Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, if the reloaders can't actually agree on what to reload on, I'm not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and strike down A.

I'm sure there are those that would rather go A than reload to C.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Could those of us who chose to do so vote B, but with a preference vote for one subset? Or is that too much of a pain to deal with?

Democracy is a bitch.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's not hard to count, but again I'm not keen on counting B-voters as a unanimous bloc unless they would never, ever pick A over any of the other remaining options for a reload.

To make things clear, B voters should state their order of preference like Rex did, and then I'll see how to work things out from there.

To give A a fair shake; it does cut through all the lengthy build-up and drops you right before the Shulgi saga's end-game.

edit: Update comes in about 30+ hours.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Edit: Lambchop19, yeah, I meant A. I know it sucks but we've soldiered on with Ean when we reached a bad end... so why not here? I realize we weren't offered a choice then but I dunno, just seems popamole. In any case, I believe treave won't be updating for a couple of days, so perhaps I'll mull things over and go with a reload if I decide to give into powergaming faggotry.
That was Ean's game. Senya's is weeaboo and therefore supposed to incorporate things like bad ends.

Hell, this is EXACTLY like the Theseus situation now. Complete with you acting in a similar way "oops, well, Ean's dead, let's accept it and move on". Bro, you screwed up. Man up and don't make the rest of us who didn't vote that or the people that followed your vote pay for it. Naim as the world's greatest hero? For killing us? After we trusted is lame ass? He shot us in the EYE. What kind of DICK does that? If you're going to do it, at least have the courtesy to put the gun against the head and not the frick'n eye. :eek:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
While waiting for a clear winner to emerge, let's have a State of Technology update.

Intermission: State of Technology (4026 A.C.)

AUGMENTATIONS

Though augmentations in the form of prosthetics have existed for thousands of years, the field has seen a surge of innovation and popularity in recent years. It is estimated that nearly a quarter of the Earthbound population and more than half of the colonists use augments in one form or another. Despite that, they are seen as an expensive tool for most, and a plaything for the rich. The majority of augmentations are implanted as part of a contract between a worker and a corporation or the government. Most Federation augments are sourced from one of two corporations; the Muramasa Foundation or Great Eastern Heavy Industries.

Limb Augmentations

Carbon nanotubes (CNT) are the mainstay of this particular field. Advances have been rapid since the start of the war, with combat frame technology receiving the immediate benefits thanks to the particular breakthroughs made by the Indus scientist Krishnashankar, who has gone missing in the aftermath of the colony drop. The ISC labs are the first to successfully construct pilot suits based off miniaturization of Krishnashankar's concept. Military-grade exo-suit prototypes are currently in testing in various locations all over the world, particularly in Higashi, UNS and Skane. The prototypes tend to achieve ten times human performance, based on the personnel in the exo-suit.

Most limb augments are mostly artificial muscle polymer with varying percentages of CNT fibres. The force and contractile speed varies accordingly, from peak human to five times human performance. Currently, pure CNT limbs have a minimum baseline of twenty times human performance, but meeting its potential is still an issue as cognitive enhancements have not caught up sufficiently to allow a human to process the strength and speed which a CNT muscle can output. Most augments are controlled by limiters to avoid the users from harming themselves.

Strength comparisons (estimated):
Peak human = 350 kg
Artificial polymer+CNT = 1750 kg
Pure CNT = 7000 kg
CF = 87500 kg

Neural & Sensory Augmentations

Neural augments generally consist of a disc of cortex-mimicking artificial neurons supplemented with electronic circuitry for easier diagnosis and maintenance, implanted below the cerebellum. They act as a secondary brain of sorts, enhancing memory capacity, motor control and cognitive processing. Users of military-grade limb augmentations require at least a motor control augment to operate at full capacity. There are also neural augments targeted at the hypothalamic region, which are only meant for emotional regulation or pleasure stimulation. Most neural augments come with a wireless connection, allowing the user to be perpetually linked to the internet and navigate virtual space by thought, if that is their wish.

Sensory augments involve replacing a particular sensory organ – eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and even skin – with an artificial equivalent that has heightened sensitivity and receptivity. They may be equipped with functions not found in their human biological counterparts; radar and electromagnetic spectrum sight, for example, though usually a neural upgrade is required to make full use of those functions.

Miscellanous Augmentations

There are also plenty of augmentations that focus on style over function. Vocal cord augments have become popular as of late, allowing users to sing in harmony with themselves, as are small bio-mechanical wings and tails that are functionally useless. Augmentations for merely aesthetic purposes are, however, frowned upon in most of the world, and those who indulge in it are considered hardcore augment addicts. They generally congregate in enclaves, unable to socialize with the unaugmented. The artificial island of Rakuten is the largest such enclave in the world.

The Digital Divide

With the advent of dive technology came the ability to immerse oneself into the virtual world. Instead of implanting full-fledged neural prostheses, users could opt to have a wired jack surgically inserted into their cervical vertebrae, allowing them to 'dive' into virtual reality with the appropriate equipment. Holograms only replicate sight and sound, but within a virtual reality the user may experience the full gamut of senses. VR 'communities' began springing up around the more popular sites, transforming the way interaction is conducted online. Though there are still purists who prefer to stick to regular text, video and voice, they are a rare lot.

The adoption rate for dive technology has been unprecedented in Higashi, and in fact has soared during the war as more and more youth sought for a way to escape their reality. It is estimated that more than 95% of people under 25 have bought and installed a dive implant. Furthermore, it has become popular for parents to save up for a neural augment for their children in order to get a head-start in life; starting from 15 years ago, many children have been implanted with a neural augment – at great cost to the parents – when they reach the age of 5.

The effect has been to birth an entire generation of youth country-wide that spend almost all of their time living (and working) entirely within virtual worlds, leaving only to perform vital bodily functions.

NANOTECHNOLOGY

Nanotechnology has been a tough field to crack, but the first vital discoveries were made 30 years ago, based on the terraforming effects of Inanna flowers. Researches discovered that the cells of the flowers produced 'natural' nanomachines, performing only specific functions. These were investigated heavily, especially in light of the Apostles' claims to their spiritual potency around twenty years back, but they were never demonstrated to interact in any way with human biology. Researchers also failed to reprogram the natural nanomachines produced by the flowers. Regardless, their study has led to advances in the field of nanotechnology, and full-fledged nanite assemblers are thought to be a reality in the very near future. In recent weeks, UNS scientists have also discovered that the biology of some humans have some similarities to that of the flowers; particularly in terms of an extra organelle which appears to be related to the nanite-producing organelle in Inanna flowers. The initial discovery was publicized widely, but the Federation government soon shut down all news of it before any further details could be known.

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

Artificial intelligence is currently a relatively stagnant field. Rudimentary AI with fixed programming is in widespread use all over the world, operating unmanned robots and automated systems. Learning AI is still under development, and has seen deployment in more advanced cities, but the learning algorithms in these AI are slow, requiring a lot of data to learn and adapt. True learning AIs that are almost indistinguishable from humans are probably decades away.

EXOTIC TECHNOLOGIES

There are rumours of nebulous, shady organizations developing some form of exotic power source because limitless fusion and solar just doesn't cut it anymore – Black Hole Engines, Dimension Reactors, Antimatter Annihilation Engines etc – somewhere in an unmarked, unknown military base that no one knows about. Usually the people talking about this throw around terms like degeneracy, quantum, event horizons, paired particle annihilation, quantum, multiverse grids and quantum, claiming that it is being used to power the propulsion and weaponry of some super secret prototype warship or robot.

They're just rumours, of course.

ScubaV

Prophet
I've updated my tally:

Continue - 4 (Zwist, Kipeci, root, Esquilax)
Reload A1 - 5 (Azira, ScubaV, Tome, Rex Feral (2nd choice since B1 is way behind), Lambchop19 (2nd choice as tiebreaker))
Reload C - 2 (Smashing Axe, Storyfag)
Invalid or unspecified choice - 2 (Baltika9, aleam iacis)

Esquilax

Arcane
I thought that the whole point of these CYOA's was that every choice matters because you don't get to reload, so it makes everything more important. And this:

Bro, you screwed up. Man up and don't make the rest of us who didn't vote that or the people that followed your vote pay for it.

is pretty guilt trippy. Sure, I was the loudest in favour of trusting Naim, but I wasn't the first or the only one to do so - lots of people were going with A2 before I had even posted, and it was a tied vote until I broke it. So sure, I'll take the lion's share of the blame for this bad decision, but you're being kinda melodramatic by telling me to "man up", which for some reason should mean that I ought to vote for a reload. There were plenty of choices that I wasn't a fan of in Ean's arc, but I was always willing to roll with the punches.

But ScubaV has some good arguments on his side and it seems that most people here would prefer a reload, so it'll win.

Edit: Looks like A1 will be the victor here, as I've said. Also, I just read treave's post: I'd rather take the hit for this bad decision up front than deal with it in some unforeseen ways.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Like I said, if B1 has no chance of winning, as Esquilax has decided to continue, I will flop to A1. I suggest those with C do the same. In case they want a reload of course.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Obviously, there will be consequences for reloading. In fact it's a holdover mechanism from the first draft of this particular 'book' where it was possible to reload after every choice, no matter how inconsequential. I'm considering bringing it back in full now that I've figured out how to execute it properly, and the in-universe explanation has always been there from the start. Still need to 'unlock' it, though... perhaps a few more deaths will be convincing enough as an in-universe reason.

edit: Don't expect all bad ends to have a chance to continue. This one is different because you were resuscitated, albeit not in your original form. You will automatically 'reload' in most of the other ones, as I've said a couple months back.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Consequences ?! Like what ?

-25% XP for 1 week ?
Even more choices that lead to a bad end ?
Everyone starts hating our guts ?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You will get points for the bad end meter, as I've said. We'll see what happens as it fills up, if we're lucky enough to get more bad ends.

is pretty guilt trippy. Sure, I was the loudest in favour of trusting Naim, but I wasn't the first or the only one to do so - lots of people were going with A2 before I had even posted, and it was a tied vote until I broke it. So sure, I'll take the lion's share of the blame for this bad decision, but you're being kinda melodramatic by telling me to "man up", which for some reason should mean that I ought to vote for a reload. There were plenty of choices that I wasn't a fan of in Ean's arc, but I was always willing to roll with the punches.
Fact is, people listen to you. You reason things out pretty well most times, so most here trust you and are less inclined to flop if you are in favor of something as well. Not trying to guilt trip, bro. Just trying to use a sense of responsibility to wake you up out of the "might as well accept defeat" mentality you seem to get at times like these.
Edit: Looks like A1 will be the victor here, as I've said. Also, I just read treave's post: I'd rather take the hit for this bad decision up front than deal with it in some unforeseen ways.
Whatever the consequences are, it's worth it not to lose to Theseus again. edit: We just have to steer clear of these choices in the future so as not to fill up the bad end meter. Not criticizing me when I say someone is Theseus might be a good start, eh? :smug:

Also, A1 still doesn't deal with Naim's threat completely. We need to watch him and be alert. He may very well plan to eliminate us as we still pose a threat to Kyrie if we know she's alive. So basically, don't trust his lame ass and slap Baltika9 every time he suggests teaming up with him.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
It's a moot point now, but I'm curious why you no-Cers went with A1 over B1? What advantage do we gain by telling Naim we already know Kyrie is still alive?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, no, the sentiment of not wanting to lose, regardless of what it might cost others, is what I was calling sociopathic.

*sigh* treave, don't take my simplification as my only reason for the reload. This is an interweb forum and sometimes we don't give the whole reason of why we're voting for something. Esp. when we're distracted by work as I have been lately. Sure, it's a big deal not to let the whole Theseus thing happen again, but I also considered several other factors, chief among them that it loses us time. Time to find a way to save Kyrie, time to learn about our powers so we can do it, time to find out what Shulgi is really up to so we don't rush in blindly and end up ruining his/the master who's controlling him's plan destroy/save the world. Last time we were all about our own glory and cocked it up for Kyrie - and for the rest of the human race...or saved it depending on who's side Shulgi is really on.

Also, there's the whole not wanting to be shot in the eye by a ponce and brought back as Gunther Herman's long lost asain half-brother. Guess that's pretty selfish though. :M

edit: although can I take your suggestion to mean that our every death and rebirth somehow harms or kills someone else? TNO style?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Not me, I want to play a self-centered calculating asshole on a power-binge who inadvertently saves the day whilst pursuing his own objectives. With loyalty to a few, and disdain for all else.

Hmm. I'll have to think about that. See this is the other reason I wanted to reload. Knew you'd come with something cooler than a simple reset.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Reload: Case of the Cursed Songstress, Act IV

What is the smallest unit of time the human mind can perceive? A millisecond? A femtosecond?

This is smaller... far, far smaller than that. It is the time it takes light to travel across the radius of an atom. It is the lifespan of unbearably exotic particles that physicists would willingly give two arms, two legs and an eye to study.

My brain should not even be able to comprehend such a transient time, but somehow, I do.

Processing. Integrating.

Cognisance.

As I perceive, I am perceived.

In that briefest instant, an unfathomably vast entity stirs, an existence I can feel but not observe directly, and I get a distinct sense of possibilities extinguished.

“...would you do?”

“I'm sorry?”

“What would you do if I told you she was alive?”

I'm still in the washroom of the Yamaten. I gaze down at my hands – they are trembling. My ability is active, but I don't remember using it. Not consciously, at least. What did I just see? The memory of the experience is fast fading, my mind unable to grasp on to such a fleeting sight. There are no details to remember, but the all-pervasive feeling of being observed very thoroughly lingers with me still.

When did I enter this washroom? Less than a minute ago? It is not the first time I am in this place, am I? I instinctively rear my hand up to my left eye, for some reason unknown even to myself. Something... strange has happened.

“Hoshikawa, are you okay?” Naim looks on with an expression of fear and confusion.

“I'm fine. You were talking about Kyrie, weren't you?” I dismiss his concerns. Somehow, I'm slumped against the wall of the washroom. I get to my feet, keeping an eye on Naim. He's not very stable right now. “I know that she is still alive.”

His eyes open wide as he shifts his hand inside his coat. There is a dull, throbbing ache in my head. I should attack the fool before he does anything stupid, shouldn't I? Prying out what he knows of Kyrie by force would be so much simpler, and it's not like I don't have a scapegoat to pin it on. My hand twitches, eager to pounce. I take a deep breath.

Then again, why sacrifice a pawn so easily? It may be a dangerous game I play, but he is in a good position on the chessboard right now; if I think ahead and play well, Naim could just be the piece I checkmate President Julia with.

“Naim,” I say quietly. “Do you think I should look for her?”

His eyes narrow. “Why are you asking me that? Don't you already know where she is?” He seems about to snap and do something stupid. My instincts are warning me to be more careful with my words, and I do so, picking my next approach with caution.

“I don't, but even if I did... What have I managed to do for her?” I ask, just a bit guiltily. “It seems that I accomplish nothing but drag her into danger, time after time, because of my own recklessness.” To be honest, she had just a big part in it – deep down we have always treated each other as mutual accomplices, but I'm certain Naim isn't interested in hearing that. I tell him exactly what he wants to hear. He relaxes slightly, lowering his shoulders. This is a good, non-threatening posture; I can surprise him from here more easily if I want to silence him.

“Don't be too hard on yourself. It's good that you recognize your mistakes.” He tries to comfort me – poorly. If I were truly upset, that would not be what I wanted to hear. “I'm glad you realize that staying near her would not be for the best.”

“Yes, I know that.” I say in resignation. Naim heaves a sigh of relief, thinking that he's gotten through to me. “Is she alright, though?” I ask, after giving him some time to settle into his new, more relaxed state of mind. He instantly tenses up.

Aha, so there is something there.

“Of course she's alright. Don't worry about it.”

“Are you sure? Have you been able to meet her?”

“I... no.” he admits, looking away. “I know her general location, and that she's still alive, but they're not telling me anything else.”

“How do you expect me to let her be that easily then?” I whisper, the slightest hint of anger seeping into my voice. He glares back at me. “Don't do anything stupid, Hoshikawa.”

“I won't, but I do expect you to protect her in my stead, you asshole. Why are you talking to me about her if you're not going to keep her safe?”

He grits his teeth. “I'm trying. It's just... well, you don't know everything.”

“Then tell me everything.”

“I can't. He'll find out.”

“Who?”

“I can't tell you,” he insists.

“At least keep me informed on Kyrie's safety,” I press. “You know what those bastards can do, don't you?”

His face turns pale as he nods slowly. “I... yes. Actually, are you sure you don't know where she is?”

I shake my head. “Why do you keep asking that?”

“No, never mind. Well, there might be something...”

“Come on, Naim! It's Kyrie we're talking about here. If there's something I can help to do to keep her safe, just tell me. If it means you want me out of Higashi, I'll do it.” I say earnestly. He falls for it entirely, glancing at me awkwardly.

“Oh, no. There's no need to do that. I just don't want you to do something stupid like plotting a rescue.”

“Then what is that something you were talking about?”

“If you... do... see her, do not approach her but let me know. Immediately.”

Naim. Naim, you imbecile. I resist a sudden, strange urge to gloat and laugh maniacally. Eureka, as the ancient Greeks were wont to say.

“How the hell did they lose her?” I say loudly. He tries to shush me, looking around wildly. “I have no idea at all, but what I could find out is that she is gone, and it is not the doing of the President. I thought you would have something to do with it, but... anyway, just... just don't do anything stupid, please. You know what you should do, right? Coming into contact with her will be risky for the both of you.”

“You think she'll come to find me.”

“Yes.” he says. “That puts her in danger. That puts you in danger. The two of you must not meet. They'll know.”

“You would be willing to kill me over that?” I have no idea why I said that, the words just spilling out of my lips.

“Yes. If you try to get her back, I would.” he admits, a pained look on his face. I'm not even going to bother asking him why. Instead, I drop to my knees in front of him.

"Then I'm at your mercy, Sir Naim. You know my identity and you can kill me any time you wish, if you think it will save her. That... doesn't matter to me at all. What matters is that you keep her safe. I can't give her that, but you can. As long as you protect her, I don't care what happens to me. Swear to me that you will do so.”

He nods solemnly. “I swear it. I will keep her safe from all who would harm her. Thank you for trusting me, Hoshikawa.”

No, thank you for trusting me, you idiot, I think, but I say, “I'm leaving her in your hands. If she does try to find me, you will be the first to know.” He puts one hand on my shoulder, smiling. I smile back. If I were him, I would have let me enter the washroom first and then shoot me in the back. It must be good to be so trusting. I massage my temples as the headache gradually grows stronger – am I already being influenced?

“Alert: a flash of light just went out across the entire restaurant!” shouts Yua. At the same time, I hear screams from the direction of the dining area. I leap to my feet and sprint out of the washroom, leaving a confused Naim behind. There is a loud crash just as I reach the main hall of the restaurant – one of the glass panels that separate the restaurant from the Kyoto sky has been shattered, presumably by the mallet wielding, four-armed kitchen robot standing besides it. A strong wind instantly blows in from the gap, scattering utensils and swaying the shrubs. Qin is on the pebbled floor, surrounded by three people in serving uniform; two males, one female. I look intently at the female server; she's not my sister. I thank my lucky stars for that.

"Chinatsu is inside the kitchen." Yua informs me.

“Qin, get over here!” I yell. She spots me and scrambles over, her eyes wide with fright. The servers let her go, their heads turning blankly to look at us. When she reaches me, she clings to me tightly, looking back over her shoulder at the three servers. Naim comes up behind us, looking on in amazement.

“What happened?” I ask.

Before she can reply, an eerie wail floats throughout the indoor garden, loud enough to be heard above the howling wind and the yelling customers. It takes me a while before I realize that the trio are singing Happy Birthday in an extremely creepy manner.

“Happy Birthday, Qin Kawano!” they smile, in perfect synchronicity, as if they are badly programmed robots.

“It's not my birthday,” she whispers, almost to herself. A tall man in his forties comes up to them, dressed impeccably. It seems like he is the manager. As he tries to berate them, the girl's eyes flicker for a moment, and her face writhes in an inhuman manner. Her hand flashes up quickly, almost a blur. The man stops and stumbles backwards, staring at his chest. A kitchen knife is embedded in it, penetrating from under his sternum towards his heart. As he collapses, the yells of the customers turn to shrieks of terror, as a stampede begins towards the exit. Throughout it all, the servers never take their eyes off Qin.

“Here is Cyber Jack's present to you!” they shout, in perfect synchronicity, as if one of them hadn't just stabbed the manager.

Then, they run in line towards the gap and jump out of it. The robot, in the meantime, speeds off towards the exit, whirling the meat mallet around to smash its way past the guests as they scream in agony. Whatever is affecting the servers must be the technique Cyber Jack used to cause the mass suicides. Taking one of them alive would be informative – the department had found nothing yet from autopsies of the suicides, but on the other hand, the robot is also suspicious.

This is not the time for analysis, though. I'll gather my thoughts later. If I want to act, I have to decide now.

A. I jump out the window. At this height, I should have 10, maybe 12 seconds before I hit the ground. Judging from the building's layout, I will have plenty of spots to arrest my fall should I choose to. Plenty of time to capture one of them... I suppose.

B. I go after the robot. If it didn't go into a suicide jump with the servers, or deactivate itself on the spot, it might be carrying something important. I'll probably need to subdue it somehow, but with my upgraded abilities that shouldn't be a problem.

C. I'm a bodyguard, not an investigator. I suppose I should just stay with Qin instead and escort her home, instead of leaving her with Naim. The poor girl must be terrified. Perfect time to question her, then.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
B - Seems conservative, still lets us protect Yin. Unlikely to give away our superhuman powers.

C flip flop. I think we should follow our intuition here and investigate the girl. Plus the robot could well be a distraction. The primary objective of our mission is to stop the idol from dying. Let's keep that in mind.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bit of an edit for clarification... we'll be, uh, interrogating Qin in C instead of pursuing any of the obvious leads, once we're in the privacy of her room. Gently of course (to start off with). Tentacles may or may not be involved.

Kipeci

Arcane
B, as much fun as an 'interrogation' would be.

The call of the tentacles is too strong. C.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom