Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memorable cRPG villain

Codex Year of the Donut
Updating my .txts about anyone mentioning Handsome Jack as a well-done villain. Admittedly I didn’t get far into BLand 2, but that was… ah, not my experience.
To consider him a good villain you'd have to play TPS. Which was... surprisingly not bad. Felt closer to BL1 than BL2.
The problem is the lolsowhacky setting just makes everything kinda meaningless when they actually do attempt to do any serious storytelling. Meh.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
DM-Creature-LordChaos.gif
CSB-Creature-LordChaos.gif

if6t5g.png

Lord Chaos from Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back

Rather than confronting him directly, in the first game Lord Chaos is defeated by being surrounded with flux cages and then fused together with Lord Order. In the sequel, although Lord Chaos makes an appearance at the end, he should be bypassed entirely in favor of throwing the Corbum pieces into the lava pit.

Brancaleone

Prophet
Kraka-Tur.

Because of him I had to go through an ungodly drudge squashing dozens of pretend-dragon shitheads, instead of the epic battle against the Bellerogrim I deserved.

visions

Arcane
All three members of the Sith Triumvirate from Knights of the Old Republic 2. Darth Nihilus as the spooky omnipotent threat capable of devouring entire planets, Darth Sion as the physical enemy you can defeat in combat - but are afraid to even try. And Darth Traya, ofcourse, which you get to know really well before you finally cross the lightsabers.

Funny how differently people perceive things. They're all literally who to me, the only reason I remember Darth Nihilus is because he had a cool name (at least I thought so as a teenager). Maybe a replay of KOTOR and KOTOR 2 is in order.

Dagoth Ur is the most memorable villain to me, because of the story and his role in the history of Morrowind, how he haunts you in your dreams and invites you to join him etc. But it's disappointing that you couldn't join him. But on the other hand, joining him would be hard to combine with being able to continue playing the game indefinitely, how Morrowind is designed.

The fight against him was also disappointing, p. sure that he fell into the lava in his chamber in one of my playthroughs. Also it was lame that his dungeon was so underwhelming, there were other much cooler dungeons in Morrowind (Argntkhand or however you spell it, Kogoruhn, Urshilaku burial caverns).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mr. House in Fallout: New Vegas

Mr House :

• Saved a entire city
  • Protected his city from outsiders
  • Offered security, water, electricity to his city
  • IS preventing his private propriety from becoming another corrupt failed democracy or a tyranny.
  • He wanna let NCR to live or even work for him. While NCR wanna kill him
He is just a successful businessman. Nothing wrong with that. HE is not a villain. NCR is a villain. They annex everyone into their territory collecting taxes, imposing retarded regulations and don't allow people to declare independence.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Only greeks plays had villains. A properly made RPG PC games has detailed story and doesn't need a villain.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Mr. House in Fallout: New Vegas

Mr House :

• Saved a entire city
  • Protected his city from outsiders
  • Offered security, water, electricity to his city
  • IS preventing his private propriety from becoming another corrupt failed democracy or a tyranny.
  • He wanna let NCR to live or even work for him. While NCR wanna kill him
He is just a successful businessman. Nothing wrong with that. HE is not a villain. NCR is a villain. They annex everyone into their territory collecting taxes, imposing retarded regulations and don't allow people to declare independence.

I do have to say, the philosophical and political conflict between Mr. House, the NCR and Caesar's Legion is one of the best I've seen in any video game.

madbringer

Arcane
What is the first character that comes into your mind upon reading the phrase "memorable cRPG villain"?

I found Trajkov and Goettsch in GeneForge 1 quite interesting, from a story standpoint. Neither are villains, really, but are quite clearly opposed to what u want to do... until u don't. Very nice dynamic which u rarely experience in any game.

A few I remember that weren't mentioned here:
-Butcher from Diablo, and the demon bitch with multiple arms in Diablo 2. And the other multiarm bitch in IWD. Any multi-arm bitch, really.
-Frank Horrigan. Essentially a Super-Supermutant + Power Armor.
-Any Dragon fight in DnD
-That old geezer from Alpha Protocol. On your first run, you pick a hand-to-hand fight with him and he proceeds to mop the floor with you.

And not an RPG, but Kyle Katarn (if you are the villain) with his Force wrestling.

Vatnik Wumao
If by villain you only mean antagonist rather than a particular character archetype, then I'd add Loghain to the list alongside figures like Sarevok and Letho.

Guy's a tragic figure who did something foolish but with good intent. His undervaluing of the Grey Wardens was a direct result of his pragmatism (given that he had no tangible proof of the Wardens' usefulness as anything other than perhaps a group of skilled warriors, not knowing of the concrete role that they had to play in slaying an Archdemon) and partly accentuated due to Cailan's overvaluing of them. And beyond that, his fear of Orlais was likewise justified given Ferelden's recent history (while likewise being partly accentuated due to his own personal history, although admittedly most of that - but not all! - is fleshed out outside of DAO).

A true Fereldan patriot that man and anyone who murders him due to Alistair's temper tantrum is a faggot.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Emperor Hawthorne.

I despise every one of those Empire fucks and stepping through the portal to face waves of his soldiers brings back nightmares.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Harry from DDO. "TOOOOOO LATE, MORTALS!" Well, he's not Harry, but his name is too fucking long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom