Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

newcomer

Learned
No, not those guys. This option doesn't say anything about training them into blind supersoldiers. It explicitly states that they will be able to command and act as emissaries when needed, unless I'm misinterpreting again, treave.

By that I mean that's the future of these Praetorian Guards to our glorious Empire.

Basically you already ignore their existence. Can't afford any troops to quell the area. And you don't get anything from it.

Then maybe it's time to build diplomatic relations?

And if we decided to stay, I hope Artemis will continue her support to help us communicate with the immortals regarding the plans of Tentaculos Mexicanos. At the very least we can delay these further.

For the Hittites, I'm in favor of directing their attacks to Greece (using Dapisim's spies) so that we can earn Athena's support for counterattack. But maybe we should warn her of incoming Hittites beforehand...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You'll need to find me an estimate on how long it'd take to build a road to China and how many men you would need. Pretty much if a vote to China happens, I'll need you guys to tell me how many people you're bringing and how you manage the supply train. Basically, how would you organize a Mesopotamian invasion of China?

newcomer

Learned
You'll need to find me an estimate on how long it'd take to build a road to China and how many men you would need. Pretty much if a vote to China happens, I'll need you guys to tell me how many people you're bringing and how you manage the supply train. Basically, how would you organize a Mesopotamian invasion of China?

Centuries at the very least. A good reference is the Silk Road.

The number of men most likely depends on the power of Tentaculos Mexicanos, but for the supply we'll need to resupply in India for more chance of success, hence the diplomatic relations.

Esquilax

I don't agree with taking out the Hittite kings before they declare war to us; let them kill a few civilians & rape border villages before taking them out of picture. Otherwise, Athena will see this as a plot to expand over Hittite lands.

Or alternatively, kill the king and do nothing. Let them succumb to warring tribes & tell Nabuchazar / Gutians to invade them. We'll get away from Athena's wrath by saying "It's my vassal's doing, what can I do?"

And after a few years, due to "Nabuchazar's difficulties to rule from Babylon / Gutians' inept stewardship", the land is granted to the EMPRAH in exchange for some kingdom project speedups / any other benefits. Or we can crown Gurdesu's bratlings the kings of Anatolia and make sure the Gutians settle in nicely without causing further problems

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't know about the first choice yet, I'll need some time to think on it.

For the last two choices however, it seems there's two combinations that complement the weaknesses of each other:
BB will let us know quickly when we are invaded, and give us an elite group of soldiers to quickly and competently respond to such a threat.​

AA will give us an information network to know when an invasion is coming and a road network for our soldiers to move into position before the threat strikes.​

I'm leaning towards BB at the moment, simply because I like the idea of an elite group of soldiers serving underneath us, plus it suits our character more. Finally, some Sardaukar of our very own. I'd also like to emphasise the fact that this elite guard will be capable generals and able to assume command of our regular forces without us having to reasonably worry about a Teutoburg Forest level of defeat.

My point is, there should be at the very least one choice that facilitates quick military responses to enemy activity, which is either B in the second choice, or A in the last. I also feel that them stacking is excessive.

Edit:
Also remember guys that if we do nothing and the Gieloth win in China, it's mass strip mining of the world's resources or exterminatus for us, I don't think inaction is advisable here, but nor do I think our military will accomplish much, especially if they're needed to fend off the Hittites. So I've come to a decision.

Send a small expeditionary force composed of Gieloth and immortals (okay maybe not gieloth, do the Greek immortals know that we have gieloth in our service treave?), that means Sek, Eden, Artemis and most of our elite guard and anyone else super competent, with the exception of Athena, who we give the duty of protecting against incursions from the tyranids or the Hittites (I think she's cooled off a bit in her perception of us, it's not a dishonourable request by any means, she should be trustworthy).

It's going to be difficult to counter the gieloth, but with Sek and Eden's insight and ability to infiltrate their ranks, the killing ability of Ean and his super elite + Greek immortals, we may be successful in weakening the key leaders of the tentacles sufficiently enough for the Chinese to finish off the remainder. The signal towers at home should give Athena enough information to act and defend the Empire where it is threatened while we are away. Anyway, let me know what you think of this course of action. Esquilax et al.

CBB

Lastly, I know you guys are worried about the Hittites, but if we leave most of our normal forces at home with a competent general, then they will not be a problem if we are fighting a defensive war. They're a transient problem anyway and pale in comparison to the threat to our empire if the world gets set afire. We need to think about our priorities here. Do not let the Gieloth become entrenched in China. I get the feeling that inaction here will be the same as inaction to Marduk in Greece.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, there are rumours about you consorting with tentacles but really, they don't know the extent to which you are in bed with them. They mostly believe these Gieloth are under your thumb, though in actuality it is more of a working partnership. If either Sek or Edem disagree with you strongly enough you have no real authority over them. So far they think they wouldn't have done better, so they usually allow you to make the call.

At any rate, Artemis is a pragmatic sort about these things (as long as you don't make advances towards her), Athena's JUSTICE hard-on seems to have settled down some ever since she's had to make the tough choices of governing, the Terror Twins you can just push around despite their bravado and Ares is still lost in space (and now that I think about it, so are Hera and Shamash), so unless you have them working too closely together you shouldn't have too much trouble. They don't know about your condition either, they just think you're someone who's ignoring the voices somehow.

newcomer

Learned
Well, there are rumours about you consorting with tentacles but really, they don't know the extent to which you are in bed with them.

In BED? :incline:

C could also be an option, but I'm not too convinced with a Gieloth-Immortal team. I prefer we drag Athena & Artemis towards tentacle lovers incline before doing that.

For C, I propose Ean, Artemis, terror-twins go to China
Edem & Gurdesu in charge of defense from Anatolia border
Athena will be in charge of defense from Greece & Aegean sea
Akilhotep & Nabuchazar in charge of defense in Mediterranean sea

Sekhenum will continue research on steroids

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Of course we should do something about the Gieloth. Fuck the hittites, fuck our Empire, Mankind's fate is at stake! Our elite guard won't magically appear at the spot, battle-hardened and ready for a trip to China if we select to train them. Furthermore, making sure their training is done right pins us in our Empire. And I really like trade/military routes more than signal towers... so

D
A
A

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If we leave though, Athena might just shrug and sit in Greece, should the Hittites decide to invade. She protects mankind yes, but her chosen charges right now are the hellenian people, why would she care if some barbarians killed other barbarians? :M In the grand scheme of things, protecting mankind means penning up the Terasphagos and stopping the Gieloth. I don't see Athena as the babysitting kind, so I wouldn't expect her to jump to our cause about defening our fledgling empire.

newcomer

Learned
If we leave though, Athena might just shrug and sit in Greece, should the Hittites decide to invade. She protects mankind yes, but her chosen charges right now are the hellenian people, why would she care if some barbarians killed other barbarians? :M In the grand scheme of things, protecting mankind means penning up the Terasphagos and stopping the Gieloth. I don't see Athena as the babysitting kind, so I wouldn't expect her to jump to our cause about defening our fledgling empire.

That's why I put her in charge of defense of her own territory... for now...
Nabuchazar & Gurdesu should be able to hold on their own in the Anatolia front, so we'll only need Athena to interfere with invasion from sea, which also encompasses her territory (Aegean Islands - Cyprus - Crete)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, I wouldn't rely too much on Gudersu. He's at least a decade older now, and the loss of a limb and fighting off infection has taken its toll on him. He should be about fifty by now. Still an experienced fighter, but past his peak. His son, Gursu, is an up and coming bright prospect though, and Mienni has learnt some stuff from Sekhenun for the past few years as an apprentice of sorts. In fact, I think I should do a list of all the named people in your empire and their skills since it looks like you guys may want to form a team to go to China. Hang on.

Edit: There we go.

Sekhenun - pet Gieloth scientist

Edem - psychic wise-ass

Athena - goddess of WISDOM. Certainly wiser and calmer now that she has suffered the burden of queenship.

Artemis - eternal virgin, inscrutable, comes and goes like the wind.

Terror Twins - took them ten years to grow it back, but they did it!

Gudersu - one legged grizzled warchief

Gursu - untested but brave and skilled, worships the ground you walk on

Mienni - has been following Sekhenun around for the past decade (not that you really noticed), picked up her annoying way of annoying you among other things

Nabuchasar - grateful king of Babylon, hardworking, has spawned many princelings to continue his dynasty

Assurdan - leader of the Assyrian cities, descended from a line of former kings that lost their throne when Marduk invaded. Willing to work with you since you're being nice recently

Akilhotep - talented grandson of a talented administrator, not too good with military affairs

Iltani - assists superbly with Egypt's administration, they have two kids, both female

Zaidu - veteran general who miraculously survived the debacle at Memphis with nothing more than even more scars to show for it. Currently in charge of the forces around the rift.

Dakuri - lost an arm at Memphis, but has learnt to compensate since. You gave him some pointers. Now an experienced Sumerian general guarding the southern borders.

Valli - Assurdan's right hand man and a skilful warrior. Dislikes Gutians as they destroyed his village. Dislikes Hittites as they killed his father. Dislikes Babylonians as they killed his grandfather.

Heroptah - highest ranking Egyptian general, veteran of the Aegean War. It was his decision to bunker up in Heracleopolis with the pharaoh.

Ussur - High Priest of the Priests of Shulgi. Has a tendency to kiss the ground you trod on in hopes that you might reap his life as an offering to Shulgi. You wonder who spread that rumour.

newcomer

Learned
Let's see.... Does southern border means the Indus Valley or the Towelheads?

Anyway, I don't think we should take humans with us on the journey, maybe with the exception of Ussur?
The best we can do with the humans is to rearrange them to guard the Hittite borders

and how much soldier can Greece contribute? Not that I want to use them offensively though, just gauging how much help should we mobilize to assist Greece. And do they have some prominent human generals?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just a bit south east of Sumeria, somewhere in modern Iran. Your territory might 'stretch' halfway to the Indus but you don't have any significant military presence there to speak of. Greece is wiped out in terms of its military. All of its remaining soldiers were on Olympus when... well. Maybe collectively they can raise a thousand men or so.

edit: On the bright side the Spartans (will) have a new place to love. They can throw their kids beyond the Wall and care for only those who survive to return, climbing back up the wall with claws made of Terasphagos bones. :thumbsup:

newcomer

Learned
Greece is wiped out in terms of its military. All of its remaining soldiers were on Olympus when... well. Maybe collectively they can raise a thousand men or so.

Then we'll need to rely on Akilhotep to contribute some navy... Next time we'll need prominent navy commanders...

Let's see...

Terror Twins - took them ten years to grow it back, but they did it!

So they're no longer eunuchs... what a pity...

Artemis - eternal virgin, inscrutable, comes and goes like the wind.

Theme song: My Glorious Days

Now let's see... what should we do to invite her to our glorious breeding program? :incline:
Did she like fluffy & kawaii stuffs maybe? Maybe she loves to pat a baby? :incline:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Phoenicians along the Levant can probably supply you with the ships and sea-faring soldiers you need if it's an emergency, but they were hit hard by Marduk's demands when he set off for Greece so you've avoided asking too much of them, allowing them to focus their ships on the economy so that trade by sea remains strong in your empire.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
One thing I don't quite get, is why won't the Gieloth introduce high-end technology to infected planets right after arrival. We're starving for steel right now (that is, assuming the "better iron" of the northerners is steel), while the likes of Sekhenun or even Marduk should have introduced freakin' lasers to their respective regions when they reigned. Are they so much into biotech that they have little to no understanding of mechanical tech? Or maybe they somehow forget things during their travels?

Re: mindless Gieloth spawn used to transmit data - ask Sekhenun if she can make some! Then send them as probes through the Olympus Rift! I the knowledge gained would even help her with her wormhole research.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Are they so much into biotech that they have little to no understanding of mechanical tech.

Partially this, and partially because their culture is a few dozen millennia older than yours and set in their ways, and partially because there are things going on that are beyond your comprehension. Suffice to say that even with all the metadumping I've done, I still have some shit in reserve. Also because handing over their best tech to monkeys never turns out well: See - Honourblade.

Also, regarding scouting the rift, as mentioned before people have went in, an immortal has gone in, and no one has ever come out again. They have tried tying something to a rope, throwing it in, and pulling it back. Nothing happened, but a few moments later a Terasphagos bounded out and ate the guy who threw the stick. Then they tried tying a guy to a rope, throwing him in, and pulling him back. When he came back out his eyeballs were gone and he was babbling about stars, stars everywhere.

Yup.

edit: Sek would need a captive Gieloth for her to start making spawn. She's not going to use herself. Maybe you could capture one and wrap it up nicely with a ribbon and leave it in her room.

newcomer

Learned
Partially this, and partially because their culture is a few dozen millennia older than yours and set in their ways, and partially because there are things going on that are beyond your comprehension.

I wonder whether they have electricity & computers... They looks quite advanced being able to build rockets to other planets, although the method isn't quite clear...

Sek would need a captive Gieloth for her to start making spawn. She's not going to use herself. Maybe you could capture one and wrap it up nicely with a ribbon and leave it in her room.

So Sekhenum doesn't even care on the well-beings of her species... Quite strange indeed, although she did state that long time ago... Well we can tie up some of them during our skirmish in China, provided that we decided to go...

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
How about this for an expeditionary force?

Away Team:
Edem - psychic wise-ass​

Artemis - eternal virgin, inscrutable, comes and goes like the wind.​

Terror Twins - took them ten years to grow it back, but they did it!​

Gursu - untested but brave and skilled, worships the ground you walk on​

Valli - Assurdan's right hand man and a skilful warrior. Dislikes Gutians as they destroyed his village. Dislikes Hittites as they killed his father. Dislikes Babylonians as they killed his grandfather. (Shows the Assyrians that we appreciate them as part of our empire and keeps the guy from agitating at home while we're away. He's a skillful warrior too so should come in handy. I didn't read anything about his skill as a general so no great loss on the home front)

I would like to take Sek with us to use her political savvy and infiltration skills to choose the best Gieloth targets, but everyone else seems to be set against it so I'll make this proposal. We should hopefully get by with just Edem.

See below about Valli. He'd be too useful to our Assyrian vassal if he's invaded. Right hand man etc.

newcomer

Learned
Bringing Valli is quite reasonable due to his low compatibility with our empire subjects, but mixing him with Gursu? I'm still in favor of leaving Gursu for defense unless you have good reasons. The immortals are more or less fixed though.... Edem... I should think about this..

For political saviness, how about Mienni? :troll:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
1C - Ean, Edem, Artemis and terror twins. Athena is left in charge of Greece, Babylon and Egypt still have their kings. I'm not too worried about hitties, since our military might is somewhat equal, and it is easier and less taxing to fight a defensive war.

As for 2 and 3, it is either AA or BB. BB would better fit in with Ean's abilities, since spy network is more of Shulgi's or Sekhenun's terrain. I'm willing to flop to either direction if someone can provide a good reason to do so.

Voting for TRADE.

CAA CBB.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
I think we should be able to handle this, so long as we convince the other immortals that we have Edem under our control (We can talk this over with him earlier so he understands the very slight ruse). There may be a bit of heads butting, but we're a god damn emperor, if we can't keep a few of these guys in line long enough to work towards our interests, then we have no business ruling at all.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
"Oooh, Dread Master, Dread Master! Of course I shall follow along behind your sacred footsteps!"

"Why should we listen to you... hey, hey keep your hands off that thing, I'm still tender, hey! Fine, we'll go! Ah shit."'

"Oh, you want me to go? I suppose I should ask the mistress about it. Do you think she'll agree? I think she wouldn't, but if you really wanted to she can't say no. I want to."

"You want me with you? Ha, and you couldn't wait to get rid of me on that last one. Well... I don't see why not. I'll show you how much I've improved since then!"

"Sure. I'll go, I guess."

"Yeah, I'm in. There's nothing much happening here anyway in this backwater, and I'm itching to get out and see more of the world."

"Hm... this is an honour, Your Imperial Majesty. Certainly, if you wish me along, I will obey, but I hope I do not need to remind you to arrange for a proper replacement for my duties."

"Ach, I'm enjoying life, but really, I don't see why not! Always wanted to see the end of the world, buddy!"

"Hm, go on a trip east? That sounds fun, but there seems to be plenty of work to be done here, Lord Ean. I suppose if it's just going to take a year or two I could delegate it..."

"You want me to go? Oh, I'm so flattered, but I would much rather you bring someone else. Athena or Artemis would be a better complement to you, right?"

"Oh, a journey to the east... that is very interesting indeed, Master Ean, but I'm not sure whether my particular talent would be of help to you. Perhaps I could help you organize the trip instead?"

"Me? Again? But I just got back! You know, you never do send her to do the foreign jobs... what do you mean, I'm thinking too much?"

"You desire my skills on this endeavour, Your Imperial Majesty? Certainly! I won't let you down."

"To travel to the east... that is an intriguing proposal. Although I have many matters to oversee, I must say that if it is Your Majesty's order, I shall have to obey. I have nothing against or for it."

"Wait, why me? This is all too sudden. With the Hittites agitating for a fight, I really don't want to leave this place."

"The Xia are important, but Greece needs my care now, more so than ever. I strongly suggest you find another to aid you. I will hope for your success."

"You goddamned bastard, why would you, ah, pardon, you imperial bastard, you goddamned Babylonian... why would you drag me away from my service to my city, you goddamned foreigners are all the same! I don't mince words even if you are my Emperor, you imperial cunt. Take my head, see if I give a shit."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom