Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Storyfag, just curious, why do you want to attack her?

Who said anything about attacking her? It'll likely devolve into that as she desparately attempts to cling to her influence, yes, but I don't intend Ean to be the attacker here.

What do you hope to get out of it?

Obedience. Information. Progress.

I want to get as much info as possible and then ditch these losers. Just as you do. I simply believe D is the fastest route to that goal.

Tigranes

Arcane
If D succeeds, the most likely outcome is that we declare our Eanhood and we swallow the Lady's powerbase, immediately making us one of the three players. THe problem is, we do so by absorbing possibly the weakest and most remote of the three powers, and then we will simply have Dio and Shulgi on our arse. B for now while I think it through.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
If D succeeds, the most likely outcome is that we declare our Eanhood and we swallow the Lady's powerbase, immediately making us one of the three players.

Why? D simply means we declare our Eanhood to the Lady herself, not worldwide. Plus it's not like we can't shapeshift AND conceal our power and nature. We can and will come and go as we please, until we learn enough to act.

GreyViper

Prophet
Sure she will let him go, but she wanted the others. So she probably has means how to track us now.
The thing with major players knowing Ean is around, might be just matter of time until Athena spreads the news.
I really want to know what D choice opens up, yet B has some merit. Yet I think D is the way to go, because if they cant manage without a bunch of pacifists they deserve to be replaced.
Unless they have hidden allies in the shadows.:smug:

D for Dominance :cool:

Baltika9

Arcane
This guy told us that the Lady would likely not let us go, while in reality she's been quite civil to us. The glimmer of satisfaction is also curious. It's important to remember that Dario is quite intelligent and a very savvy talker - after all, this is the guy that fooled Athena, so there's no reason why he can't do the same to us. I think Dario might be a little fed up with the fact that he's hanging out with a bunch of pussies.
Or he's a double-agent. Remember, Aodh threw in his lot with Joan and it is very plausible that she sent him to stake out the Yellowstreaks and get them to join us, maybe Tenebrae was the target(seriously, that name, why?), and when he found out about Project Lazarus, he thought to deliver Ean to Joan.

The fact that Ean basically went by himself could have made him smug because he killed two birds with one stone: Got Big E to his "mistress" and could continue staking out the Yellowstreaks.

As for the vote: don't vote D. It not only ruins our element of surprise (whoever thinks the three powers aren't spying on one another is mistaken and that's putting it mildly), it will also mean the Joan will try to get us involved in all her problems and will want us to save her two kingdoms. And we can't afford to waste time like that: we need to get Anbar'Shi/ The Sekheblade from Dio and get in contact with Shulgi. We need options.
B.

She possessed the calm of a person that knew that what they had to do in life was right.
'Sides, she's a self-righteous twat.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ean can call Anbar'Shi easily enough. See the intermission where he briefly battles Athena.

Now the blade that Dio wields, we don't know for sure what that is. But it's likely not quite Anbar'Shi, but something similar. Might be Sekhenun in some shape, as some have guessed. Might not. And getting that thing, while it would be nice, probably won't be easy.

Info is a good thing before rushing in deeper.

Omicron

Scholar
As for the vote: don't vote D. It not only ruins our element of surprise (whoever thinks the three powers aren't spying on one another is mistaken and that's putting it mildly), it will also mean the Joan will try to get us involved in all her problems and will want us to save her two kingdoms. And we can't afford to waste time like that: we need to get Anbar'Shi/ The Sekheblade from Dio and get in contact with Shulgi. We need options.
B.
I don't think that our element of surprise is ruined if we reveal our identity to Joan, if we can get her to speak with us in private we will be able to convince her to tel her guards that we are just a fake. All sorts of people have claimed to be Ean in the past few years after all.
This way we can go to Skane in search for allies/Shulgi and have both a base to fall back on, should the need arise, and one less enemy to beat before we can truly retake our empire.

Besides, it would be sensible to guess Naram already knows of our return. If he can make immortals obey him trough their voices, he can also gain knowledge from them, and seeing as Athena flew of after we left our prison, it is likely that she is in Naram's sphere of influence again.

GreyViper

Prophet
I think we are past working for others and running fedex quests for them. I mean Ean is THE Emperor, others should make their plans around him not the other way around. Besides wouldnt it be fun to stir up trouble in Britain having most enemies converge there to fight it out then leave them fight each other and sneak to mainland. Find out where Madman is, recruit him and then go after Dio.

oscar

Arcane
D

I'm assuming this option does not mean attacking her though but merely letting her know who we really are

Baltika9

Arcane
I think we are past working for others and running fedex quests for them. I mean Ean is THE Emperor, others should make their plans around him not the other way around.
:hmmm:
We've been gone for three thousand years, people forgot what Ean looks like, his Empire is in civil war and none of those in power give two shits on a popsicle stick about him.

Besides, the way I read D is as follows: "Work for you?
images
I'm TEH EMPRAH! Your ass and your cult belong to me now!" In other words, it's not subtle.
And since we're the underdog in every respect, we need to be more subtle than ever.
It's like that thing root was talking about.

Edit: some things bear repeating
She possessed the calm of a person that knew that what they had to do in life was right.
'Sides, she's a self-righteous twat.

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, to clarify, does D involve attacking Joan? It definitely implies violence, which I'd rather not resort to right off the bat:

Fuck all this sneaking around. You reveal yourself to the Lady of the Martyrs and let her taste your divinity.

To me, this implies a show of force, and I'd rather avoid fighting her because the political situation is really delicate. We need allies and connections, why the fuck do we want to attack someone just as things have begun? As for the political situation:

“They have power… some power, but power still… yet they refuse to use it to fight for good. Instead they stay hidden and lend their aid in insignificant ways. If they joined us, it could tip the balance in our favour.”

You run through Meyes’s memories, checking her words. It seems that the Empire had held the advantage throughout the conflict, but they had never pressed it. You weren’t sure whether the situation was balanced enough to be tipped in her favour, but you let it pass.

If the Martyrs of Ean are leaderless, then it's only a matter of time before Skane and the Empire carve the place up between one another. My initial theory here is that Dio doesn't want to attack Brittania-Gallia at the moment because it would leave the Empire open to an attack from Skane, so the Lady's presence is probably a good thing because it keeps things at a stalemate for now. I don't fancy becoming leader of this organization and I don't like using the Martyrs and the Yellowstreaks as a power base because they seem ineffectual, so I'd rather just learn as much as possible, then make our way towards either Skane or the Empire.

To defeat Naram, we're either going to have to ally ourselves with Shulgi or seek more answers about Naram's plans and the reasons behind recent events by going to the Empire.

As Baltika9 mentioned, we're weak right now, so laying low and finding more information seems like the best bet for the time being. For now, I'd like to maintain the status quo so that we can learn about the other powers involved in this conflict, as well as to find a way to increase our power without succumbing to any corruption - perhaps we can do this by having our Successors merge with us like Meyes did? I'd also like to learn why Dio hasn't decided to reunite the Empire.

Remember that in Chapter 5 we also were an underdog and we opted to lay low and gather our strength. Yes, we now have a hundred or so Successors with cannibalistic urges running around now, but I still think it's really dumb to attack Joan right out of the blue when it's much more prudent to lay low and investigate things in a more subtle manner.

I highly doubt we'll be able to just take command of the Martyrs, the Successors under her and the army of Brittania-Gallia after kicking Joan's ass - her soldiers are clearly very loyal to her and they love her. So yeah, don't be fucking idiots. It's highly naive to think that beating her up is going to make her obedient to us and everything will work out perfectly. We've come to her with subtlety, and I think we should continue working under the radar until we have enough information at our disposal to make good decisions.

Edit: Flopped my original post to D

And back to B

D... again

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B - Guys. Really. Do you know how many people have claimed to be Ean at this point in the game? We'd just seem like another pretender to her. I doubt she'd believe without us killing her or eating her or something and that sort of heavy-handed action is bound to bring Dio, Naram, and Shulgi's attention - which we do not need at this stage in the game. We need to stay low for now and build up some connections before we make our move.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No violence will be involved, though the act of proving you're the real thing might be slightly unpleasant.

Kipeci

Arcane
B, for the reasons that Esquilax, Lambchop19, and others have articulated. We don't want to bind ourselves in with this mess too deeply by taking option A, taking option C just makes enemies when we really don't need to be racking up yet more of them, and option D seems a bit... foolish. We simply don't need to break down a can of divine whoop-ass on this lady for the same reasoning in option C, and it would draw down attention from some dangerous folks if we did.

Edit:
No violence will be involved, though the act of proving you're the real thing might be slightly unpleasant.

For which party?

Esquilax

Arcane
I think Lambchop19 is on the right track. D would probably involve cutting off part of ourselves and feeding it to the Lady to prove that we really are the First Emperor. She would literally "taste our divinity" so to speak. Might be a great way to gain support and knowledge before we move on. After all, Dagrun and Dio are both Successors as well, so it's only a matter of time until they start feeling the hunger as well. Might be better to work quickly and gain the allegiance of the Successors in Brittania-Gallia before moving on, perhaps?

D might be smarter than I first gave it credit for. Will think about it a bit more.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The hunger is already there, but building slowly. Feeling peckish even after having eaten, that sort of thing.

Baltika9

Arcane
I think Lambchop19 is on the right track. D would probably involve cutting off part of ourselves and feeding it to the Lady to prove that we really are the First Emperor. She would literally "taste our divinity" so to speak. Might be a great way to gain support and knowledge before we move on. After all, Dagrun and Dio are both Successors as well, so it's only a matter of time until they start feeling the hunger as well. Might be better to work quickly and gain the allegiance of the Successors in Brittania-Gallia before moving on, perhaps?

D might be smarter than I first gave it credit for. Will think about it a bit more.
We may do that, yes. And we may also, by this act, antagonize Joan. Think about it: she's been building this cult, nurturing it and now Ean crawls out of the woodwork and hijacks it. And also
Whatever that "slightly unpleasant" act is, we can't afford it right now.

If we cut of another arm, we've wasted time and opportunities. Not to add that declaring our presence to her will guarantee that someone else will find out.

My initial theory here is that Dio doesn't want to attack Brittania-Gallia at the moment because it would leave the Empire open to an attack from Skane, so the Lady's presence is probably a good thing because it keeps things at a stalemate for now.
Well, to be fair, if Dio isn't striking, then he is simply moving the pieces where he wants them to be. Which is why we should be taking him down ASAP: we created a monster. Same drive as Ean, almost same power as Ean, same tenacity as Ean but his morality is the complete opposite of Ean's. What's worse, the more time we give him to build power, the stronger he will become.
Edit: we also gave him an extremely powerful personality cult, so time also gives him more "allies."

Baltika9

Arcane
I just remembered this:
I must say this, though, there are consequences to waking Ean up, which the Imperial family and its allies, and by extension Dio now, are aware of. Basically his awakening will also awaken the hunger instinct in all of his spawn. There are a few other side effects which are not yet known to them though.
We can't afford to waste time and power on Joan. Dio will soon notice his own hunger and put two and two together, so if we want to have a good shot at taking him out, we'd better do it right now.

Esquilax

Arcane
That's pretty much why I flopped to D. If Dio and the royal family are aware that Ean has woken up (and Dio's hunger is an indication that Ean has risen from his slumber) then we pretty much have no anonymity anyways. Based on that, the prudent thing is to then show our true identity to Joan so that we have a power base to work with so that we can quickly get down to business.

Baltika9

Arcane
Then that is where we disagree.
The hunger is already there, but building slowly. Feeling peckish even after having eaten, that sort of thing.
Right now, the symptoms are not exactly noticeable and that still gives us some time. I consider it worth the risk to push now and take out Dio quickly(since he's the second-most, if no the, most dangerous antagonist here), before he has time to understand what's going on and fully prepare for a confrontation with Ean (if that is really the Sekblade, we'll be right fucked if we give him time. She/it knows pretty much all there is to know about Ean: his character, strengths, weaknesses and the specifics of his nature. And, no, taking her words about wanting to eat Ean in any other way is wishful thinking).

As such, we need to be in top shape.

Esquilax

Arcane
Well, in the interest of consistency with our previous choice, I'll flop back to B. If we picked A in the previous choice and had Dario and Tenebrae with us, we could have proved that we were the Emperor without maiming ourselves, but I guess we ought to get down to business quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom