Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mainframe Defenders - mech tactics with 80s visuals

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
https://en.mainframe-game.com

Interesting tactics game that reminds me of Templar Battleforce from the Trese brothers. I just tried the demo and thought it was pretty good! The environments are fully destructible, and it separates Movement Points from Action Points. Only thing that annoys me is that the visuals get a bit cluttered, but you get used to it after a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sadly, I'm a sad old graphics whore; but I do see the virtue of keeping this kind of retro stuff alive. When the visuals are highly abstracted (and the gameplay more detailed and simulationist), the imagination fills in, so you get more of the imaginative sense of the virtual world you have when you're reading a novel, which in a way feels richer than if everything is represented "realisticallly."

(I wonder how far back you can go with graphics before they're just too simplistic to bear and you might as well just be reading an interactive novel then?)

AMG

Arbiter
I don't have problem with simple graphics, if done competently I even tend to prefer them these days over the AAA million polygon vapid vistas.
That said the effect used here that's supposed to imitate old displays or something looks really obnoxious to me. Hopefully it can be turned off.
Also the pixel font used is hideous and the sizes, colours and placement in the UI are all over the place.
Some ability icons look like they are improperly scaled as well.
Bascially, there are lots of little things that make this look somewhat offputing.

ColCol

Arcane
Bought it on sale, for 4.99 it's worth the price if you like turn based combat games. I dig the character building, where ( over the short campaign) you're basically given four slots to equip with weapons and passives to build a character. It's easy to understand and allows you to combine items to create some unique builds

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom