Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Memoirs of a Battle Brothel - a NSFW Cyberpunk RPG

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Looking forward to the DLC!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

There won't be any DLCs but there is a full sequel about vampires and a stealth (parody) sequel in the works, the latter of which is coming out at the end of this month. They both have codex threads:

Vampire Syndicate: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...nfall-isometric-cyberpunk-vampire-rpg.141452/

Baldr's Squid Isekai: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/baldrs-squid-isekai-a-parody.148458/

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm a known entity now. I'm finally famous.

1709707857008.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just a blogpost, but I'll leave it here:

I own my IP 100% and all creatives should too

Hi all,

A few recent events, not specifically one in particular, have made me think about IP ownership and how it affects creatives in general. So I decided to write a little rant that might be insightful to other people who are thinking about entering the creative field.

Own your work. Own it all.

This is the only way to not only guarantee that you will have complete artistic freedom, but also maintain some degree of business ethics (if you’re an ethical person). From time to time, I make some promises and statements about how I go about developing and selling games. I want people to enjoy my games and the worlds I create, and I never want them to feel cheated or deceived.

It is entirely because I am my own boss that I can make these kind of grandiose statements. There are no strings over me, no massive corporations that I take marching orders from, no investors or any other organized group that I owe fealty to when it comes to my games.

I understand that it is a tremendous advantage that I have over 99% of the games industry, and it comes with very high costs (the main one being that I do not have a stable salary). I know as a solodev I have chosen one of the hardest ways to compete in this industry. Hard in so many ways I can’t really list them all here.

But I’m not here to sell millions of copies so I can afford a penthouse in some exotic foreign locale. I make games because there is something in my soul that I want to share, and a vision that I would like to see completed.

So yes, going solo is hard. But you will own your ideas. You will not just be another faceless employee for some corporation. It is still possible to make art. And if you can accept the consequences for that, and if your heart yearns for something beautiful… then perhaps it is a mountain you should climb.

-ManlyMouseDan

Phinx

Augur
Just a blogpost, but I'll leave it here:

I own my IP 100% and all creatives should too

Hi all,

A few recent events, not specifically one in particular, have made me think about IP ownership and how it affects creatives in general. So I decided to write a little rant that might be insightful to other people who are thinking about entering the creative field.

Own your work. Own it all.

This is the only way to not only guarantee that you will have complete artistic freedom, but also maintain some degree of business ethics (if you’re an ethical person). From time to time, I make some promises and statements about how I go about developing and selling games. I want people to enjoy my games and the worlds I create, and I never want them to feel cheated or deceived.

It is entirely because I am my own boss that I can make these kind of grandiose statements. There are no strings over me, no massive corporations that I take marching orders from, no investors or any other organized group that I owe fealty to when it comes to my games.

I understand that it is a tremendous advantage that I have over 99% of the games industry, and it comes with very high costs (the main one being that I do not have a stable salary). I know as a solodev I have chosen one of the hardest ways to compete in this industry. Hard in so many ways I can’t really list them all here.

But I’m not here to sell millions of copies so I can afford a penthouse in some exotic foreign locale. I make games because there is something in my soul that I want to share, and a vision that I would like to see completed.

So yes, going solo is hard. But you will own your ideas. You will not just be another faceless employee for some corporation. It is still possible to make art. And if you can accept the consequences for that, and if your heart yearns for something beautiful… then perhaps it is a mountain you should climb.

-ManlyMouseDan
Kudos to you. I couldn't ever imagine learning how to develop games, only to slave away creating somebody else's vision.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Kudos to you. I couldn't ever imagine learning how to develop games, only to slave away creating somebody else's vision.

The learning part is getting easier. Gamedev tools are becoming more accessible all the time. Even professional engines like Unreal can now be reasonably wrangled by just one dude in a basement.

If you're worried about the money aspect (and people should be, tbh) try it as a hobby.

Phinx

Augur

The learning part is getting easier. Gamedev tools are becoming more accessible all the time. Even professional engines like Unreal can now be reasonably wrangled by just one dude in a basement.

If you're worried about the money aspect (and people should be, tbh) try it as a hobby.
I do work on a mod as a hobby (Shadowrun Hong Kong Engine). Crappy and limited engine with an extremely barebones turn-based combat, but at least it fits the setting and aesthetics I wanted. I'm a big cyberpunk fan like yourself judging by your previous work.

What it did teach me is that I'm not cut out for gamedev, as bringing my visions to life will bury me under a pile of work I won't be able to climb out of. My ideas and expectations are too much, and sadly I refuse to settle.

And besides, as great as working for myself in game dev would be, as well as the freedom that it would afford me. My true goal is a different kind of freedom that no job nor pile of money will ever give me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom