Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Yeah, but I don't trust the Codex to play that character well. Look what we did to Dio. Had it not been for the stroke of luck in acquiring Ban's sword, he would have ended the LP with a missing eye, a scared body, and no watchers left to aid him.

edit: not to mention that gaining some strength might get rid of our boy's Emo issues.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Even with Ean we didn't always go for the brute strength option, we shored up our weaknesses... hence the telekinesis, which we went for fairly early on. Considering how we couldn't fight our way out of a paper bag as it stands, it's a good idea to have physical superpowers on hand for the instances that come up when we will probably need them. We'll still be fairly brainy, and we can also work on that.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Only charisma doesn't appear to be his strong suit. He seems more of a shut-in type. And besides, these boosts for now are for only for a short time and I see no way, having contacted what we did and joining the extra-curricular that we have, how being weaker than a ten-year old will help us in any way, shape or form. Also, this will actually help our protagonist to develop his body up to normal standards and beyond, without having to eat people.
    It's all well and good to be a genius, but it's better to be a living moron than dead.

^ Top  
  4. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    We're too weak in all areas to really not capitalise on our strength here, which is analysis and thinking. We're not superhuman yet in that regard. You're also forgetting that in a couple of months at the very least we'll have peak human fitness levels if we exercise a bit. I don't think we need the strength yet, in the future, sure.

Also analysing and understanding dead bodies has its own advantages. It'll possibly lead to much better shapeshifting, which we essentially missed with Ean.

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No, I mean the usual weeaboo-styled sex scene writing is at that level. If I'm going to imitate the style...

Interestingly, the better written scenes I've read are the darker ones involving unsavory happenings.

^ Top  
  6. :mhd:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What good will analyzing dead bodies do when we can't even run decently and can barely lift a pen. You're saying we can take it later, but what makes you certain the opportunity will still be there: right now, we're picking an ethos, brains versus brawn.
    We're not weak with the STR, AGI and END (I also won't be surprised if he's extremely susceptible to illnesses and poisons) categories, we're almost in the negative. Our INT is pretty good, PER and CHA are on the level and I think our LUK is decent enough. That's three attributes, right there, that we'll be able to raise immediately to a survivable level.

Besides, I want to get our boy a military officer position and I doubt they accept someone who can't even do one pull-up. Trust me, piloting the mechs that, for all intents and purposes, we are creating will have it's advantages.
    Edit:
    No scat, otherwise color me intrigued.

^ Top  
  8. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    I think one of us is misinterpreting treave. As I understand it the physical improvement from B will still allow us to reach peak human fitness levels in a couple of months providing that we exercise and train hard enough. I will flop to A if there's little to no strength improvement to B, but I don't think that's the case.

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    There's your "little to no" strength improvement. Not enough, I'd say.

^ Top  
  10. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Yup codex once agains shows that Sanity and Commonm Sense is sold on the black market in far off Countries away from Codexers

We are the child of Moon-Ean and Moon-Sek!

^ Top  
  11. Well, just because we woke up in a Lunar hospital, doesn't mean we were born there. Also, the flowers have been exported from earth, so if we are somehow from them, then we could be from anywhere in the solar system. Not saying I agree with this theory 100%, just that it's not completely impossible...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Happy this is the post that explains strength no matter what its the same.

Used up my attention span on this signing off

^ Top  
  13. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    That sounds like enough to me. So what's the real advantage of A? B will take us so much further. You want to be military? This will give us greater opportunities. We can command, we can order, we can analyse, we can work as a science officer. Lots of possibilities. Besides, science officer sounds like it'd be an interesting angle. We've done the general and warrior before.

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The initial boost is really slight.

After that, it depends. If he gets put on a vigorous regimen everyday, he can hit top form within 4 months. If he does nothing at all it'll be closer to a year. Considering the other things he needs to do, balancing his life out with work, exercise, study and maybe love will mean that it takes 6, maybe 7 months for his body to naturally recover to what it should be.

Advantage of A is, of course, still in its superhuman abilities. Without taking A, Senya will always be subject to human limits when it comes to his strength. This can be a disadvantage when dealing directly with his enemies and generally rules out the "SMASH THEM" option for most of the confrontations.

The same applies for B, if you do not take it, there is a hard limit as to how much information his brain can take in, categorize and analyse.

^ Top  
  15. So no taking the strength boost later...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, for one we can use the strength boost right away (right now, on that thing that's trying to kill us). Also, it's not just strength
    We also become a warrior. Considering the situation, considering the club we joined (by the way, if we fail the pwincess will make life difficult. So we'd better succeed), considering the supernatural and especially considering that fighting ability is always useful (must I really mention all those times as Dio when we could have really used this, hm?) B is counterproductive at best, downright harmful at worst.

Edit: and what Lambchop said.

^ Top  
  17. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    The same with mental capacity however. With our enhanced intelligence we should be able to design superior mecha and the like where our physical limitations become meaningless. As for the anime club, we can still succeed, we just won't personally handle the fight against the kendo club. I think we should be able to find some capable recruits, and with our ability to absorb information, train them to be superior.

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Also, to make it even more clear

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    In terms of how it feels:

A. Burning, powerful, explosive
    B. Cold, calm, clinical

It's not a choice between rage and emo. :-/

^ Top  
  20. The question is, do we want to play a character that will constantly run into super strong enemies that he can't match and is forced to out-think? While I'll admit that it sounds intriguing, it also sounds like it could be frustrating down the line - and I'm not just talking about when the kendo ppl kick our ass.

Additoinally: We need to consider that we may be multiverse hopping in this LP*. A versatile skill set would serve us well.

*at least, I believe this was hinted at earlier.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    A matter of opinion really. I loathe the idea of a hard limit on our intelligence, because there's really no way I can think of to circumvent it, whereas with strength limitation we can augment ourselves with the tech we design. It just seems the superior option, also the more interesting one, since we've done warrior and superstrength enough.

Suffice to say, I want to be this:
    [​IMG]
    Rather than this:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What Lambchop said and I'd like to add that there is a thing as being way to specialized: too high INT will be redundant in most situations.
    I was being a little tongue-in-cheek.
    Edit:
    no one said anything about a hard-cap on our stats, only on the amount of power-ups we can take. We can still make ourselves smarter by traditional means and augmentations, am I correct treave?

^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    YES, socially awkward weaboo Tony Stark, I love it!

^ Top  
  24. Hmm. How about it treave? Will we be able to augment ourselves in the near future?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, studying, yeah. Hanging out with smart people and exchanging ideas.

B isn't actually upping the brain in the sense that Senya's going to start inventing teleporters and dimension hoppers out of nowhere whenever he uses the power. It's more of a way to increase the amount of information he receives from his surroundings and his ability to process that information at a very high speed. That can be very helpful in a fight and if he gets to determine the site of battle it's a devastating skill.

Augmentation is definitely necessary if you want to hang around with the big boys without taking super strength. Civilians don't get access to many mods besides the standard-of-living improving ones (health and such, invisible low-level nanotech), but once you really get into the plot it'll become available. No super brain drugs, though.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.