Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Choice 1:
    B - 10
    Choice 2:
    C - 14
    Choice 3:
    B - 14

Chapter 6.6: Ten Years to the Founding

Now that you knew the Hittites were the ones encouraging the Gutians, your raid and subsequent ultimatum had a predictable effect: they began pestering the Hittites for help. By all accounts the Hittites were reluctant to actually engage your empire in direct military action, preferring to have the Gutians bleed you dry before swooping in for the prize.

As the seasons changed and the Gutians grew desperate, you unleashed a ploy of your own: you had your own Gutians disguise themselves in the colours and markings of the other tribes, and they attacked the Hittites. Meanwhile, Dapimsin's eyes and ears in your administration discovered - or rather, were allowed to discover, your diplomatic meetings with several prominent Gutian chieftains known to support the Hittites - not exactly the truth, but not lies either; you did meet with them, albeit under circumstances that were less than diplomatic and entirely unfavourable to them.

Soon the Hittites were threatening the Gutians on their end, demanding that the Gutians stop their double-crossing. The confused Gutians denied their knowledge of any raids, but that only enraged the Hittites further and caused relations to deteriorate. In the end, the perplexed Gutian tribes, trapped between both sides, decided in favour of the one that was currently being very active in their home mountains, and yielded to you.

The hapless Hittites gave up their shadowy attempts at undermining your empire. Unfortunately, they began expressing overt desires to undermine your empire, preferably by marching their army through your lands. The Hittite Empire began to build up its troops. It appears that sooner or later a military clash was inevitable.

In the meantime, good progress was being made with your decree that every citizen of the empire should be literate. There is still some dissent, particularly in the rural areas, with the farmers and miners complaining that they had no need for such nonsense. Most of the Greeks took to it like a fish to water, and for the first time you saw Athena smile as she watched a class of children in session. Even so, it would take a generation or two of sustained development for the idea to catch on throughout your domains.

The first fruits of Sekhenun's project to teach scholars how to investigate natural phenomena were also ripening; already several proposals have been submitted to you regarding how the empire could better utilize some of the knowhow it already has to improve the lot of its people.

Ten years after the empire was established, it was in a pretty good position. It was then, though, that you learnt that the Gieloth had begun landing in the east, attempting to infiltrate power structures of the powerful reigning Xia dynasty while simultaneously building up their own base south of the Xia. Artemis informed you that the immortals there currently numbered about twenty, with dozens of demigods at their beck and call, while you had no concrete figure about the Gieloth number, though they were estimated to be in the hundreds. It looks like the Gieloth had a new plan, to attempt to topple the immortals by trickery first. Still, as the immortals had been warned and were expecting their arrival, the Gieloth would probably find their efforts frustrated, and as they grew desperate, launch an attack outright.

A. You begin preparing an expedition to the east. The scouts have managed to track a path from the Indus to the Xia, which will lead you through the southern lands, where the Gieloth were building up their own power base.

B. Your expedition to the east will take you through the northern plains, which would arguably be faster and lead you directly to the northern lands of the immortals. The path is unscouted, however, as most of the scouts you have sent into the area did not return.

C. You do not organize an expedition, but travel there yourself with a small band of your own choosing. You are not confident that you would be able to solve the logistics of sending an entire army across the world on foot.

D. You do nothing for now. The immortals have been warned, and they can probably take care of themselves. Your attentions are needed here.

A. You embark on an ambitious project to construct roads to every part of your empire, and pave the main throughways by which most of the trade travels. The scholars have written a proposal about how this would improve the economic condition of the empire significantly, and planned out the best paths for the roads to take.

B. Another group of scholars have come up with the idea of establishing towers for signalling along the paths of the empire. You recall that Astarth once threatened you with such an idea. With a tower, an oil lamp, a mirror and a book of codes, it is possible for messages to be transmitted long distances at a speed faster than land travel.

A. The incident with the Hittites have convinced you that you need an extensive information network so that you do not get caught unawares again. You organize a group of extremely loyal, skilled personnel that are to be given the most stringent training in the arts of deception, organization and assassination, and sent into the world to serve as your eyes and ears.

B. You have realized, as time goes on, that you cannot fight alone or be everywhere at once. You need your personal guard to be stronger, faster, smarter, and more skilled than any man. You organize the training for a group of soldiers that are to be loyal to you and you alone, and personally instruct them in the ways of battle. These are to be your elite, who can both fight and command in battle, and serve as your emissaries where needed.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Aren't they the most kawaii creature on Earth :desu:

Let's be consistent with votes: CBA

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, looks like I was, thankfully, completely and absolutely wrong and Ean turned out to be one magnificent bastard. Don't I feel stupid, maybe I really am going crazy. Thanks to ScubaV for composing the winning combination.
    DAB.
    Takes us straight to the heart of the problem. Also allows us to contact the Gieloth, I'm rather curious to see their reaction when they hear that one of their own is working with us and experimenting for an alternate way to get them out of here. Still not writing them off as allies,not until I know what the whole Masters v Gieloth thing is about.
    Actually, since I'm not very sure about whose side we should be on, I'll opt to wait and see. Besides, don't want China to discover our "condition."
    Having an advanced communication network puts us ahead of potential invaders and can work to aid multitudes of other purposes, such as administration, raid warnings, even improved lighthouses.
    And since I'm voting to stay, the Empire can afford the greater risk for greater jewgold.
    And, finally, it is about time we had a praetorian guard. Maybe they will even give rise to the future generals and leaders, hence leading to a more independent humanity.
    Edit: CBB

^ Top  
  4. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    You mean the Eyeless White?

treave can we grant independence to Indus for now? At any rate, I don't want our glorious army to cause unnecessary bloodshed. It also works good for Athena because this proves that Ean is not an expansionist

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    No, not those guys. This option doesn't say anything about training them into blind supersoldiers. It explicitly states that they will be able to command and act as emissaries when needed, unless I'm misinterpreting again, treave.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Basically you already ignore their existence. Can't afford any troops to quell the area. And you don't get anything from it.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Failed my reading comprehension, I was not completely wrong after all, we merely delayed the inevitable. Still, Ean got some brownie points with Athena, so that counts for something. However, the impending invasion should have Ean stay in place, whatever we decide, to get it over with as quickly and painlessly as possible. Since we did not improve our metallurgy, the military might of both empires is pretty much equal and, as treave said, that means our men will be sufficiently challenged by the Hittites to cause a problem.
    The alternative is to create the Praetorian Guard and delegate the war to Athena, while Ean goes off with his task force to China. However, taking an army with us is a big no-no under any circumstances.

However, since I do not particularly like the idea of one side defeating another right now, I would rather Ean stay put and deal with the homefront.

^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    DAB

Roads mean not only better economy, but it ties our empire together and allows for faster movement of troops. Couple this with a hand-picked and utterly loyal guard that can also be used as emissaries and if needed, war leaders, I think we have a really good option here.
    Though spies and assassins sounds really nice too.. :M

^ Top  
  9. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave, how is our relationship with Athena now? It seems that she's warmed up to us a bit, and the Greeks seem to also be a bit more fond of us. If we go on an expedition would Edem, Athena and Artemis remain to protect our Empire? Also, I'm curious as to how many men an a larger expedition (1A or 1B) would involve.

A lot of interesting choices here. I'm going to pick the following for now:

D: This one is tough. There are hundreds of Gieloth in China and we need to take those fucking things out, and quickly. But the Hittite situation needs to be resolved before we do anything, so we've gotta stay put.

A: The advances in trade make this a very easy choice. Since we're staying put, the signal towers won't be necessary. Furthermore, a road network will make passage to China faster once we're able to go there.

A: A bit unorthodox, I know, but I have a feeling that we can still avert war with the Hittites here. A secret organization of assassins could take Dapimsin and the Hittite King out of the picture with very little fuss. With the nation in chaos, we can take advantage of the situation by offering it order and protection. Furthermore, they might give us more information on the secretive Northern Kingdom than Edem was able to.

Where the Gieloth were unsuccessful, maybe a human might be more inconspicuous and escape the notice of the immortal power behind the northerners. If we're really lucky, we might even find the secret of their iron:

A huge army of standard men with great equipment is probably worth more than a few powerful Praetorians if we manage to pull a risky move like this off.

D A A

^ Top  
  10. newcomer Learned

newcomer

By that I mean that's the future of these Praetorian Guards to our glorious Empire.

Then maybe it's time to build diplomatic relations?

And if we decided to stay, I hope Artemis will continue her support to help us communicate with the immortals regarding the plans of Tentaculos Mexicanos. At the very least we can delay these further.

For the Hittites, I'm in favor of directing their attacks to Greece (using Dapisim's spies) so that we can earn Athena's support for counterattack. But maybe we should warn her of incoming Hittites beforehand...

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You'll need to find me an estimate on how long it'd take to build a road to China and how many men you would need. Pretty much if a vote to China happens, I'll need you guys to tell me how many people you're bringing and how you manage the supply train. Basically, how would you organize a Mesopotamian invasion of China?

^ Top  
  12. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Centuries at the very least. A good reference is the Silk Road.

The number of men most likely depends on the power of Tentaculos Mexicanos, but for the supply we'll need to resupply in India for more chance of success, hence the diplomatic relations.

Esquilax

I don't agree with taking out the Hittite kings before they declare war to us; let them kill a few civilians & rape border villages before taking them out of picture. Otherwise, Athena will see this as a plot to expand over Hittite lands.

Or alternatively, kill the king and do nothing. Let them succumb to warring tribes & tell Nabuchazar / Gutians to invade them. We'll get away from Athena's wrath by saying "It's my vassal's doing, what can I do?"

And after a few years, due to "Nabuchazar's difficulties to rule from Babylon / Gutians' inept stewardship", the land is granted to the EMPRAH in exchange for some kingdom project speedups / any other benefits. Or we can crown Gurdesu's bratlings the kings of Anatolia and make sure the Gutians settle in nicely without causing further problems

^ Top  
  13. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I don't know about the first choice yet, I'll need some time to think on it.

For the last two choices however, it seems there's two combinations that complement the weaknesses of each other:
    BB will let us know quickly when we are invaded, and give us an elite group of soldiers to quickly and competently respond to such a threat.​

AA will give us an information network to know when an invasion is coming and a road network for our soldiers to move into position before the threat strikes.​

I'm leaning towards BB at the moment, simply because I like the idea of an elite group of soldiers serving underneath us, plus it suits our character more. Finally, some Sardaukar of our very own. I'd also like to emphasise the fact that this elite guard will be capable generals and able to assume command of our regular forces without us having to reasonably worry about a Teutoburg Forest level of defeat.

My point is, there should be at the very least one choice that facilitates quick military responses to enemy activity, which is either B in the second choice, or A in the last. I also feel that them stacking is excessive.

Edit:
    Also remember guys that if we do nothing and the Gieloth win in China, it's mass strip mining of the world's resources or exterminatus for us, I don't think inaction is advisable here, but nor do I think our military will accomplish much, especially if they're needed to fend off the Hittites. So I've come to a decision.

Send a small expeditionary force composed of Gieloth and immortals (okay maybe not gieloth, do the Greek immortals know that we have gieloth in our service treave?), that means Sek, Eden, Artemis and most of our elite guard and anyone else super competent, with the exception of Athena, who we give the duty of protecting against incursions from the tyranids or the Hittites (I think she's cooled off a bit in her perception of us, it's not a dishonourable request by any means, she should be trustworthy).

It's going to be difficult to counter the gieloth, but with Sek and Eden's insight and ability to infiltrate their ranks, the killing ability of Ean and his super elite + Greek immortals, we may be successful in weakening the key leaders of the tentacles sufficiently enough for the Chinese to finish off the remainder. The signal towers at home should give Athena enough information to act and defend the Empire where it is threatened while we are away. Anyway, let me know what you think of this course of action. Esquilax et al.

CBB

Lastly, I know you guys are worried about the Hittites, but if we leave most of our normal forces at home with a competent general, then they will not be a problem if we are fighting a defensive war. They're a transient problem anyway and pale in comparison to the threat to our empire if the world gets set afire. We need to think about our priorities here. Do not let the Gieloth become entrenched in China. I get the feeling that inaction here will be the same as inaction to Marduk in Greece.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, there are rumours about you consorting with tentacles but really, they don't know the extent to which you are in bed with them. They mostly believe these Gieloth are under your thumb, though in actuality it is more of a working partnership. If either Sek or Edem disagree with you strongly enough you have no real authority over them. So far they think they wouldn't have done better, so they usually allow you to make the call.

At any rate, Artemis is a pragmatic sort about these things (as long as you don't make advances towards her), Athena's JUSTICE hard-on seems to have settled down some ever since she's had to make the tough choices of governing, the Terror Twins you can just push around despite their bravado and Ares is still lost in space (and now that I think about it, so are Hera and Shamash), so unless you have them working too closely together you shouldn't have too much trouble. They don't know about your condition either, they just think you're someone who's ignoring the voices somehow.

^ Top  
  15. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    In BED? :incline:

C could also be an option, but I'm not too convinced with a Gieloth-Immortal team. I prefer we drag Athena & Artemis towards tentacle lovers incline before doing that.

For C, I propose Ean, Artemis, terror-twins go to China
    Edem & Gurdesu in charge of defense from Anatolia border
    Athena will be in charge of defense from Greece & Aegean sea
    Akilhotep & Nabuchazar in charge of defense in Mediterranean sea

Sekhenum will continue research on steroids

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Of course we should do something about the Gieloth. Fuck the hittites, fuck our Empire, Mankind's fate is at stake! Our elite guard won't magically appear at the spot, battle-hardened and ready for a trip to China if we select to train them. Furthermore, making sure their training is done right pins us in our Empire. And I really like trade/military routes more than signal towers... so

D
    A
    A

^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    If we leave though, Athena might just shrug and sit in Greece, should the Hittites decide to invade. She protects mankind yes, but her chosen charges right now are the hellenian people, why would she care if some barbarians killed other barbarians? :M In the grand scheme of things, protecting mankind means penning up the Terasphagos and stopping the Gieloth. I don't see Athena as the babysitting kind, so I wouldn't expect her to jump to our cause about defening our fledgling empire.

^ Top  
  18. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    That's why I put her in charge of defense of her own territory... for now...
    Nabuchazar & Gurdesu should be able to hold on their own in the Anatolia front, so we'll only need Athena to interfere with invasion from sea, which also encompasses her territory (Aegean Islands - Cyprus - Crete)

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Ah, I wouldn't rely too much on Gudersu. He's at least a decade older now, and the loss of a limb and fighting off infection has taken its toll on him. He should be about fifty by now. Still an experienced fighter, but past his peak. His son, Gursu, is an up and coming bright prospect though, and Mienni has learnt some stuff from Sekhenun for the past few years as an apprentice of sorts. In fact, I think I should do a list of all the named people in your empire and their skills since it looks like you guys may want to form a team to go to China. Hang on.

Edit: There we go.

Sekhenun - pet Gieloth scientist

Edem - psychic wise-ass

Athena - goddess of WISDOM. Certainly wiser and calmer now that she has suffered the burden of queenship.

Artemis - eternal virgin, inscrutable, comes and goes like the wind.

Terror Twins - took them ten years to grow it back, but they did it!

Gudersu - one legged grizzled warchief

Gursu - untested but brave and skilled, worships the ground you walk on

Mienni - has been following Sekhenun around for the past decade (not that you really noticed), picked up her annoying way of annoying you among other things

Nabuchasar - grateful king of Babylon, hardworking, has spawned many princelings to continue his dynasty

Assurdan - leader of the Assyrian cities, descended from a line of former kings that lost their throne when Marduk invaded. Willing to work with you since you're being nice recently

Akilhotep - talented grandson of a talented administrator, not too good with military affairs

Iltani - assists superbly with Egypt's administration, they have two kids, both female

Zaidu - veteran general who miraculously survived the debacle at Memphis with nothing more than even more scars to show for it. Currently in charge of the forces around the rift.

Dakuri - lost an arm at Memphis, but has learnt to compensate since. You gave him some pointers. Now an experienced Sumerian general guarding the southern borders.

Valli - Assurdan's right hand man and a skilful warrior. Dislikes Gutians as they destroyed his village. Dislikes Hittites as they killed his father. Dislikes Babylonians as they killed his grandfather.

Heroptah - highest ranking Egyptian general, veteran of the Aegean War. It was his decision to bunker up in Heracleopolis with the pharaoh.

Ussur - High Priest of the Priests of Shulgi. Has a tendency to kiss the ground you trod on in hopes that you might reap his life as an offering to Shulgi. You wonder who spread that rumour.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Let's see.... Does southern border means the Indus Valley or the Towelheads?

Anyway, I don't think we should take humans with us on the journey, maybe with the exception of Ussur?
    The best we can do with the humans is to rearrange them to guard the Hittite borders

and how much soldier can Greece contribute? Not that I want to use them offensively though, just gauging how much help should we mobilize to assist Greece. And do they have some prominent human generals?

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Just a bit south east of Sumeria, somewhere in modern Iran. Your territory might 'stretch' halfway to the Indus but you don't have any significant military presence there to speak of. Greece is wiped out in terms of its military. All of its remaining soldiers were on Olympus when... well. Maybe collectively they can raise a thousand men or so.

edit: On the bright side the Spartans (will) have a new place to love. They can throw their kids beyond the Wall and care for only those who survive to return, climbing back up the wall with claws made of Terasphagos bones. :thumbsup:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Then we'll need to rely on Akilhotep to contribute some navy... Next time we'll need prominent navy commanders...

Let's see...

So they're no longer eunuchs... what a pity...

Theme song: My Glorious Days

Now let's see... what should we do to invite her to our glorious breeding program? :incline:
    Did she like fluffy & kawaii stuffs maybe? Maybe she loves to pat a baby? :incline:

^ Top  
  23. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    DAA

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The Phoenicians along the Levant can probably supply you with the ships and sea-faring soldiers you need if it's an emergency, but they were hit hard by Marduk's demands when he set off for Greece so you've avoided asking too much of them, allowing them to focus their ships on the economy so that trade by sea remains strong in your empire.

^ Top  
  25. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    One thing I don't quite get, is why won't the Gieloth introduce high-end technology to infected planets right after arrival. We're starving for steel right now (that is, assuming the "better iron" of the northerners is steel), while the likes of Sekhenun or even Marduk should have introduced freakin' lasers to their respective regions when they reigned. Are they so much into biotech that they have little to no understanding of mechanical tech? Or maybe they somehow forget things during their travels?

Re: mindless Gieloth spawn used to transmit data - ask Sekhenun if she can make some! Then send them as probes through the Olympus Rift! I the knowledge gained would even help her with her wormhole research.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.