Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah i got the Thyranid one and its pretty fun. Also ordered the Necron deck but fucking Jeff Bezos didnt honor his pledge to deliver my order and now its expensive as fuck.

There are upcoming Lotr precons on the way which are also rumored to have above average card quality. If you want one of those, preorder now. They will spike as surely as the sun sets in the west.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how was your beg premier draft? not to brag but I went 7-0, orzov was beautifully open

Didn't even do one, did one on the innistrad remastered set for shits and giggles and ended up with spirits I already had playsets of from jump in. Botdrafting's been okay, most recently on a orzhov phyrexian bullshit run that's been enjoyable. That 3/3 phyrexian nerd that limits all players to casting a single non-phyrexian spell a turn and non-phyrexians enter the battlefield tapped has been a surprising MVP for getting early beats in and snowballing.

Dr1f7

Scholar
well just played for the first time since new set release. mono-u is still good fun :)

but fucking hell I'm so damn sick of seeing tenacious underdog and the fucking blood token harvester and 3-mana lili and bankbuster and fable and all the dumb bullcrap that's been 4 ofs in every deck for 2 years now I wonder if wizards even plays their game

but fucking hell I'm so damn sick of
i blame wildcards. with minimal effort anyone can put together the flavour of the block deck. 9 games out of 10 i'm playing against people whose single cards are priced more than my full deck. there's no place to play for fun.

Kind of a shame you can't craft those oddball cards from MoM to get the card styles for shit you've already got a playset of (And thus won't open them from random boosters and have to either draft them or buy the style itself). Would burn a mythic and rare wildcard for the Kroxa and Thalia styles if I could but sadly didn't draft enough to be passed any. And Lurrus. And Teysa. GOD DAMN IT. Actually Teysa's the worst since I like dumb aristocrats shit so she'd likely see some of the most use from me outside of probably Thalia which... To be honest Thalia's probably the one I'd play the most. Want that fucking Ayara style too, all the Eldraine alternate arts are nice.

Sure as hell won't get much (If any) drafting done before it rotates out of begdrafts on the 12th, don't know if I'll do any more drafts when it comes back around the end of the month. Already blew however much gold on some drafts and then some 50,000 gold on packs which is usually about what I do since that lets me keep a buffer of 100k gold if any random cool shit happens like anthologies and is enough to keep my gems topped off so I can do the mastery pass every time but sets with multiple rares per pack are my weakness, even when they're basically all historic shit. Similar to going berserk on those modern horizons jumpstart games and pulling nearly all of those cards before they fucked historic up with alchemy. And even though I never buy card styles they're a lot more tempting when they're included with cards either in regular packs or drafts.

FURTHERMORE, wish I could use that Squee art on the standard-legal Squee, it's cool.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
there is a hidden quest and event. 1st you need to WIN against sparky. When that happens new daily like quest will appear at the bottom of home page. You need to click it. It will take you to event page.

ind33d

Educated
someone made a good point that if Arena comes to Steam, the turbo-autists will prove the shuffler is rigged. I'm sure Hasbro won't get into legal trouble because of bullshit in the EULA, but it'll still be hilarious to watch

Best way to prove it would probably be Collected Company or milling each player's entire deck to look for patterns in the "shuffling"

Dr1f7

Scholar
they've already admitted that the shuffler's rigged to some extent; in bo1 the game draws a number of hands for you and shows you the one with the best land to spell ratio

ind33d

Educated
they've already admitted that the shuffler's rigged to some extent; in bo1 the game draws a number of hands for you and shows you the one with the best land to spell ratio
as someone who plays mtgo, i've spent literally six months deciding between 19 or 20 lands for affinity. retarded stuff like rigging opening hands completely defeats the entire point of the game

Dr1f7

Scholar
as someone who plays mtgo, i've spent literally six months deciding between 19 or 20 lands for affinity. retarded stuff like rigging opening hands completely defeats the entire point of the game
yup they had a forum post about it in beta, they call it "hand smoothing".. they've since deleted their forums. But there's whole articles written on this topic on other sites

https://mtgazone.com/mtg-arenas-opening-hand-algorithm-and-smoothing/

also I think it was revealed that everyone has a hidden matchmaking ranking that they favor for matchmaking over the actual shown rank. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more rigging going on. All sorts of sketchy shit with these guys

also they hate white people and pretty women

ind33d

Educated
yup they had a forum post about it in beta, they call it "hand smoothing".. they've since deleted their forums. But there's whole articles written on this topic on other sites

https://mtgazone.com/mtg-arenas-opening-hand-algorithm-and-smoothing/

also I think it was revealed that everyone has a hidden matchmaking ranking that they favor for matchmaking over the actual shown rank. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more rigging going on. All sorts of sketchy shit with these guys

also they hate white people and pretty women
what if i'm playing a life from the loam deck and need to keep a seven lander? what if i'm on reanimator and need to keep a no lander with lotus petal so i can discard griselbrand to hand size? what if I'm on the draw and only need one land? why is a queer ukrainian AI deciding what's best for me?

Last edited:
Supposedly standard a ban list was leaked that'll go live next week. Not sure how true it is because that's an awful big ban for stand but since a lot of those cards are shitting all over standard I'd appreciate it.

Wedding announcement
The wandering emperor
Invoke despair
Fable of the mirror breaker
Raffine, scheming seer
Atraxa, grand unifier
Reckoner bankbuster
Plaza of heroes

ind33d

Educated
Supposedly standard a ban list was leaked that'll go live next week. Not sure how true it is because that's an awful big ban for stand but since a lot of those cards are shitting all over standard I'd appreciate it.

Wedding announcement
The wandering emperor
Invoke despair
Raffine, scheming seer
Atraxa, grand unifier
Reckoner bankbuster
Plaza of heroes
Maybe instead of printing retarded cards and then banning them, just add basic core set staples like, oh, I don't know... STONE RAIN? DARK RITUAL? MANA LEAK? WASTELAND? How does WOTC expect the game to function if they power creep threats but not removal? Are they retarded?

If they stopped printing Balance effects, what does White even fucking do?

Dr1f7

Scholar

Wedding announcement
The wandering emperor
Invoke despair
Raffine, scheming seer
Atraxa, grand unifier
Reckoner bankbuster
Plaza of heroes
Maybe instead of printing retarded cards and then banning them, just add basic core set staples like, oh, I don't know... STONE RAIN? DARK RITUAL? MANA LEAK? WASTELAND? How does WOTC expect the game to function if they power creep threats but not removal? Are they retarded?

If they stopped printing Balance effects, what does White even fucking do?
it's funny because nearly that entire list of cards is shit that everyone knows should have been banned like 2 years ago
but no it's totally cool to just let these cards dominate every deck for 1.5 years then ban in the final few months.

their bullshit schemes are so blatantly obvious and they've been pulling this for a long time now

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
it's funny because nearly that entire list of cards is shit that everyone knows should have been banned like 2 years ago
but no it's totally cool to just let these cards dominate every deck for 1.5 years then ban in the final few months.

their bullshit schemes are so blatantly obvious and they've been pulling this for a long time now
I think you have missed the memo. They are banning it because standard is rotating now after 3 years so they cant just wait for problem to disappear without action. Also yes, they do wait for packs to sell first

Dr1f7

Scholar
oh i didn't know it was 3 years for rotation now, that's kinda crazy
still wotc has a history of printing totally busted bullshit and letting it ruin standard for waaaaaaaaaaay too long then banning it last second or even just letting it go the whole way

ind33d

Educated
oh i didn't know it was 3 years for rotation now, that's kinda crazy
still wotc has a history of printing totally busted bullshit and letting it ruin standard for waaaaaaaaaaay too long then banning it last second or even just letting it go the whole way
There is also a 0% chance the gorillas at R&D tested Standard for one year never mind three, so expect even more broken, retarded shit to happen

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom