Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Gerrard

Arcane
if for "soon after" you mean "years later" then yes, you're right.
The card came out in February 1999, in September of the same year it was restricted in Type 1 and banned in type 1.5.

ranked (and really all of the constructed formats) is all netdecks from bronze to highest mythic and it's always gonna be like that
mono-blue tempo is fun because you can just say no to all the 'good stuff' piles while beating them over the head with a flying creature
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-blue-tempo-mid#paper
deck is like 4-6 rares, you don't need the sideboard if you play bo1, and you can drop 'march of swirling mist' and replace it with anything really

you might like the jump-in format, I think it's pretty fun. you pick two halves of preconstructed decks and slam them together.
draft is usually p fun too

there's also Yu-Gi-Oh! and the new pokemon tcgl that I've been having fun with
Complaining about netdecking but linking a netdeck? Curious. Most curious.

More seriously though that does work great. Been futzing with RDW in standard a little and even though it MOSTLY works you do get fucked up since everyone's trying to pull Atraxa out of the yard and that lifelink is a bastard, and even taking hate cards for Sheoldred can't save you there. Spell piercing the gix saga works a treat. Might shift over to mono blue myself for a while when I don't feel like explorer. I see the Modern Horizons Ragavan is on Arena now too and though he's banned in historic he is available in historic brawl, but he's probably fine as a single copy in a 100 card deck.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
not enough starting cards to tinker a bit with (no "tinker" either, which was my favourite card ever), no way to know which set to invest in without directly pestering some other human being, truly bad search engine and overall ui (despite the whole game being basically an eternal cg total conversion), extremely lacking in game modes, grindy as hell pass. and, of course, no trading and selling cards.
this thing is a receptacle of all mtg's downsides and issues, with all electronic ccgs' downsides and issues.

so, what are the viable strategies in standard (which, as i can tell, should be the new "type 2" name)? sleigh? green tide? white weenie? counterspell? land break? buried alive?
considered the absence of "tinker", the best card ever, i could fancy a black deck, maybe a black/blue control, or a red if it's cool and not goblin based (despite having noticed "goblin grenade" is now valid).

edit: never mind, i thought bot battles gave money instead it's probably only 1 per day (or, worst case, per season, which would mean tomorrow i'm uninstalling), no idea how to unlock more game modes and the only one available is with those ultraretarded bicolor decks made with the only purpose of irritating people to no end.
Play MTGO vintage
Here's an example of a recent deck with tinker

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Tinker is one of the dumbest cards ever made btw and should be deleted from the card pool alongside Bazaar

ind33d

Educated
Magic was clearly intended to be played in best of 3 sealed for money like draw poker with titties. How it turned into a furfag whale pit boggles the mind
sealed?
disgusting
draft enables collusion
not enough starting cards to tinker a bit with (no "tinker" either, which was my favourite card ever), no way to know which set to invest in without directly pestering some other human being, truly bad search engine and overall ui (despite the whole game being basically an eternal cg total conversion), extremely lacking in game modes, grindy as hell pass. and, of course, no trading and selling cards.
this thing is a receptacle of all mtg's downsides and issues, with all electronic ccgs' downsides and issues.

so, what are the viable strategies in standard (which, as i can tell, should be the new "type 2" name)? sleigh? green tide? white weenie? counterspell? land break? buried alive?
considered the absence of "tinker", the best card ever, i could fancy a black deck, maybe a black/blue control, or a red if it's cool and not goblin based (despite having noticed "goblin grenade" is now valid).

edit: never mind, i thought bot battles gave money instead it's probably only 1 per day (or, worst case, per season, which would mean tomorrow i'm uninstalling), no idea how to unlock more game modes and the only one available is with those ultraretarded bicolor decks made with the only purpose of irritating people to no end.
Play MTGO vintage
Karn TGC being playable in Vintage is hilarious. Everyone at WOTC should be fired

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Magic was clearly intended to be played in best of 3 sealed for money like draw poker with titties. How it turned into a furfag whale pit boggles the mind
sealed?
disgusting
draft enables collusion

Play MTGO vintage
Karn TGC being playable in Vintage is hilarious. Everyone at WOTC should be fired
It's a one-sided null rod that makes the game feel dumb when it resolves. Archon of Emeria is another one such card.

timeouting on losing turn should follow an automatic 1 week ban. how pathetic must you be? eternal was plagued by this too. humanity is plagued by this. i hope they all die.

Dr1f7

Scholar
timeouting on losing turn should follow an automatic 1 week ban. how pathetic must you be? eternal was plagued by this too. humanity is plagued by this. i hope they all die.
embrace the timeout. it's proper etiquette to rope invoke despair players on every turn

I agree in sentiment but I tend to cut people slack since my internet's garbage and I often have to close the game and restart the program because MTGA is absolutely atrocious at recovering from an internet hiccup and I don't doubt there are people who think I'm fucking with them when I'm actually just cursing whoever the fuck made Arena. If they were really helpful they'd add a "Sorry I had to restart Arena" emote. Pisses me off a fair bit because a turn based card game shits itself when that happens and yet something that's more active like Diablo 4 just rolls with it and just did a little rubber banding at worst. Not to mention every other card game under the sun can recover from that smoothly.

when it always happens and always keeps happening on the last turn when math is against you with no mana available, it's not a matter of guessing what happened.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They can't handle losing, with their tournament winning deck they copied off the internet... They deserve torture.

i copied my deck too (can't be arsed to study the whole meta), but if i see i'm going to lose i just concede and go back. last time i played in a real tournament, stalling was a serious infraction.

Last edited:
this is depressing. this deck i copied supposedly came up second at some big tournament. i lose about 2 out of 7 matches, taking away when it's my fault it goes down to about 1 in 5. 20%. hell, my decks were considered "just for fun" when they had higher than 10% loss ratio.
also i usually mulligan 1 out of 3. i've NEVER seen an opponent do it.

Heavens, shark nipples are pretty stupid in limited. Started up a draft thinking I'd probably go azorious fliers since I haven't really looked over all the cards and that's usually a good plan when you don't know what the fuck you're doing, but pack 1 pick 1 there was a shark with tits in the breeze and I ended up drafting izzet spells, and every game seems to boil down to "Aggressively loot for shark and then shark will single-handedly win the game". I'm getting the bonus of everyone else ALSO not knowing what the fuck they're doing so usually my few other critters eat removal, but still.

Not sure how I feel about it as a draft set yet, either. Power level seems super high because everything can transform and shit out incubation tokens and there are all those multiverse legends or whatever the fuck they're calling them but it might be more active than I really feel like.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Heavens, shark nipples are pretty stupid in limited.
shark nipples?
I haven't played at all since the release of the new set, but I do miss this card
en_TxiY4in8gd.png

ind33d

Educated
Heavens, shark nipples are pretty stupid in limited.
shark nipples?
I haven't played at all since the release of the new set, but I do miss this card
en_TxiY4in8gd.png
typhoon is literally one of the worst-designed cards ever. the stupidity of control mirrors both holding up countermagic the entire game even though the bomb is a cycling effect that can't be absorbed is unfathomable

Dr1f7

Scholar
typhoon is literally one of the worst-designed cards ever. the stupidity of control mirrors both holding up countermagic the entire game even though the bomb is a cycling effect that can't be absorbed is unfathomable
but..
flying sharks are cool

no more base sets. no more dark ritual. no more counterspell. but wotc will send hitmen after you if they botch your online order. what a time to be alive.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
pinkerton thing is quite bizzare, although honestly i dont get what they are and how they can operate in the open

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom