Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    B

I'll miss you Dio :(

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You gotta play him to understand it. Soon, you'll go from
    :neveraskedforthis:
    to
    :flamesaw:

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    C – 10
    B – 3

Chapter 8.2: Our Lady of the Martyrs

“When it happens, run. I’ll meet up with you at the hideout,” you whisper to Dario and Tenebrae.

“What are you planning to do?” she replies nervously, as the soldiers begin to close in.

“Something to buy you time. You’ll know when to act.” You sense a small glimmer of satisfaction flit across Dario’s mind as he nods.

“What are you whispering about?” shouts one of the soldiers as he puts a gauntleted hand on your shoulder. You smile at the soldier. “It’s nothing, sir. Do we really have no choice but to come with you?”

“What do you think, prick? You Yellowstreaks do love trying to talk your way out of things, don’t you?” The soldier laughed as he looked back at his jeering comrades. A second soldier came forward with an ugly leer on his face. “Heard Yellowstreaks prefer fucking to fighting,” he grinned, his eyes fixed on Tenebrae. “Maybe that’s what it takes to get you guys to come with us nicely, eh?”

You notice Tenebrae’s hand slowly moving to her back, where you knew that she had a dagger hidden. You turn to Dario. “They’re supposed to be Imperial soldiers, right? Is that what passes for discipline in the army these days?”

“I’m sure these men signed up after Britannia left the Empire. Standards certainly have fallen.” Dario had a slightly bemused smile on his face. His words were greeted with howls of rage from the soldiers, and the grip on your shoulder tightens.

“Shut your piehole, you bastard! Looks like we gotta do this the hard way!” The soldier raises his fist. You steel yourself, waiting for the blow. The metal fist lands square in your face, knocking your head back. There was – as expected – some pain, but not even a tooth of yours was shaken loose, and your feet remained firmly on the ground. You look at the soldier straight in the eye and grin.

“I see.”

Dario took that as their cue to run, dragging Tenebrae behind him. The perplexed soldier tries to punch you again, but you shrug off his grip easily and drive your elbow into his armoured chest. The movement comes to you naturally, rising from your old memories and instincts. He tumbles to the ground, shouting. Now you knew the metalwork in this time had really improved. You were holding back, but you had expected to make a dent in the armour at least. It looks like you would have to employ more strength. Needing no further encouragement, the rest of the soldiers jump on you, starting the brawl.

That was their mistake. The armour restricted their range of movement, and in their rush to get to you, they got in each other’s way. You nimbly weave your way around them, sending them to the ground with a simple push or sweep of your leg. You still needed them to lead you to their Lady; you’d have to leave them being able to walk, at the least.

“Goddamn it, you prancing coward! Stand still and fight!” screamed the first soldier. As you turn to face him, prepared to grant his wish, you gaze into the barrel of a pistol. You knew of these firearms from Meyes’s memories, but this was your first time seeing one for yourself.

“Stop, Captain Tross! Our Lady wants them alive!” shouted one of his friends. It came a bit too late, as the good captain had already pulled back his finger. There was a loud bang. Instinctively your head ducks to one side and you feel the lead pellet graze your cheek, drawing blood. It flew faster than an arrow – had you not known what the weapon did, you might not have been able to avoid the shot… though it probably wouldn’t have made any difference to you. There was a brief, stunned silence from the soldiers around you as the smoke from the gun cleared.

“Alright, that’s enough. A man knows when he’s beaten.” You call out to the soldiers, raising your hands, smiling as you do so. “I can’t fight against a pistol. You have me. Well done.”

Tross shouts at you in a rage, his brutish face uncomfortably close, and hits you with his gun. You feel the soldiers grabbing you, some of them shouting at Tross to put the damn weapon down. Clapping manacles and chains around your wrists, they lead you away.

The Lady of the Martyrs was ensconced in a very comfortable chair in a private room at the local inn. Her pretty, girlish looks were perhaps only a few years older than your own apparent age, but her demeanour spoke of experience and confidence. She possessed the calm of a person that knew that what they had to do in life was right.

“Who is this man, Captain Tross?” Her voice was as composed as her looks.

“My Lady, he is one of the Yellowstreaks. We caught them coming back from New Athens, as you predicted, but the other two escaped.”

Her eyes turned to you, slightly puzzled. “The other two? I see. This man must be just one of their associates. He’s not what I seek.”

“My Lady?” grunted the bewildered Tross, who had suffered the indignity of being pushed around in his heavy armour and would not have it be in vain.

“Ah, yes. Apparently he is a very good fighter. That is what I surmised from your report.”

“But I didn’t –“ Tross grimaced, catching himself.

“The Martyrs of Ean always welcome skilled men…?” She trailed off at the end of her sentence and inclined her head, awaiting your name.

“You may call me Runi. You’re… Joan? Did I pronounce that correctly?”

Tross exploded with rage. “You insolent whelp!” He started towards you, arms raised. The Lady held up a hand and shook her head. “That is fine. Tross, leave us. You are being disruptive.” Grumbling and muttering under his breath, the soldier stomped out of the room.

Joan sighed. “He’s a loyal man, but extremely temperamental.”

“So I see.”

“You are an interesting man, Runi. A man of your skills would be a great asset with us in our battle against Skane and the Empire. Why do you stay with those pacifists?”

“They haven’t given me any reason to leave them, I suppose?” This was technically true. “You and your men seem to hold them in very low regard. Why is that?”

“They have power… some power, but power still… yet they refuse to use it to fight for good. Instead they stay hidden and lend their aid in insignificant ways. If they joined us, it could tip the balance in our favour.”

You run through Meyes’s memories, checking her words. It seems that the Empire had held the advantage throughout the conflict, but they had never pressed it. You weren’t sure whether the situation was balanced enough to be tipped in her favour, but you let it pass.

You reply. “They’re doing insignificant things right now, wasting their strength?”

“Yes, exactly.”

“Why, then, did you send sixteen armoured soldiers to bring them before you?”

She did not waste time with her response. It was prompt and curt. “That is a matter for the Martyrs to know.”

“If I want to know, join you,” you muse.

Joan smiled. “Exactly. You are a smart man.”

“If I don’t?”

The smile became a frown, and she sighed again. “Then you are free to go, though there will always be a place in the ranks for you. I am not in the habit of murdering people just because they are not on my side.”

A. You join the Martyrs of Ean. The organization does bear your name after all, and from Meyes’s memories you think that the Lady is probably the most scrupulous of the three powers right now. They are the ones you have decided to be deserving of victory in this conflict.

B. You offer to become a spy, going back to Dario and Tenebrae and reporting on their group for the Lady. Of course, you actually plan to be a double agent, gathering information and making connections from both sides for your own purposes.

C. You reject her offer and walk away. Meyes woke you up at the cost of his own life, and you will focus your efforts on helping out his group and carrying out his wishes that way.

D. Fuck all this sneaking around. You reveal yourself to the Lady of the Martyrs and let her taste your divinity.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Ooooh... :hero:

^ Top  
  5. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    D - I want to see what she can do.

^ Top  
  6. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I still think it would be prudent to not go in blind. Fighting her here and now might be good for lulz, but I'd rather we try and play this savvy. Let's not let everyone in on who we are just yet. This means we have to go back to the Yellowstreaks and impose this demand on them (tell them to wait until we're in the proper positions and whatnot), and what better way to do this than while serving as a double agent?

B

^ Top  
  7. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Enough skulking and sneaking. We're not Dio anymore.

D

^ Top  
  8. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  9. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Storyfag, just curious, why do you want to attack her? What do you hope to get out of it? I am pretty sure we could take her. We have the element of surprise, and I very much doubt that she matches us in terms of skill - she won't see it coming. The question is whether it's worth it or not, and I'm not convinced that it is. When we reveal ourselves, I'd rather do so against Shulgi or Dio instead of the weakest player of the three.

The Yellowstreaks and the Martyrs would not fare too well even if they joined forces. The might of the Empire and the hidden presence of Shulgi in Skane don't bode well for Brittania-Gallia. We should get as much info as possible and then ditch these losers. The fate of the planet is at stake, so I don't care about helping a bunch of scrappy underdogs win out unless it really works in our favour.

With B, I think there's a risk of getting caught (playing both sides is a dangerous game) but the upside is that we can learn a lot without showing our hand. I don't see either faction as really viable, and I'm more interested in saving Earth.

On a side note, I am beginning to distrust Dario:

This guy told us that the Lady would likely not let us go, while in reality she's been quite civil to us. The glimmer of satisfaction is also curious. It's important to remember that Dario is quite intelligent and a very savvy talker - after all, this is the guy that fooled Athena, so there's no reason why he can't do the same to us. I think Dario might be a little fed up with the fact that he's hanging out with a bunch of pussies.

A wild theory I've got is that there might be ways to increase our powers without corrupting ourselves further by having our Successors merge with us and absorb into us. I'm hoping that this doesn't increase our corruption because they were formed from our own flesh, so it would be like putting back a part of ourselves that was already there. I dunno, maybe that might be a compelling reason to pick a side, perhaps?

Flopped to D again

^ Top  
  10. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Who said anything about attacking her? It'll likely devolve into that as she desparately attempts to cling to her influence, yes, but I don't intend Ean to be the attacker here.

Obedience. Information. Progress.

I want to get as much info as possible and then ditch these losers. Just as you do. I simply believe D is the fastest route to that goal.

^ Top  
  11. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    If D succeeds, the most likely outcome is that we declare our Eanhood and we swallow the Lady's powerbase, immediately making us one of the three players. THe problem is, we do so by absorbing possibly the weakest and most remote of the three powers, and then we will simply have Dio and Shulgi on our arse. B for now while I think it through.

^ Top  
  13. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Why? D simply means we declare our Eanhood to the Lady herself, not worldwide. Plus it's not like we can't shapeshift AND conceal our power and nature. We can and will come and go as we please, until we learn enough to act.

^ Top  
  14. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  15. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Sure she will let him go, but she wanted the others. So she probably has means how to track us now.
    The thing with major players knowing Ean is around, might be just matter of time until Athena spreads the news.
    I really want to know what D choice opens up, yet B has some merit. Yet I think D is the way to go, because if they cant manage without a bunch of pacifists they deserve to be replaced.
    Unless they have hidden allies in the shadows.:smug:

D for Dominance :cool:

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Or he's a double-agent. Remember, Aodh threw in his lot with Joan and it is very plausible that she sent him to stake out the Yellowstreaks and get them to join us, maybe Tenebrae was the target(seriously, that name, why?), and when he found out about Project Lazarus, he thought to deliver Ean to Joan.

The fact that Ean basically went by himself could have made him smug because he killed two birds with one stone: Got Big E to his "mistress" and could continue staking out the Yellowstreaks.

As for the vote: don't vote D. It not only ruins our element of surprise (whoever thinks the three powers aren't spying on one another is mistaken and that's putting it mildly), it will also mean the Joan will try to get us involved in all her problems and will want us to save her two kingdoms. And we can't afford to waste time like that: we need to get Anbar'Shi/ The Sekheblade from Dio and get in contact with Shulgi. We need options.
    B.

'Sides, she's a self-righteous twat.

^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Ean can call Anbar'Shi easily enough. See the intermission where he briefly battles Athena.

Now the blade that Dio wields, we don't know for sure what that is. But it's likely not quite Anbar'Shi, but something similar. Might be Sekhenun in some shape, as some have guessed. Might not. And getting that thing, while it would be nice, probably won't be easy.

Info is a good thing before rushing in deeper.

^ Top  
  18. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
    I don't think that our element of surprise is ruined if we reveal our identity to Joan, if we can get her to speak with us in private we will be able to convince her to tel her guards that we are just a fake. All sorts of people have claimed to be Ean in the past few years after all.
    This way we can go to Skane in search for allies/Shulgi and have both a base to fall back on, should the need arise, and one less enemy to beat before we can truly retake our empire.

Besides, it would be sensible to guess Naram already knows of our return. If he can make immortals obey him trough their voices, he can also gain knowledge from them, and seeing as Athena flew of after we left our prison, it is likely that she is in Naram's sphere of influence again.

^ Top  
  19. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    I think we are past working for others and running fedex quests for them. I mean Ean is THE Emperor, others should make their plans around him not the other way around. Besides wouldnt it be fun to stir up trouble in Britain having most enemies converge there to fight it out then leave them fight each other and sneak to mainland. Find out where Madman is, recruit him and then go after Dio.

^ Top  
  20. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    D

I'm assuming this option does not mean attacking her though but merely letting her know who we really are

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :hmmm:
    We've been gone for three thousand years, people forgot what Ean looks like, his Empire is in civil war and none of those in power give two shits on a popsicle stick about him.

Besides, the way I read D is as follows: "Work for you? [​IMG]I'm TEH EMPRAH! Your ass and your cult belong to me now!" In other words, it's not subtle.
    And since we're the underdog in every respect, we need to be more subtle than ever.
    It's like that thing root was talking about.

Edit: some things bear repeating

^ Top  
  22. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave, to clarify, does D involve attacking Joan? It definitely implies violence, which I'd rather not resort to right off the bat:

To me, this implies a show of force, and I'd rather avoid fighting her because the political situation is really delicate. We need allies and connections, why the fuck do we want to attack someone just as things have begun? As for the political situation:

If the Martyrs of Ean are leaderless, then it's only a matter of time before Skane and the Empire carve the place up between one another. My initial theory here is that Dio doesn't want to attack Brittania-Gallia at the moment because it would leave the Empire open to an attack from Skane, so the Lady's presence is probably a good thing because it keeps things at a stalemate for now. I don't fancy becoming leader of this organization and I don't like using the Martyrs and the Yellowstreaks as a power base because they seem ineffectual, so I'd rather just learn as much as possible, then make our way towards either Skane or the Empire.

To defeat Naram, we're either going to have to ally ourselves with Shulgi or seek more answers about Naram's plans and the reasons behind recent events by going to the Empire.

As Baltika9 mentioned, we're weak right now, so laying low and finding more information seems like the best bet for the time being. For now, I'd like to maintain the status quo so that we can learn about the other powers involved in this conflict, as well as to find a way to increase our power without succumbing to any corruption - perhaps we can do this by having our Successors merge with us like Meyes did? I'd also like to learn why Dio hasn't decided to reunite the Empire.

Remember that in Chapter 5 we also were an underdog and we opted to lay low and gather our strength. Yes, we now have a hundred or so Successors with cannibalistic urges running around now, but I still think it's really dumb to attack Joan right out of the blue when it's much more prudent to lay low and investigate things in a more subtle manner.

I highly doubt we'll be able to just take command of the Martyrs, the Successors under her and the army of Brittania-Gallia after kicking Joan's ass - her soldiers are clearly very loyal to her and they love her. So yeah, don't be fucking idiots. It's highly naive to think that beating her up is going to make her obedient to us and everything will work out perfectly. We've come to her with subtlety, and I think we should continue working under the radar until we have enough information at our disposal to make good decisions.

Edit: Flopped my original post to D

And back to B

D... again

^ Top  
  23. B - Guys. Really. Do you know how many people have claimed to be Ean at this point in the game? We'd just seem like another pretender to her. I doubt she'd believe without us killing her or eating her or something and that sort of heavy-handed action is bound to bring Dio, Naram, and Shulgi's attention - which we do not need at this stage in the game. We need to stay low for now and build up some connections before we make our move.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No violence will be involved, though the act of proving you're the real thing might be slightly unpleasant.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.