Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
well, that was definitely a record on reaching plat limited. Was hoping to play more games before that happens... I guess Ill wait for reset before commiting more funds.
My gem count didnt budge(even though i went 3-0 twice). Id say key is going red-something, preferably red-black and flood game with 2-3 drop creatures.

Got a fucking 3 rare draft this early. It's a crime I tell you, A GODDAMN CRIME! Sadly the rares were wish (Shit), Zalto fire giant duke (Shit), and skeletal swarming (Amazing). And I might be a little harsh on wish when it comes to constructed, it's shit for limited but MAYBE it's okay in constructed. Have my doubts but maybe.

Id say key is going red-something, preferably red-black and flood game with 2-3 drop creatures.
Absolutely, Rakdos seems far and away the best. On one hand it's nice because it's a fun deck to play, but on the other hand the more I play of the set in limited the less thrilled I am. It's not a complete dumpster fire like WAR or Eldraine (And whichever core set had that mill enchantment) but it feels fairly linear. And to be fair Eldraine probably wouldn't be so bad if the mermaids were uncommon instead of common.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Got a fucking 3 rare draft this early
had that once... still im usually getting 5-6.

following cards are passed by bots so much that I already got 3 copies:
tiamat
treasure vault
sorcerer class
long rest
minsc
orb of dragonkind

if you want to have playset of anything form this pile id say to go crazy in draft. Myself im quite happy with treasure vault hitting 4x soon, might finally win with riches!

sadly most cards I want to own from this set are a bomb in limited, so bots will never pass them on.

following cards are passed by bots so much that I already got 3 copies:
Lucky dog, got me beat in the raredrafting department. Sorcerer class honestly sounds kinda fun to fuck around with in constructed. Doubt it's a particularly gud gittin' card but leveling it up and then spamming cantrips sounds fun. Just need some cheap shitty token generation for extra mana, maybe that goblemon party sorcery that summons 2+ the number of copies in the graveyard.

IGN's got a thing on Jumpstart Historic Horizons, paging lukaszek

Exclusive: MTG Arena’s Jumpstart: Historic Horizons Set Will Add Digital-Only Cards, Full Details Revealed - IGN

Not terribly wild about "Perpetually" and not being tokens/enchantments/etc. Seek's less egregious because "Perpetually" gets around regular mechanics of the game while seek is just a non-shuffling way to draw shit from your deck. Still not that happy about non-paper mechanics on Arena but still. And Davriel Soul Broker makes me pissy because it's a random pick-3, that's some Hearthstone or Runeterra shit there.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
e4581455-5fa1-4c96-96b3-e9e9654f5a28.jpg

The 3 rare draft went 7-1 at least, so despite the bots denying me fruitful raredrafting the commons and uncommons were juicy. Best game was against someone who drafted a ridiculously strong Selesnya lifegain deck, dude had multiple payoffs for it (That unicorn, the legendary nerd that gets tokens and lets you scry with lifegain, etc) as well as a bunch of generators like druid class, that 3cmc green dude, etc. Only reason I managed to pull out a win was because I used deadly dispute on a shambling ghast to get a couple treasures and then slammed down an earth elemental early on which made him sacrifice a land, then once he used minimus containment on the earth elemental I played skeletal swarming. The swarm didn't even do much damage since he had that 2/3 and a blink dog to infinitely kill skeletons, but rushing in shit with battle cry goblin and pumping him up whittled him down. Even with a few back breaking cards he nearly stabilized since his deck was so strong. Fun stuff.

Next draft was kinder since the bots let me take a flameskull, Iymrith blue mythic dragon, vorpal sword, sorcerer class, Oswald Fiddlebender, and book of vile darkness. :bounce:
It's a little odd how much I've been preferring limited to constructed lately. Standard 2022 is pretty good but the last few sets I've been enjoying limited quite a bit.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
It's a little odd how much I've been preferring limited to constructed lately.
for me its normal to enter long periods without constructed. Looks like with quickdraft and jumpstart back to back Ill be out for a month or so. Card hoarding always takes priority.

Doesnt help that I really hate what I face in historic right now. Got high hopes on jumpstart tipping balance back by introducing critters

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Limit has been enjoyable so far

Tho depends on my luck who knows how long it will last :M

Doktor Best

Arcane
What the fuck is this Jumpstart Historic shit. I want to play Magic Arena because its a digital platform for FUCKING MTG WITH PROPER RULES. This is beyond retarded, if i wanted to play a fully digital CCG i would be playing Runeterra. Why do they have to keep ruining good things FFS?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
What the fuck is this Jumpstart Historic shit. I want to play Magic Arena because its a digital platform for FUCKING MTG WITH PROPER RULES. This is beyond retarded, if i wanted to play a fully digital CCG i would be playing Runeterra. Why do they have to keep ruining good things FFS?
and that "perpetual" nonsense seems poorly thought out and unnecessary.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i dont care, i didnt play your card games

looks like zombies are back on menu
Diregraf-Colossus-J21-672.jpg
Dark-Salvation-J21-672.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
thinking about it, if they stop doing historic mix mega sets and go instead with jumpstart it would be better.
For me.

And perhaps for others like me - active f2p players just trying to maximise number of cards and play with weird decks.
It wont be good for whales(or streamers).
Poorfags N/A

Historic sets got bad record for me of being mostly empty.

Obviously all of this is based around jumpstart economy staying same(possibly improving if unique icrs are implemented)

Jason Liang

Arcane
Adding MH cards like Sterling Grove and Sythis to Historic is amazing, but making new exclusive cards for "historic" ruins the format for me.

Newfag-er

Liturgist
I like to also remind that Runeterra economy is way more consumer friendly. The player gave feedback to the dev and the dev listens

Adding MH cards like Sterling Grove and Sythis to Historic is amazing, but making new exclusive cards for "historic" ruins the format for me.
Pool-of-Vigorous-Growth-J21-672.jpg

you are going to miss that momir experience on real tables
Momir sends me into a foaming autistic rage but that's reasonably strong and decent. It's slow, but it also means you don't end up with dead draws once it's in play. Still PROBABLY not worth running but as an artifact rather than the worst format known to man I kinda dig it.

And just because it's funny, 7-0 rape machine. Easily the strongest deck I've ever drafted in any set, don't think a single game had me under 20 life. Closed out with a final game of turn 1 swamp and ghast, turn 2 swamp and dispute the ghast for double treasure, turn 3 swamp and Iymrith. So many bullshit ways to win it's nice to be the dirty bastard with good draft luck once in a while.

f97j22k.jpg

Newfag-er

Liturgist
I don't think I ever get past 3 wins if I went three color

Yea treasure is some strong stuff. Believe u can theory get away with three color with treasure. Never worked for me once

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Yea treasure is some strong stuff. Believe u can theory get away with three color with treasure. Never worked for me once
it cant be overstated how good treasures are in draft to fix early mana issues. Or as sac outlet. Or to pay for single off color bomb like cow did. Im suprrised you didnt put rust monster in, especially with 2x talismans

You can get away with murder with treasure in this set. With single color-pip splashes you could add some really juicy shit and go wild. Dragon's a little iffy because of 2 blue but since I got a ton of treasure I felt confident with it. In most cases I only go dual color in limited too but AFR's so treasure-rich that if you're going Rakdos then other colors are practically free in moderation.

Im suprrised you didnt put rust monster in, especially with 2x talismans
Honestly it would've been a better choice than valor singer. I'm inordinately fond of valor singer just because I like pump creatures like that and it slightly synergizes with going hard on talismans (Always put the pump on your single attacking creature so it's either smacking face for more or it's forcing your opponent to take more shit trades) but rust monster would've been almost strictly better. First strike so it's a prime talisman target with deathtouch and can potentially feed it treasure to pump for damage if need-be. Only drawbacks are it's easier to remove since it can eat 2 damage hits like improvised weapon/drop and worst of all, ghast pings. Ghast pings were my main reason not to run it.

Another decent option would be cut the vorpal sword for the rust monster which also likely would've been better. I just liked vorpal sword since it provides some of that same annoying pressure that talisman does and I thought I might be able to be cute and use treasure for the ability on it. Didn't work out that way and it was largely useless given the talismans, but that was the thought process.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
gibsmedatforfree.jpg
A free Eureka moment, Alrund's Epiphany, Elder Gargaroth and Kogla? Don't mind if I do. I took his Uro too. I drink his milkshake. I DRINK IT UP!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
had a lot of fun over last 2 days with standard all access. Sadly it wasnt standard22 but most people I faced treated it as such anyway.
Thanks to this I could go crazy with skeleton swarming+vorpal sword and bard legends decks. It will buy me some time so I can safely play more quickdrafts and jumpstart.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
spot checks shows that jumpstart packs appear to have 1 new rare and 1 existing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom