Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

newcomer

Learned
B2 or A2, which one is currently winning. If both are tied, put my vote as B2

It's clear that C is a bad choice; from the last updates I just found out that trusting Codex (including me) to make arbitrary long-term decisions will end up disastrous :smug:
Besides, I want to know what happens if we kill an Ean incarnation

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I guess D won't win so A2. I want to see what happens when he is killed.

ScubaV

Prophet
Hmm, the visuals here are bringing back strong memories...oh that's right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kmmggc6jH8

If Lambchop's suspicions are right, what's going on may be related to those experiments by Marduk's scientist Gieloth: imparting humans with superhuman qualities.

Hm... if you are correct, it means that I lied and that option C back at the interlude wasn't PST after all, but could be Baldur's Gate?

A. Bioware
B. Bioware
C. Black Isle Bioware

:troll:

Treave is truly bringing incline to the Biowarian choice. :smug:

Esquilax

Arcane
You've convinced me, Smashing Axe, Kipeci and Tigranes. I've flopped to B2. It probably is way too early to call it quits right now. I think I am letting the experience of foolishly not retreating during the sphere diplomacy segment cloud my judgement. In any case, I'd advise you bros that if we ever get to a precarious position, don't hesitate to bail.

The masked man is very much willing to help us get rid of this loose end, and in a far more permanent fashion than A2 would. He wouldn't have given us the ability to contact him if he wasn't serious about backing us. I'm pretty certain that he's been making the same offer to us that he has to others, but I also believe that Dio's ruthlessness means that he favours us over the others he probably backed. We kill Aodh with A2, he might disappear for a few months, but when he eventually regenerates, there'll be hell to pay. We get rid of him with B2, we won't ever have to worry about Aodh threatening our power again.

I hate being in this asshole's debt, but I also hate dealing with this situation in such an untidy manner.

Baltika9

Arcane
Two-front persuation: success. :smug:
On a more serious note, I don't think our masked friend is with the government, per se. Think about it: in the current political climate, the First Emperor is the last thing the ruling classes want.

Esquilax

Arcane
On a more serious note, I don't think our masked friend is with the government, per se. Think about it: in the current political climate, the First Emperor is the last thing the ruling classes want.

Of course not. The masked man is clearly a very powerful entity. I might be going off on the deep end here with some crazy speculation, but I have a theory here:

Ean returned to the void in the prologue, but he never actually left. What we're actually seeing here is a world created by the spheres, with bits of the real Ean's consciousness strewn about. There is some truth to the illusion, as the spheres are clearly not blind to events in the outside world (i.e. they knew about our palace when we entered their plane). The masked man himself is the sphere that has created this reality* - from the very beginning, the sphere's purpose has been to corrupt Ean for their own goals, something that they have not been able to achieve in three thousand years

Therefore, it's in the spheres' best interest to corrupt Ean and ensure that Dio becomes the dominant personality of Ean. By submitting to that corruption, we're actually working in the sphere's favour. This is why the masked man has been backing us the entire time.

* This is not implausible at all. Look at the vivid illusions they've created for Ean countless times. They could pull off something like this.

Yeah, I've completely fucking lost it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Which one's winning? I'm still on A2 but will happily flop to B2 if it's higher.

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax: welcome to the club. Soon you'll join the Tentacle Incline Team.
Your theory is very possible and, as such,Dio will really have to repent, eventually.
However,my theory is that The Masked One is another fragment of Ean,specifically his hunger.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm just wondering, how do you guys know that the masked man is powerful with supernatural abilities? Also, clearly a trained spy and assassin who got mediocre grades in school must be be a mediocre operative who you can trust not to be lying when he says, I won't lie to you. It's not like he comes from an ancient organization that has been engaged in subterfuge for thousands of years in an increasingly politically deadly Empire.

I've locked in the existing votes. New votes can still come in.

:troll:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Or he's so good that he had his scores covered up. Seriously, someone who got top grades in everything is someone you'd keep an eye on. :rpgcodex:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A2
edit:

Flopping to B2.

Maybe I'm just slow, but I just realized that Aodh is the watcher choice from the first update. He almost definitely is another Ean - or someone with Ean-like powers. He can already read minds with contact, but not intent. He may be able to regenerate. If he can and we try to kill him now, he'll probably fall to his "death", but then reappear later and screw us. He knows about our murder of our father, but does he know about our ally Watcher? B2 is the only way Dio can gain enough knowledge of Aodh to deal with him.

edit2: If Dio doesn't win the battle for Ean's soul, I really hope the octopus fucker does. Then we can finally track Sek down and...well, you know...

Esquilax

Arcane
First, I'd like to note that I don't actually know whether our mysterious masked ally is a Watcher or not, that was only me speculating based on his signet ring and his in-depth knowledge of Dio's life. Anyways, treave, the reason I figured that there was more to the masked man than simply being a shady manipulator or rogue Watcher as I initially thought was this exchange:

“Grieving over your fiancée?” The man laughs. “Ah, but it was a brilliant move. Not many nobles have women so devoted, and those that do tend to repay that devotion by… well… not making them a pawn in their games. Man is a sentimental creature.”

“I was perfectly placed to play this move, so I did. It would be a waste not to. Truth be told, I was inspired by the story you set up for my father’s death.”

“I’m glad I could be of service. Anyway, you have proved yourself worthy, Diogenes Camna. This is why we chose you.

“Why did you choose me again?”

“It is a long story. Have you heard of the Emperor cults that are springing up all over the empire? Each of them is led by a person claiming to be the First Emperor, Ean.”

You have, but you did not see what that had anything to do with this.

“They are right, you know. The Emperor will return, and soon. But they are all led by falsehood. They are but pretenders to the Shinar Throne.”

“And?’ You were weary of this talk. These pretenders could be useful to you, but it was something you can plan for in the future, not tonight.

“You are the real thing,” said the masked man simply.

“Ha, you really are a good jokester, o masked man.”

“Do you remember your birth parents? Do you remember what happened before you were adopted?”

You didn’t, and you do not reply.

“You are the real Ean, and your actions have proven yourself to be smart and ruthless enough to retake your mantle. You are worthy of our aid.”

“I am not going to be sidetracked by stupid bedtime stories. I am willing to work with you as long as it benefits me, but we will only deal in concrete facts.”

The masked man appears to shrug. The sickly sweet smell got stronger as he did so, as it wafted its way into your nose.

“Look here.”

As you do so, a bright light flashes into your eyes, and you know no more.

First, there's the unusual language that he's using: "You are worthy of our aid", indicating that there's more than one of him. Then there's his description of Dio being "smart and ruthless enough to retake your mantle" when the original Ean wasn't really that ruthless even with his hunger, he fought against his nature at every opportunity. The biggest giveaway though is the bright flash of light, followed by the subsequent awakening of our powers, which indicates something awakened our/Ean's memories. I don't know what to make of the sickly sweet smell, but that's unusual too.

Considering how the spheres knew more about Ean's memories and life than even he remembered himself, this all strikes me as very odd. Dio can't remember his life before age 10 either, yet now he's privy to Ean's memories of fighting alongside Sargon in Egypt and going through the Labyrinth.

Then there's the matter of how good the spheres were at creating remarkable illusions:

You woke up with a start. You were in your own bed, back in Ankida. Fukayna was besides you, holding your son in her arms.

"Your majesty, did you have a bad dream?"

You shake your head. You don't remember what happened when you were asleep, but something was... ah.

"This is not Ankida." you sigh.

"Clever man." Fukayna grins. "You lost the first game. Now for the second. I am infinitely patient. I am infinitely kind. You have infinite chances to win the game."

"It's not a very fun game. I refuse."

"Ah, so you lose again."

The room turns white and melts down all around you. Then there was ripping, and tearing, and blood... your blood.

From Ean's POV, there's a really strange disconnect between the events. We tough it out through 3,000 years of torture, then we meet with the Master, who agrees to send us back into the void since they can't bring us back to Earth yet. But instead of appearing in the void, all of a sudden we're thrown into a character creation phase with four different options. Wtf? There just seems to be something that occurred in between here that's missing, and it gives me the feeling that we never really left the void at all.

Call me nuts, but I don't think that this is implausible. The spheres have constructed an elaborate world where they pose as the masked man and his allies in an attempt to finally corrupt Ean so that he "wins" their little game. You're probably laughing your ass off while reading this, though.

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax,it is very plausible indeed.I will be at a decent keyboard in about 1.5h and write a corollary to your theory.I think the Prince is another aspect of Ean, his goodness and humanity.Unless treave denies it(yeah right.) I'm sure Master was real.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Esquilax: not denying anything yet, but it's possible to explain those without using spheres, no?

A2 - 9
B2 - 5
C - 1

Voting's closed.

Baltika9

Arcane
Wait asecond... Ean isn't the Emperor. He is Chaos Undivided!
:eek:
Soldier=Khorne.
Prophet=Slaanesh.
Dio=Tzeench.
Hunger=Malal.
And Nurgle hasn't manifested yet.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

edit2: If Dio doesn't win the battle for Ean's soul, I really hope the octopus fucker does. Then we can finally track Sek down and...well, you know...

You know what, guys? This is getting worse than even the most ridiculous levels of shipping Anthony with Erika. Could you please, for the sake of my sanity, quit doing it?
Sorry, no can do. We're going after that octopussy! :P

newcomer

Learned
Esquilax: not denying anything yet, but it's possible to explain those without using spheres, no?

Let's see... one possible scenario without spheres:
- Ean got fucked by the spheres & managed to escape, but split into different personalities
- The masked man is our sentient sword
- Our sword chooses Dio because he hopes Dio would be less "honourable" and thus allow him to eat more

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 7.6: House Arrest

You lash out with your mind with no warning. The shove catches Aodh entirely by surprise and he topples over the railing. Then, there is a thud as the body hits the floor. You peer over the parapet.

Aodh was lying on the grass, face up. Blood was pooling around him. You see him looking up at you, his expression utterly changed. Where his eyes were soft and warm before, they were now dead and lifeless, gazing vacantly into the air. His face now seemed to be nothing more than a mask, though that amused smirk still remained plastered on his lips. He was dead, you think.

Then the smirk widens into a grin, and those dead eyes fix right at you.

You have no time to wonder what was going on. He was still alive, and you can't let him get away. Resolving yourself to finish him off, you hurry down the stairs. Right as you step into the courtyard, you bump into a squad of five prefects. Two of them were already looking over Aodh's body.

You try to play it cool.

"Sir! Prefect! I saw someone fall from the floor above!" you cry. The leader of the squad, a burly man with a great big bushy beard, eyes you suspiciously. "Is the man alright?" you ask. He shakes his head, making a quick gesture across his throat with his finger - it looks like Aodh was dead. You heave a sigh of relief inwardly, but the prefect's next question kills that relief immediately.

"You are Diogenes Camna, are you not?"

You have a bad feeling about this, but you nod.

"Then you're coming with us. One of the servants saw you throw this man off the balcony after stabbing him. This is a case of murder and a serious violation under Imperial law."

You are struck speechless for a while. There had been no one around when you did the deed, and you hadn't even used your hands. There should've been no proof. "That's impossible, prefect. I saw him fall, yes, but I couldn't have killed him. Who's the one who accused me wrongly?"

"As I said, sir, a servant saw you do it. The justiciar will sort things out, so if you would just come to the courts with -"

"I am Diogenes Camna, head of House Camna and servant of the Prince!" If asking nicely wouldn't work, you would try to bully your way out. "I refuse to be treated like a common criminal when I am innocent of any crime!"

Unfortunately for you, it didn't work. You did manage to convince the justiciar to put you under house arrest while everything was sorted out, but you were not free. As you brooded in your chambers, wondering if Aodh did go as far as to frame you for his own murder somehow, an unfamiliar voice whispered in your ears. "Master Ean."

You draw back with a start, whipping out your dagger. It was the masked man... except taller, with a different voice. You suppose this is one of the masked man's accomplices, but without proof you couldn't be sure. It could be anyone under that mask.

"Who are you?"

"A friend of the one who first came in contact with you."

"Prove it."

"I do not need to prove anything, but if you require, I can tell a tale about the sins you have committed. The letter we helped send to your father, how his own dagger found its way into his breast, why your fiancee actually hung herself... and of course, the memories and powers you have been developing."

You lower the dagger, watching the man intently. "What happened to the last man? Is he busy tonight?"

"Ah, that is why I have come. He was captured, and is presumably dead by now. I was going to inform you of that, and to tell you that you should no longer use the method he gave you previously to contact us. It has been compromised, and we will give you a new code. Unfortunately, judging by the prefects posted around your house, it seems that I came too late to prevent you from being strung up in their trap. They act fast."

You grasp at your hair in frustration. "Just what is going on here? If there is something going on, you leave me in the dark until it is too late? I've been arrested, and my secret is known!"

"Calm, Master Ean. We have been in great danger on our part, and have had to act very carefully. We apologize for the delay, but we are finally ready to act."

"Act on what? Stop speaking in riddles."

The masked man bows. "Understood, Master Ean. You are, as you well know, the reincarnation of the First Emperor."

"I don't feel like it."

"The memories you possess and the powers you wield are proof of it. It is unmistakable."

"The memories I can do without. They irritate and distract me." You had no love for this supposed Emperor and his memories. They were irrelevant things that happened thousands of years ago.

"We are the Watchers, founded by the God-Emperor Ean himself as his eyes and ears. As his reincarnation, we serve you with everything we have. Our aim is to restore you to power. Unfortunately, some of our brethren do not agree with us, and it is they who are attempting to destroy you."

"They framed me."

"Yes, Master Ean. As expected of one with your intelligence. The man you thought you killed was one of them. Though they captured one of us - the one who you had met with - they were probably unable to extract evidence from him, only hearsay. Based on that they would not have been able to convict you, so instead they chose to lure you into committing yet another crime."

"I didn't commit any crime."

"Ah, in front of your loyal servants there is no need to hide your actions, Master Ean, though we fully appreciate your skill at deception. Now, all might seem lost, but it is within our expectations. You did not act fully within their expectations either, and they will have a hard time attempting to prove it was indeed you that killed the man, particularly since they cannot show the body in public, for the simple reason that there is no body to show. That does not mean time is on your side, Master Ean, as eventually they will be able to either track down evidence or fabricate it. By restricting your activities, they are on the verge of victory. But all is not lost. As I have said, we are finally ready to act."

"And as I have asked you before, act on what?"

"To eventually obtain you the throne, Master Ean. We have learnt that the rural madman is planning to assault the capital in five nights. Daring and mad, but that is not unexpected. In the confusion, we will have prepared ways to remove the obstacles in your path."

"I suppose all I have to do is sit here while you murder all of my rivals?"

"Unfortunately, that will not do, Master Ean. We do need you to lead us and show us your strength. You have a target for assassination too, and we will help you achieve it."

You sigh. "Who do I kill this time?"

"Prince Runikylos, who even now does not believe that you are responsible for the murder of his trusted man, and has ordered his men to investigate this case personally. Of course, his men will never tell him of your innocence. Nonetheless, he remains an obstacle to your rule, Master Ean, and you too know he must go. If he ever finds out of your true nature, he would be a deadly enemy. Two of us will be accompanying you on that night to silence the good prince for good."

You gaze at the masked man quietly. There were some things in his tale that didn't seem to add up, but you were in a desperate position. If what he said was true, you had been caught up in events beyond your knowledge, and you could not scheme until you know more. Unfortunately, being under house arrest, your only source of knowledge would be these mysterious masked people, and that could be unreliable.

A. You will murder the Prince, according to their plan. Power is at hand! Becoming the Emperor of the Empire is all you have ever dreamed of, and thought you would never accomplish. Now that the chance has fallen in your lap, there is nothing to do but take it. Should history regard you as a coward who dared not reach for his dreams?

B. You will lead the two assassins to the Prince, then kill them in front of him and pretend they had forced you to do everything that he knows you have done - whatever it is that he knows. You really aren't that interested in being top dog, you just want to be second. Besides, you don't trust these people.

C. You will have no part of this. No more plotting, no more scheming, no more risk-taking... at least for now. You refuse the masked man's plot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom