Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Thanks for clearing that one up, treave.

I completely agree with Esquilax on the Sun-Nuke topic, too unpredictable, it will screw up our planet (whose survival we gave everything for) and permakill Shulgi. Unacceptable.
    And he's also a psychic blank, so we'll be able to take the Masters with an even bigger surprise. They definitely don't know about Ean's return, since his mere existence was jamming their signal for these one thousand years.

I suppose 3C depends on wether or not you think we can make a difference with our super-elite crew, which I think we can.

^ Top  
  2. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Esquilax

Completely agreed on the Sun nuke. I can't fathom why won't you vote for the Jupiter nuke though. It's better to have it and not use it, than to need it and not have it, after all.

^ Top  
  3. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Assuming that no one's changed their vote since treave's count, we're currently standing at:

1. A - 7, B - 6

2. A - 4, B - 4, C - 4, D - 1

3. A - 4, B - 6, C - 3

I think we should have the Jupiter nuke in reserve, even if we decide not to use it, ultimately. Threatening to blow up most of the Masters should hopefully give us more leverage over them.

Ugh. I don't know. Do we want to do the BCC thing, hopefully get a more complete infodump from the friendlier Masters, and then reset when we inevitably get screwed since we don't have fleets or a bomb as backup? Actually, never mind, I want to avoid the ghostpocalypse at all costs. That means we should bring a Jupiter bomb instead of a sun bomb.

^ Top  
  4. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    For the sneakier gits: Jupiter Bombs seems to be more syngergic with sneakygit option, because it doesn't recquire its own ship.

I'm fairly sure we can beat the League, mainly because we got Belly-A, Ean, the Imperial Fleet and the Mega-Mecha that totalled a good part of the Empire' fleet and defeated the Devourer all by itself. If it was just our mecha vs the Imperial fleet, I'm pretty sure we could've won.

Me, I like having what remains of our fleet + the Jupiter bomb. Senya uses his smarts a lot, but one of his main traits is that he knows that intellectual powers and plotting without physical power to back it is nothing when all your schemes fall. Which is why that we chose both power and knowlodge, and Senya built the gravity suits, turned into a tentacle hacker and eventually build the Anhur-Shur. Dio got heavily screwed because of that lack of physical power, and eventually learned that lesson.

Also, we may have a possible ally amongst the Masters: The Master that Shulgi knew and talked to. She might help us here.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Where does it say this? I must have missed it. If this is true, that's a serious advantage and a great case for sneaking in, should we make it past the automated defence system guarding the gateway.

This could be meta-gaming, but I'm a little hesitant to use a trump card that won't work 100% against a race of beings who have retroactively originated from Dio. I've already explained why I think the Sun nuke is a bad idea, but I'm not sold on the Jupiter nuke because it's use as a leverage tool is questionable since the Masters will very likely still survive it and potentially reset the universe. Nevertheless, you're right that this is the flimsiest part of my argument - having an ace up our sleeve like this is useful.

Well, she definitely won't help us if we threaten to wipe them out with a galaxy bomb and they are convinced that we're serious. But nonetheless, great observation; I think it's important to note that much like how Ean quickly realized that not all Gieloth were the same and there were many factions among them, it's likely that not all the Masters have the same goals and motivations, either. Sekhenun and Edem were completely different from Marduk and his lieutenants, so it isn't a stretch to think that there are Masters out there that are far different from Zeus.

Also, I should point out that sneaking in precludes the use of any bombs, and that includes the Jupiter bomb.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    This seems to suggest that Ean and Sek can jam their signal by merely existing, so they do not have total access to our reality yet.

Sure, they know Ean exists, but not his whereabouts. Coupled with his psychic blank status... yeah, you get the picture.

At least, that's what I see there.

^ Top  
  7. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana

Hmmmmm. Good point. You know what, fuck this. GAMBLING IT ALL ON BCC! I'll edit my original post.

^ Top  
  8. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Won't she? We would't be threatening the Masters with galaxy bombs if we didn't have a pretty good reason. Also, we stopped the Devourer when the only (aparent) price of not doing shit was the destruction of Earth (hardly something now), Selkh/Sekhenun being eaten (or brided to the giant Dragon and Tree-Ean doing horrible things to Senya.*

Yes, one of Ean's greatest lessons is that people are different from each other, and they change. Remember when we ran around screaming "ALL TENTACLES MUST DIE" like a loyal little dog of the Masters? We didn't even know the fuckers, we just saw tentacles, sinister cult and human posession and we thought they were evil and started hacking them up, Conan-style. Then we met Sekhenun, who was impressed with Ean's honour and independance from the Masters. We spent thousands of years and most of Ean's story seeing Shulgi conspiring against us from every shadow, then when we finally meet Shulgi he's our bro and Naram became a bad guy. Now we know the Tentacles are victims as well.

No bomb sneaking? Hmm, still, even in non-sneak options teh Jupiter bomb may hold a advantage there. If they randomly decide to scoop just our ship nd leave the others, we still got our bomb.

*Through I think that allowing the living embodiment of the Gieloth hunger to go and munch on the Masters is a BAAAAAD idea. Remember the alternate Olympus ending where Ean starts devouring Spheres and goes to the Observer? Something called The Great Devourer is best not allowed to remain at large, nothing makes sure it won't munch on the Masters and decide that it might as well munch all the rest of reality.

^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Flop to ABB.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    To be fair, Ean knew that there was a lot more to the situation than the voices were telling him as soon as he met Sekhenun. Fucking over Naram's plan to bring forth Ra was the icing on the cake as well. As for the Masters themselves, I believe that we can parley with the gentleman that we were talking with:

Senya doesn't exist, and it's quite possible that this particular Master is the only one aware of Senya at the moment. Sneaking through seems much more difficult, but would probably put us in a better position from which to seek knowledge. I'm curious what our interactions will be like should we successfully make our way to the other side.

Although it of course goes without saying that we'll have to do some fighting along the way. Our mind pact did involve the promise of ass-kicking.

^ Top  
  11. aleam iacis Scholar

aleam iacis
    Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
    I agree with The Brazilian Slaughter that some Masters might be okay, and maybe we could get along with them despite their immense power, so bomb negotiating after entering the portal and doing a little pillaging might lead to the best ending.

On the other hand, if we destroy the Masters' dimension... is that enough deaths for Senya's inner child idea making a group of super energy beings outside the constraints of the multiverse? Or whatever it was? Maybe they'd be greatful, maybe they'd be pissed, maybe they'd be like Ean and Sekhenun and out of our hair for a few millennia? How many masters are there, anyway?

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, what's holding you guys back from xCC? It seems like a very flexible option with great potential if we do it right.

True, it's not the safest, but Senya knows how to pull off the impossible, that's all he ever did.

And it's not like we get auto-blasted upon entering the cannon's range; treavr did say we'll have some choices that'll decide how succesful we'll be in navigating them. Senya and Rei are masters at maneuvering, so we're good on that front.

^ Top  
  13. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Oh yeah. Yeah. If the game is no longer important... Masters diplomacy, anybody? I think we can safely forego the bombs in that case... I don't think the Masters will be very inclined to play nice with us if we threaten them.

^ Top  
  14. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This is iffy. While I have no doubt that Ean and Sekhenun can cause problems for the Masters in this dimension, we don't know if this extends to the Masters' home turf. I'm sure that Sek can develop a few tricks that might help us, but I can't help but think that this analysis reeks of wishful thinking.

We're going to have to do some fighting in their dimension regardless of whether we get in there via sneaking or beating the Star League; we did agree to invade them, after all. So no matter what, some fighting will be involved - however, the question that remains is how much we'll learn provided we successfully get to the other side. For the moment, I've flopped to BCC because I feel that even though it's a massive risk, it'll put us in a better position to know things, while taking out the Star League and using a Jupiter bomb might leave us in a state of ignorance. No matter what we do, we have to learn all that we possibly can from the Masters, whether it's by force or through conversation with any Masters who've taken an interest in Senya's unique condition.

And well, the Masters could be very inclined to play nice if they are convinced that we can wipe them out before they manage to reset everything. The problem however, is the Catch-22 I mentioned before; Sun nuke wipes everything out, but has some potentially horrible consequences, while the Jupiter bomb leaves things (relatively intact) but will ensure that any surviving Masters reset everything. That being said, I would not be too averse to ABB winning - I think we can put together a winning strategy with that as well.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  16. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Gratituous space battles!

And I don't believe in nice Masters for a split second. We need a backup plan in the form of the Jupiter nuke.

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh? Ean is a psychic blank, we knew that ever since Crete. Zeus didn't sense him, neither did Marduk or Naram-Master/YHWH.

I don't see why that would change there.

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Azira -AAB
    Storyfag -ABB
    Anabanana -BCC
    Jester -BDA
    Lambchop19 -BAA
    ScubaV -BCC
    Kipeci -BCC
    Baltika9 -ACC
    The Brazilian Slaughter - ABB
    TOME -AAB
    Smashing Axe -AAB
    Tigranes -ABB
    Esquilax -BCC

1. A - 7, B - 6
    2. A - 4, B - 3, C - 5, D - 1
    3. A - 2, B - 6, C - 5

ACB, huh? The update should begin in 4 hours so you have till then to decide if you want any last minute flops. But if anyone flips just to get a tie to delay for more time, ACB wins by default. :rpgcodex:

As for why you can't sneak a Jupiter bomb through even if it can be loaded on a ship, five hundred metres is still too big and unwieldy to carry for the purposes of the mission. You'll be sneaking past with Anhur + a support module attached to it, which would still be smaller than the Jupiter bomb.

^ Top  
  19. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    ........WHAT. We're taking on the Star League aka piss off the Masters route, but we're going in after we win without a bomb? Is that wise?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  20. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    +M

Here we goooooooooooo...

^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Azira, Lambchop19, TOME, Jester, if you guys wanna get your last-minute flops in, do so quickly. Unfortunately, this is a combo that nobody voted for.

^ Top  
  22. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Which... ties us on 2B/C. :PI'm already on ABB so I can't help, but yeah, ACB is a retarded combination. Problem is that we've got split votes between Sunbomb and Jupbomb.

^ Top  
  23. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I'll flop to ABB if some weird ass combo that no one voted for like ACB is still winning by vote close.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    so it's a tie. Guess i have to flop. ABB. I'm on a mobile, not editing previous post.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Aww, you guys. We could have blown up the sun!

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.