Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Fuck honour! Ean has to learn to be a little realistic on the whole thing. A

And for B voters, remember that most likely we will be the one landing the killing blow considering how Theseus fared so far, provided that we are not killed. That or Theseus might bring the rivalry to a completely new level (letting the minotaur butcher us)

^ Top  
  2. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  3. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    I think that saving his ass and then letting him have the girl would easily overrule any resentment he might have towards us if we manage to kill Minotaur.

^ Top  
  4. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Hey treave, why exactly this isn't an option here? It seams like an obvious smart thing to do and just because Theseus isn't fighting smartly doesn't mean we can't. We'll be picking up the thread in either case, so why not use it and then lure the Minotaur towards our goal where we can have a chance of taking it out (and at the same time buy some time for Theseus to recover).

^ Top  
  5. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    I would support this option if it's possible. It's just a slight modification of A anyway.

^ Top  
  6. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I think it's because this is mostly a personality C&C. We can choose B and reinforce our honorable nature (and probably get seriously injured/knocked out for a long time as I don't think either option is going to kill us outright). Or we can choose A and become more pragmatic/cold-hearted with the main consequence of Theseus dying. I would prefer a modified A as you described, but that somewhat defeats the C&C that I think treave is aiming for.

^ Top  
  7. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    In the epilogue to the Sands of Egypt chapter, we know that Ean was able to kill a Child of Sekhenun with only his mortal skills. It nearly killed him, but he survived. This thing is tougher, but with Theseus and Ean working together, victory is possible. I am hoping that we'll be able to defeat the Minotaur, then get to the statue to recover any wounds we sustain in battle.

What Shulgi would do is leave Theseus to die, then once he found the statue, shapeshift into his form to usurp his legacy and become King of Athens.

ScubaV, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to heal if we get to the statue after facing the Minotaur. Our powers are not completely gone after all, only dormant. All they need is the right artifact and ritual to revive them, which Sekhenun is preparing right now.

Very tough choice. Fuck it, VOTING B.

A

Flopped back to B

^ Top  
  8. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    A Helping Theseus should not be our goal we came to get our powers through underhanded means so lets get them if he dies so what we can at least save the other Athenians from death its what he came for anyways he should not be thinking with his Man part over his quest.

Face it the moment we bartered with Sekhenun for power instead of pulping her to bits we sealed our fate Honor is a thing the old Ean Believed in the new one things about how can I *and my peeps* get moar power WITHOUT DYING

^ Top  
  9. Collage Educated

Collage
    B, for Ean is a true Bro.

^ Top  
  10. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Yeah, but whose fault is that, his or ours? Voting A is the smart choice, sure, but don't rationalize it by saying "well, it's really his fault for thinking with his dick!" when we were the ones who manipulated him into acting recklessly in the first place.

^ Top  
  11. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Lol I didn't say that. The dick part is part of the reason but the main thing is I want an underhanded and power hungry Ean so please don't pick a part of my post and make me look foolish taking it in entirely is the reason I post these mini sermons

^ Top  
  12. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    "The Imperium endures through the honest toil of the many and the calculated callousnes of the few." Should we hope to become the protector of Mankind, we would do well to understand that simple truth. On that note, A.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    B. No contest. BRO-dom and principles are more important to Ean anyways. We'll be missing out on intergalactic space-booty, but, you know. Bros b4 ho's and all that.
    A.
    Edit: I missed the part where B leads to other updates. B it is.

^ Top  
  14. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Damn you treave, you devious bastard. I think I have to vote B. I even just now typed out A, but had to go back and change it. Ean has been a self-sacrificing leader of men, but with his immortality it's still been something of a cheat. He could always put himself at the forefront of danger without ever being at risk of suffering the ultimate consequence. As I said before, I don't think this one choice is a 50/50 shot at permadeath, but it's a risk that hasn't been there in other choices.

I feel like this choice reflects Ean's true nature. Sure, he may take the more pragmatic path now and again (I don't see Ean as lawful good = lawful stupid, nor do I want him to be) but with all the chips on the line and a brother in battle that has treated us honorably so far how does Ean respond? Does he become self-preserving with his life on the line or does he respond in kind? And to answer that, I have to choose B. I'd hate to see the LP end, but even in the face of that possibility I choose to stay true to the character we've built so far. If it came to that, it would be a fitting end.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Urist McLurker Learned

Urist McLurker
    B, was thinking of A and convinced by ScubaV to vote otherwise. :bro:

Flipped to A :M

^ Top  
  16. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    This was why I wanted to go with the other choice in the last option, but maybe we won't be killed as dead as I think we're going to be, or something. If we did this, we ought to be consistent.
    B.

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Because your stubby mortal legs might not outrun the Minotaur. Well, the option is there, but catching Minotaur's attention then turning your back is even riskier than fighting it head on. You would need enough time for the thread to have laid out a path or you would outpace it by running. It'd also help if you had someone working with you to watch your back...

Basically, A has you safely heading to the vault undisturbed. B has you getting the Minotaur's attention, with all the risks that entails for whatever you do next.

Your idea would thus be an eventual extension of B, not A. ;)

^ Top  
  18. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Bah morals when the chips were down WE chose to let Sekhenun live to what do your morals say to that? Honor? what Honor do we have using a "love" potion on 2 defenseless tentacle hybrids *sexy I'll admit but still*? Character our "character" is a general a LEADER OF MEN he will see past stupidity and choose the route that leads to VICTORY he has shown this time and time again *the Temple last update for example* Ean has AND WILL compromise his "Ideals" if he sees a clearly defined benefit which in this case there is.

^ Top  
  19. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Ah fuck.

This is hard. But A. We will use Thesus's sacrifice to become a true champion of mankind. And perhaps rename our sword in his honour..

^ Top  
  20. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Looks like B is going to win. Look forward to seeing you all in a couple millennia, if ever, brothers.

Honestly, I think that if you're voting B just to stay true to Ean's character, A is more in character for him than B. We've made a fair amount of pragmatic, less-than-honorable choices throughout this CYOA when it really comes down to it. And also, I just don't understand what Theseus has done to elevate himself to bro status. He's not like Sekhenum, who's actually helped us and held up her end of the deal (so far). Or like Akil and co., who did a good job helping Ean out. If it was Sekhenum about to get killed, I'd totally vote B. But Theseus is like chief handmaiden level in terms of bro-ness, and we didn't have any qualms about leaving her and her friends to get mindraped by a sex-crazed immortal. If we wanted to stay true to an honorable character, we would have stayed and helped instead of fleeing like a coward from a little girl who can't even fight.

Let's face it, the boat of honour has sailed. All we have left now is to face the fact that Ean is less a dumb shonen anime action hero and more of a pragmatic, smart character who wants to be honorable, but understands that other things are more important due to all the traumatic experiences he's been through and the hard decisions that he's had to make. But hey, if you want to throw out all that character development, be my guest. The voices are capricious, after all.

Speaking of the voices, I'm amused that we're still controlling Ean even though he supposedly can't hear the voices anymore. Maybe we're influencing him via his subconscious now?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Oh, did I not actually vote last time? A.

^ Top  
  22. Kattze Andhaira

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    B, No Risk, No Glory.

^ Top  
  23. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    B 10
    Zero Credibility
    Quetzacoatl
    Smashing Axe
    m4davis
    Collage
    Baltika9
    ScubaV
    Urist McLurker
    Kipeci
    Kattze

A 8
    Anabanana
    Tome
    Esquilax
    Newcomer
    Bloodshifter
    Storyfag
    Oscar
    Tigranes

Current tally for Treave to not die sorting through our spat
    *may be incorrect if anyone flopped or I may have missed 1 or 2 would like a second count*

Also I am with Anabanana wtf is up with making every guy your bro? Theseus LITERALLY came out of no where and was like "WTF MAN DON'T TOUCH MAH BITCH' more or less does every dude who yells at our Immortal instantly become a bro also As Treave said

Theseus IS NOT AN IMMORTAL BRO killing alot of the reasons you B'ers wanted to support this man thus we can't take him under our wing and do a three some with him, us, and Sekhenun

^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Anabanana: Comparing Theseus to the handmaiden at Aphrodite's doesn't work. First, she actively tried to sell us into slavery. Second, she was also someone that we had no allegiance or obligation to. The situation at Cyprus was sort of thrust upon us, we were reacting to events as they presented themselves.

Theseus is different. We manipulated him into this situation through the love potion, then we allied ourselves with him to help us get our artifact. He became a 'bro' character the moment we made an agreement to join with him. We made no such agreement with the chief handmaiden - in fact, she acted pretty horribly toward Ean because she was willing to sell him into slavery at the drop of a hat.

Now we'll be leaving him to die even though we actively put him in this situation by throwing off his mental focus. The difference between the handmaiden and Theseus is night and day because we engineered things to the point where they are now, whereas we were kind of swept up in events and things were (mostly) out of our control with the handmaiden and her entourage.

Trying to present it any other way is just rationalization if you ask me.

That being said, I've flopped to A after mulling it over a bit. As much as I hate the idea of leaving behind a strong and noble individual like Theseus to die (truly, a man like Theseus is the best humanity has to offer), I don't see any other choice. The bottom line is that I don't fancy being out of commission for a millennium and there are times when honor has to compromised because the real world is a cruel place. Ean is an idealist, and he's just experienced the crushing reality of your ideals dying. You can't always be honorable and succeed.

^ Top  
  25. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Esquilax: What I meant with the Theseus is on the handmaiden level of bro-ness was mostly that he isn't our bro like the handmaiden isn't our bro. It's different degrees of non-bro-ness, but they're both non-bros nonetheless. Should've made that clearer. From our actions, it feels more like Theseus is our pawn that we're using to get the artifact, not a comrade, what with manipulating him via love potion and so on.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.