Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Esquilax I'm just hesitant to give up what we've done over the last few updates at the first sign of trouble. I guess the terms of the 'exile' is important; would we remain to-be-married of the princess, and retain the favour of the Prince? Perhaps, perhaps not. (If Aodh is not an idiot, as soon as we have left he will spill the beans anyway, or some of it, to ensure that we lose every shred of power and recognition within the empire as we leave.) I just feel like it throws away so much, and the fact that we have 4 choices out of 6 that involve staying suggests that they wouldn't all lead to "haha telepathy you are fucked".

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Terms of exile: this can be clarified. He'll want you to leave almost immediately after giving you a bit of time to pack, without saying a word to anyone.

This is correct. I'm not saying you can't get fucked in other ways though.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, just so everyone's on the same page here, the exile-power building plans Esquilax and I discussed are theoretically possible, correct?

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If you actually end up leaving after deciding to, yes. I'm afraid the plot of this chapter isn't going to wait around for you to spend years mucking about overseas, though, so Diogenes could just become this threat that an Ean faces later on, or you could continue playing Diogenes and attempt to take on the self-claimed God-Emperor of the Shinar. You will lose your chance to really embrace your destiny and become Ean if you leave. Either way is fine with me, but Option C isn't as simple as "lol fine I go to Russia".

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, that settles that. Like I said previously, trading in Ean for Dio is a no-sell for me. That leaves A2 and B2, and since I like hands on villains... However, B2 has many merits as well, subtlety foremost. I think A2 may be overstretching our fortune.

^ Top  
  6. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Okay, presuming that we don't choose to flee or repent our evil, evil ways, we have several options to consider, and I'm still not sure which one seems best. I'm going to be meta, since, well, if we weren't meta we wouldn't know this guy could read minds, which is self-defeating.

A1 is suicide. It's not worth discussing really.​

A2 has the potential for surprising the spy and killing him so he doesn't cause further problems for us. That said, we don't know the full extent of his capabilities or if he can defend from our telepathic blast. If we don't choose this option then there's a chance the spy acts against us whilst we are preparing to off him.​

B1 I don't think this option will work, simply because our opponent has telepathy and can prepare easily enough against a mortal offense. That said, he may only catch glimpses of our intentions and not know where or when when we will strike, but that will give him time to prepare counter-measures and oust us.​

B2 I think this will work, if this shadowy dude wants our cooperation, then the more leverage he gets over us, the more confident he'll feel we're in his pocket. The consequences of our choosing this option are too varied for speculation, but I think it will work, presuming he doesn't also want to utilise Aodh as he does us. I feel this option will surmount any preparation Aodh might make, he might know that we're preparing to turn against him, but he won't know the supernatural capabilities our patron wields. He won't be able to counter.​

So suffice to say, I can't make my mind up between A2 and B2. I think both have the potential for working, but with different consequences. B2 is more likely to work, but with a greater cost

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    It would be hilarious if B2 led to "hey we don't care which Ean wins, why should we help you".

I think what treave says definitely rules C out. I like Dio and I want to lead him to glory. I can't quite decide between A2 and B2 either, I'm only on A2 at the moment because it's a bolder action with the best rewards for success. With B2, though, there's a higher chance that if it doesn't work out we can just really go ahead with an exile, or, even, go into hiding within the Empire / Ankida.

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Uh... option C might start with the premise of going into exile, but I said it wasn't simple as that. The update won't be one where you just choose where to go. There'll be other options on offer. And that's all I'll say, you guys know enough to work out the rest.

^ Top  
  9. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    We've been beat here guys. Trying to do the brute force thing would be messy and unlike Dio. Acknowledge defeat, get ready to leave. Pick option C.
    I get a distinct feeling that even if we offer to willingly go into exile, it isn't as simple as that. There are other people around that don't want to see us leave.
    Play into Aodh's bluff, he said that he would keep our name clean. If he's the honorable Ean shard, then he won't go back on this.
    If other, strong players, then move for our continued presence in the capital, but possibly a bit away from the prince, then we will be set to outmaneuver Aodh.

Going all brutal with the killings doesn't seem too much in character for Dio. We have a strong hunch that Aodh is the watcher choice from a couple of updates back. We know that Dio is exhibiting strange powers, Aodh as well. But we don't quite know what the extent of those powers is. We don't know if the masked man will be willing to help us either.
    Nope. I stick with my vote.

C

^ Top  
  10. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    B2 or A2, which one is currently winning. If both are tied, put my vote as B2

It's clear that C is a bad choice; from the last updates I just found out that trusting Codex (including me) to make arbitrary long-term decisions will end up disastrous :smug:
    Besides, I want to know what happens if we kill an Ean incarnation

^ Top  
  11. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I guess D won't win so A2. I want to see what happens when he is killed.

^ Top  
  12. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Hmm, the visuals here are bringing back strong memories...oh that's right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kmmggc6jH8

Treave is truly bringing incline to the Biowarian choice. :smug:

^ Top  
  13. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  14. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    You've convinced me, Smashing Axe, Kipeci and Tigranes. I've flopped to B2. It probably is way too early to call it quits right now. I think I am letting the experience of foolishly not retreating during the sphere diplomacy segment cloud my judgement. In any case, I'd advise you bros that if we ever get to a precarious position, don't hesitate to bail.

The masked man is very much willing to help us get rid of this loose end, and in a far more permanent fashion than A2 would. He wouldn't have given us the ability to contact him if he wasn't serious about backing us. I'm pretty certain that he's been making the same offer to us that he has to others, but I also believe that Dio's ruthlessness means that he favours us over the others he probably backed. We kill Aodh with A2, he might disappear for a few months, but when he eventually regenerates, there'll be hell to pay. We get rid of him with B2, we won't ever have to worry about Aodh threatening our power again.

I hate being in this asshole's debt, but I also hate dealing with this situation in such an untidy manner.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Two-front persuation: success. :smug:
    On a more serious note, I don't think our masked friend is with the government, per se. Think about it: in the current political climate, the First Emperor is the last thing the ruling classes want.

^ Top  
  16. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Of course not. The masked man is clearly a very powerful entity. I might be going off on the deep end here with some crazy speculation, but I have a theory here:

Ean returned to the void in the prologue, but he never actually left. What we're actually seeing here is a world created by the spheres, with bits of the real Ean's consciousness strewn about. There is some truth to the illusion, as the spheres are clearly not blind to events in the outside world (i.e. they knew about our palace when we entered their plane). The masked man himself is the sphere that has created this reality* - from the very beginning, the sphere's purpose has been to corrupt Ean for their own goals, something that they have not been able to achieve in three thousand years

Therefore, it's in the spheres' best interest to corrupt Ean and ensure that Dio becomes the dominant personality of Ean. By submitting to that corruption, we're actually working in the sphere's favour. This is why the masked man has been backing us the entire time.

* This is not implausible at all. Look at the vivid illusions they've created for Ean countless times. They could pull off something like this.

Yeah, I've completely fucking lost it.

^ Top  
  17. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Which one's winning? I'm still on A2 but will happily flop to B2 if it's higher.

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Esquilax: welcome to the club. Soon you'll join the Tentacle Incline Team.
    Your theory is very possible and, as such,Dio will really have to repent, eventually.
    However,my theory is that The Masked One is another fragment of Ean,specifically his hunger.

^ Top  
  19. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Nope. I think you're right Esq. Vote either C or D or you doom Ean.
    DOOM!
    DOOOM!!

Heheheh. :bro:

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'm just wondering, how do you guys know that the masked man is powerful with supernatural abilities? Also, clearly a trained spy and assassin who got mediocre grades in school must be be a mediocre operative who you can trust not to be lying when he says, I won't lie to you. It's not like he comes from an ancient organization that has been engaged in subterfuge for thousands of years in an increasingly politically deadly Empire.

I've locked in the existing votes. New votes can still come in.

:troll:

^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Or he's so good that he had his scores covered up. Seriously, someone who got top grades in everything is someone you'd keep an eye on. :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  22. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    A2

^ Top  
  23. A2
    edit:

Flopping to B2.

Maybe I'm just slow, but I just realized that Aodh is the watcher choice from the first update. He almost definitely is another Ean - or someone with Ean-like powers. He can already read minds with contact, but not intent. He may be able to regenerate. If he can and we try to kill him now, he'll probably fall to his "death", but then reappear later and screw us. He knows about our murder of our father, but does he know about our ally Watcher? B2 is the only way Dio can gain enough knowledge of Aodh to deal with him.

edit2: If Dio doesn't win the battle for Ean's soul, I really hope the octopus fucker does. Then we can finally track Sek down and...well, you know...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
  25. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    You know what, guys? This is getting worse than even the most ridiculous levels of shipping Anthony with Erika. Could you please, for the sake of my sanity, quit doing it?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.