Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If there is any lesson to be learned from the tragic tale of Marius Hax, it is this: power that is granted to you cannot be trusted. Power that you take for yourself... that is power that will serve.

^ Top  
  2. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Doesn't that means we have got rid of the "power that is granted" (voice) and get our own?
    Well, let's ask Sekehnum first about that

^ Top  
  3. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Huh. I thought it was "When even a soul devouring artifact thinks you are feeding too much, you just might be overdoing it."

^ Top  
  4. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    A combination of extreme grimdark, bad flopping and people voting DEVOUR SOUL all the time. Giving in to the hunger too much destroyed us in the end.

^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Surely with Ean's abilities, if he really needed to eat some lowlifes for nourishment or survival, it would be a trivial matter to dispose of them in similar ways.

So there is no 'need' here at all. The only question is whether we WANT to have a more accelerated diet or a suppressed one.

I say B, to learn more about whether (a) we will regenerate powers at any rate without eating, (b) any side-effects from not eating, and of course Sekhenun probably can tell us more.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    B. She's right here, bros. I think we can wait for the verdict.
    A.

^ Top  
  7. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I believe there's also another more, important lesson in there as well, treave: don't become best buddies with Tzeentch when you have already made a pact with The Deceiver simply because you like Chaos better and you think Tzeentch is cool.

The highlight of Act 2 was after the horrible ending, when everyone breathed a sigh of relief because the votes had been tallied improperly... and then it turned out that the real ending was even worse than the original one. :lol:

We do need all the strength we can get, but do we need it right at this moment? Mehrune is in very close proximity to us, and Sekhenun is likely with her as well. Marduk may have twelve lieutenants, but I doubt that any one of them are going to be meeting Mehrune in what's described as a "shanty town". While there are a ton of challenges ahead of us, I'm not sure now is the right time to feed with Sekhenun likely a short distance away from us.

VOTING B

A

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Also, anyone else think that Zeus might be Shulgi? Old, powerful immortal. can plant suggestions in the minds of others. Amoral. Plus, elemental manipulation?

^ Top  
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    If anything I'd say he's more likely to be Naram since Zeus seems like he's serving the masters' cause rather than his own with this war. I wouldn't rule Shulgi out though.

It's really bizarre, but I have a strong urge to ally with Shulgi and be bro with him.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Highly possible, and it seems that he has recruited a bunch of weirdos with the same mindset (such as Aphrodite)

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Forgot Theseus already? Because Shulgi is going to be more of the same, only he'll make sure the job is done. Thoroughly. He's not a closet bro. He's Tzeentch in the making. He's Machiavelli.

^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Shulgi might have changed since the time we knew him, albeit with the same goal of independence and dominion. He's not necessarily pure evil and his defeats may have cured his egomania, just as much as they may have enhanced it.

Just look at what Ean's triumphs and failures have done to him.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I guess we'll have to see. But, this war shit has got to stop. If it doesn't, it may have a "domino effect."

^ Top  
  14. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    As things stand I see us eventually becoming a more benevolent Hannibal Lecter, who feeds on the dregs of society that might bring humanity low, whilst guarding and guiding it from alien influence. I know we wanted traditional hero, but practical anti-hero is the only way I see us successfully going from here.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Speaking of ancient gods and Sumerian stuff, Cleve has got some awesome shit written in GD in the Enkidu/Gilgamesh thread. :lol:

^ Top  
  16. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    This. This would be awesome. Still voting B for now though.

^ Top  
  17. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Emphasis mine. Based on this quote and treave's note about power at the top of the page I suspect that this hunger may be addictive, but it also may be the only way we can increase our powers. On the positive side, we are probably in full control of our abilities now and not at risk of them being taken away. Remember how the statuette now has no effect on us. We are independent of the masters.

It may almost be worth it to run our own little experiment by feeding and seeing how it affects our powers and hunger. Do they both increase? Do they wax and wane at all over time?

I think we're going to have some interesting decisions ahead. We'll have to prey on humanity if we're going to save it. Who we eat and how far we go is up to us.

^ Top  
  18. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    B, if there's no pressing need, refrain from cannibalism. Maybe when we get to know this hunger better, we can sublimate it, or at least we'll be better justified when gorging.. :M

^ Top  
  19. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    A eat we need power after being bro'ed in the back by Theseus

^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'm more interested in seeing how Gieloth and immortals will affect our diet. Treavbro, I'd very much like it if Ean asked that question.

This is how I imagine it: "Ololol, remember how I made you stop eating my kind? What happens if I eat yours?" And then morph a trollface.

^ Top  
  21. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    A - better to feed now than to be overcome by hunger and feed on a random dude like in the fight before.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    B - We are so close to answers. Let's talk to Sekhenum and devour souls after that if it's necessary. Also I think it would draw too much attention to us if we were to eat in broad daylight.

^ Top  
  23. Computer Gamer Refugee Learned

Computer Gamer Refugee
    Project: Eternity
    VOTE A) "A beast I am lest a beast I become."

Seriously, we are not even at Chuck Norris standards now. Right now if we meet even a minior Gelioth we might get messed up. We need a power-up.

We chose the "eat souls to become stronger" path, now we get to walk it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Wise words to remember. I've flopped my original post. A recurring theme in the previous chapter was Ean's noble intentions blowing up in his face. He saved Theseus to make amends for manipulating Ariadne with the love potion, but in the end it resulted in a war, Sekhenun's departure, and Phaedra's death. Now that Ean is a bit wiser from his trauma, I think he sees the long view in these situations and isn't blinded by his idealism any more (even though in his heart, I think Ean will always be an idealist).

This hunger of ours drives us to do some pretty terrible things. However, trying to avoid doing these things entirely will end up being far worse in the long run. If we try to be completely noble by starving ourselves, I think we might end up worse off than we would by feeding in moderation.

These guys were a bunch of cowardly thugs, but what if we lose control next time on some innocent people? We won't always have the luxury of choosing our victims like this. I've said it before, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

We know that Mehrune is in town, and even though this is a shit town, I am pretty certain that a prominent Egyptian dignitary on the first diplomatic trip to Sumeria in nearly a century will probably end up meeting one of Marduk's twelve Gieloth lieutenants in the very near future. When that time comes (and it'll come soon) we've got to be ready to take him out quickly so Marduk still has no idea we're here.

^ Top  
  25. m4davis Scholar

m4davis

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.