Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

That's a pretty huge art change. Is that part of something that's coming out here or a Japan only thing?

Pretty cool anyway.
Should be everywhere. A while back (2 years ago now I think?) they had a set called War of the Spark where they did some alternate Japan-only art and naturally weebs wanted to import the Japanese cards over, so since it fits with the theme of this set they're probably just doing that for the basic lands for everyone to help sell boxes of cards. No idea how it'll work out in Arena though. One fairly recent example was Theros Beyond Death where it had some normal looking basic lands and then the "Nyx" lands which were full-art kinda like these. The full art nyx lands were numbered in the set total just like these are (Where it lists things like 301/302) while the other ones were beyond that (In this case, it would be something like 305 with no slash number) weren't. But in Arena the ones beyond that were the free basic lands everyone got access to and the nyx lands were the fancy cosmetics to spend money on, so WotC may pull some normal looking lands out of their asses.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
New Dimir walker coming in Kamigawa, Luka. Not terribly exciting in itself but I actually kinda dig it for ninja decks. Seems like a 3 mana walker that isn't outrageously busted but will be good in a certain deck.
its... ugh... meh i guess. I can see that gameplay is to cast him, put ninja in, start drawing cards. Protects himself for 1 turn. I could consider him if his ultimate wasnt that far away... Or if he did cost 2 mana. Who knows though, maybe there are some amazingballs unblockable critters that would make him better choice than this-dimir-2-mana-shapeshifter-whose-name-i-forgot

Also showed the new basic lands for Kamigawa which are actually quite nice. Don't know if we'll get these as basic lands in Arena or if they'll be like the full art nyx lands where they're a style they'll sell/have in an event but I do like them fairly well.
half of them are confusing(as in could be mistaken for another basic land). They look nice though

That's a pretty huge art change. Is that part of something that's coming out here or a Japan only thing?

Pretty cool anyway.
Should be everywhere. A while back (2 years ago now I think?) they had a set called War of the Spark where they did some alternate Japan-only art and naturally weebs wanted to import the Japanese cards over, so since it fits with the theme of this set they're probably just doing that for the basic lands for everyone to help sell boxes of cards. No idea how it'll work out in Arena though. One fairly recent example was Theros Beyond Death where it had some normal looking basic lands and then the "Nyx" lands which were full-art kinda like these. The full art nyx lands were numbered in the set total just like these are (Where it lists things like 301/302) while the other ones were beyond that (In this case, it would be something like 305 with no slash number) weren't. But in Arena the ones beyond that were the free basic lands everyone got access to and the nyx lands were the fancy cosmetics to spend money on, so WotC may pull some normal looking lands out of their asses.

snow pixel lands are full art too. Also arent scaled weirdly. In general its best to make sure that there is no scaling issue before buying

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
As far as sleves go, I obtain every single one I find even remotely interesting. Only one I didnt grab was naked fairy sleeve because at a time I was out of gold. Cant wait for it to come back.
naked fairy is available today!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ive stolen another great deck. spoiler warning... its half white
https://mtga.untapped.gg/profile/a0...99?gameType=constructed&constructedType=brawl

I am yet to make it mono b. Still, its work of art. Havent played iniaz since jumpstart. Play this deck if you want to
worstdealever.gif

btw does anyone copy those weird hb decks i find?

ive stolen another great deck. spoiler warning... its half white
SOCIETY IS COLLAPSING

And I do when I'm playing Arena more regularly, but the last week or two I've just been knocking out dailies and doing Tuesday Friday Night Magic. Slightly busy and throwing MTG under the bus to play some other stuff too. Would be dubious about an Azorius deck but you've just got some counters and prison cards to cover your ass, not shut the game down entirely, so it shouldn't be too annoying. Except of course when you get Iniaz out and just start stealing your opponent's best shit.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
prison cards to cover your ass, not shut the game down entirely, so it shouldn't be too annoying. Except of course when you get Iniaz out and just start stealing your opponent's best shit.
best part is exchanging prison cards for cool stuff. Opponents seem to be mainly surprised that exchange happens at declare attackers phase. Most such cards work on dmg assigned etc.

SOCIETY IS COLLAPSING
obviously im in progres of fixing this design flaw. There are some frogify cards... Problem is my mono blue version is at 150+ cards now. Gonna take some time

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Multi-headed Cow really painful experience but i did it
Commander
1 Inniaz, the Gale Force (JMP) 12

Deck
1 Hope of Ghirapur (KLR) 243
37 Snow-Covered Island (SLD) 326
1 Counterspell (STA) 15
1 Faerie Formation (ELD) 316
1 Ornithopter (M10) 216
1 Mind Stone (WTH) 153
1 Shacklegeist (M21) 70
1 Rattlechains (JMP) 166
1 Coldsteel Heart (CSP) 136
1 Faerie Vandal (ELD) 45
1 Dungeon Geists (M20) 57
1 Warden of Evos Isle (JMP) 191
1 Pilfering Hawk (KHM) 71
1 Dreamshackle Geist (VOW) 58
1 Siren Stormtamer (XLN) 79
1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner (JMP) 154
1 Tempest Djinn (DAR) 68
1 Tide Skimmer (M21) 79
1 Warkite Marauder (RIX) 60
1 Cerulean Drake (M20) 53
1 Spectral Sailor (JMP) 178
1 Tale's End (M20) 77
1 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Midnight Clock (ELD) 54
1 Stolen by the Fae (ELD) 66
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Mystic Subdual (IKO) 57
1 Shark Typhoon (IKO) 67
1 Jubilant Skybonder (IKO) 223
1 Faerie Seer (MH1) 51
1 Jwari Disruption (ZNR) 64
1 Sea Gate Restoration (ZNR) 76
1 Thieving Skydiver (ZNR) 85
1 Nebelgast Herald (JMP) 160
1 Saw It Coming (KHM) 76
1 Ornithopter of Paradise (MH2) 232
1 Silver Raven (AFR) 74
1 Spectral Adversary (MID) 77
1 Lantern Bearer (VOW) 66
1 Overcharged Amalgam (VOW) 71
1 Wash Away (VOW) 87
1 Thryx, the Sudden Storm (THB) 76
1 Bubble Snare (ZNR) 47
1 Curious Obsession (RIX) 35
1 Frogify (ELD) 47
1 Ice Over (KLR) 52
1 Kasmina's Transmutation (WAR) 57
1 Narcolepsy (JMP) 159
1 Ray of Frost (AFR) 68
1 As Foretold (AKR) 49
1 Charmed Sleep (ELD) 40
1 Deep Freeze (DAR) 50
1 Ichthyomorphosis (THB) 51
1 Capture Sphere (GRN) 31
1 Dream Eater (GRN) 38
1 Supreme Phantom (M19) 76
1 Nimble Obstructionist (AKR) 71
1 Kefnet's Monument (AKR) 275
1 Blinkmoth Nexus (2XM) 311
1 Time Warp (STA) 22
1 Karn's Temporal Sundering (DAR) 55
1 Archmage's Charm (MH1) 40
1 Neutralize (IKO) 59

so many cool things to let go. I might have finally found use for blinkmoth land

so many cool things to let go
LUKA YOU MANIAC, that might be too many cool things! It might be easier to admit that in some situations white is acceptable to you, since white does have a lot of flying-support and Azorius in particular has a lot of cards that benefit it. Although I do see you're doing some extra turns stuff which is dirty in itself but does give you some extra mono-blue power if you're cutting out white. And yeah blinkmoth land's a good way to sneak some more flying in there to make some deals.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i might have spending problem. Ive gotten into loop of giving a try to various h brawl decks. I even crafted 2 elven ones because I was just 3 rare wc away :negative:
Now im under 40/20 rare/mythic wc like some peasant who didnt play beta

Feeling a little of that spending problem with those goddamn pixel snow lands. Bumped into a couple more people that were using them and they really do look nice in-play in MTGA. That's always kind of a sticking point, some of the land cards look great regular sized but then they don't work nearly as well in MTGA. Almost all the full-arts end up that way, but they actually did a good job resizing the pixel snow lands presumably since they're charging for them. Kinda like the old fart lands or whatever they were called, that had the old border on 'em. The fucking Dracula basics look nice too, only problem of course is Dracula feels more theme-specific than pixel land. Dude was playing a burn deck with his mountains having Dracula flipping me off from a balcony and as funny as it was I just dunno. Still not gonna buy any but it's nice that they're improving how land art translates to MTGA.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
arena is reaching new low, offering sleeves on daily basis deals that used/are free with code

arena is reaching new low, offering sleeves on daily basis deals that used/are free with code
Was kinda hoping they'd do some Christmas code for free goodies but no such luck I guess. Sadly not even any good sales, though that makes a little more sense since I assume all these shit daily deals are so people traveling and doing shit for the holidays don't miss out. But god damn it WotC I'm right here and doing what I always do, give me cards!

Ziggy

Scholar
Threw together an hbrawl Ashiok deck, because even if I might not be a good person, I'm not quite baral/esika/golos level-bad-person. The very first game was against T5feri, complete with Teferi avatar and sleeves. He taps out t2. On my t2, I cast Thought Erasure. In response, Teferi larper concedes at instant speed.
Teferi: erased.

Poor dude. Know jack shit about him but late 30's is way too young to have a heart attack. Sure he's fat, but he doesn't look "Heart attack before you're 40" fat. Glad he got through it even though it scared him shitless and he's obviously still incredibly nervous about medical bills but that's still easier to deal with than keeling over dead. Dude does mention a lot of heart problems run in his family though. Actually had a couple family members have heart attacks (In their 80's, however) last year and even though they got through it fine eventually they both had to jump through the hoops of the hospitals being packed with covid patients. One of them ended up waiting for 5 hours until the hospital found another hospital with an open bed and got flown over to it since absolutely everything in the area was packed.

And watched more of the video and he said he's lost weight and he used to be 390 pounds, so I guess there's some of that "Heart attack before 40" kicking in. And he's still 300 now which is surprising, figured he was more mid-200s. Still, good that he lost that weight before the heart attack and if he sticks to his diet for his heart then he'll likely lose even more. Hope everything works out for him.

Am I bugged or drunk or is the Sigarda's Summons exquisite sleeve completely unanimated? Mousing over it makes a rustling wing-flapping kind of sound but it's not even doing a lazy picture flip like that werewolf sleeve. I usually get a kick out of seeing what dumb stuff the end-of-set sleeve does and I'm disappointed.

Stand down men, STAND DOWN. As I typed that up I thought "Wait what if it does something REALLY dumb like that one artifact sleeve where it only really shows during a match" and started up a match with them and sure enough, this angel sleeve has the best dumbs. Big fucking wings burst out if your card and wave around, maximize it by left clicking on your deck and then mousing over all the cards at once. Still not enough to make me want to drop the serum visions sleeve but I'm satisfied with the stupidity of these. Makes up for the weak werewolf ones.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
is it acceptable to play h brawl rat colony deck since its favorite card of danny trejo?

I feel like I should finally break down and craft 4 Alrund's epiphany since 90% of all standard decks are running a playset of it. Keep wanting to play non-blue decks but I'm losing the will to live when my opponent takes 5 turns in a row.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I feel like I should finally break down and craft 4 Alrund's epiphany since 90% of all standard decks are running a playset of it. Keep wanting to play non-blue decks but I'm losing the will to live when my opponent takes 5 turns in a row.
if you want to take many turns, there are h brawl decks that do that without you crafting 4x each card

EDIT: something like this: https://aetherhub.com/Deck/vadrik-and-4-8-20-extra-turns
tl;dr; izzet and slot all turn, copy, play from graveyard cards you can find. You will find that there are quite a few of those. Vadrik is common choice due to cost reduction.
I absolutely hate extra turns spells but im not mad when opponent builds their deck around them, as opposed to slot 1 card wonder.

Last edited:
if you want to take many turns, there are h brawl decks that do that without you crafting 4x each card
I actually don't, it's just when I do my half-assed game or two of standard each day I get pissy about every deck being epiphany or hullbreaker which isn't much better. Been considering crafting some mill cards for fucking around in standard just because it'd be a laugh to be playing izzet and go for mill rather than turns or lobsters, but I've been remarkably unlucky in pulling mill rares and I don't know that I feel like burning up wildcards on stuff like hideous laughter and cacophony since they're only useful for one particular kind of deck. Just some general MTG bitching. If anything I should wait until Kamigawa comes out since that might change things up enough that I'll either have different shit I'll want to craft or blue will get a little less popular.

Ziggy

Scholar
dont ever craft epiphanies, rage against the dying of the light

mono b control been pretty great this standard, obvs solid versus creature decks and even, not unfavorable, against turns bullshit, as long as you can pump out threats at all times and dont run eight wipes like an idiot
the izzet gamer fears the one of ebondeath

Deck
2 Field of Ruin (MID) 262
1 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
4 Blood on the Snow (KHM) 79
2 Fell Stinger (VOW) 112
2 Faceless Haven (KHM) 255
4 Shambling Ghast (AFR) 119
2 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258
4 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107
2 Professor Onyx (STX) 83
1 The Celestus (MID) 252
2 Lolth, Spider Queen (AFR) 112
3 Dread Fugue (VOW) 107
2 Sorin the Mirthless (VOW) 131
3 Deadly Dispute (AFR) 94
2 Nighthawk Scavenger (ZNR) 115
1 Go Blank (STX) 72
3 Eyetwitch (STX) 70
1 Ebondeath, Dracolich (AFR) 100
19 Snow-Covered Swamp (SLD) 327

Sideboard
1 Confront the Past (STX) 67
1 Introduction to Prophecy (STX) 4
1 Necrotic Fumes (STX) 78
2 Environmental Sciences (STX) 1
2 Mascot Exhibition (STX) 5

Deck
2 Field of Ruin (MID) 262
1 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
4 Blood on the Snow (KHM) 79
2 Fell Stinger (VOW) 112
2 Faceless Haven (KHM) 255
4 Shambling Ghast (AFR) 119
2 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258
4 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107
2 Professor Onyx (STX) 83
1 The Celestus (MID) 252
19 Snow-Covered Swamp (KHM) 280
2 Lolth, Spider Queen (AFR) 112
3 Dread Fugue (VOW) 107
2 Sorin the Mirthless (VOW) 131
3 Deadly Dispute (AFR) 94
2 Nighthawk Scavenger (ZNR) 115
1 Go Blank (STX) 72
2 Eyetwitch (STX) 70
1 Inscription of Ruin (ZNR) 108
1 Ebondeath, Dracolich (AFR) 100

Sideboard
2 Path of Peril (VOW) 124
2 Power Word Kill (AFR) 114
3 Ray of Enfeeblement (AFR) 116
1 Soul Shatter (ZNR) 127
3 Skyclave Shade (ZNR) 125
2 Graveyard Trespasser (MID) 104
1 Environmental Sciences (STX) 1
1 Mascot Exhibition (STX) 5

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom