Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    Two updates would be twice as long as it worked last time!

The main issue I see is that Codex voted for Ean to go back to the void before this chapter began, so Naram wouldn't have been beaming Ean in from the Masters' homeworld and probably wouldn't even be able to find Ean until he made it back through the rift.

That said, ten thousand human lives is a lot to expend in an act of gratuitous dickery, especially by 1st century AD standards. Unless Naram's gone rogue, he probably brought someone here with that sacrifice. I'd guess that it was the Master who volunteered to look after Earth at the end of chapter 5, but that would mean it took him 2000 years to arrive. Maybe Naram asked his bosses to have Vajra delivered?

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Chapter five, here we come again.

Hopefully with better results this time, but from the track record I can assume that by the end, the Olympus rift will be the size of the Moon and our dear little planet will be Clusterfuck Central, the Space Squids will bring more of their families to land in China, the remnants of the Masters' elite strike force that survive the Great White Yonder will occupy the Empire, Dio will be driven insane by the sword and Ean will be GTFO'ing with Shulgi and what remains of his bros.

Edit: and then Mega Marduk shows up, gorged with that Devourer fragment he had on him, and we'll be right fucked, because the Masters will push the giant red "fuck this" button. Come to think of it: Fallout, here we come.
    Edit 2: Instead of, say, taking ten years as Dio to prepare for the inevitable shitstorm.
    Edit 3: Oh, how could I forget about the superpowered cannibal clones?
    At least it will be a fun ride.

^ Top  
  3. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Bitter much? :troll:

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You misunderstand.
    I love watching trainwrecks. It's just that this didn't have to go in that direction. But I still get the lulz, so it's a win-win anyway.

Edit:
    :troll:
    Reverse troll, never underestimate the Codex.

^ Top  
  5. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Could we play Dio until Ean revives and then have a choice of it we wish to now play as Ean?

^ Top  
  6. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    And B has it. Phew. Close one.

I never really cared too much for Dio, but I really don't think he can survive the Codex being in control of him any longer than he has. Just one chapter and we've already locked him in prison, lost him his fiancee, his father, his eye, his army, unleashed a horde of undead upon his homeland, gotten the only agents truly loyal to him killed, had Ban - the one person who trusted him as a friend - driven mad... Honestly, Dio really needs us to stop making decisions for him or somehow develop high-speed regeneration and a host of other Ean powers in order to merely survive us any longer - or else he'd just become some sort of eyeless, armless, legless, lonely, deaf, mute, cripple. The one thing we've had going for us is luck and that's the only reason Dio has managed to obtain what he has. The best thing for Dio and for the entire world is to get the Codex back with the character they did the most good with - Ean.

Also, the whole cannibal thing could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The hunger was created to contain the gieloth and it worked to an extent. Perhaps it will contain these crazy Ean wannabes until the real Ean can put them in their place. At the very least, when they start eating people, it may sway some from believing in them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Interlude: Awakening

It is a strange feeling, to awaken satiated. You had almost gotten used to the persistent hunger plaguing you, but this day, as you open your eyes, you know that your hunger had somehow been completely sated and would remain so for a while.

The first thing you noticed was that you were in a transparent container of some sort - probably glass, though it had been broken from the front.

The second thing you noticed was a woman in metal armour, standing at a safe distance with an uneasy look about her face. She bore a shield and a spear, and you recognize her almost at once, though her power seems to have grown tremendously since you last saw her.

"I didn't expect you to be the first one I see," you speak, your voice croaking. "Still, I'm glad to have made it back." On hindsight, plunging into the void had been reckless. You could remember little after that, and you only knew that you had managed to return when you saw her.

"How long has it been, Athena?" By the looks of the armour she wore, of a design you had never seen before, you could surmise that your world had advanced somewhat beyond when you left it. "I was tricked by them," mutters Athena. "You should not have opened your eyes again." She steps towards you, an unwilling look on her face, an apology upon her lips. "I'm sorry."

You sense that she means to do you harm. Though you were slightly bewildered at this reception, you were not groggy enough that you didn't know what to do. Marshalling your strength, you break free of the container. At the same time, you send out a blast of telekinesis at Athena. It only manages to knock her back a step, but that was enough. You close the distance to where her spear would be useless. Snaking one hand around her shield-arm, you stretch out your other arm and call for Anbar-Shi. It responds, just as it always has, forming from your flesh, soft skin warping into hard metal. The point of your sword stops a hair's breadth beneath her chin. Athena freezes. No matter if she outclasses you in sheer power, once you get this close, with Anbar-Shi ready to strike, she could not remain unharmed.

"You were holding back, weren't you? That wasn't too smart." you grin. With her current power she should've been able to blow you back before you got this far. Then, you shake your head. "Wait, that's not important. Why are you attacking me?"

"Orders, Ean. My orders were to keep you safely sleeping, and to continue putting you back to sleep should you wake."

There were probably only one group of entities she would admit to taking orders from.

"Your masters are around?"

She bites her lower lip pensively and shakes her head. "No, not exactly."

You sigh. "Having a sword at your throat isn't exactly a comfortable position for me to be in. Can we just... talk?"

Athena closes her eyes for a second. "I suppose so. He will not be able to compel me to do anything when I'm so far away. It's a long story, though."

"That's fine, I'm not exactly hungry at the moment. Now, tell me everything."

The Empire held together just fine for centuries after you left, but sometime around 750 A.C., Sekhenun had succeeded in opening the portal she had been working on. Athena had not been there when it happened, but she knew the aftermath. A Master had come through. It had apparently slaughtered all that were present and possessed an immortal known as Naram, who had engineered his own presence at the opening. Whether he had a hand in allowing the Master through, Athena did not know. Upon its arrival, the Master had imposed its will upon the voices of all the immortals he could reach. Athena's voices had awoken again, for a short while, before becoming a robotic call of command. In that brief period, they had warned her that this being was an outcast of some sorts, an entity that had become different from the Masters they knew.

Naram, bonded to the Master, had then headed north to Skane, where he had faced off against the immortal known as Shulgi, who had been gathering power of his own. Despite all his plots and schemes, the victor was never in any doubt, and Shulgi vanished off the face of the earth. Naram himself was severely wounded in the battle, and retreated from view to recuperate in isolation. The next time he reappeared, more than a thousand years later, he had managed to manipulate the Imperial family of the Shinar under his thumb.

You reappeared all of a sudden soon after that, though when Naram brought your body before Athena you were already in an unending slumber. What happened next was a bevy of experiments you were subjected to, under Naram's purview, though he grew bored after a few decades and soon had you put aside in favour of other pursuits. The Watchers and the Imperial family they served, however, had other ideas in mind, and used your body to create many beings with similar powers to your own. In the end, a small group of these 'offspring' of yours had come to New Athens, seeking your help. They were more crafty than Athena had given them credit for, and managed to lure her away while another woke you.

In your unconscious state, your hunger devoured him at the moment he touched you. You know his name and his memories; his loves and losses. He was now part of you, as part of you was once him. Three of them had come seeking divine aid, and now only two were left; Athena had captured them and left them tied up further from the chamber you had woken up in.

You already knew what forced them to make this pilgrimage... it looks like you had a lot of work ahead of you.

The world still needs to be set right.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Most likely not.
    It's a matter of having a strong enough constitution to withstand them.

^ Top  
  9. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    'Sup, Zeus?

Shame about Sek, though. It was a real friend to us, pretty much the only friend Ean ever had.

Fuck.:( And there is no time manipulation in this setting, right?

^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    This is why we should have kept her head in the jar. :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    In before MASSIVE Sekhelulz troll.
    Edit: nah, she/it's most likely dead. At least we have it's sister trapped in Dio's Anbar'Shi, and boy is she ever naughty.
    Edit 2: Oh, how could I forget, we'll finally get to dual-wieldan Anbar'Shi. Niiiice.

^ Top  
  13. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    :(

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Sekhenun might be dead, but she might also be kept around for the simple fact that she succeeded in opening this portal. Imagine the Master wanting to return at some point, it probably pays to have a scientist around that can open such a portal.

Though, in most likelyhood, the Master has the knowledge needed, and wouldn't see any reason to keep a live Gieloth around, and yes, then Sekh is very much dead. :troll:

Still, I really dig this interlude info dump. Now I'm curious as to which spawn Ean's already consumed and who the other two are..

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Who knows, they might have turned her into a weapon of some sort. :troll:

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :bravo:
    Edit:Of course, if she really is Dio's sword, then she's really pissed at Ean. That, or she was playing "nice" with him because of her promise.

^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Or maybe she wanted to get to Ean as she saw her as her one possibility of regaining normal form. Masking it as a want to consume him could be a ploy. Is there any other creature on this ball of mud likely to want to help her? :troll:

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Or...
    :mhd:
    "Why did you leave me Ean? Can't you see that I love youuuuu? I shall consume your body and we will be together, foreverrrr..."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    So a master possessing the most powerful immortal. And how do you suppose Dio would fare against him when Shulgi didn't have a chance?

^ Top  
  20. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Lambchop19, keeping Sek's head in a jar would have been even more problematic. Ean and Sek had a very good working relationship and she was really forthcoming with a lot of knowledge, somehow I doubt we would be able to work together so well if we kept her contained.

As for Zeus (and it almost certainly is Zeus), I have a theory. His motivation here is revenge, not against Ean, but against his fellow Masters:

They hung him out to dry and now he's very, very pissed off. He and Marduk were at the center of a tear in the fabric of reality, so I wouldn't be surprised if he developed Gieloth traits due to all of this occurring in the middle of being devoured by Marduk. I am also curious as to whether Zeus still possesses his pieces of Vajra or not - getting to them would be a huge boon for Ean once the barriers between both our worlds are gone.

The question remains as to why Zeus, upon possessing Naram, decided to keep Ean alive. I believe that his long-term plans for Ean were perhaps to insert another batch of voices in him, or perhaps even possess him in the future. I think he wanted to have another powerful immortal to serve as his thrall, but given Ean's unique condition, he had to put our boy on ice while a more permanent method of enslavement could be found. We've heard the Master in the Chapter 7 Interlude alluding toward the possibility of putting the voices in us:

As for who our meal was prior to waking up, I'm putting my money on Ban. After Dio returned to Ankida a hero, Aodh and the madman teamed up and made a pilgrimage towards New Athens after recovering Ban's camatose body.

I think that our best bet in the short-term will be to bro up with Shulgi. Also, we have to be willing to make some sacrifices - there are going to be a hundred or so super-powered cannibals roaming about, so we have to be willing to let some chaos occur so long as we can eventually get to Zeus and save Earth from an apocalypse in the end.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I don't think the third one is madman. I just don't see the madman working with others. And besides, if one of them were madman, he would have been the one to touch Ean. I think the trio was Ban, Aodh and Joan. Aodh spent a lot of time with martyrs of Ean so he probably formed close ties with her.

Assuming Shulgi is still alive and we can somehow find him. If get him to help us, it will be like with the terasphagos, him sending gifts while staying hidden all along.

^ Top  
  22. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    They KILLED SEK. great effing GREAT.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    No, I don't believe that would be the case now. If Shulgi is alive and is Fenrir, then I am pretty sure he'll be willing to work with us directly. He knows Big Z's power, he knows he's a danger to the world and he knows that he can do nothing against him. He would also know that, together with Ean and perhaps Dio they just might stand a chance.

Of course, this being Shulgi, and assuming he didn't level his BRO stat, we can only trust him as far as we can throw him(which is, admittedly, rather far) and should expect a betrayal as soon as we are finished with Zee, but other than that, I'm sure he'll be a rather enthusiastic partner.

The problem, of course, will be finding him: Dagrun and Inge may not be alive still and it wouldn't really surprise me, considering Dio now has the powers of a God at his disposal and was the ballsiest motherfucker on the planet until this update.

Also,
    it wouldn't surprise me if he developed some weapon against Ean and knew now all his weaknesses. We should be careful.

Does this mean we finally got the Omophageic implant?:bounce:

P.S.: I can just imagine Ean's reactions when he wakes up. It must be a mix of "How do I keep getting myself into this shit." and "Oh come on, I was only gone for three hundred one hundred three thousand years! How can you fuck this up!?" and "I shoulda killed those two morons back at the crater."

Edit: really, all our problems stem from those two. Shulgi screwed up Akkad, Naram screwed up Shulgi and hence allowed Marduk to rise; I'm almost certain Naram was responsible for summoning Zeus into this world, given his appearance in Egypt; And if it weren't for him, I'm pretty sure Sek's experiment would have gone just fine and dandy and all those MHD freeloaders would get the hell of our planet. There is no reason for Naram to exist.

^ Top  
  24. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    My thoughts exactly. Allow me to suggest:

Devour Soul

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    About that, I don't think devouring him or Zeus is that bright an idea, not until we know and understand what exactly they've become. We know that the devoured become part of the devourer. We also know this, from chapter three:
    Apparently, if the eaten target has a strong enough will/presence, it will be able to retain it's personality and perhaps take over. And Naram is possessed by Big Zee, so that doesn't sound too bright an idea to me.
    And he was the guy in charge of Project Terra, so this is an even greater hint.

And, I don't want Ean to get infected with Naram's Master-worshiping.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.