Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
The Empire held together just fine for centuries after you left, but sometime around 750 A.C., Sekhenun had succeeded in opening the portal she had been working on. Athena had not been there when it happened, but she knew the aftermath. A Master had come through. It had apparently slaughtered all that were present and possessed an immortal known as Naram, who had engineered his own presence at the opening. Whether he had a hand in allowing the Master through, Athena did not know. Upon its arrival, the Master had imposed its will upon the voices of all the immortals he could reach. Athena's voices had awoken again, for a short while, before becoming a robotic call of command. In that brief period, they had warned her that this being was an outcast of some sorts, an entity that had become different from the Masters they knew.
'Sup, Zeus?

Shame about Sek, though. It was a real friend to us, pretty much the only friend Ean ever had.

Fuck.:( And there is no time manipulation in this setting, right?

Baltika9

Arcane
This is why we should have kept her head in the jar. :rpgcodex:
In before MASSIVE Sekhelulz troll.
Edit: nah, she/it's most likely dead. At least we have it's sister trapped in Dio's Anbar'Shi, and boy is she ever naughty.
Edit 2: Oh, how could I forget, we'll finally get to dual-wieldan Anbar'Shi. Niiiice.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
...sometime around 750 A.C., Sekhenun had succeeded in opening the portal she had been working on. Athena had not been there when it happened, but she knew the aftermath. A Master had come through. It had apparently slaughtered all that were present...

Sekhenun might be dead, but she might also be kept around for the simple fact that she succeeded in opening this portal. Imagine the Master wanting to return at some point, it probably pays to have a scientist around that can open such a portal.

Though, in most likelyhood, the Master has the knowledge needed, and wouldn't see any reason to keep a live Gieloth around, and yes, then Sekh is very much dead. :troll:

Still, I really dig this interlude info dump. Now I'm curious as to which spawn Ean's already consumed and who the other two are..

Baltika9

Arcane
Who knows, they might have turned her into a weapon of some sort. :troll:
:bravo:
Edit:Of course, if she really is Dio's sword, then she's really pissed at Ean. That, or she was playing "nice" with him because of her promise.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Or maybe she wanted to get to Ean as she saw her as her one possibility of regaining normal form. Masking it as a want to consume him could be a ploy. Is there any other creature on this ball of mud likely to want to help her? :troll:

Baltika9

Arcane
Or...
:mhd:
"Why did you leave me Ean? Can't you see that I love youuuuu? I shall consume your body and we will be together, foreverrrr..."

TOME

Cuckmaster General
So a master possessing the most powerful immortal. And how do you suppose Dio would fare against him when Shulgi didn't have a chance?

Esquilax

Arcane
Lambchop19, keeping Sek's head in a jar would have been even more problematic. Ean and Sek had a very good working relationship and she was really forthcoming with a lot of knowledge, somehow I doubt we would be able to work together so well if we kept her contained.

As for Zeus (and it almost certainly is Zeus), I have a theory. His motivation here is revenge, not against Ean, but against his fellow Masters:

"He did not make it back."

"He panicked. He tried to get back with only two parts of the key. Of course it was going to tear a hole in the fabric of reality! It was a mistake to assign him that job."

"We tried to cut off his way back, of course he would panic!"

"We couldn't risk having that thing coming back with him. He was on his own the moment he screwed up."

"Well, what's done is done. No punishment we can think up will be as bad as his fate now."

They hung him out to dry and now he's very, very pissed off. He and Marduk were at the center of a tear in the fabric of reality, so I wouldn't be surprised if he developed Gieloth traits due to all of this occurring in the middle of being devoured by Marduk. I am also curious as to whether Zeus still possesses his pieces of Vajra or not - getting to them would be a huge boon for Ean once the barriers between both our worlds are gone.

The question remains as to why Zeus, upon possessing Naram, decided to keep Ean alive. I believe that his long-term plans for Ean were perhaps to insert another batch of voices in him, or perhaps even possess him in the future. I think he wanted to have another powerful immortal to serve as his thrall, but given Ean's unique condition, he had to put our boy on ice while a more permanent method of enslavement could be found. We've heard the Master in the Chapter 7 Interlude alluding toward the possibility of putting the voices in us:

"You are unique, but that also means that your interactions wherever we put you should be unique and enlightening. Some advocated putting a new set of voices inside you, but I personally think it's a waste of time. You'd probably just eat them,"

As for who our meal was prior to waking up, I'm putting my money on Ban. After Dio returned to Ankida a hero, Aodh and the madman teamed up and made a pilgrimage towards New Athens after recovering Ban's camatose body.

I think that our best bet in the short-term will be to bro up with Shulgi. Also, we have to be willing to make some sacrifices - there are going to be a hundred or so super-powered cannibals roaming about, so we have to be willing to let some chaos occur so long as we can eventually get to Zeus and save Earth from an apocalypse in the end.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
As for who our meal was prior to waking up, I'm putting my money on Ban. After Dio returned to Ankida a hero, Aodh and the madman teamed up and made a pilgrimage towards New Athens after recovering Ban's camatose body.

I don't think the third one is madman. I just don't see the madman working with others. And besides, if one of them were madman, he would have been the one to touch Ean. I think the trio was Ban, Aodh and Joan. Aodh spent a lot of time with martyrs of Ean so he probably formed close ties with her.

I think that our best bet in the short-term will be to bro up with Shulgi and keep as low a profile as possible.

Assuming Shulgi is still alive and we can somehow find him. If get him to help us, it will be like with the terasphagos, him sending gifts while staying hidden all along.

Baltika9

Arcane
Assuming Shulgi is still alive and we can somehow find him. If get him to help us, it will be like with the terasphagos, him sending gifts while staying hidden all along.
No, I don't believe that would be the case now. If Shulgi is alive and is Fenrir, then I am pretty sure he'll be willing to work with us directly. He knows Big Z's power, he knows he's a danger to the world and he knows that he can do nothing against him. He would also know that, together with Ean and perhaps Dio they just might stand a chance.

Of course, this being Shulgi, and assuming he didn't level his BRO stat, we can only trust him as far as we can throw him(which is, admittedly, rather far) and should expect a betrayal as soon as we are finished with Zee, but other than that, I'm sure he'll be a rather enthusiastic partner.

The problem, of course, will be finding him: Dagrun and Inge may not be alive still and it wouldn't really surprise me, considering Dio now has the powers of a God at his disposal and was the ballsiest motherfucker on the planet until this update.

Also,
What happened next was a bevy of experiments you were subjected to, under Naram's purview, though he grew bored after a few decades and soon had you put aside in favour of other pursuits.
it wouldn't surprise me if he developed some weapon against Ean and knew now all his weaknesses. We should be careful.

n your unconscious state, your hunger devoured him at the moment he touched you. You know his name and his memories; his loves and losses. He was now part of you, as part of you was once him.
Does this mean we finally got the Omophageic implant?:bounce:

P.S.: I can just imagine Ean's reactions when he wakes up. It must be a mix of "How do I keep getting myself into this shit." and "Oh come on, I was only gone for three hundred one hundred three thousand years! How can you fuck this up!?" and "I shoulda killed those two morons back at the crater."

Edit: really, all our problems stem from those two. Shulgi screwed up Akkad, Naram screwed up Shulgi and hence allowed Marduk to rise; I'm almost certain Naram was responsible for summoning Zeus into this world, given his appearance in Egypt; And if it weren't for him, I'm pretty sure Sek's experiment would have gone just fine and dandy and all those MHD freeloaders would get the hell of our planet. There is no reason for Naram to exist.

Baltika9

Arcane
About that, I don't think devouring him or Zeus is that bright an idea, not until we know and understand what exactly they've become. We know that the devoured become part of the devourer. We also know this, from chapter three:
C would break the Honourblade but you do not go into a coma. You remain aware but immobile. Marduk takes your body and uses it for nasty things, but unknown to him you husband your strength and wait for the right time to consume him. Bad things happen to Egypt here but you get a great power boost if you succeed in eating Marduk.
By "taking our body" I assume that means Marduk live inside us? And consuming means we devour his consciousness and absorb it?
Yes, he'll wear your body, and then you can eat him, absorb him, tendrils and all. He'd have never seen it coming, unless you decided to reveal your presence to stop him from killing a friend...
Apparently, if the eaten target has a strong enough will/presence, it will be able to retain it's personality and perhaps take over. And Naram is possessed by Big Zee, so that doesn't sound too bright an idea to me.
Becoming Runikylos's ally meant that you learnt plenty about the Imperial family's history. How they had begun serving a higher power a thousand years ago, who called itself Naram and claimed to be the god that had granted the First Emperor his divinity.
And he was the guy in charge of Project Terra, so this is an even greater hint.

And, I don't want Ean to get infected with Naram's Master-worshiping.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, considering that Ean and Anbar'Shi are now one and the same, and Anbar'Shi can be used as a focal point to amplify powers, can Ean be used the same way by those who have powers, say Athena, Shulgi or perhaps the Gieloth (something tells me he is closer to a Gieloth now than to an Immortal or human)?
Do Ean and his "children" have any special connection, such as being able to sense one another more acutely?

Also, now that Ean is four thousand years old and qualifies as an "old fart," will we start hearing him say "kids these days!" and "get off my lawn!"?

Kayerts

Arcane
Why do you bros think the Master possessing Naram is Zeus, as opposed to some rogue Master we haven't seen before? Him telling the Imperial Family that he was the one who granted Ean power seems like it'd have to be a lie, even if he was Zeus.

The main problem with this theory from my perspective is that Athena worked under Zeus for a long time. I can accept that whatever happened to Zeus changed him, but could it have changed him so much that she wouldn't be able to recognize him at all, over the 2250 years she's been under his control?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 8.1: The More Things Change

The man you had absorbed was called Meyes. He used to be a cobbler in a Britannian village, before a mysterious masked man awakened his powers ten years ago. He had a family, a wife and two children, and now you had eaten him. There had been simmering tensions and clashes between the Empire, Skane, and the Britannia-Gallia alliance for most of the decade. You now know, from Meyes's memories, that each of the three powers was lead, whether in public or in secret, by your 'Successors'. This was what the people had taken to calling those who exhibited inexplicable powers - Ean's Successors. More and more of them had appeared about ten years back, emerging at at time where there were a host of pretenders claiming your name. The most powerful of these threw in their allegiance with each of the powers, and more and more of their brethren joined their ranks, as the powers these Successors wielded were a great boon to any nation.

Meyes had joined none of the three powers; his powers were not strong enough to be of immediate notice. Together with the other weaker Successors, he had formed a support group of sorts when war broke out soon after he gained his powers, keeping their neutrality and aiding refugees whenever they could. Soon, however, they had found that their group was not welcome - apparently the more powerful Successors felt threatened by their existence. Pressed to declare their allegiance, they were forced into hiding, hunted by all sides. The desperate Meyes had come to New Athens with only a few other comrades, seeking your aid. He thought that waking you up would be the only way to help them, and to stop the conflict ravaging the land.

That was not what you found the most troubling, however. Seven years ago, a great storm had swept the continent, its eye fixated above the wastelands of Olympus. When it ended, the weather, which had become ever colder, was no longer a problem. What replaced it was something far harder for humanity to adapt to: the realization of their dreams and nightmares, crystallized into living form. Fantastic creatures from myths and fairytales and legends crept out of the fog and mud left behind by the fog. Trolls began hiding under bridges, preying on unwary travellers. Sylphs could be seen darting through the air. Fairies were found inhabiting blossoming flowers. The plague of the walking dead that had begun and ended ten years ago was believed to be only an harbinger of such an event. It was as if two realities had been placed atop one another, the unreal seeping into the real.

Of course, you had always had experience with what normal people would call the unreal, and given what you already knew, you suspected this was all due to some dimensional shenanigans. Sekhenun would be of great help in figuring this out if she were here, but since she wasn't, you would just have to deal with it your way. You put the question of her death out of your mind - no point dwelling on that right now. If reports of her death were greatly exaggerated you would meet her again, of that you had no doubt. If it was true, the final stop of your current course would lead you to its cause anyway, and there would be some sort of reckoning, you were sure. Probably one with a lot of screaming involved.

"We're here. Father, is there something on your mind?"

You look up at the short raven-haired girl talking to you. Her name was Tenebrae, one of your Successors. She had been with Meyes when he reached New Athens, and had somehow become instantly attached to you.

"Look, this is the -"

"36th time," interjected a sandy-haired man with a smile. He called himself Dario. The man was a sharp thinker, and had been the one who had devised a way to lure Athena away long enough for Meyes to reach you.

"Thank you, Dario," you reply wryly. "Stop calling me Father. I look younger than you two, and it will attract too much attention, not to mention it feels wrong." You hadn't had time to be much of a father back then, having left before your only child even learnt to call your name.

"You've lived for far longer than we have, though. Looks aren't everything, father. All the memories I have of you taught me more than my real dad did. Or did you want me to call you daddy instead?"

"Just my name, please," you wince. Daddy was much worse.

Dario just laughed, and set down the gangplank. "You're a walking god. Once you meet the rest of the gang you'll be called much more names than this. I must say, you're not what I expected though."

"Did you expect someone with a great bushy beard?"

"Ha, yes. I expected someone a bit more imposing. There's also that matter about your presence... can't say I feel comfortable talking to someone that my mind says is not there, contrary to what my other senses are saying."

"I just woke up, cut me some slack," you grin. "As for the other matter..."

You concentrate, and project a presence. You had not forgotten how to do so, thankfully. Tenebrae's eyes went wide. "How did you do that?"

"I should be able to teach those with a talent in telepathy," you shrug and smile.

You had just reached a small port in the north of Britannia, on your way to meet the surviving members of Meyes's group. Athena had allowed you to leave without any further arguments, the Greek goddess somehow sprouting wings and flying off. It seems that in your long slumber, you had once again become the underdog in terms of power.

As you walk down the pier, talking to Tenebrae and Dario, you notice a group of sixteen heavily armoured soldiers walking towards you, bearing pikes, axes and crossbows. Their steps come to a pause - Tenebrae was exceptionally nervous. Metalwork had definitely advanced greatly since you left. Almost instinctively your eyes began poring over the joints and seams for any weak points you could exploit.

One of them holds up a board with paper tied to it, and glares at the three of you. "You two are Yellowstreaks are you not?" Dario smiles at the man warmly, stepping forward, and shakes his head at the euphemism thrown at Successors that did not pick a side. "We aren't Successors, but we would be honoured to be mistaken for one. We are just humble travellers fresh off the boat, looking for an inn where we could rest."

The soldier who had spoken stepped up and took a swing at Dario. His eyes narrowed - you sense a flash of deadliness from the man - but he did not step back or retaliate, instead taking the blow on his chin and sprawling to the floor. "Our Lady of the Martyrs has foretold your coming and requests your presence." growled the soldier. "There will be no lies where she is involved."

As you help Dario to his feet, he mutters to you quietly, "I have no desire to be brought before the Lady. She is one of us, except quite a bit more powerful. I don't think she will let us go freely if we come into her grasp."

You glance at the soldiers again. Tenebrae seemed on the verge of cracking and fleeing, and that would certainly draw an armed response from the soldiers.

A. You would have words with this Lady of the Martyrs. You convince Dario and Tenebrae to go along with you and meet the Lady. No matter what she plotted, you were sure you could keep them safe.

B. Sixteen armed men would not be a problem for you even with the unfamiliar heavy armour. You dispatch them quickly so that you are free to go. If the Lady of the Martyrs wanted a meeting, let her come.

C. You fight so that Dario and Tenebrae can flee, but give yourself up so that you would be brought before the Lady of the Martyrs. You will meet up with them again after you have ascertained the Lady's intentions.

Kipeci

Arcane
She may be stronger than these guys... on the other hand, though, we did manage to instantly eat a Successor (albeit a weaker one) without even bothering to wake up. With Anbar-Shi, we could easily annihilate not only these buffoons but almost certainly the Lady, to boot.

However.

We will need allies in the coming days, and though I'm not getting good vibes from this, it might be that we need her power and we really have no idea of what she's asking to meet us for. I'm teetering somewhere between A and C-- I can't decide which one is more likely to end well for our new friends, but I'd prefer to go with that option. Does anyone have a clear mind on the matter? I could probably be persuaded to switch if someone can come up with a convincing argument.

Tentatively, I'm going with A.

C. o/

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh really? Dragon Age? Have we really sunk so low? Really?
:rpgcodex:

Or is it Project Eternity? In which case:
images

Fighting is out of the question, too much of a scene plus these two involved. Not to mention news of one bloke taking out sixteen Brittanian Guardsmen would fuck us over.

Involving the small bros could be bad, yes, but I believe that if they were found out, so was their little group. We also must have much, much bigger backup than a group of low-level Successors.
So I suppose that our best choice right now is:
A. B. C.
Besides, it's Joan of Arc and James Bond. We also know that Aodh isn't an amoral twat like Dio, though that might have changed.

Edit:
the Greek goddess somehow sprouting wings and flying off.
:hmmm:
What next? Fucking dwaggons? Somebody get DraQ.

Tigranes

Arcane
Bhaalspawn, I say.

Well, I have no idea what's going on anymore. The heavy armour bit is intended to make us think twice about B, but I can't imagine Ean having a problem with sixteen armoured normals, or we truly have fallen far. I think it's more a choice of whether we want to antagonize this Lady, but I can't think giving ourselves up is a good idea at all? Surely if we keep independent for long enough we can find people who are more sympathetic to Ean. B for now.

Baltika9

Arcane
On the other hand, getting bogged down in Gallo-Britannian politics is redundant, useless and a waste of time. We need intel and we need it now, which means Dagrun and Fenrir/Shulgi. In other words, Skane.

Flopping to B.
treave, I'm assuming it means we take them out without blood?

Edit:
Chapter Eight: The Divine Throne
:love:

GreyViper

Prophet
Or Highlander, and there can be only one
Going with C , not sure our two companions can survive the fight unlike us and besides I dont think its a god idea for them to meet the Lady.
By the way with the unreal becoming real, whats the chance that the sidhe and court of Titania is involved, if that holds true, things will get bit complicated.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wasn't going to have dragons, but I suppose if there's demand for it, why not? I can work in a murder of dragons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom