Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MASS EFFECT 5 - yes or no

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Personally, I've always considered KotOR the start of their decline.

Small, linear level design, 3-person max party size, etc. I've never understood why the game is as popular as it is other than it's Star Wars.

It's consoleshit mechanically but it's still enjoyable to play. The real stinker is DA2

I found DA2 to be the most unique and tight game in the DA series. Origins was banal, generic and slow, Inquisition a shameless Skyrim clone.

The only interesting thing about DA2 was that the plot moved through time, rather than through space. We stayed in the same space, and finishing a major quest moved us in time instead of leading us to the next space.
However this was soured a bit by how little the space itself changed. Famously a lot reused areas, not even rotating the caves a bit to confuse us, but also just no new shops opening, no new mayor or something, the only meaningful change was the qunari area.
Everything else in DA2 was a downgrade from Origins, I found. Maybe you can argue that physical damage builds were more interesting? Maybe? Maybe not.
Not having to defend the world against the New Definitive Apocalypse™ was refreshing enough. A refugee wants to make money, then some fuckers want a book, and in the end there's a peaceful protest against the cops. And every chapter touched and explored some relevant aspect of the setting (dwarven ruins in the deep roads, values of the Qunari, and the mages-templars conflict). The actual "game" still sucked, but everything around it wasn't garbage.

That's the same thing we said about Mass Effect Andromeda, and its idea to go to a new place, and have a frontier manifest destiny type narrative, with the would-be settles bickering while the natives try to win them for their side of the local conflict.. Good idea, shit game.

Vatnik Wumao

Small, linear level design, 3-person max party size, etc. I've never understood why the game is as popular as it is other than it's Star Wars.

It's consoleshit mechanically but it's still enjoyable to play. The real stinker is DA2

I found DA2 to be the most unique and tight game in the DA series. Origins was banal, generic and slow, Inquisition a shameless Skyrim clone.

The only interesting thing about DA2 was that the plot moved through time, rather than through space. We stayed in the same space, and finishing a major quest moved us in time instead of leading us to the next space.
However this was soured a bit by how little the space itself changed. Famously a lot reused areas, not even rotating the caves a bit to confuse us, but also just no new shops opening, no new mayor or something, the only meaningful change was the qunari area.
Everything else in DA2 was a downgrade from Origins, I found. Maybe you can argue that physical damage builds were more interesting? Maybe? Maybe not.
Not having to defend the world against the New Definitive Apocalypse™ was refreshing enough. A refugee wants to make money, then some fuckers want a book, and in the end there's a peaceful protest against the cops. And every chapter touched and explored some relevant aspect of the setting (dwarven ruins in the deep roads, values of the Qunari, and the mages-templars conflict). The actual "game" still sucked, but everything around it wasn't garbage.

That's the same thing we said about Mass Effect Andromeda, and its idea to go to a new place, and have a frontier manifest destiny type narrative, with the would-be settles bickering while the natives try to win them for their side of the local conflict.. Good idea, shit game.
And once again, horrible visual design. The new species introduced in Andromeda all look like shit.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Best way to continue series is to ignore Andromeda and plan new consistent trilogy.
And ME3 as well.
Unless you want it to play entirely on earth, with all the stranded races there trying to peacefully protest against each other.
Oh right... "synthesis". :hahano:
Bit of a boring space opera if you cannot into space tho.

Yeah, it's gonna be a prequel. Bonus points if you meet a young officer named "Shepard" collargrabbing with great impunity.
"We'll bang, okay?"

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Yeah, it's gonna be a prequel. Bonus points if you meet a young officer named "Shepard" collargrabbing with great impunity. "We'll bang, okay?"

I have extreme anxiety with prequels. No, it must be 100 years after Andromeda dealing with new villain who wants construct new Sovereign to command the reapers.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Would be at least enough time for everyone to create a FTL drive from all that reaper tech falling from the sky without the need for mass errect relays.
Being independent from waypoints let's you explore off the given path, finding new lifeforms untouched by proteans, and.... to boldly go where no collar was grabbed before! :salute:

Sorry.

JDR13

Arcane

:nocountryforshitposters:

eilef

Educated
After what happened with ME3 ending? After Andromeda? Leave the ME alone.

At this point Bioware can only ruin franchise further. Can you imagine ME with all the SJW crap showed in to it even more? Andromeda is not the limit.

Unless, they will go full repentance, and embrace indoctrination theory (and throw all this ME3 ending garbage out of the window), giving us Shepard - i am not interested. Indoctrination theory has to happen in order to properly continue the franchise. it’s a way better explanation than "star child catalyst" nonsense they gave us. Imagine we discover that all this time we were tricked by Reapers, and Shepard still has to beat them. I men if there is no Reaper threat, what the fuck ME4 will be about?

J1M

Arcane

At this point Bioware can only ruin franchise further. Can you imagine ME with all the SJW crap showed in to it even more? Andromeda is not the limit.

Unless, they will go full repentance, and embrace indoctrination theory (and throw all this ME3 ending garbage out of the window), giving us Shepard - i am not interested. Indoctrination theory has to happen in order to properly continue the franchise. it’s a way better explanation than "star child catalyst" nonsense they gave us. Imagine we discover that all this time we were tricked by Reapers, and Shepard still has to beat them. I men if there is no Reaper threat, what the fuck ME4 will be about?
Frontier justice in unexplored space. Stop acting like "dragon invades the realm" is the only possible story. Although it could be okay for one more game if Shepard gets to be the dragon.

In hindsight I find Dragon Age 2 somewhat interesting. While playing Persona 5 it was like: This game's day to day mundanity is exactly what Dragon Age 2 wanted to be and completely failed at, this time management turn based formula (you get some many days until the end, and each day has its own turns) of having to weigh working a job, hanging out with friends, training or studying to raise stats, and going on dungeon crawls would have been perfect for gamifying what DA2 was at least in theory shooting for...even if DA2 ultimately became the big "save the world" thing they said they weren't doing. It's kind of funny too given the tight schedule they were on for DA2, because the way that series handles everything would've been lessons in saving time and money.

It doesn't make Dragon Age 2 any less of a total failure in every way in could have been, (in fact it almost makes it more of one given how may years before DA2 the Persona 3 had used that formula) but I at least find something interesting about it now, even if that thing is just another way it failed.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

(a) some enclave of ancient aliens that were hiding from the Reapers suddenly attack the post-apocalyptic ruins of the post-Reaper War Milky Way. We've already established this is possible in the Leviathan DLC, and it could be the Leviathans themselves (they were formerly galactic slavers anyway). Really, the idea the Reapers could successfully purge every cycle totally of life is a bit naïve, it's more than possible at least one developed the cloaking technology needed to hide themselves totally from Reaper vision for millions of years.

(b) some Reaper tech survived and is causing some kind of problem. Maybe the Reapers had a contingency plan. Maybe there is at least one Reaper still surviving free of Shepard's choice at the end of ME3 because it was just outside the border of the Milky Way Galaxy when Shepard chose his favorite color.

(c) in the unprecedented chaos following the aftermath of the Reaper War, a new order is arising in the Milky Way Galaxy and only a hero of Shepardian proportions can stop it

(d) some combination of all 3.

J1M

Arcane

(a) some enclave of ancient aliens that were hiding from the Reapers suddenly attack the post-apocalyptic ruins of the post-Reaper War Milky Way. We've already established this is possible in the Leviathan DLC, and it could be the Leviathans themselves (they were formerly galactic slavers anyway). Really, the idea the Reapers could successfully purge every cycle totally of life is a bit naïve, it's more than possible at least one developed the cloaking technology needed to hide themselves totally from Reaper vision for millions of years.

(b) some Reaper tech survived and is causing some kind of problem. Maybe the Reapers had a contingency plan. Maybe there is at least one Reaper still surviving free of Shepard's choice at the end of ME3 because it was just outside the border of the Milky Way Galaxy when Shepard chose his favorite color.

(c) in the unprecedented chaos following the aftermath of the Reaper War, a new order is arising in the Milky Way Galaxy and only a hero of Shepardian proportions can stop it

(d) some combination of all 3.
(e) Time skip a little and the reaper plot device is never mentioned again.

Sykar

Arcane
Sure if you are so gayhot for it:
tumblr_pb93npLYM51w4afwno1_250.gifv

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom