Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-to-collect-jumpstart-historic-horizons

Goldfish put together a list of what cards show up in what packs and their percentages. Handy, but it does feel like this Jumpstart will be a little harder to target certain cards than the last. Dude also did a video with his thoughts on what cards to keep your eyes peeled for, what he thinks will be big in historic, etc.

Really looking forward to playing it. Not sure I'll really play a ton of historic constructed with the cards but I had fun playing Jumpstart as itself last time so I've got high hopes this time.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
mtggoldfish list is wrong, also bloated with uncommons lol. There are spreadsheets made by autists that are much better. You can cross reference them with other autists who even rated which packs are best to grab brand new mythics/rare ratio wise

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...ric-horizons-and-mtg-arena-updates-2021-08-09
noooooo

jumpstart and server changes delayed by 2 weeks.

as we are sorry msg
F9A68yiHcFIuXafafi8JD07h3rX8CiKPb0Tr2_lWOerFK__lxY2OzbC9ww2ERaozfzYBCeiB8Cwi0QAz6Ypt699SHs_kuWv11K5JKp41-dyjw1JSlLQ29UK8jJhbKNPD0Wd5uD2qyHfFgOkJAf2E5mwZOwYMJi2KA1w

we receive h brawl anyway, along with some free premier historic drafts.

I did notice that they didnt do historic drafts in a while. Could it be that participation was terrible, so they do it this way to boost participation for those willing to pay extra?

jumpstart and server changes delayed by 2 weeks.
God damn it son of a bitch. I was going to bitch about them doing away with the double season month too, but they say we'll get double rewards. So I guess it's nice I grabbed plat on both at least, sure as hell not going to play enough for diamond. Freebie historic drafts are nice too I guess. Won't say no to some free raredrafting.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how is your ankhmunamun trove?

i had very professional pod. Snatched 9 rares, although mostly repetitions or *shite stuff. id be surprised if i snatch a single win at gold rank

PRAISE THE LORD. Was horrified to see momir was the FNM mode this week, but on the bright side I won both games on my first try and my rares were a 4th copy of Egon and a 4th copy of hobgoblin lord. Gobbo's one I genuinely wanted and Egon's pretty decent.

how is your ankhmunamun trove?
Not too bad. I pulled Leave/Chance, soul-scar mage, anger of the gods, insult/injury, shatterstorm, vizier of the menagerie, sandwurm convergence, refuse/cooperate, and Nicol Bolas god-pharaoh. Really happy about soul-scar and anger since I know those see good play in historic.
May be able to squeak a win or two with the deck I drafted too. Ended up Orzhov zombies and fliers and I've got a decent pile or removal, 2 of the "Wayward servant" zombies to make zombies ping when they ETB, Bontu's monument for more ETB pings, and unconventional tactics to make flying zombies with +3/+3 and bring it back to hand. Enough evasion and pinging I'd be surprised if I don't managed to steal at least one game with it, but I know nothing about Amonkhet limited so I could just get whacked.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
yeah i won my 1st two momir matches even though opponen planted vorinclex on me in both. The one that makes your lands not untap, basically forcing you to cast once every 2 turns.

yeah i won my 1st two momir matches even though opponen planted vorinclex on me in both. The one that makes your lands not untap, basically forcing you to cast once every 2 turns.
That'd be a rough one to get past. Almost thought I was fucked in one game since my opponent got Elesh Norn which killed my runty 2/2s I was swinging in with every turn (Had a crap generic 2/2 and then that 2/2 goblin that can tap to make a 2 power or less creature unblockable, so basically from 3 land I was swinging in for 2) and made it so I basically couldn't attack or make favorable blocks because of the buffs and debuffs, but then I rolled a flier and opponent whiffed on flying/reach. Hate momir so goddamn much.

Generic-Giant-Spider

So outside of Lolth and Drider are there no other fucking GIANT SPIDER cards in the new D&D set?

May be able to squeak a win or two with the deck I drafted too.
Wew. Apparently should've cut my lands even lower, flooded out in all 3 games and went 0/3. Already went to 15 land but that wasn't good enough, oh well. Had one dude that was on 4 land the entire game and even though his cards weren't doing much but slowly nibbling me down I finally scooped when I had 10 land in play and knew I didn't have any big shit in the deck to turn things around in a major way.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
If, like me, you don't have much time to play, this 2022 pile brought me to diamond easily:
Deck
4 Swarm Shambler (ZNR) 207
4 Tajuru Blightblade (ZNR) 208
4 Snakeskin Veil (STA) 57
4 Ranger Class (AFR) 202
4 Werewolf Pack Leader (AFR) 211
4 Decisive Denial (STX) 177
3 Blizzard Brawl (KHM) 162
2 Old-Growth Troll (KHM) 185
2 Oran-Rief Ooze (ZNR) 198
2 Toski, Bearer of Secrets (KHM) 197
2 Rune of Might (KHM) 191
2 Negate (STA) 18
2 Lair of the Hydra (AFR) 259
6 Snow-Covered Forest (KHM) 284
6 Snow-Covered Forest (KHM) 285
4 Barkchannel Pathway (KHM) 251
4 Vineglimmer Snarl (STX) 274
1 The World Tree (KHM) 275

Achievement unlocked: Win a game of 100 card historic brawl with Bruvac commander.
Wouldn't recommend it since you're better off being proactive than reactive, and playing mono-blue in 100 card singleton is asking for trouble, but I was able to control my opponent's disgusting crea*ures with judicious use of bounce spells. Poor dude even had a midnight clock to try to protect himself against aggro but it just got bounced, and even if it didn't I had agent of treachery to steal it before it'd trigger. He just needed Dawkins' favorite card and I might've been in a pickle. At least until I drew my whatever-madness card and kicked it with Bruvac to mill his entire deck. Still, haven't milled anyone in ages and I had the urge.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
you mean you are the only bruvac deck in a queue that isnt 1 bruvac and x agents?
whats next? once jumpstart deck drops you are gonna make rat commander without x rat colony?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm trying to build a lifelink gank deck and I was wondering if the wisdom of the codex could assist.

One possibly win state I'm imagining involves using The Book of Exalted Deeds card the Aetherflux Reservoir card.

The book would make it impossible to lose the game (provided I have an angel, but that's details), and the Aetherflux Reservoir card would give me unlimited 50 damage blasts cast at instant speed if things work the way I think they do.

The question is this, if I can't lose the game, can I spend life while my life total is negative. Ie.. if I'm at negative 5 life, and I want to use the aetherflux reservoir ability, can I go to negative 55 life and blast stuff.

If this works, then I can simply blast away. Someone tries a removal spell, I pay another 50 life and blast, they try another removal, I keep paying 50 life and blasting them.

96b6b2e1-c3e6-464c-8a13-b15deb34e862.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Ranselknulf
tl;dr; no
https://www.boardgamebarrister.com/magic-ruling-how-low-can-you-go
  • 118.4. If a cost or effect allows a player to pay an amount of life greater than 0, the player may do so only if their life total is greater than or equal to the amount of the payment. If a player pays life, the payment is subtracted from their life total; in other words, the player loses that much life. (Players can always pay 0 life.)

seriously, though, how low did you fall to consider *hite?

However, if you want many, many blasts Id consider some of mono black magic silly decks, where he creates many tokens that are copy of some silly *hite critter and receive silly amount of life.
Or perhaps some golgari storm decks with citadel that can also ramp to insane amoung of life. In this case too reservoir will be just a janky win con

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's more of a multiplayer commander thing.

Cards that are obviously overpowered end up getting taken out before they even enter the battlefield, or shortly thereafter.

Cards that have weird and "retarded" effects like this are more likely to survive until you can enact whatever janky shit you got planned. People look at a card like this and say, is this asshole bluffing, or is there some real combo here.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Cards that are obviously overpowered end up getting taken out before they even enter the battlefield, or shortly thereafter.

Cards that have weird and "retarded" effects like this are more likely to survive until you can enact whatever janky shit you got planned. People look at a card like this and say, is this asshole bluffing, or is there some real combo here.
for multiplier doing weird jank combo to gain big ass life total is quite welcome. Your board will likely get wiped as otherwise you would win the game.
Then you slam reservoir for victory. Would require few tutors to make it consistent though

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

for multiplier doing weird jank combo to gain big ass life total is quite welcome. Your board will likely get wiped as otherwise you would win the game.
Then you slam reservoir for victory. Would require few tutors to make it consistent though

Thanks for advice, I've been brainstorming some commander deck ideas. There is a huge club here of hundreds of commander players who meet up to play. This rich fag bought out this old strip mall and opened a huge comic shop. Owns his own food truck and everything and throws huge ass tournaments. Been trying to get back into the physical version. Back in the day when MTGO (the old school version of Arena) would let you collect a full set of cards and exchange them for a factory sealed and printed complete physical set of cards. I bought a lot of those complete sets of cards for different MTG releases and never opened them. I'm sifting through them right now deciding on which cards to use / open and which ones to sell so I can get expensive cards I want to play with.

I kinda like massive board wipes so I definitely want to get a bunch of those, and white is famous for that. the mystical archive seems like a good way to stock up on the old school stuff and the modern masters also. Not quite sure where I'm going just yet, but I bought a few of those mox's and some ugins which can just about fit in anywhere and use up an opponents removal cards ofc.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Meh. Got scammed by land screw 3 times in a row in my free premium Amonkhet draft so i only got 2 wins. In times like these i really fucking loathe MTG's mana system.

edit: At least i got Liliana PW and a mythic wildcard in my two packs.

Oddly enough my Kaladesh draft is 2-0 so far despite the deck looking far worse to me. Guess golgari dorks beating up nerds is better than being the nerd and trying to do shit with zombies. Didn't get much cool from raredrafting but such is life, indomitable creativity is neat but it feels more like something you'd want 4 of and build a deck around it rather than slapping one in to a brawl deck or whatever.

Rare haul: Peacewalker colossus, disallow, skyship stalker, indomitable creativity, key to the city, scrapheap scrounger, aethersphere harvester, and scrap trawler.

Oddly enough my Kaladesh draft is 2-0 so far
Final run was 7-1 despite being in platinum limited rank. I'm going to call myself god's gift to Kaladesh limited and never play it ever again so as never to challenge that title and run off with my filthy lucre. Boosters had aetherflux reservoir, heroic intervention, Kambal consul of allocation, Skysoverign consul flagship, mythic wildcard, and concealed courtyard. Kinda think I did better on the rares from the random packs than I did in the raredraft. For constructed at least, aethersphere harvester is a massive bomb for limited.

2yfTR8v.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
snatched 10 rares so had to do with leftovers. Since dimir is considered weakest - thats what was passed to me. Still managed to get 4 wins. So good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom