Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The plan was to use Azo's networks to obtain information, but that can't be done if you haven't earned the required amount of trust and/or respect, obviously. The handling of the first case was... mediocre, or you'd already have been able to obtain the first hints about Kyrie's whereabouts without talking to Naim. Oh well. Azo's networks aren't the only way you can accomplish your goals.

^ Top  
  2. Yes, yes, presumptions and all that. Look, I'm not against Shulgi, I'm against putting our faith in Azo's dumb ass.

Gratitude? Azo did a favor for Shulgi. Shulgi practically forced us into this and Azo is using us.

Exactly. It all starts with removing this turd from the mix and stealing all his knowledge of the situation. We can also use our contacts in the cult. Though hell, as someone who has been in closest proximity to the cyberhacker, we could opt for a transfer to that case in full, couldn't we?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Transferring is a bit of a moot point, as you'll see in the next update should the reload option win. Huh, you really hate Naim, don't you? :lol:

Also, I don't believe I implied that you would be able to steal everything he has ever known. Only what little he knows of where Kyrie is. The methods are a bit too brute-force for anything more complicated than that.

^ Top  
  4. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Shulgi proposed we do this, he by no means forced us. We could have become a space pirate if I recall correctly.

And we still don't know enough to start thinking on our own. Making speculations about what is what is going to get us killed, as it nearly did already. How about we play the good pawn/soldier until we know more about what is happening and only then take matters in our own hands. Doing our duty, earning trust, getting information without sacrificing our morality (and without killing/brain-raping some guys just because they seem odd).

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a good brain rape if it was Gallardo or Relius. Or any other bad guy. But this guy, although not our friend, is still not our enemy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B (Reload) with C

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I'll vote to reload, but I'm not exactly inclined to go full sociopathic grimdark. I'll save those votes for root's CYOA. We already know the other options are safe, but have different consequences. Let's look:

B1 - The opposite of A2. We know nothing and are not interested. Naim probably lets us go and we likely don't hear from him for a long time (I can certainly foresee a future CF duel as we storm Shulgi's domain, however). We also don't get any information, legit or misleading.

B2 - We're surprised, but want to help. We know Naim doesn't want us anywhere near Kyrie (I suspect she may be in Higashi lands considering how paranoid Naim is about us being here), so this will probably be the worst choice without actually being a bad end. Naim may feed us false information or have us tracked by Shulgi/Empress loyalists.

A1 - Here's an interesting choice. We say we know she's alive, but don't care to do anything further. This might assuage Naim's concerns the best. It could backfire if he thinks we're lying, but if he believes us then he might actually let slip something useful. Perhaps he would want to assure us that she's safe so we stay away or, if she isn't safe, then he might even ask for some peripheral aid thinking we'll walk away when it's all said and done.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Also, Esquilax was wrong about A2, but I think he's definitely right about Qin being extremely suspicious. I think she deliberately set up this confrontation in the bathroom. The question is who is she hoping gets the upper hand? Us brain-raping Naim might play right into her hands.

^ Top  
  8. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Yup, you are right about B1. I don't really care about getting information about Kyrie. And even if I wanted, I certainly wouldn't trust this idiot.

How do we know his information is legit ? And even if he knows something true about this, why do we trust him to tell us the truth ?

I admit C is a better option in getting information. But I'd rather not know for now than brain rape a semi-innocent man, because I am sure we could get information by other means.

^ Top  
  9. Zwist Learned

Zwist
    A. I dislike reloads.

Also Naim:

Did you guys notice how we tend to die to the biggest losers in play?

^ Top  
  10. :lol: Yep. Though I may be transferring a bit of my anger over the whole Theseus thing. I missed that vote, you see. Seeing it all happen again is...*sniff*...too painful.
    So he
    Show Spoiler
    doesn't know that Qin is actually Kyrie? How about that.

edit: Sorry Zwist, but I have no desire to lose to Theseus AGAIN. My vote is C, but I'll flop to ANY reload option (especially A1) to stave off A from winning.

edit2: Plus, I'm curious to see how the reloading itself will be handled.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Naim gets all credit for killing the infamous terrorist Hoshikawa Senya, becomes the best-loved badass in the world. :lol:

I think that'd be great, personally.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. :rage:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Well. Guess I was wrong. :oops:

Cyborg ninja is cool and all, but I'd rather reload. I don't want us to mindrape Naim either. For a reload, I'd be voting.
    A1
    We know she's alive, but we don't care right now. Sheesh. I'm a bit disillusioned right now, but I'd rather not have this CYOA go DEVOUR SOUL retarded..

As per treaves request, in order of preference:
    Reload
    A1>B1>C>B2

^ Top  
  14. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Actually I also am willing to flop to any other choices just so that we can reload.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I guess I'll make a formal vote for

Reload: A1

^ Top  
  16. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    a
    cyborg ninjas are fine too

^ Top  
  17. Side note:

Bros, I finally have the answer to the question that's been haunting me ever since I came to the Codex:
    It's...it's because in the question the tortoise is really Naim...and I'm Dio.+M

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I regret missing the vote on whether to keep playing as Dio. Still it'd have been better if he was a bit more sympathetic and we didn't vote to kill off his beloved. It'd keep him more in the Blackadder realm of evil. I think Senya can reach that realm too.

Unrelatedly. I propose this be Ean's song.

^ Top  
  19. I wasn't a big fan of Dio. Especially the way we played him. Mostly because he had virtually no power til he got the sword - though that stupid eye-loss bs with the cult was lame too. Also, the whole pimping out his fiancee as a rape victim was a little over the top...

Also, to all the Naim-lovers:
    I like how us mind-zapping Naim just to be sure he's not a threat is horrible and paranoid, but Naim shooting us in the heart & freaking eye for the same reason is understandable.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I don't really give two shits about Naim. If he died on set in a horrible accident I wouldn't really care. I do, however, care about Senya and his state of mind. He lost control when he killed those cultists for reasons that neither he as a character nor us as the audience understand (setting aside the fact that we chose that option in a CYOA). Indulging in those behaviors again, especially before he's had enough time for self-reflection and analysis seems incredibly dangerous to his mental stability and self-control.

Since we're keen on the Ean/Theseus comparisons, consider that Theseus stabbing Ean forced him to consume the voices and develop a permanent hunger in order to stay alive. It was a huge watershed moment in Ean's character arc. The hunger gave Ean great powers, but also a great weakness. We had to be constantly on guard against the hunger and made numerous, potentially suboptimal choices to keep it at bay and prevent Ean from losing control.

Similarly, I think mind-raping an innocent Naim (remember with a reload, he has yet to take direct aggressive action against us, the cultists at least were evil) will be a watershed moment for Senya. Sure it will probably open up more chances to engage in grimdarkery and develop his mind-rape powers, but there will certainly be a price to pay as well. I want to avoid paying that price unless it becomes necessary. It's not necessary yet.

^ Top  
  21. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I want to reload but I don't want to vote 1. If Kyrie finds out we said that while she is being brainwashed, she would stop resisting and that would make finding her pointless. But I just don't see how B2 would work.

Reload A1.

^ Top  
  22. Bros, I'm thinking about 1 more and the more I do the less sense it makes. Think about it from Naim's perspective. If he hears that he'll either:
    1. Not believe us. Remember that he's being lied to by Shulgi. If we confirm even a part of that lie, he'll trust us far less.
    2. Think we're a dick for not wanting to rescue her. According to treave his motive is to save his friend's life and our being a dick and saying we don't care anymore won't exactly win any points.

treave, if we pick 1, does that mean we say we don't care or that we don't believe it's in her best interest to attempt a rescue?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The choice wasn't worded all too clearly, but it would involve a mix of both. You indicate that she would be safer if you didn't do anything foolish to get to her, and also that you think you should move on since there's nothing you can do. You would also express satisfaction that she is alive and tell Naim knowing that is enough for you.

^ Top  
  24. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    If I'm not mistaken the current tally stands at:

Continue - 2 (Zwist, Kipeci)
    Reload A1 - 3 (Azira, ScubaV, Tome)
    Reload B1 - 2 (Esquilax, Rex Feral)
    Reload C - 3 (Smashing Axe, Lambchop19, Storyfag)

^ Top  
  25. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Just so we are clear, my order of choices are B1>A1>C>Continue

That means that if no one else votes for B1 and you need a tie breaker or C or Continue are about to win then I flop to A1.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.