Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, considering that Ean and Anbar'Shi are now one and the same, and Anbar'Shi can be used as a focal point to amplify powers, can Ean be used the same way by those who have powers, say Athena, Shulgi or perhaps the Gieloth (something tells me he is closer to a Gieloth now than to an Immortal or human)?
    Do Ean and his "children" have any special connection, such as being able to sense one another more acutely?

Also, now that Ean is four thousand years old and qualifies as an "old fart," will we start hearing him say "kids these days!" and "get off my lawn!"?

^ Top  
  2. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    Why do you bros think the Master possessing Naram is Zeus, as opposed to some rogue Master we haven't seen before? Him telling the Imperial Family that he was the one who granted Ean power seems like it'd have to be a lie, even if he was Zeus.

The main problem with this theory from my perspective is that Athena worked under Zeus for a long time. I can accept that whatever happened to Zeus changed him, but could it have changed him so much that she wouldn't be able to recognize him at all, over the 2250 years she's been under his control?

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Chapter 8.1: The More Things Change

The man you had absorbed was called Meyes. He used to be a cobbler in a Britannian village, before a mysterious masked man awakened his powers ten years ago. He had a family, a wife and two children, and now you had eaten him. There had been simmering tensions and clashes between the Empire, Skane, and the Britannia-Gallia alliance for most of the decade. You now know, from Meyes's memories, that each of the three powers was lead, whether in public or in secret, by your 'Successors'. This was what the people had taken to calling those who exhibited inexplicable powers - Ean's Successors. More and more of them had appeared about ten years back, emerging at at time where there were a host of pretenders claiming your name. The most powerful of these threw in their allegiance with each of the powers, and more and more of their brethren joined their ranks, as the powers these Successors wielded were a great boon to any nation.

Meyes had joined none of the three powers; his powers were not strong enough to be of immediate notice. Together with the other weaker Successors, he had formed a support group of sorts when war broke out soon after he gained his powers, keeping their neutrality and aiding refugees whenever they could. Soon, however, they had found that their group was not welcome - apparently the more powerful Successors felt threatened by their existence. Pressed to declare their allegiance, they were forced into hiding, hunted by all sides. The desperate Meyes had come to New Athens with only a few other comrades, seeking your aid. He thought that waking you up would be the only way to help them, and to stop the conflict ravaging the land.

That was not what you found the most troubling, however. Seven years ago, a great storm had swept the continent, its eye fixated above the wastelands of Olympus. When it ended, the weather, which had become ever colder, was no longer a problem. What replaced it was something far harder for humanity to adapt to: the realization of their dreams and nightmares, crystallized into living form. Fantastic creatures from myths and fairytales and legends crept out of the fog and mud left behind by the fog. Trolls began hiding under bridges, preying on unwary travellers. Sylphs could be seen darting through the air. Fairies were found inhabiting blossoming flowers. The plague of the walking dead that had begun and ended ten years ago was believed to be only an harbinger of such an event. It was as if two realities had been placed atop one another, the unreal seeping into the real.

Of course, you had always had experience with what normal people would call the unreal, and given what you already knew, you suspected this was all due to some dimensional shenanigans. Sekhenun would be of great help in figuring this out if she were here, but since she wasn't, you would just have to deal with it your way. You put the question of her death out of your mind - no point dwelling on that right now. If reports of her death were greatly exaggerated you would meet her again, of that you had no doubt. If it was true, the final stop of your current course would lead you to its cause anyway, and there would be some sort of reckoning, you were sure. Probably one with a lot of screaming involved.

"We're here. Father, is there something on your mind?"

You look up at the short raven-haired girl talking to you. Her name was Tenebrae, one of your Successors. She had been with Meyes when he reached New Athens, and had somehow become instantly attached to you.

"Look, this is the -"

"36th time," interjected a sandy-haired man with a smile. He called himself Dario. The man was a sharp thinker, and had been the one who had devised a way to lure Athena away long enough for Meyes to reach you.

"Thank you, Dario," you reply wryly. "Stop calling me Father. I look younger than you two, and it will attract too much attention, not to mention it feels wrong." You hadn't had time to be much of a father back then, having left before your only child even learnt to call your name.

"You've lived for far longer than we have, though. Looks aren't everything, father. All the memories I have of you taught me more than my real dad did. Or did you want me to call you daddy instead?"

"Just my name, please," you wince. Daddy was much worse.

Dario just laughed, and set down the gangplank. "You're a walking god. Once you meet the rest of the gang you'll be called much more names than this. I must say, you're not what I expected though."

"Did you expect someone with a great bushy beard?"

"Ha, yes. I expected someone a bit more imposing. There's also that matter about your presence... can't say I feel comfortable talking to someone that my mind says is not there, contrary to what my other senses are saying."

"I just woke up, cut me some slack," you grin. "As for the other matter..."

You concentrate, and project a presence. You had not forgotten how to do so, thankfully. Tenebrae's eyes went wide. "How did you do that?"

"I should be able to teach those with a talent in telepathy," you shrug and smile.

You had just reached a small port in the north of Britannia, on your way to meet the surviving members of Meyes's group. Athena had allowed you to leave without any further arguments, the Greek goddess somehow sprouting wings and flying off. It seems that in your long slumber, you had once again become the underdog in terms of power.

As you walk down the pier, talking to Tenebrae and Dario, you notice a group of sixteen heavily armoured soldiers walking towards you, bearing pikes, axes and crossbows. Their steps come to a pause - Tenebrae was exceptionally nervous. Metalwork had definitely advanced greatly since you left. Almost instinctively your eyes began poring over the joints and seams for any weak points you could exploit.

One of them holds up a board with paper tied to it, and glares at the three of you. "You two are Yellowstreaks are you not?" Dario smiles at the man warmly, stepping forward, and shakes his head at the euphemism thrown at Successors that did not pick a side. "We aren't Successors, but we would be honoured to be mistaken for one. We are just humble travellers fresh off the boat, looking for an inn where we could rest."

The soldier who had spoken stepped up and took a swing at Dario. His eyes narrowed - you sense a flash of deadliness from the man - but he did not step back or retaliate, instead taking the blow on his chin and sprawling to the floor. "Our Lady of the Martyrs has foretold your coming and requests your presence." growled the soldier. "There will be no lies where she is involved."

As you help Dario to his feet, he mutters to you quietly, "I have no desire to be brought before the Lady. She is one of us, except quite a bit more powerful. I don't think she will let us go freely if we come into her grasp."

You glance at the soldiers again. Tenebrae seemed on the verge of cracking and fleeing, and that would certainly draw an armed response from the soldiers.

A. You would have words with this Lady of the Martyrs. You convince Dario and Tenebrae to go along with you and meet the Lady. No matter what she plotted, you were sure you could keep them safe.

B. Sixteen armed men would not be a problem for you even with the unfamiliar heavy armour. You dispatch them quickly so that you are free to go. If the Lady of the Martyrs wanted a meeting, let her come.

C. You fight so that Dario and Tenebrae can flee, but give yourself up so that you would be brought before the Lady of the Martyrs. You will meet up with them again after you have ascertained the Lady's intentions.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    She may be stronger than these guys... on the other hand, though, we did manage to instantly eat a Successor (albeit a weaker one) without even bothering to wake up. With Anbar-Shi, we could easily annihilate not only these buffoons but almost certainly the Lady, to boot.

However.

We will need allies in the coming days, and though I'm not getting good vibes from this, it might be that we need her power and we really have no idea of what she's asking to meet us for. I'm teetering somewhere between A and C-- I can't decide which one is more likely to end well for our new friends, but I'd prefer to go with that option. Does anyone have a clear mind on the matter? I could probably be persuaded to switch if someone can come up with a convincing argument.

Tentatively, I'm going with A.

C. o/

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh really? Dragon Age? Have we really sunk so low? Really?
    :rpgcodex:

Or is it Project Eternity? In which case:
    [​IMG]

Fighting is out of the question, too much of a scene plus these two involved. Not to mention news of one bloke taking out sixteen Brittanian Guardsmen would fuck us over.

Involving the small bros could be bad, yes, but I believe that if they were found out, so was their little group. We also must have much, much bigger backup than a group of low-level Successors.
    So I suppose that our best choice right now is:
    A. B. C.
    Besides, it's Joan of Arc and James Bond. We also know that Aodh isn't an amoral twat like Dio, though that might have changed.

Edit:
    :hmmm:
    What next? Fucking dwaggons? Somebody get DraQ.

^ Top  
  6. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Bhaalspawn, I say.

Well, I have no idea what's going on anymore. The heavy armour bit is intended to make us think twice about B, but I can't imagine Ean having a problem with sixteen armoured normals, or we truly have fallen far. I think it's more a choice of whether we want to antagonize this Lady, but I can't think giving ourselves up is a good idea at all? Surely if we keep independent for long enough we can find people who are more sympathetic to Ean. B for now.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    On the other hand, getting bogged down in Gallo-Britannian politics is redundant, useless and a waste of time. We need intel and we need it now, which means Dagrun and Fenrir/Shulgi. In other words, Skane.

Flopping to B.
    treave, I'm assuming it means we take them out without blood?

Edit:
    :love:

^ Top  
  8. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Or Highlander, and there can be only one
    Going with C , not sure our two companions can survive the fight unlike us and besides I dont think its a god idea for them to meet the Lady.
    By the way with the unreal becoming real, whats the chance that the sidhe and court of Titania is involved, if that holds true, things will get bit complicated.

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Wasn't going to have dragons, but I suppose if there's demand for it, why not? I can work in a murder of dragons.

^ Top  
  10. C - A would just result in them fleeing and getting killed anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Chapter Eight: The Divine Throne

The Shin'Ar Empire, long the wellspring of peace and prosperity, is shattered. On it's throne sits a coward and deceiver, a mere puppet for a much more dangerous and ambitious man, who holds the cursed prison-blade of a maddened mind, one that may very well have the most important answers

In the north, a child grasps for the Imperial Crown, his claim coming from the most ancient of lines, his plans advised by the most ancient of powers and his armies utilizing a technology never before seen. Beyond lie their distant cousins, longing to reunite their own once-glorious Empire, circling the Boy-Emperor as a pack of unseen vultures, harmless while he is strong, but one slip could prove fatal.

Farther to the West, two kings dared raise their banners in defiance of Imperial authority, upheld by their Holy Matron and guarded by her Shadow, ever loyal. And perhaps the Holy one hides a deeper secret still?

In the East, a jealous scion of a humiliated dynasty yanks at his chains, thinking if this is the moment to correct slights past and retain lost glory? And farther still lie his masters, patiently observing the brewing storm through hidden eyes and cautiously readying their bullets.

From the dark shadows and secret places of this world strange new creatures come, for the first time, into the light of this Sun, watching and biding their time to find a home.

In the desolate wastes of a once prospering land, now long dead, in the citadel built at the heart of catastrophe, on the blood and bones of countless men, sits an inhuman, maddened aberration, it's very nature shunned by it's kin, as it tinkers and toils for it's own, private, goals, gazing into the space between realities, driven by reckoning.

On a remote, forgotten island, far removed from the troubles if this world, a Legend of ages past is roused by it's "children," whose innocence is fast coming to an end, and is once more called to raise it's sword and right the wrongs of it's world, to save those it considers it's brethren, although it very well may not be human anymore.

And in the background, unseen, unheard and unknown, the most powerful of beings are making way to this unsuspecting realm, carrying two different fates: slavery or annihilation.

This is the Third Millennium AC and a new era is dawning on Terra and Mankind. Through the coming age of strife they shall either find strength to face the darkest secrets of their universe and, perhaps, win their independence from the unseen Masters, or forever be damned to live a life of survival on a barren, forgotten planet.

Their fate is in our hands, bros. Don't let good scotch and thirty minutes go to waste: let's not fuck this up. As much as I love bitching, butthurt and trainwrecks, there is always a way.

Edit:
    Only if there will be a DraQ, a Todd and a Pete. The last two being our most dire of antagonists, of course.

^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    No. God, please, no... :what:

^ Top  
  13. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Well think about it we are in Britannia, who knows maybe we can reencat the King Arthur 2 campagin.
    As to the lady, my first thought was Lady British.[​IMG]

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You may be onto something here.

By the way:
    [​IMG]
    :decline:

^ Top  
  15. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I think that the reason that the unreal is becoming real is that the barrier between our world and the Master's dimension is beginning to fade. treave, before these soldiers interrupted us, where were we heading to with Dario? I'm assuming some kind of hideout.

I believe that this Lady might know exactly who we are already:

So she knows that our new bros are independents, and she knew exactly where they'd be. This tells me that the Lady probably knows precisely who we are as well. I want to parley with her, but I also don't want to give her hostages to use as bargaining chips. If she doesn't know who we are, even better - fake a human presence then take her out when the opportunity presents itself.

I think that the Yellowstreaks (that's a pretty damn pejorative nickname for our bros, btw) who went to New Athens were followed by her people, which is why her soldiers were able to anticipate our arrival here. The question remains as to whether she knows that we're Ean or not. I am leaning towards her not knowing exactly what's going on, otherwise she wouldn't have tried to apprehend us to figure out our motives. And I don't think she would have sent a mere sixteen soldiers if she knew we were the real Ean.

I think that A is the worst choice. For one, it'll almost certainly lead to her fleeing:

She's already scared, and if we pick A, I'm certain that she's going to run away and get picked off by the guards. Worse yet, if the Lady is a powerful telepath she'll be able to figure out exactly what's going on quickly once Dario is taken prisoner with us. If we are the only one with her, we can use our ability to project a human presence to get her to put her guard down.

Voting C willing to flop to B.

^ Top  
  16. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Voting C
    Esquilax again produces some compelling arguments. :bro:

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, you guys landed in Donegal, Ireland, and were going to take a carriage to Dublin. Ean knows where to go, thanks to Meyes's memories, so finding them again won't be a problem either... as long as they make it to the meeting point safely.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Flipping to C because of solidarity with Esquilax, since our reasons cross, and also because I foresee massive lulz when Big Papa Ean gives Aodh and Joan a spanking. Kids these days.

treave, are the major cities still historically accurate (Paris, London, Toledo, Copenhagen, etc)?

^ Top  
  20. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Copenhagen a major city? :roll:
    Well, yes, it has been around since about year 900, at least according to the latest research, and was probably an important trade center. But I don't think it ever qualified as major, not even now. And I live here.

That aside, it's an interesting question. :hmmm:

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, I'm just using placeholder names while I figure out what to call them, but there are differences in city and population distribution compared to the real world.

^ Top  
  22. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    C

Hopefully our little bros can make it back safely without us. Let's project human presence and gather some intel.

^ Top  
  23. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    C here.

^ Top  
  24. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  25. m4davis Scholar

m4davis

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.