Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Chapter 4.6: A Tangled Web

"Do you think Minos's daughters would be able to get access to something that can help us?" you ask. Sekhenun narrows her eyes. "Maybe. I don't know. Are you thinking of wasting the potion on those two brats, when you could just use it to get Minos to hand the artifact over to you?"

"I think it's safer than risking my own body, that's all. Minos is a Gieloth, and I don't know what he will or can do to me. It's pointless to trade my own life for the artifact."

"Ah, I see you've grown to be more cautious and sly without your powers. The heroic do-gooder is now a more careful person, eh?" grins Sekhenun. You sigh in response to her jibe. "I suppose we can give it a try. Those daughters of his are creations, as far as I can tell. They are more akin to humans than they are Gieloth, but they have a bit of the traits of both species. The potion should work. Hold your hand out."

You do so, and a wickedly curved knife flashes out, catching you by surprise and nicking your thumb. Sekhenun swiftly collects the blood that drips out and mixes it into the potion.

"Now, leave the potion to me. I'll make sure the two go head over heels for you." She begins cackling just a bit, and you wonder if you can fully trust her.

It worked, almost beyond your wildest dreams. Right after breakfast, when Sekhenun was supposed to have spiked their meals, you were cornered by Ariadne and Phaedra in one of the palace's gardens. The two were unmistakeably sisters, down to their shoulder-length curls, light brown eyes, and the confident ferocity in their glare.

"Take us." says Ariadne.

A bold statement to be making in broad daylight, in her father's palace. You can't help but blush a bit. "What? Right here?"

"No, my love, take us away from here." said Phaedra.

"I don't think it's a good idea to be taking you at this time, whether it's here or in your chambers." you protest. It was a good way of getting Minos to kill you before you'd managed to do anything.

"We want you to take us from Knossos, we want to travel with you, love." cries Ariadne.

"Oh." You take a moment to recover your composure. "I... I would be delighted to travel with such fair maidens, but I am afraid I cannot leave until I have accomplished my quest here." you begin.

"What is your quest?" Phaedra looks up at you shyly.

"I need your father to bestow upon me a little trinket from his treasury, a small golden bull statue. It is not much, but it was a relic of my village. It was lost when monsters sacked the village and killed my father. I have journeyed long and far to find this trinket, and only recently have I heard that the great King Minos, father to the most beautiful Ariadne and Phaedra, had come into possession of this insignificant little thing." You had rehearsed this proclamation last night with Sekhenun, who had not stopped giggling until you finally left the room.

"And so, my loves, I..." You see Sekhenun standing just beyond the courtyard, spying on you. She appears to be snickering. You falter for a while, your face turning red. "I... would gladly take you with me, if you would help me get this statue."

"Oh my, what a wonderful, moving tale! You are so heroic... hero? Oh, I love you so much and I don't even know your name!" gushed Ariadne. This feels so wrong to you. You shudder to imagine how Minos would have reacted after taking the potion.

"I am Runi, my lovely lady." you smile, and make a courteous bow. As you bend, you see Sekhenun in the distance with her back hunched over, her shoulders trembling with what appears to be suppressed laughter. Were you really that funny?

"Dear Runi, we do want to help you, but Father would have kept the statue in his vault in the Labyrinth." said Phaedra. "We would not dare enter it without his permission." Your spirits fall. It looks like you have wasted the potion... but Ariadne speaks up.

"However, we do know how to traverse the maze, love. Father uses a magical thread that lights up the path to where he wants to go. You just need to think of the place, and it will show the way." That sounded exactly like what you needed. You grab her hands, excited. "Where is it, Ariadne?" However, she looked crestfallen. "I am sorry, my love, I gave it to another."

As if on cue, the Athenian you saw came bounding out, exclaiming, "My love? What is the meaning of this? Had we not pledged sweet, eternal love yesternight? Why do you consort with another man?" Ariadne turns away from you, tears in her eyes. "Oh Theseus, I am so sorry. I loved you yesterday, and I still do, but today I also love Runi."

You resist the urge to run from the spot. This is very uncomfortable.

Theseus turns to face you with a smile, his chiseled, noble looks almost sparkling in the Cretan sun. "I am no man to turn down a challenge, Egyptian. I do not believe my love for Ariadne would pale against yours." You cast a look at Phaedra, who has been quiet for a while. Theseus continued. "Let us have a competition. Tonight we enter the Labyrinth. Come with me, and we shall see who slays the Minotaur first, for that is what I am here to achieve. The winner shall have the honour of Ariadne's undivided affections."

"Oh, Theseus!" exclaimed Ariadne.

"Ariadne!" exclaimed Theseus.

"...You have the thread?" you say, quietly.

"Yes, I do." So saying, Theseus reached into his tunic and brought out a sparkling, silver ball of thread that appeared to breathe, as if it were alive. It looks like your path was set. Now that you know what could lead you through the maze, it was a matter of getting your hands on it. You would have to enter the Labyrinth regardless of what else you did. Of course, it would not be wise to make any moves out in the open...

A. You attempt to persuade Theseus to let you have the thread. You use your tale of the statue to convince him that your quests do not conflict. As an added incentive, you promise to help him with the Minotaur after you have obtained the statue.

B. You go along with Theseus's attempt to slay the Minotaur first, planning to help him out so that he would be indebted to you. You will ask for the thread to search for the statue after the Minotaur is defeated, as a favour.

C. You attack Theseus in the labyrinth and grab the thread by force... the buffoon is in your way.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  3. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    :lol:

An honorable immortal like Ean would've picked B

But well, I can be swayed to C. I don't think A will work, after all Theseus has no reason to trust us at this moment, especially after we steal "his ladies". On top of that, I think A will also lower his view on us, after all what he is looking for is a manly challenge, right?

Either that, or let Theseus die "honorably" in the hand of the minotaur, and later slay the minotaur. But only if you guys feel strong that is... History dictates Theseus win single-handedy, so we will need to give the minotaur a "little push"

^ Top  
  4. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    A seems whiny

B for bro

Also seems like we made the right decision, at least in not voting A or B, as I suspect Minos would acquiesce to our request, only to find the magic string missing, leading to a bloody confrontation with Theseus. This way we have a temporary ally, at least until he kills us for stealing his love with rape magic.

The sister seems jealous as well, she might do something drastic like inform her father.

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Bro stick together.
    And, if the kid's an immortal, I do favor having an apprentice with us. We'll explain the whole thing once we have our powers back, and make sure he's an immortal.

Besides, here's how it's broken down:

A- Naram.
    B- Ean.
    C- Shulgi.

P.S: What's with the blushing and stuttering, Treavebro? Did Ean avoid female company again?

^ Top  
  6. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    A. I'm going to be boring and cautious.

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Hm, I was trying to convey the feeling of being unused to cheesily formal lines. Didn't want to over do it with stuff like "your eyes are like the stars in the night sky", but I guess it wasn't clear enough. Also, it's not that he's unused to female company, it's that Ariadne's 'company' isn't very natural to him.

He did suggest the idea but as it turns out, he isn't all together comfortable with it when it does work.

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    He who is not an idealist in the beginning has no heart. He who remains an idealist has no brain.

^ Top  
  9. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Well, according to the Theseus story he will eventually abandon Ariadne on an island & proceed to marry the other sister...
    Might as well see how the other sister thinks about this whole matter... I personally prefer the shy one :incline:

^ Top  
  10. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    I think it was more honourable Ean being uncomfortable with 'date-raping' one of these girls.

^ Top  
  11. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    How hard is it for us to learn languages, depowered and powered? We seem to be doing well in navigating the various cultures of the Mediterranean so far. Also, how likely is it that Sekhenun (I can never spell her name) will accompany us now that we have a means of navigating the labyrinth, or at least will once we slay the minotaur?

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I haven't figured out which is the ancient lingua franca of the Mediterranean yet, but Ean has had more than enough time to pick up that language so far given that Egypt is a regional power, conducting plenty of trade with the surrounding countries. Phoenician, maybe?

By getting the love potion and then actually using it, you've irrevocably changed the Theseus story, so things are definitely not going to play out as they would have now.

:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    C is rather stupid, especially since the love potion clearly does not go so far as to invalidate Ariadne's love for Theseus. We have little reason not to trust Theseus at the moment - it could all be pretense, but he's done his part by not getting cockraged at us and even showing us the thread. B for now.

^ Top  
  14. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    B

I don't think A will give us a good result. He wants a manly challenge so that he can fight for Ariadne's affections, he doesn't give a shit about some stranger's sob story, especially if that stranger is trying to steal his girl. It will make him mistrust us more and if he is suspicious of us, we'll have more than monsters to worry about in the Labyrinth. We have to work together, and to do that, we have to foster some trust by dealing with him honorably. United we stand, divided we fall.

He kept his cool with us and he even showed us the thread, so we have some reason to trust him. It could be a ploy, but I doubt it. I think this trip to the Labyrinth means just as much about him proving to himself that he's the man he wants to be as it is something he is doing out of love for Ariadne, which is why he relishes this challenge. Killing him would be a dirty thing to do, not to mention it would deprive us of an ally. Besides, Ariadne still loves Theseus, so butchering the dude in front of her might make her want to sic Minos on us out of revenge.

My mistake, C would involve killing him in the Labyrinth, out of Ariadne's sight. That's much smarter, but still really shitty and dishonorable. I don't like it. I think we can have a little bit of trust in Theseus to not stab us in the back. We could use a friend in there.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What Brosquilax said.

^ Top  
  16. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Flopping to B.

It's easy to be brave when your immortal. Time to prove that we are without it. Plus I see no reason in hell why Theseus would hand over the thread to us.

^ Top  
  17. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    B

Although this is going to lead to a pretty shitty situation later on. What happens in the labyrinth? Theseus runs off and leaves Ean to find his own path, probably hiding till Ean is killed by the minoraur? A could have worked if we had not given the potion to the sisters.

^ Top  
  18. Kattze Andhaira

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    B

^ Top  
  19. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    B
    Theseus is a bro.

^ Top  
  20. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  21. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    B But if push comes to shove we should think about leaving the kid to Minos's Bull even IF he is an immortal we currently aren't

EDIT: Just came up with a plan

D we get little old Theseus to help us get the statue by telling him in the treasury lays a weapon which can defeat the Minotaur *any old weapon will do* after which we grab the statue help kill the Bull

Edit: I had more but I felt it would be more then 1 update long...

^ Top  
  22. Computer Gamer Refugee Learned

Computer Gamer Refugee
    Project: Eternity
    Voting B

I see it as a win-win. He kills the minotard for us AND takes the girl(s) off our hands.

And is grateful to do it.

^ Top  
  23. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B

^ Top  
  24. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Bro choice.

^ Top  
  25. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Read the story of the Minos and Theseus there was only 1 daughter and the silk ball was not magicked there is no guarantee that he can pull off this feat again without our Bro strength.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.