Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

spot checks shows that jumpstart packs appear to have 1 new rare and 1 existing?
That's a bit suspicious. If they also do the rare ICRs I wouldn't be surprised if they try to jack the price up on it. Those might just be the juicy packs, they said 31 new cards and 700-something cards total, Jumpstart packs are typically 20 cards (Including lands) so 31x20 comes to 620 which isn't completely accurate since, again, that's counting land in the packs while WotC would be talking about non-basic land. So they can't fit a new rare and an old rare into every pack.

Edit: Also depends of course on if they do the pack variants like they did with regular Jumpstart. There would be the big money rare and mythic packs but there could be some good variations on common packs if you highroll for the best one. Which ideally someone does a nice spreadsheet for this like they did on vanilla Jumpstart since that was really useful.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Edit: Also depends of course on if they do the pack variants like they did with regular Jumpstart. There would be the big money rare and mythic packs but there could be some good variations on common packs if you highroll for the best one. Which ideally someone does a nice spreadsheet for this like they did on vanilla Jumpstart since that was really useful.
I guess there will be variants looking at number of squirells or sliver cards. Which is annoying :negative:

That's a bit suspicious. If they also do the rare ICRs I wouldn't be surprised if they try to jack the price up on it.
it was kind of this way with previous jumpstart and m21. Only reason I have many cards from m21 is jumpstart actually.
Anyway gotta wait for nice aggregated website like last time to draw conclusions(and create my another collection spreadsheet). I'm not putting extra time to go over scattered press leaking sources

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...e-game-jumpstart-historic-horizons-2021-07-29

- jumpstart stays the same begwise. Slight improvements over variance in packs shown(still nothing about hiding ones already collected). It appears that predicting rare/mythic will be even harder as now each card in pack slot can vary. Reprints do not get fake jumpstart logo, so less situations like with woe strider. Here are packets(to be updated) https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...art-historic-horizons-packet-lists-2021-07-26
- 100 cards h brawl permanent queue! Perpetual cards banned so no davriel. I was looking forward to kill emry this way :negative:

- 100 cards h brawl permanent queue! Perpetual cards banned so no davriel. I was looking forward to kill emry this way :negative:
Nice. Ideally they'd axe regular brawl and just leave it as 100 card historic brawl for lobotomized Arena-commander for a fun fuck around format rather than splitting the playerbase between the two. Sadly it'll probably be as competitive as brawl often is, but all the same. I also understand banning perpetual cards in it since that could get bonkers.

Sadly they didn't say if we'll get gems for extra duplicates on rares/mythics for historic brawl. IIRC we get vault progress on the commons and uncommons but I don't remember if you get gems on the others. The gem payout for duplicates on rares/mythics is shit but since historic horizons packs are going to be a lot more variable than regular Jumpstart was I'll just hope I don't end up with another 50 fucking copies of Serra angel. Also unfortunately means that cheat sheets won't be as useful for figuring out what packs give what cards since (It sounds) like it'll be a bigger crapshoot. Then again if you're only looking at the rares and mythics maybe it'll be about the same, it's just there's more jitter in the uncommons and commons too.

Pretty good update honestly. I know what the cool kids will be running as commander.
e8815cd9-7032-445a-aebc-cfc19bd51ee4.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
thinking about this, there might have been a nerf.
It is not clear but its likely that now no pack will offer more than 1 rare/mythic, while previously it was up to 2.

At the same time you can already see crap in, like zombies having murderous rider.

Good thing that 100 h brawl is finally here, I can focus just on singles and dont worry too much about the rest.
Also got to check if its doable to turn pirates into 100card deck

Doktor Best

Arcane
I am still pissed about rng cards but historic brawl not being a permanent format was the thing i was most pissed about before so i am conflicted. Will rng cards be legal in historic brawl?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I am still pissed about rng cards but historic brawl not being a permanent format was the thing i was most pissed about before so i am conflicted. Will rng cards be legal in historic brawl?
it appears to be the case. Also not sure how I feel about seek, h brawl already seemed to have too many tutors

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
this is cool for sacc shenanigans
Squirrel-Wrangler-J21-672.jpg

will very much fit in my brawl terraforming korvold deck. Trigger sac and receive 2 sac targets!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ok now I think I get that 'slots' talk in jumpstart variations. Would b eeasier if website they provide worked better

- It appears that each pack got at least 1 rare/mythic
- most have 'fixed' such slot, but not all of them. Meaning in some packs you are ensured to get specific rare, in others its rng
- most packs(but not all) got slot with potential rare. In general it appears they like 33/25% chances of such occurence. This sort of matches previous jumpstart for decks with 3-4 cariations actually. Except for fixed slot obviously.

for example cool zombies got only 1 rare, its a chance between leaked 3. There is small extra chance for murderous rider

would be cool if they also provided deck rarity

I wouldn't expect seek to be that much of an issue in 100 card historic brawl. Large deck singleton would be harder to massage into consistent overpowered bullshit, 60 card constructed you'd be a little more likely to be able to build your deck around doing dumb shit. Kind of like decks running that red planeswalker and transmogrify and such to turn a 1/1 token into a giant beatstick. And if you're talking about the dice rolling D&D cards those aren't strong enough to be an issue.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
So, that first draft was completely changed, here's my current attempt at kinda-monogreen 2022:

Deck
4 Swarm Shambler (ZNR) 207
4 Tajuru Blightblade (ZNR) 208
4 Snakeskin Veil (STA) 57
4 Ranger Class (AFR) 202
4 Werewolf Pack Leader (AFR) 211
3 Old-Growth Troll (KHM) 185
2 Oran-Rief Ooze (ZNR) 198
3 Toski, Bearer of Secrets (KHM) 197
2 Battle Mammoth (KHM) 160
1 Gnarled Professor (STX) 133
2 Koma, Cosmos Serpent (KHM) 221
4 Blizzard Brawl (KHM) 162
7 Snow-Covered Forest (KHM) 285
7 Snow-Covered Forest (KHM) 284
2 Rimewood Falls (KHM) 266
4 The World Tree (KHM) 275
4 Vineglimmer Snarl (STX) 274

Sideboard
1 Expanded Anatomy (STX) 2
1 Introduction to Prophecy (STX) 4
1 Environmental Sciences (STX) 1
1 Fractal Summoning (STX) 187
1 Introduction to Annihilation (STX) 3
2 Containment Breach (STX) 125

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
spreadsheet, the gathering

in other words im ready for jumpstart card amassing

draft became extremely dull once everyone realized how rakdos is superior. Thought ill sink more gems into it but i already stearted getting hit by 5th copies and had long streak of insanely bad luck which doesnt let me get past t4 gold lol

draft became extremely dull once everyone realized how rakdos is superior. Thought ill sink more gems into it but i already stearted getting hit by 5th copies and had long streak of insanely bad luck which doesnt let me get past t4 gold lol
Agreed. It's a decent limited set EXCEPT for rakdos being so reliable that it's almost always best to force rakdos rather than going with whatever you're offered. Still drafted some other shit a few times but when you equip a gold dragon only for your opponent to price of loyalty, bonk you in the head, then eat it with a ghoul you learn the error of ever drafting any rare cards instead of red and black commons. Fortunately I still killed him because he got greedy with a chump block and I had the green trample instant, but still. MIGHT still do some drafting when they do the season reset in a few days and I get bumped back in rank, but since Jumpstart will be around I dunno.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
MIGHT still do some drafting when they do the season reset in a few days and I get bumped back in rank, but since Jumpstart will be around I dunno.
not sure if you will be required to enter queues to be eligible for your frozen rank or not.
Did not think about it, but its likely that you are right

not sure if you will be required to enter queues to be eligible for your frozen rank or not.
Did not think about it, but its likely that you are right
Yep, you absolutely do. Tested that ages ago during some set I wasn't that fond of. The one part I'm not sure is if it counts if you completely shit the bed and go 0-3, or if it counts as long as you get a pip. Since you lose progress from losses (Though not as much at lower ranks) I'd assume it still counts, all the matters is that you played during that season. It's why it's generally worth it to do at least one draft during any given season since even the bronze ranked reward adds another pack to what you earned for that entry fee.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
yeah, loss is enough to be eligible for reward in given queue. When not actively begdrafting, I enter when months shift, so that I tick rank on both seasons with single entry

Ziggy

Scholar
while everyone's forcing rakdos, you can realibly draft very solid selesnya decks. a few you hear something on watch, some owlbears and hill giants, gg wp

Doktor Best

Arcane
Aw yiss. Make vampires great again!
best ones gonna be *hite

What do you mean? Cordial vampire alone pushes the vampires tribal hard. Keep in mind that every creature death triggers it, not just friendly creatures. We still lack bloodghast of course, but that one would be a bit much. I also feel like we are like one good card away from being able to form a really strong vito lifedrain deck. Great synergies with both Sorin pws and then there is the infinite combo with exquisite blood.

Actually managed to get my ass back to plat in limited in this half-month season. Was originally going to sit on this draft and use it to get welfare packs for next season, but AFR cheap drafts are leaving so I had to wrap it up. Also figured I may as well crack my AFR packs now since I'll be doing minimal drafts, didn't get anything too thrilling. Only 1 Tasha if I want to mill, 1 den of the bugbear, 1 Delina so if I want to meme I'd need to craft, 0 Ebondeath, 0 regent, 0 Lolth. Never even got some of those cards Luka was getting passed a bunch of like treasure vaults and Tiamat. Only things I got playsets of was guardian of faith, werewolf pack leader, and bard class. At least werewolf's solid for green stompy and bard has high jank potential.

For constructed I've been doing standard 2022 Selesnya magecraft after I got blown out by it once or twice. Even though I'm engaging in the unforgivable sin of playing wh*te I had 3 of that sex pervert owl mythic so I damn well better strike while the iron's hot and he's playable. Really fun deck, you can get completely hosed by a few good sweepers but the flipside is you have insane burst potential in a few different ways, most notably the leonin that gives everyone +1/+1 for every spell and the green dork that gets +1/+1 for every spell.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
bard has high jank potential.
not a jank, its actually strong even in m22 queue. No removal is enough for explosive turns that it can provide

sad to hear about your begdrafting experience. werewolf is nice and i got 0 for reference. I am not opening packs until rotation, I think there might be some cards to be acquired with new starter sets we will obtain? Also its easy for me since I dont plan on participating in constructed for a while

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom