Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Ah, so that's why the Masters would hunt us for this transgression. In the beginning of this chronicle, treave told us:

It's reasonable to assume that the Masters grant certain humans immortality because should one of them go rogue and start opposing them, revoking those powers is very easy. Now that our powers are bound to ourselves, we're harder to control, and thus a liability to the Masters.

By the way, I like your idea the best, however, I would like to see if something somewhat similar is possible. treave, right now, Theseus is holding the Honorblade. This blade contains the last embers of Ean's consciousness. Ean's psionic powers are still primitive, but would we be able to convince the voices to give us aid in possessing Theseus' body? Back in Tjaru, the voices gave us a boost in our telekinetic abilities to defeat Baran, could they do something similar here to transfer our consciousness into Theseus' body?

It's clear to me that right now Ean, even at his peak, is not powerful enough to take on both the Gieloth and the Masters. We need at least a thousand years or so to marshal our strength. Worse than that, I don't fancy turning into Akachi either. For now, I would prefer the voices to guide us from afar rather than be a part of us - it's too dangerous.

^ Top  
  2. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    IF this is possible, I change my vote to this.

^ Top  
  3. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A

Let's eat everyone who isn't a bro. Starting with Theseus.

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Oh no, Theseus will have left the Labyrinth long before you recover should you pick A. He left Anbar-Shi in your neck. Even if you revive there's still the matter healing your shattered body.

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A is the in-character choice for Ean, because, no matter what, he's not the type to lay down and die. I know that the A-sayers are pissed at us stupid bitches for trusting Theseus, but, hey, what's done is done, no need whining about it. Ean has just been taught two important lessons in life: bros before hos, and hos before un-bros; and most men are not your bros.

Now, regarding A: best case scenario, we survive without great penalties and gain a nifty new Lord Sector Hax ability to destroy other immortals, and lead mankind into a noblebright future, all the while fighting our corrupt masters and the inhuman gieloth.
    Worst case scenario, our hunger becomes an overpowering influence, forcing us to shed any sense of honor, dignity and sanity and exist to feed our hunger. We shall become an intergalactic horror, devouring not just souls, but entire worlds in our wake, a-la C'tan.

And, try as I might, i'm not seeing any downsides to this. One thing's clear, though, is that Ean will no longer be a wide-eyed naive idealist. Surprise, death changes people. Besides, broken leash and all that.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Also, treavebro, this is one of the best Lp's i read on the 'Dex, excluding root's WH42K.

:brodex: :hero: to you, bro.

^ Top  
  7. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  8. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Masterfully done treave.
    :bro:

I'm going A. I don't want Ean's tale to end just yet nor do I think he would give up so easily himself. I'm also intrigued by the character development this would likely introduce. Ean will probably become a much darker character, struggling between his innate desire to do what is right and a hunger to devour that most people are anticipating (and I agree). Even if he gains mastery over this hunger or somehow cures it, Theseus's betrayal will have a profound effect.

I don't think this will be all bad either, as Smashing Axe and Esquilax suggested if/once we revive we will probably be our own master in control of our own powers. Increased attention from and encounters with the Masters and Gieloth will serve to grow our powers even higher if we can tackle the increased challenges.

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And besides that, no one said that the increased attention from he Gieloth will be necessarily a bad thing.

^ Top  
  10. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Fortunately the Masters seem incapable of entering Holy Terra right now. Remember how Naram was trying to bring Horus back with the Scepter of Ra? We're safe from the Masters for now. The other immortals though...

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Will feed our power. I have a strong feeling that we'll end up only being able to become stronger through feeding on other, powerful creatures. Meaning immortals and gieloth.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Ahh, the good old days of DEVOUR SOUL!

^ Top  
  13. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    I still don't get what a hell happened with Theseus there. Treave, we didn't tell him anything about our real goal here, did we (the statue, recovering powers and so on)? So, how was he supposed to know what Ean wanted when he just said “…statuette.” He probably thought Ean was beyond any help. On the other hand, if we didn't tell him anything about the statue, then what's with his apparent struggle to do the right thing - how did he even know there was something else he could do?

^ Top  
  14. GameOver Educated

GameOver
    In what way is devouring voices in your head dishonorable? Anyways, I go with A.

He probably felt guilty about stabbing you, ending your life rather than trying to help you. I don't know about you but if someone were even near death and I stabbed them in the neck, I would feel guilty and apologize.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You...are actually right. He may still be a bro, but just maybe. He still killed us because of his "love" (guy never heard of AWALT, eh?), so he might as well have stabbed us in the back (neck).

Actually, since Ariadne is a human-gieloth hybrid, knowing that he's getting tentacle-raped is vengeance enough for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    B
    The root lp serves as a good warning to what will happen if we choose A. Let's start over, perhaps in Carthage.

^ Top  
  17. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
    If we choose to lay down and die I'am pretty sure thats the end no restarting as anything game over

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Bros, I just had a thought: in root's Lp we failed by doing the right thing. How about this time we succeed by doing the wrong thing, eh?
    Or at least the morally dubious thing.

^ Top  
  19. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    I'm under the impression that Treave will have us play a new imortal with perhaps a poll to determine he or she's starting location.

^ Top  
  20. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
    he never said anything about starting over as anyone if your making decisions please make them under the assumption this is the only chance where going to get

^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Uh, what LP were you reading? In the one I read, we failed by going full retard and giving in completely to DEVOUR SOUL!!! on everything. I read the whole thing again a few months ago, by far the dumbest decision there was betraying The Deceiver and allying ourselves with Tzeentch. The ending was catastrophic even by the standards of a root LP.

It's looking like we're going to vote A, but we must be as judicious as possible in our hunger, only using it when we absolutely need to feed on an immortal of some sort. I would argue at this point that we can't function as a champion of Humanity any more, because our hunger will always supersede our commitment to mankind. If we continue with Ean, it will be a classic example of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

I don't see why it wouldn't. We have no idea about the overall conflict in the story and we're not even 400 years into a story that the GM said would take us hundreds of years from the present day. There are so many questions left unanswered.

Overall, Ean had a good run. He did a lot of great things in Egypt and most of the choices we made were solid, but you only get to fuck up once.

^ Top  
  22. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    There has as yet been no mention of any permanent hunger curse / addition or anything like that. There might be one as a consequence, but we don't know that at this point.

^ Top  
  23. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    In CYOA's that predated this one such Root's or Curufinwe's when a massive fuckup leading to death occurs they're both nice enough to let the codex play as someone else. I think it's a reasonable assumption to think Treave will do the same.
    treave, will we play another immortal if B wins?

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Theseus knows of your fake sob story, you told him just in case. If things were different he'd have fetched it for you. But alas, Ariadne is a bigger priority. And I'll offer a choice of immortals should Ean kick the bucket here.

^ Top  
  25. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Aphrodite, anyone? :troll:

That said, I'm more interested in playing as Ean, the story seems more promising & EPIC than choosing to cleanse our "honorable" mistakes by death

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.