Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A trial will be involved, yes, though you have to also consider that things may change between now and the trial date. If you do sit and wait, it will be called in a week's time. Obviously, by virtue of just sitting safely at home instead of going out and stabbing people, C is a viable option that poses the least immediate risk to your wellbeing. Whether it is the smartest in the long run, of course, is the crux of the matter, and depends on how you handle it.

Hm, I shouldn't be doing this, but you might want to turn the chessboard around and think about this from Aodh's point of view.

Assume his reason is to get rid of you, which I think is a reasonable assumption to make, as so far his actions has matched his stated reason. Now, you would suspect he can't kill you because of immortality shenanigans, but it should be possible to, say, drug you, kidnap you and sink you to the bottom of the sea, if he wanted to. After all, the Watchers are clearly excellent enough at stealth that they can ghost into your house undetected multiple times. Why has he not done so, and in the case he does want to, why can't he?

Sure, you won't be able to obtain a full answer because you don't have a clear picture of what is going on with the Watchers, but there might be enough info scattered around the thread, both in-update and meta, for you to piece together something to go on.

^ Top  
  2. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Esquilax:note that C means we tell our Watchers "No,I'm not playing this game."Which could make them say "Okay,up yours",leaving us up shit creek with no paddle and in a kangaroo court against the Gestapo.
    Or this could be Sek's "send Edem" plan again.

^ Top  
  4. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    These masked men have led us to this. They want this confrontation. If we keep playing their game Dio will keep being blindsided.

I'm for either B or C, haven't decided yet.

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, can Dio just say "Take me to your leader!"?
    Or at least ask the question of who their leader is and what is his name?
    And none of that "You are" crap, either.
    Edit: is there a House Me'Kras in the Empire?

^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    :lol: Sorry, but that sounds retarded, bro. What do you expect them to say? Of course he's going to say "We are devoted to you, Master Ean!"

Ah, I had already considered this. I believe that he hasn't taken more permanent measures against us because the Prince still believes that we're innocent. He can't just off us while the evidence is really shaky and we're under house arrest. It'll come off as an incredibly obvious plot to kill a loyal up-and-coming nobleman who was becoming very close to the prince. Once he does that, it'll cast suspicion on his entire Watcher network. So Aodh's move is to either bait us into committing a crime, or bide his time to fabricate evidence and get rid of us that way.

This is another reason why I don't think that this Watcher is our guy. Why would one of our guys be so gung-ho about assassinating the Prince when he (a) doesn't believe we're guilty and (b) we're fucking under arrest, which means we should lay low. You don't see guys awaiting trial calling up their pals to bring in half a ton of coke across the border. Lastly, the most damning thing is that we never brought up or mentioned the Prince in a single previous conversation with the masked man we met.

Based on this, the only two decent choices are B and C. Nevertheless, I still think that C is the better option because I think our chances are good during the trial.

Btw treave, I think you messed up a little on the dialogue. Once he got caught, Dio should have said "Once again, the First Emperor sees fit to ram cock in fucking ass!!!"

^ Top  
  7. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    B - the game is rigged, so stop playing the game.

This whole thing makes no sense. Why are the pieces of Ean at war with one another? It seems like they are being manipulated by the watchers.

Let me ask you this: would Ean - the real one - go along with any of this? Nope. He'd say, 'fuck you' and refuse to be manipulated - just like he did in the sphere. edit: Only unlike in the sphere, we need to be on the offensive about it. If we're going to win this, we have to become the real Ean and refuse to be manipulated by the watchers any more and fight back.

C
    And back to...

B

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Esquilax: Chrissakes, that was a joke.
    And while I'm not as gung-ho about it as Lambchop, the sentiment does make sense, in the context of Ean. He was never one for reason, but about cojones. Now, in the context of Dio, no.p
    But since I want Ean back...

^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    D: I'm almost tempted to 'use the old method' that is apparently compromised and see what happens. Worst case: it was compromised indeed, and the bad watchers appear, but if they wanted to kill us with their ninja-fu they would have done it already, so what can they do? Best case: this guy is the liar and the 'compromised method' actually brings us the real watcher.

I was half-joking but I actually can't see the downside here, there clearly is something fishy going on so A is out, but B seems kind of drastic. What do you guys think?

^ Top  
  10. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    And as long as we're going nuts with theories...here's mine:
    I don't know how, but somehow the royal bloodline is the real Ean. That's part of the watchers want the prince dead and they want us to do it...for some reason... By choosing B we'll be choosing temporarily or permanently to side under the real Ean - as the choice mentions not wanting to be top dog, only second.

There's my crazy theory...

One could even take it a step further and say that everyone the watchers have had us kill were somehow a part of the real Ean. The father was Ean's kindness and generosity, killing our former lover was like killing Ean's ability to love, killing the prince would be killing Ean's trusting nature, and the Emp himself, Ean's libido? I don't know. I just think it's interesting that the watchers want US to kill people. They've never killed anyone themselves.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I don't think that makes much sense, unfortunately. You could do that then say every kind person related to Dio is Ean, etc. And they're offering to kill people now, at least, and it made sense for us to be the ones to knock off dad, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Um... When did they offer to kill anyone - on their own, I mean? All they offered was to accompany us. Maybe they'll help out and maybe not...

Let's take my theory a bit further even... What if they are the sword and can't kill without Ean's - or a piece of Ean's - permission/involvement - or maybe can't kill because they are a part of Ean, everyone in this world - or at least the major players - are a part of Ean, and we are Ean's hunger - always greedy, a murder by nature?

edit: again, not saying I think this is true, just exploring the possibility.

No...they said they've prepared ways to remove obstacles from our path, but weren't specific. They seemed to imply that they'd assissinate someone, but didn't actually say it. They just said that we "had a target for assassination, too." and then told us who to kill. Again.

It's true they didn't tell us to kill our fiance, but the watcher was quite pleased by it. Also, Aodh is a watcher and is somehow different. I'm not 100% sure what that means, but for some reason he can't be killed and that may not necessarily mean he's like us exactly...

Anyway, all conjecture, as you said.

edit3: It also has no effect on my vote above.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Last update said they will assassinate a bunch of people, but we'll have to take one too, and they'll help us do that. Also, they never told us to get our fiancee killed, or to kill Aodh.

So sure it could be true, but if we go that far into conjecture anything could be.

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Ah, but you see...

Given Runikylos's nature, you could make a good argument that he wouldn't suspect Aodh having a hand in your disappearance anymore than he currently suspects you of actually throwing the poor guy off the fifth floor. Some other poor faction opposed to Runikylos would probably get the blame.

:troll:

Well, it's not fair of me to be engaging in this discussion too deeply, so that's as much as I should be saying about this topic. You do raise an important point of things not being as they seem, but as to what they actually are, well, I do enjoy the speculation and how close it sometimes comes to the truth.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Bugger this for a lark. Time to say no. I vote

C

^ Top  
  16. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    B

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    From a meta point of view, Runikylos is beneficial for the empire and possibly just what it needs to overcome its stagnation. Plus these guys do not seem to legitimately believe in us as Ean reincarnated.

B

^ Top  
  18. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Ah, let me address this one. It's a good thing to try, but I don't want to spend the time of an update on this particular action, so I'll just tell you what happens if you try it.

No one comes.

It could be because it was indeed compromised, but the watchers know that you have already been in contact with the enemy, so they are wary it's an ambush and do not show up. It could also be because it wasn't compromised at all, but due to some circumstances, they are unable to respond, such as being pressured and slowly smoked out by the enemy watchers. Might want to keep an eye on the news for an increase in cases of accidental defenestration over the past week and coming week, not including your own case. :lol:

^ Top  
  20. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME

^ Top  
  21. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

Helly
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

^ Top  
  22. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV

^ Top  
  23. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    If you really have no idea what you're doing, you really should not be voting at all. :roll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Look, I realize that this situation has caught us off-guard, but Azira is right... even if that dog is adorable. This is the exact same problem that we had back during the rift. Instead of thinking about shit, most voters just reacted to events as they unfolded because they were in that "oh shit, what are we going to do?!" mindset. You know why Smashing Axe's theory of bandwagoning is usually correct? It's because people rely on groupthink to make choices instead of talking shit over, and that's why we get fucked. So just relax for a second

Well, treave gave us a few breadcrumbs, and there are a lot of questions here. I think I have some ideas:

1) What's going on with the Watchers?

I believe that the Watchers are split up into three groups: (1) Loyalists, who are Aodh's people supporting the prince, (2) Usurpers, Dio's Watchers, and the wild card (3) Separatists. I believe that there is a Scanian splinter group among the Watchers in the north who have been supporting Jannik Inge:

This tells me that they must have had someone on the inside working with them. Blowing up the wall, getting funding from Free Scania - I think that this all points to another faction within the Watchers. This was only thwarted because they didn't take into account that another superhuman would be there to stop the plot.

2) Can we trust this new Watcher?

Well, if this is our guy, and I now think it might be, it would make sense.
    I don't know. He might be new, but that doesn't mean that he isn't one of our guys. Let's compare the story that Aodh gave us with the story that this new guy is giving us:

Interesting. Look at the discrepancy. This Watcher knows exactly how and when we murdered our way to the top, but look at Aodh's description of events; far less detail. Aodh still hasn't pieced everything together, which tells me that the new masked man might be legit. New Guy is also telling us that our Watcher died, which I believe 100% regardless of his allegiance. These guys are trained to withstand interrogation, and when you combine that with the religious fanaticism ingrained in them over 3,000 years, that means that the operative would sooner die than rat us out.

3) Okay, well... why aren't we dead yet?

If this is our guy, of course we aren't dead.

If it isn't, then I'm not sure. I am fairly certain that there's a third faction of Watchers in support of Jannik Inge, but why would Aodh need us dead to root them out? Maybe just to pin the deed on them to cover up our murder if we decide to stick around. Very tough choice.

^ Top  
  25. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    If we vote for C, what happens to Runikylos? He gets killed by two watchers? The reason I'm voting B, is to be there to stop the assassination. There might not be an attempt to his life if we vote C, but I'm not taking chances.

The point of this chapter is not to make Dio a new emperor, it is to discover what happened to Ean and how to regain control of him. On that note, we shouldn't be focusing our efforts to watcher's war. I think we should keep Runikylos alive and gain his trust. He has shown to be trusting and honorable man and will most likely help us if we trust him. But should he die, what happens then? How is the death of the heir going to affect the Empire when watchers aren't protecting it's interest?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.