Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
not sure if I'm gonna buy any m21 packs, the only rare I want is scooze. Think jumpstart is gonna be priced reasonably, or high like cube?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
No hidden hook, no stealth nerfs to the economy, just new features which are very much welcome. Could it be Wotc is ... learning?

yea dude lmao I usually dread these and expect some BS now I'm starting to think that they made this one nice so they can pull some shit next month

Think jumpstart is gonna be priced reasonably, or high like cube?

my hope is for 2k gold you get your two jumpstart packs and entry into the jumpstart event but my WOTC senses say they probably wouldn't charge less than 5k gold for this. it'd be so cool though to have a limited event that costs less than quick draft

anyway new state of game is out and it's actually pretty damn good:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-june-2020-06-23

dupe protection on reprint rares, free brawl forever (not historic tho wtf fuck u wotc i wanna play with dinos :mad::mad::mad:), jumpstart's gonna be a sweet limited format, amontheprhetmotkoekmonthet remaster in august.. actually i think this may be the first 'state of the game' they've ever done that hasn't had anything to really piss people off
PRAISE JESUS on the dupe protection on reprint rares. I'm really fucking damn glad I'm not going to get more fucking temples immediately after getting tons of temples already. Yeah yeah I know, they could be there for limited or whatever, but reprinting rare lands just a set or two after you reprinted them into standard already is a big fucking kick in the dick, as opposed to reprinting Shock in back to back sets or whatever. Also a mild kick in the dick that alternate art will break the duplicate protection, but that covers the temples/fabled passage situation here at least. But it's nice that the duplicate protection is up to four, so I currently own 2 Fabled Passage so I could pull two from M21 and then I'd be protected after that.

Also glad on free brawl forever (I basically never fucking play brawl anyway but it's nice that the option's going to continue being there) and it remains to be seen how I'll feel about the Egypt remaster. Also depends on how they handle it. If it's a lump sum price like a historic anthology or packs with a smaller card pool or what. They're saying 300+ cards, but I don't know if they're being weird and including 4x of everything into that total. PROBABLY not but I'm unsure what a "Remastered set" will really mean.

Also should be interesting to see where standard goes once we lose shocklands and War of the Spark so no more 3feri and Narset.

I'm rather interested on how the remaster will look like. They say its 300 new cards for historic, and the original set should be ~270,
so they either added a bunch of stuff, or glued two sets together, which means we'll be losing a whole bunch of cards in the process.
I hadn't thought of that, you're probably right. They've got Hour of Devastation and Armohpoaet so they're probably just making a combined set. Supposedly they are cutting draft chaff since they mentioned a while back (Can't even remember if it was 2020 or 2019) their general strategy for adding actual new sets to historic wasn't going to be to add the sets whole-cloth, but rather a "Greatest hits". So they could be taking the roughly 500 card total of the two sets combined and trimming it down to 300 by removing reprints and shit just so that people are slightly more tempted to buy historic-only boosters.

not sure if I'm gonna buy any m21 packs, the only rare I want is scooze. Think jumpstart is gonna be priced reasonably, or high like cube?
I'm probably going to be a cheap fucker on M21 as well. I didn't buy any Ikoria packs, I got my reward track packs and I did a draft and called that good enough, and I'm back up to around 150,000 gold now after buying historic anthology 2 and 3. I haven't looked at all the M21 spoilers but I'm feeling like I may go light on it too, and just craft a few cards. I dunno, I'll see. Since I've been having more fun playing historic anyway that's another reason for me to continue being cheap. Fucking hope it isn't expensive like cube, I'm alright with cube being a phantom draft but it chaps my ass it's not even cheaper than it is. Make it like a quarter of the price of a regular draft since it's just for fun you bastards. :argh:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also glad on free brawl forever (I basically never fucking play brawl anyway but it's nice that the option's going to continue being there)

I recommend Brawl to all our F2P friends here. You can absolve all quests there you could finish in constructed, and decks tend to be much cheaper since you dont need playsets of the strong rares and mythics, only singles. The decks overall use much more uncommons and even some commons and are way cheaper. That and the format is just plain fun.

For Core I will just take my 10.000 gems to sealed and play until either two months have passed or I have blown all my cash. I am reasonably good at all limited formats, so I usually end at 5.000 gems and a big collection after that, which is enough to save up to 10k for the next expansion.
Sometimes I bust completely like in THB and have to spend real money (fuck Theros draft environment in particular), sometimes I ace the format and end up net positive like in Ikoria.

Last edited:
I recommend Brawl to all our F2P friends here. You can absolve all quests there you could finish in limited, and decks tend to be much cheaper since you dont need playsets of the strong rares and mythics, only singles. The decks overall use much more uncommons and even some commons and are way cheaper. That and the format is just plain fun.
That's a really good point actually. I hadn't considered that, but brawl should be a lot more manageable for new players. The only disadvantage is games of brawl often end up a bit grindy and drag-assy due to singleton unless someone gets a nut draw. Which is par for the course in MTG in general, but in standard (And to a degree, heroic) decks are usually tuned enough that even slow decks will beatstick faster than brawl. Unless you're in historic and hit a T5feri wincon esper control. Guess the only disadvantage is potentially wanting to burn some wildcards on singles that you wouldn't really want to play anywhere BUT brawl.

Not really related but it came to mind, just barely slipped under the wire for maxing out the mastery pass before time ran out. Pretty fucking close, probably shouldn't have done it since that was a dud for rewards but even a bad mastery pass is probably worthwhile to me just in packs/mythic ICRs.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
i blew my wildcards on an "unpredictable cyclone" deck and it doesn't work

I told u it was shit lmao! but it's still a fun card. good thing is I think it's the type of card that'll get better and better as they add more cycling in the future.

thats what you get when you bet on non deterministic strategies

it's actually pretty predictable if you limit your cards by type you can guarantee it spawns a bigass haste godzilla or shark enchantments or you can roll dice and hope it hits an ultimatum. All the cyclone decks I've made have had this kind of goal in mind

FTxb809.jpg

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just made a "kitchen sink" deck and threw every great "uncommon" card I could find into it, and began farming wildcards, gold, and mythics that way.

It's was a while until I learned you can get something like 15 free packs from all those unlock codes (google them and put them in), but its quite possible to beat many of these overly complex decks just by playing your uncommon cards wisely.

Things that make a deck discard are a great way to annoy people and ruin decks that rely on a specific combination of cards, or have a lot of indestructible cards. Throw in plenty of removal and counter spells, and just wait until the other decks punches itself out and then you defeat them quite easily.

I normally end up on diamond tier and my deck looks like a three year old made it. Its mostly about how you play your cards until you reach the diamond tier 1 or 2.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i blew my wildcards on an "unpredictable cyclone" deck and it doesn't work
thats what you get when you bet on non deterministic strategies
it's not completely random, once the enchantment is down the gameplan is pretty solid, the problem is that you either die to damage way before the enchantment is down or they counter it and you lose

spectre

Arcane
Wake up motherlovers, M21 is up. PlayM21 works as expected.

Also, say hello to white weenie every day, all day.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Wake up motherlovers, M21 is up. PlayM21 works as expected.

I did a sealed and went 0-3 lol I thought my deck was ok (WB zombies+counters) but my first two opponents had this broken motherfucker:

en_l5xNRI3C0f.png

third opponent dropped:
en_xSkgTRTsnu.png
+
en_YfiLqOGRdS.png
+ a +1/+1 buff for a flying hexproof 7/9 shark and just bounced my board every turn with those 3/2 flying spirits ugh how do people get these broken decks in sealed :argh::argh:

Brash Taunter is complete bullshit

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Now if I only didnt have to do write more pages today to finish my deadlines.
Pour one out for me, and take a green deck to the ladder. May your pack RNG be blessed for it.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This client has more problems than a teenage girl's diary. SHEEEIT.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
my client is broken right now. Am i only one and I should reinstall whole thing or just wait?

Client is buggy as fuck, but I managed to finish the daily quests I haven't touched in a week.

I don't know what the color challenge is, but it seems like you get fucked over with a shitty deck and the other person is free to pick whatever deck they want to play.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom