Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:
i think there is no 1k daily cap?
did 2 daily quests(had banked) and received over 1k
There isn't a cap on XP you can earn in a day, no. It's just that each daily quest is 800, and then first win of the day is 100 and two after that are 50 each. So if you were stocked up on quests when the patch/new system went live you would've had 3 quests to knock out in a row.

spectre

Arcane
Really rotation isn't going to change much. Teferi gets replaced with Lily, rdw's two most important cards are steam kin and frenzy and they're not going anywhere. Mono blue is pretty weak and if anything new cards will make it stronger
Yeah, mono R doesn't really lose anything substantial apart from the Chainwhirler. Early drops are still in, Scorch Spitter is effectively a 2/1, Burning Prophets help your Frenzy going, etc.
I've yet to see a turn 0 Leyline being dropped on me. If it becomes a thing, new RDW will probably be less burn based and more honest creatures smashing face - instead of bolting, you'll be Infuriating for +3 damage per R

Mono U looks dead post rotation. Turn 2 Curious Obsession protected by Pierces and Dive Doons was the thing that kept it afloat, and no Opt means it no longer can safely work with 18 lands.
There are nice 4 drop flyers for it to use, so it just might try and adapt to a higher curve. The problem with card draw remains. Silent Submersible looks underwhelming.
I expect it to survive in some form, the new pirates look cool, and there's a Chart the Course replacement for flying creatures, although with no Tempest Djinn, there's really no incentive for staying monocolored.
Perhaps that role will be taken over by UW spirits or somesuch.

So, am I getting stuff wrong about the Eternal format, or they really want it DOA?

Ofc they do. People already own amonkhet & kaladesh. If these sets are legal once again, they can play mostly with cards from those, thus having to spend very little on the freshly released sets. That just won't do.
The accounts were wiped at the end of closed beta, so I believe we'll be starting from scratch here, unless they give us some kind of an introductory package to historic.

lobsterfrogman

Scholar
Not just Wildgrowth Walker, the entire retarded Explore mechanic

good riddance to bad rubbish
How was Explore retarded? Mechanics that let you manipulate library and decrease the RNG factor like Explore and Scry are incline. If you really need to shake your fist angrily at something do it at Cascade.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
the more i think about it the more this "mastery pass" smells like bullshit
i don't think i care about it at all

Jason Liang

Arcane
Not just Wildgrowth Walker, the entire retarded Explore mechanic

good riddance to bad rubbish
How was Explore retarded? Mechanics that let you manipulate library and decrease the RNG factor like Explore and Scry are incline. If you really need to shake your fist angrily at something do it at Cascade.
wot i luv cascade, bloodbraids 4 life

Jason Liang

Arcane
that's not why explore is retarded

etb creatures are lazy designs in the first place, and explore is dumber than even the average etb mechanic

why do you need to explore your own deck, you already know what's in your deck. Explore should reveal your opponent's cards.

Been having fun being a milling asshole again. I don't know why mill never ceases to amuse me, it's not like it's a deck with good depth to it and it's a jerk to play against but that retarded alternate win condition just pleases me. Plus I wanted to put Psychic Corrosion to work before it dies to rotation and I have to use Drowned Secrets. I also won't claim this is peak-mill or anything, but it's what I tossed together and it mostly works even though you need to make real goddamn sure that if your opponent has white and blue you have counters up to stop 3feri on 3 mana, or else your fogs are worthless and you're flat out dead. An argument could be made that Jace isn't needed if you aren't self-milling, but he's still good even for milling your opponent since he draws a card to replace himself and can act like some spot-healing if they attack him rather than your face if you don't have the mana up to fog.

4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
8 Forest (RIX) 196
14 Island (RIX) 193
3 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
3 Jace's Triumph (WAR) 55
4 Wilderness Reclamation (RNA) 149
4 Root Snare (RNA) 137
4 Pause for Reflection (GRN) 140
4 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
4 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
4 Psychic Corrosion (M19) 68
2 Quench (RNA) 48
1 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
lylQIVB.jpg

LOL

I'd actually suggest swapping the immortal sun for some shameful shameful Teferi in a deck like that, simply because it kinda counter-synergizes with Rule of Law. Planeswalker activations don't count against Rule of Law's single spell per turn, while the sun's double drawing and reduced mana cost encourages double (Or more) spelling. Especially if you get 3feri on the board and have counterspells in your deck. Your opponent would only be limited to playing a single card on his own turn since he couldn't even sneak an instant into your turn due to the planeswalker of Hearthstone, then you could just keep enough mana up to counter his one card a turn while laying into him and call it a day.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Good idea, I added 3feri and it's hilarious against any deck with blue lands. The bounce is also really funny with rule of law. I think I like immortal sun better than big teferi because it shuts up other planeswalkers and people don't really run artifact removal right now. Anyway this deck's really funny, I basically top deck some exile card every turn and people get pissed.

mmS3ZdS.jpg

xTC8UIQ.jpg

I may try making a rule of law bounce deck to troll more. Imagine playing one creature and having it bounced back to your hand every turn lol.

Apparently no constructed events for Historic? No drafting? That sucks. I can live without ranked (though this'll probably backfire unless they do some kind of MMR), but a glorified "play" mode does nothing for me.
These days I mostly just alternate drafts and constructed event.

I want them to have like a rotating ranked block format where you can only play cards from a certain block or combination of blocks. Rotate it every two weeks or so. Historic sounds kinda half baked

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
paste the deck dude

4 Rule of Law (M20) 35
3 Dovin, Grand Arbiter (RNA) 167
2 Dovin, Architect of Law (RNA) 265
3 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221

3 Temporal Machinations (DAR) 271
3 Depose // Deploy (RNA) 225
4 Blink of an Eye (DAR) 46
4 Perilous Voyage (XLN) 67
4 Arrester's Admonition (RNA) 31
4 Cleansing Nova (M19) 9
2 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34

8 Plains (RIX) 192
8 Island (RIX) 193
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255

Even god eternals ain't safe from the bounce

v2YmlVa.jpg

Last edited:
Is this expensive to keep up with?
Depends what you specifically mean by keeping up with it. Getting and maintaining a tier 1 competitive deck, no. You could probably do that reasonably as a free to play (Depends on the deck of course, 3 color decks can be harder to get just because of all the rarelands). The wildcard system means it's not that hard if you know specifically what you're shooting for. It's more expensive if you want a large card pool to fuck around with. You can still earn a bunch of cards as free to play, especially if you're good at drafting (Or good at constructed and feel like grinding out constructed events to earn cards and gold), but generally speaking it'd be an uphill battle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom