Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Any of you bros think that the artifact is a red herring? If there was another artifact like this in Heliopolis, maybe this thing is worthless.

If finding Sekhenun is difficult, then I suppose the alternative is to have Sekhenun come to us. Tracking her will probably be very difficult, but maybe causing a huge stir in Greece under the mantle of Runi will work as well. If we find a dead end in Egypt, no leads, then I think that the next best thing would be to pledge service to the pharaoh (Akil's grandson) and attack Greece. Once word of our deeds gets around, using our old name will let her know that we're still alive.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    I like this plan. Here's to hoping it will be a future choice.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    In that case, starving ourselves will not be prudent. We want fast results, we'll have to compromise.

^ Top  
  4. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Sounds like a plan to me. Voting B.

Also let's rebuild the Honourblade the first chance we get - the old one was probably destroyed when we consumed the voices (they were in the blade at that time). Something tells me we will need every edge we can get.

And what's wrong with that asshole Theseus? I can sort of understand him mercykilling us instead of finding the artifact - he simply had no idea what we wanted with it and thought we were dying in pain. Not a bro behavior at all after we saved his ass from the Minotaur, but not really asking for a payback either. But why the fuck kill princess Phaedra after that?

^ Top  
  5. Collage Educated

Collage
    This is the most sensible option. I like the idea of investing more in Egypt as well.

Earlier I wanted to move towards Europe with a long-term strategy for empire building, but I feel our recent... hunger has mostly ruled that out. Becoming God-Emperor of mankind will have to wait.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, like I said in the beginning, the best way for this plan to work is if Ean, under the name Runi, conquers Cyprus. Runi is a common enough name in Egypt now, so a general named Runi showing up should be expected and Sekhenun is not the type to go into a warzone to investigate a coincidence. Now, once we are victorious on a couple battlefields, and raid Cyprus, "In retribution for the sins of Aphrodite" (Make that a statement upon conquest. Might as well throw in some words about our long-lost love that we met in Lady Mehrune's court or some shit like that), then she will have reason to believe that it is the real Runi.

As for empire building, if we can't fix our hunger, might as well go to the north and RP the World Serpent.

Protector of Mankind, whuzzat?
    :troll:

^ Top  
  7. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  8. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    So a gieloth is waging war agains immortals and we don't have a choice to attack the gieloth?:mob: We could end the whole war in an instant and save a lot of lives if we were to sneak back to the palace and end Minos reign.

But with these choices, B.

^ Top  
  9. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Yeah I have a sneaking suspicion that we are Anbar-Shi in a sense. Daedalus doesn't have it according to treave. Theseus can't have it because according to the voices we were only able to revive because the sword was still in our body. No one else should have been down in the labyrinth. Based on the conversation with the voices it seems like Anbar-Shi contained the last vestige of our consciousness. By consuming the voices we transferred that consciousness to our dead body and revived it. In doing so we absorbed the sword (it was, after all, made from a rib of ours). Or so my theory goes.

I wonder then if we will eventually get back to pre-earthquake strength or only to what the sword was capable of? And if we make a new sword, would its stats be reset or pick up where the original Anbar-Shi left off (since it was supposed to "level up" with us)?

As for the current vote: B.

^ Top  
  10. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  11. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    B

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Will we ever get to late-game power levels, I wonder :oops:

Yeah, my bet is that we are Anbar-Shi, and with the statuette, there's nothing critical awaiting us in Cyprus. I'd say A for now, since there's no guarantee we'll be able to get any command in Egypt, but leading an army is surely the best way for Ean to get some momentum going and influence.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    On a side note, if Zeus really is a mester, I wonder if he came here because of Ean?

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    B has the win here.

Chapter 4.12: Mehrune’s Whereabouts

There was nothing for you in Greece for now; your best bet was still to track down Sekhenun and complete your bargain with her. Offering to work, you manage to get onboard a cargo vessel on its way back to Egypt, one of many that now frequently ply the Mediterranean as part of Egypt’s ongoing involvement with the war in Greece. The journey itself takes only ten days, as the large ship did not need to stop by any ports to rest. Soon, you were back in Pikuat.

Egypt was as lively as you had left it. Despite the war, the populace seemed mostly unconcerned. The fighting was taking place on the other side of the sea, far enough that it did not concern most of the people. Although the Egyptians had allied with Minos, they were careful enough to commit only what they could afford to lose. You begin searching for information on Mehrune’s current location, and if her chief-handmaiden had been replaced in the past year or so; a possibility that you can’t rule out.

It is in Heliopolis that you get your answer: Mehrune is currently in Babylonia. Her strange success in opening a diplomatic channel (strange, as her attitude certainly wasn’t diplomatic as far as you were concerned) with Crete had elevated her social standing quite highly, and she had been dispatched to Sumer almost a month ago in an attempt to feel out the intentions of the God-King of Babylon, who had not directed any hostile actions towards Egypt for more than half a century. The servants at her residence confirm, somewhat surprisingly to you, that a girl named Sekhe was still the chief handmaiden when Mehrune left. Sekhenun probably had another reason for getting close to Mehrune besides helping you out, if she didn’t ditch the cold bitch the moment you vanished in the Labyrinth.

You are still able to access the Gieloth’s communications, but the only new things you learn about Babylon are that Marduk has successfully conquered the Indus Valley, extending their empire further than any Sumerian kingdom has ever had, and that this was against the wishes of the Gieloth residing in the south of the great continent to the west. They appear to have changed their plans due to this and are now attempting to reestablish their influence in the eastern most kingdoms beyond the Indus.
    It looks like travelling back to Egypt only gave you more options to ponder over.

A. You follow Mehrune’s trail to Sumeria. Sure, you might be stepping into the domain of Marduk, but there is a high chance of Sekhenun being there. You do have a deal with her after all, and she is the only one you know who can unlock the powers of the statuette.

B. Mehrune will surely head back to Egypt after her work in Sumeria is done, and Sekhenun with her. You decide to remain in Egypt and wait.
    1) You resume your previous activities of bandit-slaying and general do-gooding. You don’t plan on drawing any attention to yourself at all, and it would be good practice for getting you back into fighting shape.
    2) You sign up with the Egyptians as a soldier under another assumed persona. The myth of Runi is well left alone; there might be court politics should you reveal yourself, with power-hungry advisors seeking to use your name for their own purposes. Best to serve quietly.
    3) It has not been so long that your persona of Runi is a faint memory. Certainly there are living men today whose fathers have fought alongside you in battle. You declare your return publicly in service to Akil’s dynasty. This will give you more influence over how Egypt will act – you are after all worshipped as a demigod.

C. You bounce back to Greece now that you’ve discerned Mehrune’s location and the condition of Egypt. Joining the Egyptians would mean you take sides against the Greeks, and you want to find out their side of the story before committing to action. Besides, any side that has an entire pantheon on their side will probably end up the winning side... and the Egyptians have no real gods on theirs.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    A - Let's be cautious, quiet and inconspicuous, we should be able to succeed.

Edit: Alternatively we could hunt bandits and feed on them, might return some of our strength.

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A.

Well then, I guess that means we will...

just have to give them one.:yeah:

^ Top  
  17. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I thought about this, but couldn't we just as easily feed off Babylonians? Besides, if things go awry in Babylon, we may not get another chance to meet Sekhenun again. I'd rather get her diagnosis on our condition before we start going all DEVOUR SOUL!!! on everyone. If the statuette isn't a red herring, we might be able to get some control over our condition with her help. I'm certainly glad we were able to find information on her whereabouts.

Declaring ourselves as God-Emperor of Egypt right now is a bad idea, there'd be too much political backstabbing and a lot of people won't believe us. It's important to remember that Runi arose during a time of great turmoil in Egypt, so unless Zeus starts to assault the Delta, we shouldn't reveal ourselves.

People are safe, comfortable, and happy. They don't want to rock the boat. It isn't time for a great hero to rise in Egypt again.

... Actually, fuck it, I'm lying. The real reason I want to go to Babylon is because conquering the Indus Valley and becoming God-King Andhaira is too good to pass up.

A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    I am convinced. A.

^ Top  
  19. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Guess the Gieloth are playing EU3 with the world.

I agree there's good sense for A, but man, we've been moving and moving and only learning just enough to move some more - as I say, we really need to get a groove going and shape up our powers, etc. 2C would be pretty unwise at the moment, but A could land us in big trouble with Marduk, and possibly with the statuette turning out to be a trick from our favourite Gieloth.

Before we vote though, treave - just what exactly is the current status of Ean's powers? His hunger; his martial and physical prowess; his extrahuman powers like mind-reading; etc.

^ Top  
  20. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Yeah, isn't it about time for another interlude? We didn't have one since the end of chapter two.

Also, voting A.

All B options sound like fun (and B1 could probably also give us enough downtime to rebuild the Honourblade), but we did go to Egypt to find Sekhenun, so let's do that first. But let's try to stay away from Marduk if at all possible.

^ Top  
  21. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You missed out on one in Chapter Three because there wasn't much point in making one - depowered. You'll find out more about the hunger as the story progresses. Suffice to say it's not too serious a problem yet. Also, you'll notice that you are weaker than before, and you can no longer rely on the passage of time to continue granting new powers. Without the voices, the mechanics have changed.

Ean, Reawakened Immortal
    circa 1900 B.C.

Physical capabilities:

Above peak human capability. Able to wrestle bulls to the ground and run as fast as a deer.

Esoteric powers:

Telepathy – can read emotions from a distance, depending on the intensity and mental strength of the subject. Intentions can be understood in close proximity.

Telekinesis – able to rattle, knock around and levitate objects. The concentration required to use this power precludes the use of any other mental abilities at the same time.

Body manipulation – has developed the ability to control slight changes, such as little wrinkles, slightly differently shaped eyes, hair colour, and other minute modifications to the body.

Elemental manipulation – can perform minor manipulation of fire. The concentration required to use this power precludes the use of any other mental abilities at the same time.

Psionics - able to scramble a person's mind with prolonged physical contact, leaving them in a catatonic state. The concentration required to use this power precludes the use of any other mental abilities at the same time.

Regeneration ability:

Low. Small cuts can fully heal in hours, while more serious wounds may take weeks. Missing parts can take years to recover, depending on the complexity and size of the part.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    +1 on snacking on our way to Babylon, Babylonians or bandits. As I said before, if we want results quickly, we'll have to compromise. Right now, we're heading to a rather powerful Gieloth, who, if I recall correctly, wanted to do some nasty things to our unconscious body. Going there gimped does not sound like a good idea to me.

As for tricks, this whole thing might have been a trick by Sekhenun from the beginning. Think about it: she's an exiled gieloth, Marduk is a rogue gieloth. She is focused on personal survival, and right now Ean is probably less important to her then her life. So, she plays an extremely honorable and idealistic immortal to help her get an artifact (whose purpose we still don't know, by the way, it could be literally anything, even a gieloth creation by Minos) which she will later present to the rogue Marduk, who, by the by, has an Empire where he is God. A theory, one that I hope is wrong. Just, let's be on our guard, bros. Remember, half of us thought Theseus was bro, too.

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Treavebro, that guard we ate at the Tower. Did Ean retain any of his memories. I just want to know if it works that way.

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Oh, about Theseus - here's some plot info that you would've gotten had you stuck around in Greece:

Ariadne fed a love potion (provided by Aphrodite, of course) to Theseus.
    You (or rather, Sekhenun) fed a love potion to both Ariadne and Phaedra.
    Phaedra blames Ariadne's bewitching of Theseus for your death, and attempts to avenge you by killing her sister.
    Theseus kills Phaedra to save Ariadne.
    Ariadne leaves with Theseus.

Of course later they stop on an island and some shit happens that breaks Theseus's spell and he is tempted to leave her but since he's already killed Phaedra, he decides abandoning another sister won't solve anything, and so, taking responsibility for Ariadne, brings her all the way to where she is now in Athens.

And then Minos gets huffy and starts a war, primarily over the death of his daughter, and since Theseus is unwilling to give up his cushy throne in Athens to submit to Minos's judgement or to return Ariadne (who doesn't want to go back, but Minos doesn't know that).

edit: No, you don't get people's memories by consuming them. It works on a more visceral level.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.