourable to them.

Soon the Hittites were threatening the Gutians on their end, demanding that the Gutians stop their double-crossing. The confused Gutians denied their knowledge of any raids, but that only enraged the Hittites further and caused relations to deteriorate. In the end, the perplexed Gutian tribes, trapped between both sides, decided in favour of the one that was currently being very active in their home mountains, and yielded to you.

The hapless Hittites gave up their shadowy attempts at undermining your empire. Unfortunately, they began expressing overt desires to undermine your empire, preferably by marching their army through your lands. The Hittite Empire began to build up its troops. It appears that sooner or later a military clash was inevitable.

In the meantime, good progress was being made with your decree that every citizen of the empire should be literate. There is still some dissent, particularly in the rural areas, with the farmers and miners complaining that they had no need for such nonsense. Most of the Greeks took to it like a fish to water, and for the first time you saw Athena smile as she watched a class of children in session. Even so, it would take a generation or two of sustained development for the idea to catch on throughout your domains.

The first fruits of Sekhenun's project to teach scholars how to investigate natural phenomena were also ripening; already several proposals have been submitted to you regarding how the empire could better utilize some of the knowhow it already has to improve the lot of its people.

Ten years after the empire was established, it was in a pretty good position. It was then, though, that you learnt that the Gieloth had begun landing in the east, attempting to infiltrate power structures of the powerful reigning Xia dynasty while simultaneously building up their own base south of the Xia. Artemis informed you that the immortals there currently numbered about twenty, with dozens of demigods at their beck and call, while you had no concrete figure about the Gieloth number, though they were estimated to be in the hundreds. It looks like the Gieloth had a new plan, to attempt to topple the immortals by trickery first. Still, as the immortals had been warned and were expecting their arrival, the Gieloth would probably find their efforts frustrated, and as they grew desperate, launch an attack outright.

A. You begin preparing an expedition to the east. The scouts have managed to track a path from the Indus to the Xia, which will lead you through the southern lands, where the Gieloth were building up their own power base.

B. Your expedition to the east will take you through the northern plains, which would arguably be faster and lead you directly to the northern lands of the immortals. The path is unscouted, however, as most of the scouts you have sent into the area did not return.

C. You do not organize an expedition, but travel there yourself with a small band of your own choosing. You are not confident that you would be able to solve the logistics of sending an entire army across the world on foot.

D. You do nothing for now. The immortals have been warned, and they can probably take care of themselves. Your attentions are needed here.

A. You embark on an ambitious project to construct roads to every part of your empire, and pave the main throughways by which most of the trade travels. The scholars have written a proposal about how this would improve the economic condition of the empire significantly, and planned out the best paths for the roads to take.

B. Another group of scholars have come up with the idea of establishing towers for signalling along the paths of the empire. You recall that Astarth once threatened you with such an idea. With a tower, an oil lamp, a mirror and a book of codes, it is possible for messages to be transmitted long distances at a speed faster than land travel.

A. The incident with the Hittites have convinced you that you need an extensive information network so that you do not get caught unawares again. You organize a group of extremely loyal, skilled personnel that are to be given the most stringent training in the arts of deception, organization and assassination, and sent into the world to serve as your eyes and ears.

B. You have realized, as time goes on, that you cannot fight alone or be everywhere at once. You need your personal guard to be stronger, faster, smarter, and more skilled than any man. You organize the training for a group of soldiers that are to be loyal to you and you alone, and personally instruct them in the ways of battle. These are to be your elite, who can both fight and command in battle, and serve as your emissaries where needed.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, looks like I was, thankfully, completely and absolutely wrong and Ean turned out to be one magnificent bastard. Don't I feel stupid, maybe I really am going crazy. Thanks to ScubaV for composing the winning combination.
DAB.
Takes us straight to the heart of the problem. Also allows us to contact the Gieloth, I'm rather curious to see their reaction when they hear that one of their own is working with us and experimenting for an alternate way to get them out of here. Still not writing them off as allies,not until I know what the whole Masters v Gieloth thing is about.
Actually, since I'm not very sure about whose side we should be on, I'll opt to wait and see. Besides, don't want China to discover our "condition."
Having an advanced communication network puts us ahead of potential invaders and can work to aid multitudes of other purposes, such as administration, raid warnings, even improved lighthouses.
And since I'm voting to stay, the Empire can afford the greater risk for greater jewgold.
And, finally, it is about time we had a praetorian guard. Maybe they will even give rise to the future generals and leaders, hence leading to a more independent humanity.
Edit: CBB

newcomer

Learned
And, finally, it is about time we had a praetorian guard. Maybe they will even give rise to the future generals and leaders, hence leading to a more independent humanity.

You mean the Eyeless White?

treave can we grant independence to Indus for now? At any rate, I don't want our glorious army to cause unnecessary bloodshed. It also works good for Athena because this proves that Ean is not an expansionist

Baltika9

Arcane

You mean the Eyeless White?

treave can we grant independence to Indus for now? At any rate, I don't want our glorious army to cause unnecessary bloodshed. It also works good for Athena because this proves that Ean is not an expansionist
No, not those guys. This option doesn't say anything about training them into blind supersoldiers. It explicitly states that they will be able to command and act as emissaries when needed, unless I'm misinterpreting again, treave.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Basically you already ignore their existence. Can't afford any troops to quell the area. And you don't get anything from it.

Baltika9

Arcane
Failed my reading comprehension, I was not completely wrong after all, we merely delayed the inevitable. Still, Ean got some brownie points with Athena, so that counts for something. However, the impending invasion should have Ean stay in place, whatever we decide, to get it over with as quickly and painlessly as possible. Since we did not improve our metallurgy, the military might of both empires is pretty much equal and, as treave said, that means our men will be sufficiently challenged by the Hittites to cause a problem.
The alternative is to create the Praetorian Guard and delegate the war to Athena, while Ean goes off with his task force to China. However, taking an army with us is a big no-no under any circumstances.

However, since I do not particularly like the idea of one side defeating another right now, I would rather Ean stay put and deal with the homefront.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
DAB

Roads mean not only better economy, but it ties our empire together and allows for faster movement of troops. Couple this with a hand-picked and utterly loyal guard that can also be used as emissaries and if needed, war leaders, I think we have a really good option here.
Though spies and assassins sounds really nice too.. :M

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, how is our relationship with Athena now? It seems that she's warmed up to us a bit, and the Greeks seem to also be a bit more fond of us. If we go on an expedition would Edem, Athena and Artemis remain to protect our Empire? Also, I'm curious as to how many men an a larger expedition (1A or 1B) would involve.

A lot of interesting choices here. I'm going to pick the following for now:

D: This one is tough. There are hundreds of Gieloth in China and we need to take those fucking things out, and quickly. But the Hittite situation needs to be resolved before we do anything, so we've gotta stay put.

A: The advances in trade make this a very easy choice. Since we're staying put, the signal towers won't be necessary. Furthermore, a road network will make passage to China faster once we're able to go there.

A: A bit unorthodox, I know, but I have a feeling that we can still avert war with the Hittites here. A secret organization of assassins could take Dapimsin and the Hittite King out of the picture with very little fuss. With the nation in chaos, we can take advantage of the situation by offering it order and protection. Furthermore, they might give us more information on the secretive Northern Kingdom than Edem was able to.

Where the Gieloth were unsuccessful, maybe a human might be more inconspicuous and escape the notice of the immortal power behind the northerners. If we're really lucky, we might even find the secret of their iron:

The last of the free tribes of the north had been united under the banner of Egill’s clan about fifty years ago, and they have made remarkable progress since then despite the poor weather and lands. Their population was small compared to the great cities of the South, but they were an industrious folk and have apparently discovered ways of forging better, more durable iron. Unfortunately, Edem was unable to visit the forges, which were held a sacred site and off limits to those not initiated in the art.

A huge army of standard men with great equipment is probably worth more than a few powerful Praetorians if we manage to pull a risky move like this off.

D A A

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom