Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
It's clear to me that right now Ean, even at his peak, is not powerful enough to take on both the Gieloth and the Masters.

Fortunately the Masters seem incapable of entering Holy Terra right now. Remember how Naram was trying to bring Horus back with the Scepter of Ra? We're safe from the Masters for now. The other immortals though...

Baltika9

Arcane
It's clear to me that right now Ean, even at his peak, is not powerful enough to take on both the Gieloth and the Masters.

Fortunately the Masters seem incapable of entering Holy Terra right now. Remember how Naram was trying to bring Horus back with the Scepter of Ra? We're safe from the Masters for now. The other immortals though...
Will feed our power. I have a strong feeling that we'll end up only being able to become stronger through feeding on other, powerful creatures. Meaning immortals and gieloth.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Will feed our power. I have a strong feeling that we'll end up only being able to become stronger through feeding on other, powerful creatures. Meaning immortals and gieloth.

Ahh, the good old days of DEVOUR SOUL!

I still don't get what a hell happened with Theseus there. Treave, we didn't tell him anything about our real goal here, did we (the statue, recovering powers and so on)? So, how was he supposed to know what Ean wanted when he just said “…statuette.” He probably thought Ean was beyond any help. On the other hand, if we didn't tell him anything about the statue, then what's with his apparent struggle to do the right thing - how did he even know there was something else he could do?

GameOver

Educated
Fuck this shit, man. I told you all again and again to choose A, but noooooooo you decided that Theseus was a bro when it was clear all along that he was just thinking with dick. Let's kill Ean off, maybe we'll get to play as Sekhenum or something this time. Which means I choose B, the honorable, in character choice for Ean. Wasn't this exactly what certain proponents of A were looking for? A fitting end for this LP? It seems stupid to go with B because of honor, and then choosing an action that completely renders that choice meaningless.

In what way is devouring voices in your head dishonorable? Anyways, I go with A.

He probably felt guilty about stabbing you, ending your life rather than trying to help you. I don't know about you but if someone were even near death and I stabbed them in the neck, I would feel guilty and apologize.

Baltika9

Arcane
You...are actually right. He may still be a bro, but just maybe. He still killed us because of his "love" (guy never heard of AWALT, eh?), so he might as well have stabbed us in the back (neck).

Actually, since Ariadne is a human-gieloth hybrid, knowing that he's getting tentacle-raped is vengeance enough for me.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
B
The root lp serves as a good warning to what will happen if we choose A. Let's start over, perhaps in Carthage.

Baltika9

Arcane
Bros, I just had a thought: in root's Lp we failed by doing the right thing. How about this time we succeed by doing the wrong thing, eh?
Or at least the morally dubious thing.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
B
The root lp serves as a good warning to what will happen if we choose A. Let's start over, perhaps in Carthage.
If we choose to lay down and die I'am pretty sure thats the end no restarting as anything game over
I'm under the impression that Treave will have us play a new imortal with perhaps a poll to determine he or she's starting location.

m4davis

Scholar
B
If we choose to lay down and die I'am pretty sure thats the end no restarting as anything game over
I'm under the impression that Treave will have us play a new imortal with perhaps a poll to determine he or she's starting location.
he never said anything about starting over as anyone if your making decisions please make them under the assumption this is the only chance where going to get

Esquilax

Arcane
Bros, I just had a thought: in root's Lp we failed by doing the right thing. How about this time we succeed by doing the wrong thing, eh?
Or at least the morally dubious thing.

Uh, what LP were you reading? In the one I read, we failed by going full retard and giving in completely to DEVOUR SOUL!!! on everything. I read the whole thing again a few months ago, by far the dumbest decision there was betraying The Deceiver and allying ourselves with Tzeentch. The ending was catastrophic even by the standards of a root LP.

It's looking like we're going to vote A, but we must be as judicious as possible in our hunger, only using it when we absolutely need to feed on an immortal of some sort. I would argue at this point that we can't function as a champion of Humanity any more, because our hunger will always supersede our commitment to mankind. If we continue with Ean, it will be a classic example of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

he never said anything about starting over as anyone if your making decisions please make them under the assumption this is the only chance where going to get

I don't see why it wouldn't. We have no idea about the overall conflict in the story and we're not even 400 years into a story that the GM said would take us hundreds of years from the present day. There are so many questions left unanswered.

Overall, Ean had a good run. He did a lot of great things in Egypt and most of the choices we made were solid, but you only get to fuck up once.

There has as yet been no mention of any permanent hunger curse / addition or anything like that. There might be one as a consequence, but we don't know that at this point.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
In CYOA's that predated this one such Root's or Curufinwe's when a massive fuckup leading to death occurs they're both nice enough to let the codex play as someone else. I think it's a reasonable assumption to think Treave will do the same.
treave, will we play another immortal if B wins?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Theseus knows of your fake sob story, you told him just in case. If things were different he'd have fetched it for you. But alas, Ariadne is a bigger priority. And I'll offer a choice of immortals should Ean kick the bucket here.

newcomer

Learned
Theseus knows of your fake sob story, you told him just in case. If things were different he'd have fetched it for you. But alas, Ariadne is a bigger priority. And I'll offer a choice of immortals should Ean kick the bucket here.

Aphrodite, anyone? :troll:

That said, I'm more interested in playing as Ean, the story seems more promising & EPIC than choosing to cleanse our "honorable" mistakes by death

oscar

Arcane
B. Seems fitting for Ean to die untarnished rather than become a monster.

newcomer

Learned
Cmon guys, choose A and get a chance to be THE ONLY ONE! +1 to DEVOUR SOUL ability

Kipeci

Arcane
A.

It might not be too late for engaging in :mhd: with Sekhenun! We need to get laid by an alien horror at least once before admitting defeat. This goal would have been easier if we'd kept her head in a jar, though.

oscar

Arcane
Will these new guys be a lot weaker in powers than Ean, Shulgi and Naram? What about any more experienced Eastern or European immortals?

Baltika9

Arcane
What with the B's this time around? Ean is not the type to just lay down and die. Every time Life and Circumstance lined up their tranny shafts to double screw them in the ass, he always punched them in the jaw, flipped them over and said "You're the ones getting screwed today!" So long as there is a way to get back up, Ean will do it (Fall down seven times, get up eight, for he who does not rise is dead.) The whole B "I'm too tired, waaaah, I'm not needed, waaah, the world is a cruel place, humanity is not worth it and filled with bastards, waaaaaaah! ...sniff" is gay emo bullshit and you bros know it. That's not Ean, that's a spoiled little prom queen that got stood up for her date.

P.S.: You people telling me that playing as an immortal potato, or a skank #1589 from a backwater island is more interesting than playing a noble hero that REFUSES to give up his faith in mankind even unto death and betrayal, and will be morally conflicted as to his hunger and his desire to help and raise mankind from the ashes? To learn what can change the nature of a monster? Skyway is indeed right, then, when he said the Kodex Kool Klub is declined.
:decline:

Edit: and it's not like Ean is doing it against the voices' wills. We are being given this option because we are Ean, because we're a pretty cool guy, who has the guts to disobey the masters and carve our own path, not on a mountain of corpses, but through good and noble deeds, even if they don't always succeed. It's the same situation as with the Honorblade. We were given it because of our noble conduct. Now, again because of it, we are given a second chance. See, being a good guy does pay off.
:smug:

oscar

Arcane
While we can only speculate as to nature of 'life' if we accept this, we risk Ean (who so far has been a charmingly Ned Stark, ''Honour before Reason' character) becoming some sort of monster. At best a benevolent Ventrue type who tries to take some care of his cattle while simultaneously feeding off them. At worst a shambling cosmic monstrosity.

Esquilax

Arcane
Baltika9: Ean is a really interesting character, and if we play as someone else, I'll be sad because I was really invested in the nobility of his cause. I find Shulgi pretty compelling, being that he is a scholar who's probably amassed a lot of knowledge about the universe and the intergalactic conflict at the center of this LP, but the whole scheming chessmaster thing he's got going on doesn't do much for me.

A will win, so it makes no difference anyways, but my rationale for voting B is that I believe that Ean is a tragic hero. That's why we've been so invested in his struggle, his greatest virtue is also his downfall. I believe that there is simply no way we can succeed in the long-term here. It just won't happen. For fuck's sake, we couldn't get our powers now, what makes you think managing the side effects of this resurrection will make things at all easier? It will only make things harder.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and I think that if Ean chooses to live, he'll only bring darkness and pain on the human race. I can't envision a single scenario where this will all lead to a happy ending. At this point, the kindest thing he can do is die and hope that another immortal can take up his cause.

However, seeing as A will get picked, I propose that we put anything related to helping humanity as a whole on hiatus for however long it takes. You can't expect a drug addict to take care of his family, and you can't expect Ean to guide humanity into a bright future while he has to battle with some cosmic curse that threatens to turn him into a horrific monstrosity. This procedure is going to have serious effects on us, and we need to find the nature of this condition and whether or not we can ever go back to normal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom