Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MASS EFFECT 5 - yes or no

Tytus

Arcane
The last Cora has decent haircut. :salute:

Cora always reminded me of Kate Gosselin.
I mean...
zP7AtqF38-48qTyBTH2tdo38ln7YCKIyidxliNGy63MZ79DMDddDhR0FJorIiignM96obicroWjKf2N4cBKbe7yzh4C8LzpElhHkGasV8jkEGieILJwrf2VSwznwsbVkE21DG3i7UYIhOB-Xr8YVkTxv8Pk-HXNF
kate-gosselin.jpeg
One of the reasons I can not get along with her character.

They may have tried to make their interpretation of Tasha Yar.

Tasha was hot. Don't you dare say that they tried to imitate her in any way.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Why this isn't Andromeda 2?

First, ship is nothing like ships in Andromeda, second, you can see somebody is remaking mass relays so they could be getting anywhere in the galaxy and beyond. And most likely they will.

Padzi

Arbiter
If it's prequel about first contact war I'd like that.
If it's sequel to ME 1-3 it's ok.
If it's Derpomeda 2.0 I can not wait for all shit and giggles.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
These early artworks already suggest a move toward more empty, large mass structures a`la this vacuous Oblivion movie (2013).

Mass Effect did best in the more crammed and spooky ruins of eerie worlds, not this shitty Winter Olympics commercial aesthetics.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If it's prequel about first contact war I'd like that.
If it's sequel to ME 1-3 it's ok.
If it's Derpomeda 2.0 I can not wait for all shit and giggles.

Andromeda wasn't even a bad idea, it was just horrible execution. A new space, with new aliens, where the old races are invaders or refugees or something, is a good way to bring exploration back. Exploration not just of space, but of lore and the setting in general.
Have to find a way to abandon the old, either going before it with a prequel, or moving away from it in space (like Andromeda) or very far in time (like thousand years in the future, something post-apocalyptic).
Actually a post-sci-fi-apocalypse would be interesting. Post-apocalypse is usually within our time, so we go back in time in terms of tech, rusty guns, scarce ammo... but if a space opera high sci-fi goes apocalyptic, and we explore the result of that, it would be a kind of different look.

Just make it new. Don't make it Mass Effect 4, with the same setting, same tech, same species, same characters even. That would be the worst.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
but if a space opera high sci-fi goes apocalyptic, and we explore the result of that, it would be a kind of different look.
Would play that.
Just make it new. Don't make it Mass Effect 4, with the same setting, same tech, same species, same characters even. That would be the worst.
Right, there isn't anything left to explore there and we have already seen it. Andromeda made sense as a concept but they couldn't deliver on it. Most of the time you were stuck with the same old aliens and only one new species of sentient ones was introduced.

Wesp5

Arcane
Actually a post-sci-fi-apocalypse would be interesting.

Isn't this what happened in all Mass Effect 3 endings? I mean the mass relays are gone, galaxy wide trade will break done and any world needing anything from another world would get some apocalyptic effects.

See the Star Wars sequels...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Andromeda had a good core idea of expansion and exploration.....but they did fuck it up. At least it had good shooting and glorious bugz and writing lol! Top level drinking game for sure,unless patched.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Didn't this happen with the new Dragon Age where they showed a bunch (er, a little) crappy concept art to remind people they were still pretending to make stuff?

Not super interested in where nuBioware will take Mass Effect, although the worst part is that when the developers quit, they spread their shittiness to other projects in the industry (Bloodlines 2).

I'll take a second look when they have something in-game, but I doubt they will before EA fully digests them.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I loved ME1. They cut out half of the stuff I liked in the second one and the other half in the third one.

ME1 was building up a universe to tell all kinds of stories in and you could tell a hell of a lot of thought went into making it a great setting for sequels. By ME3 Bioware had decided that they were making alien-fucking simulators because that's where the real money is. As long as that's their mentality they're not going to make games for me.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Andromeda, as a premise, was a brilliant way to continue the series. When I first heard about it I was so excited. Humanity + ME Aliens in another galaxy meeting strange new alien species and trying to survive after shit goes wrong with their transport vessel. If it had been designed with the same level of quality as ME1, it could have been so awesome.

Instead, it took a brilliant premise and did the absolute, most pedestrian, shit with it, including no interesting new alien species and some boring, retread, villains. Some of the NPCs were fun and had good sidequests, but the game overall was really mediocre.

Think of how awesome it would have been if they actually introduced as many new alien species as ME1 did, and if it had a survival element where the arc is greatly damaged so you have to manage resources as your desperately try to find a homeworld.

J1M

Arcane
Yes, bringing frontier justice to unexplored regions of space is a great theme. Bringing preferred pronouns to romanceable genderfluid furries is not.

The Bishop

Cipher
I can understand people preferring ME1, since it's the only game in the series that has generally sensible story and sense of direction. You can imagine a real person acting in a way you do in the circumstances you are presented with. It's not Dostoevsky, but it's functional writing in a consistent setting and it kinda works. Other games are just lolrandom ME themed fan fiction compressed into a game in no particular order. It might sound like a detraction, but this is basically what it is: a bunch of disjointed pieces written by a number of compartmentalized writers without much time or opportunity to interact and think things through.

What I don't understand is fixation on ME3 ending. What exactly people expect to happen in a game right after dealing with a super serial cyber ninja and resolving centuries old conflict with AI life form by urging everybody to not being mean to robots. I mean, how is ending any different in quality? It's the same nonsense spread uniformly throughout the game. I suspect that the only reason people find the ending particularly frustrating is because this is the moment when they finally lost all hope of satisfying resolution. But with the way it was developing up to that point there wasn't any chance of satisfying anything anyway.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Trilogies deserve boss battles.
Unless the boss battle is a big turret with triple health, and a grenade launcher respawns on a table in front of it, and the key to pick up the grenade launcher is the same as the key to hide behind said table is the same as the key to jump over said table.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
What I don't understand is fixation on ME3 ending. What exactly people expect to happen in a game right after dealing with a super serial cyber ninja and resolving centuries old conflict with AI life form by urging everybody to not being mean to robots. I mean, how is ending any different in quality? It's the same nonsense spread uniformly throughout the game. I suspect that the only reason people find the ending particularly frustrating is because this is the moment when they finally lost all hope of satisfying resolution. But with the way it was developing up to that point there wasn't any chance of satisfying anything anyway.

Sure there are a LOT of stupid things in the game and I wasn't expecting anything actually satisfying anymore, but I also wasn't expecting the absolute shitshow that it was.
I mean, the big bad goes "you must kill yourself in one of three ways in order to win, honest truth" and shepard goes "oh ok, guess I'm killing myself then". Not to mention that the designers apparently somehow thought activating the magic galaxywide death laser by blowing up a power conduit was a good idea, and then shepard decides the best way to do the blowing up is to shoot it and keep walking right up to it as it starts exploding.

The entire game was dumb, but that ending was unprecedented.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom