Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I'm unsure of the connection between the Masters and the Overseer/great idea.
    The Masters hunted down and destroyed the spheres, the terminals of the Overseer? Would that make Senya just as much of an antagonist to them as the Spheres?

If so, it seems we have little choice but defeat them. Would be amusing though, if somehow Senya could make them all his little bitches.. Wipe a few from the records of fate, just to show them what for. Then blow up the sun at their tea-party. :troll:

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, given the current tally we should be finding out what the Masters are really all about
    Show Spoiler
    tea, actually
    ... in 24 hours.

^ Top  
  3. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    I think I'm leaning towards the sneaky-sneaky option. With our wormhole tech we should be quite capable of evading the sentinel drones (I keep getting HW2 recollections when thinking about those guardian machines of the Ancients).

Edit: Treave, don't do it! Give us a couple more days for arguing, please!

^ Top  
  4. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    FINALLY got to the end. This LP is magnific, Treave bro.

-----------------------

A. Use the Sun to create a device powerful enough to collapse the Masters’ entire dimension into a singularity when it is detonated. There is no point half-assing total destruction. - The best method IMHO to fuck over the Masters. If a sun-bomb doesn't work, nothing ever will. Granted, we just saw the Dragon eat a black-hole for Breakfast, but still, I don't think the masters are THAT advanced.

B. Turn Jupiter into a bomb that is powerful enough to destroy a galaxy. - Cool but IMHO underpowered to do what needs to be done. I'm not going to leave any chances when it comes to the Master.

C. Keep our explosives in our pants and do things the hard way – we will sally through the gateway and take on the Masters in direct combat. - Da fuck nigga. In Direct Combat we might get the Spirits, The Empire''s deities, Senya, Rei, Tree-Ean and possibly some cool mechs. The Masters can destroy the universe. We're WAY off our powerscale here.

D. Try using wormholes to transport men and materials towards the nearest G-type main-sequence star in order to build the bomb there. - This may work because of Ean and Sekhenun, as Sek is Gelioth and Ean is Gelioth-like immortal. That said, it is fairly dubious because the Masters can snatch us and we're fucked.

As for getting there;

A. Surrender. All we need is to get our people and equipment in place. It doesn’t matter whether we’re travelling with the Star League or over the flaming wrecks of their fleet. - Yeah, and then the League's immortals bumrush to the galaxy center, win and we suck cock.

B. Take on the Star League, head on. I find it unlikely that the Masters will like us winning, but once we defeat the League their systems will automatically recognize us as the winners of the game, allowing us passage. - This is a good one if we want to make AGSOLUTELY sure that we can destroy the Masters. With this, we can take out the League, build up our forces with black hole weaponry, pay a visit to the center of the galaxy, have a chat and smoke out the masters. The problem is that the masters may decide to restart the universe in fear of Senya, who just smacked the Devourer like a bitch.

C. Distract the League with our fleets while we attempt to infiltrate the gateway with a small, stealthy squad of elite units. This choice precludes the building of any bombs, however, as those devices will end up being too large for any stealth mission to work. - WE're going to be shot, unless Senya can stop the devices from seeing him and the ship.}
    EDIT: Forgot first question, edited.
    Voting AAB

I'm voting to fuck over those rebelfags because we're gonna need their ships and supplies to assault the Star League. Voting to fight the League AND letting them leave is retarded.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Very well, voting is open until Thursday, then. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    Treave's told us a few times that the Observer is flawed and seems to be forgetting things, and it's been heavily implied that that lost information is contributing toward some future catastrophic event. Presumably, once lost information reaches a certain threshold, we will begin the Ghost Singularity, which seems like it would probably end with the destruction of the multiverse.

If I had to guess, my guess would be that the Masters have been observing the growing entropy in the multiverse for a while, and the purpose of their game is to find some way to prevent it. They're the most advanced civilization in the multiverse, but that does them no good if the multiverse ceases to exist.

The bottom line is that even if we execute a flawless victory against the Masters, we'll still have to worry about the impending death of all worlds. Without any benefits we might have gained through their knowledge.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The Ghost Singularity is a rather apt name. Imagine a wave of white washing over every verse, spreading faster than light can travel. No comment on the Masters' plan though. We'll find out soon anyway.

Good timing. :lol: We're about to enter the final chapter, which should be the longest one yet unless you guys cock up badly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Oh, well, if we can choose to make the bomb but only use it as something to threaten the masters with, I think I might flop to BBA. Will have to consider this more. Thanks for extending the voting deadline, treave.

^ Top  
  9. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Yeah, I think it's best to talk to the Masters with the bomb in hand. Since we're going to reveal the bomb to them anyway, we might as well build it from a different star. Remember, they can only access our minds in the wormhole. They cannot truly interact with us or our toys.

^ Top  
  10. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A - Waste not, want not.
    A - Mutually assured destruction. We want their knowledge before we go destroying their dimension. Also, bye bye Shulgi.
    B - What is the point of destroying Masters in one dimension while allowing Star League to become new masters in other dimension?

^ Top  
  11. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Did a quick count, might not be accurate at all.

AAB
    BDB
    BCC
    BDA
    BAA
    BCC? - Not sure about Esquilax's vote
    BCC
    BCC
    ACC
    xAB - The Brazilian Slaughter, you forgot the first one
    AAB

A - 3 B - 7
    A - 4 C - 5 D - 2
    A - 2 B - 4 C - 5

Winning combination is BCC, which is retarded. How do you defeat entire race of more advanced beings in their own playground with a small team of infiltrators without using the bomb?

^ Top  
  12. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Haven't voted yet, TOME. I'm still unsure about what the best plan is.

Guys, it's important to note that there is probably not enough time to defeat the Star League in a war and turn the Sun into a super-weapon within six months:

It seems to me that even if we succeed in collapsing the Masters' dimension, we still lose and the multiverse still dies in the long-run, as Kayerts noted. I think that we are too ignorant of what we're doing and too lacking in information to start doing something reckless and insane like actually going through with using the Sun as a bomb. Bluffing the Masters in an effort to coerce them into revealing some knowledge, or trying to defeat the Star League in a straight-up war (assuming the Masters aren't too fussed about us being the victor of the conflict) all seem preferable.

What if we don't want to beat them? We don't even know what the Master's ultimate goal is in the millions of times that they've played this game. The first step here is to gain some knowledge.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Ean devoured Naram-Master prior to his death, couldn't he simply devour the Masters in their home dimension so long as he touches them with Anbar-Shi? Marduk planned on devouring everything in the center of the universe, Ean could do the same. However, then there's the problem of Ean becoming just like Marduk by doing this (the only thing that kept him in control was Sekhenun's presence), which defeats the purpose of reviving him...

^ Top  
  14. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I think that a Jupiter bomb should be sufficient for leverage over the Masters without having to kill Shulgi and deprive our entire solar system of its star. This way we can spend our time and resources on defeating the League, since if I remember correctly, making Jupiter into a bomb takes less time than the sun or another star? Or am I completely making that up? Hmm. BBB is looking somewhat more attractive at the moment...

Another question we might want to consider is that if we go for 3B (defeating the League), should we let the defectors go? We're probably going to need those resources under our control if we want to take on the League.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Now, you will have enough time to prepare the bomb and attempt to defeat the Star League. You're not going to wage a traditional war on them, taking their star systems one by one. That would be immensely retarded given your strict deadline and take years. No, a simple leak of information, a half-truth claiming that you have a weapon that can destroy the defense drones - perhaps a bomb of some sort - will cause them to act quickly before you grow any stronger. They might mobilize for Earth, but once they notice your entire fleet moving towards the gateway they will have no choice but to engage you in battle, and the presence of the Imperial fleet practically ensures that they're forced to throw everything they have in your way to have a chance to stop you. You will then attempt to crush each other in a series of fleet engagements leading towards the galactic core.

Remember, the League's immortal Council is not interested in ruling the galaxy or even the universe - not by sheer force of arms at any rate. They want to meet their gods over anything else, they've spent thousands of years working towards it, and it is that psychological weakness that Senya plans to exploit in B. There is no point in them attacking Earth if you are going to reach the portal first.

The criteria for being the winning civilization is actually to just reach the gateway, but due to the unsurmountable difficulty posed in getting past the defense grid - which also serves to prevent the first civ from merely being the luckiest by virtue of starting position - it is generally much easier to just stomp or assimilate every other culture out there - which is what the Masters intended for their game. However, any civilization strong enough to bypass their defenses would be strong enough to win outright should they make an effort to do so, and so it makes no real difference to them in that aspect - the first one to reach would still be considered worthy and they would be rather short-sighted to reject them for that. Thus, if you appear to have figured out a way to bypass the drones, you will have the League's undivided attention.

And in B, you want that. You want them to commit everything they have against you so that you can smash them down at the height of their power and leave them utterly beaten and lost, that there is no doubt that you are the victor.

Given what I just said, you might think 3C is more conducive to dialogue with the Masters. And you would be right; they'd be friendly(er).

Still, a reminder of the current circumstances: You entered a mind pact to invade the Masters' home dimension. Now, that doesn't mean you absolutely have to win. You'll at least be expected to make an effort to pillage a little, burn some buildings down, kill a Master or two. Blowing up their dimension satisfies Adrahasis, as mentioned in the update - and also because it necessitates an operation to enter the portal to set the bomb - but that doesn't mean you can half-ass it and pretend talking to them and then buggering off is considered an invasion.

But some of you might want to take the risk of the mind pact triggering and frying your brain, hoping for a reset after you've drunk up the infodump and can make a different, more informed call, so there's that tactic too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Gratituous space battles :bounce:

Changing my vote to:

A - we want the Star Leagues undivided attention.
    B - having an actual bomb will allow us to better dupe the League into attacking us. And it might make communication with the Masters more productive.
    B - Gratituous space battles :bounce:

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    And I believe that's enough information to go on for pros and cons of the various tactics. Or else we wouldn't be done even by Thursday. To summarize what should happen in each choice:

Surrender - last minute betrayal at the gateway, attempt to rush through before the Council representatives do (with or without a bomb). The end result is similar to C, in that you have one ship through the portal, but allows you to carry a bomb through. Getting discovered on the way there would be bad news, however, since you'll be in the midst of the League's fleet. It's alright after you get there because then you'll be in the midst of the automated defense system. :troll:

Attack - draw out the League, fight them, hopefully win. Advantage: you can send all of your surviving ships through the portal to increase your chances with the Masters. Disadvantage: you might not have any ships left after the battles if you make too many tactical blunders. Also, the sheer size of the fleet means that you cannot rely on wormhole technology to move all of them - you will have to minimize the number of long jumps to maintain fleet cohesion.

Sneak - Directly go through the defense system. Quickest way of meeting the masters and getting a plot dump without bothering with the League. However, pick the wrong route through the defense grid or make the wrong choice at the wrong time and you might get someone killed before you reach the gateway.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'm liking the infiltration tactic more and more. It's just so flexible.

Incredibly risky, but oh so worth it. And if we do decide to still fight them once we get to the other side, we'll have enough time to fulfill our contract.

^ Top  
  19. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Note, however, that we won't be bringing a bomb along in the infiltration option. And I'd much rather have it, or the Masters might try a reality-wipe.

^ Top  
  20. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Yeah, I think we need a bomb here - unless people want to go with the sneak-infodump-reset option. Considering flopping to BBA now - think of how kickass it'll be when we steal the League's victory from right under their noses. ;D

^ Top  
  21. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B-but gratituous space battles :desu:

^ Top  
  22. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Do you really think any space battle is going to top smashing a black hole-devouring spacedragon into Uranus? ;)

^ Top  
  23. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    It's a different kind of awsome :smug:

Anyhow, a few more Storyfag's Stupid Questions(tm)(R)(c)

1. I would very much like to know more about the Empire and its culture. How come so damn many Immortals want freedom from the Masters? Did *all* of them subdue their voices like Shulgi did? How is that even possible?
    2. I second Baltika's question about the Dunamis' reaction to Ean.

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Who says we'll give them a chance? Or did you forget that we're bringing the Greatest Bros That Ever Lived.

If everyone makes it in one piece, combining their powers with our tech and Senya's powers of destruction (after all, if the Devourer's concept would get a power-up in the Masters' dimension, why not the Destroyer's concept too?), we'll be able to take 'em.

And if we lose too many people, we can just grab the info and reload. See, flexible.

On the other hand, I am completely opposed to fucking up our Solar System by removing the Sun ot Jupiter. We have no guarantee that we'll be able to fix it later, and I don't want to fuck over the planet for which we did so much retardedly suicidal shit for.
    Also, Ean may not approve and I want Shulgi to live.

^ Top  
  25. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Senya is not a concept. He's a terminal of the Observer/Great Idea.

I don't want to touch the Sun, because Shulgi. Jupiter, however, is fair game.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.