Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid Δ (Snake Eater Remake) - PC/PS5/Xbox confirmed to use original voice files

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
What about MGS 4 ?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The amount of detail is also quite impressive, though I think this may work against them
The original game already was quite dense in enviromental that if you didn't pay attention you could miss out many interactable fauna and flora
But at the same time, they were distinct enough that once you had knowledge of them you could quickly pick them out from the background (even on new levels)
On what they presented here though...

This was my main concern with the visuals, when the first in-game screenshots were released
But after this trailer I am willing to give whatever team is working on this the benefit of the doubt as I was able, even with youtube's compression, to pick on quite few small things when they showed larger shots of the levels

Otherwise
I still like the lighting, the enviroments were pleasent and essentially 1:1 recreations
And the amount of details is still impressive - now they've even added effects of the dirt and mud on clothes
Well done chaps (though I can already see this game taking 100+ gb of storage)

Now onto the gameplay
And it's a copy pasta of MGS5 mechanics and controls...
Down to animations even, with the only changes seem to be the ones related to CQC

Dammit they even added crouch walking
"Why is this bad?", some of you may ask.
Well the original games were made with only 2 stances of movement in mind - upright walking (which is fast but leaves too exposed) and crawling (which is very discrete but very slow)
Crouch walking was introduced in the 3DS version of Snake Eater and... it broke the game's difficulty
Why?
You got the speed with of walking, with the low visibility of crawling

Now this may not be a such problem if there are proper responses from the AI and adjustments to the movement's speed, noise and visibility
But at the end of the day it's still agaisnt MGS3 core design
This type of sneaking was excellent for MGS5 because it's levels were large, open and was filled with threats that perform long and thourough patrols (to incentivize immediate action and adaption)
MGS3 levels (even it's bigger and less linear ones) are small, closed-off and have few enemies that performed short patrols (to incentivize planning and methodical action)

I guess it's another consequence of the standardization of controls
General audiences would likely have an aneurysm if it played like some old ps2 game...

Oh well...
We'll see how it turns out

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I wonder why they aren’t. Fox Engine seemed good.
It's also 10 years old and being a AAA company, Konami would be expected to update it
It's cheaper to just switch for Unreal

It triggers my autism how he's grabbing that mud cliff edge in the trailer.
It's a rock cliff

I thought it would be better to play the PS2 versions again because of the effects that didn't carry over to the PS3 version and screwups like the excessive bloom shown in the screenshot comparison two pages ago.
That comparasion is bullshit
I re-played the End fight last September, on the Xbox 360 HD collection through Xenia, and there was nothing of the sort
Bluepoint tastelessly added their own credits to the end
Oh how dare they.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Just Locus

Educated
What is it with remakes and having really terrible names? There is no reason they couldn't have just called this "Metal Gear Solid 3: SE Remake" or something along those lines, no one on Earth is going to call it "MGS Triangle: Snake Eater" or whatever, It's just a pet peeve of mine, It just feels like really lazy naming, I disliked it with the Demon Souls Remake (At least Demon Souls was a short enough title that adding a "Remake" suffix wouldn't make it into a mouthful) and I dislike it now.

Caim

Arcane
What is it with remakes and having really terrible names? There is no reason they couldn't have just called this "Metal Gear Solid 3: SE Remake" or something along those lines, no one on Earth is going to call it "MGS Triangle: Snake Eater" or whatever, It's just a pet peeve of mine, It just feels like really lazy naming, I disliked it with the Demon Souls Remake (At least Demon Souls was a short enough title that adding a "Remake" suffix wouldn't make it into a mouthful) and I dislike it now.
The Δ is the Greek letter Delta, which in Western script is the letter D.

Ergo, the game's name is Metal Gear Solid D: Snake Eater.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Some of this searching the maze-like base for items in the original Metal Gear is just bad for feeling so aimless. A higher level card key replacing a lower level card key, like in later games, would be so much better than carrying six of them. Guessing the game is almost over, because the item inventory is full. I still say people who wanted/want a remake of these first two games with Kojima or not are fools. Would take too much time that could be spent on an original game and involve too many retcons that would be discovered in the "Previous Mission" text available in the menu of Metal Gear Solid. The story is really thin, so they would have to take abundant liberties with it. Metal Gear and Portable Ops are the only ones in the main canon that I haven't finished yet. I don't plan to play Portable Ops, since it was never ported to a console and that was the beginning of the recruiting and base management that I think so degraded the series by making it feel less like an adventure where you were dropped in, found your weapons and items and persisted until it was over. In Portable Ops, Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid V, he could just leave whenever. Metal Gear Solid is better linear, although progression like in the first two MSX games but with better design in a full 3D game could have been lovely too. But that's still essentially linear.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
The amount of detail is also quite impressive, though I think this may work against them
The original game already was quite dense in enviromental that if you didn't pay attention you could miss out many interactable fauna and flora
But at the same time, they were distinct enough that once you had knowledge of them you could quickly pick them out from the background (even on new levels)
On what they presented here though...

This was my main concern with the visuals, when the first in-game screenshots were released
But after this trailer I am willing to give whatever team is working on this the benefit of the doubt as I was able, even with youtube's compression, to pick on quite few small things when they showed larger shots of the levels

Otherwise
I still like the lighting, the enviroments were pleasent and essentially 1:1 recreations
And the amount of details is still impressive - now they've even added effects of the dirt and mud on clothes
Well done chaps (though I can already see this game taking 100+ gb of storage)

Now onto the gameplay
And it's a copy pasta of MGS5 mechanics and controls...
Down to animations even, with the only changes seem to be the ones related to CQC

Dammit they even added crouch walking
"Why is this bad?", some of you may ask.
Well the original games were made with only 2 stances of movement in mind - upright walking (which is fast but leaves too exposed) and crawling (which is very discrete but very slow)
Crouch walking was introduced in the 3DS version of Snake Eater and... it broke the game's difficulty
Why?
You got the speed with of walking, with the low visibility of crawling

Now this may not be a such problem if there are proper responses from the AI and adjustments to the movement's speed, noise and visibility
But at the end of the day it's still agaisnt MGS3 core design
This type of sneaking was excellent for MGS5 because it's levels were large, open and was filled with threats that perform long and thourough patrols (to incentivize immediate action and adaption)
MGS3 levels (even it's bigger and less linear ones) are small, closed-off and have few enemies that performed short patrols (to incentivize planning and methodical action)

I guess it's another consequence of the standardization of controls
General audiences would likely have an aneurysm if it played like some old ps2 game...

Oh well...
We'll see how it turns out
Hmm? MGS3 had three states:

1. upright running
2. upright walking/stalking exclusively with the d-pad. Very slow and vulnerable, but required to sneak up on people without any giveaway. It was a nice addition over the old games to make sneaking even harder, but it did convolute things a little.
3. crawling

But anyhow, you're right: throwing MGS5 mechanics into MGS3 levels without major changes to AI , enemy placement or the player in other regards (what can you even do? the AI were already very intelligent) is going to utterly break the game.
I'll pass for sure. The game was designed meticulously around isometric camera, being unable to move while precision aiming, no regen health etc. That along with many other things made it stand out from other games. Prepare for its identity, style and nuance to be lost. the only way for this to be good if this is the direction they're going for is if it is completely different than the original in every way, not just mechanics, but then it is basically a new game so why are we calling it a snake eater remake?

There are very few classics left to butcher at this point. I wonder what old gold is next to get the retard treatment?

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wasn't a good use of the D-pad. An analog stick allows for more than two levels of movement, lol. Could have assigned some of the items to the D-pad. There was so much to bind to L2 in the survival viewer. Or they could have made the different sections of the survival viewer accessible with the D-pad, to save the player the one step in the pause menu. Camouflage, Backpack, Food, Cure.

Ash

Arcane
I agree, but I imagine they wanted to make it 100% rigid/constant . I mean maybe they thought it would not be fully clear where the line between no noise made and making noise, how far the player can push on the stick. At least I imagine that was their logic, yet it could just be done by animation change, e.g anything between dead zone and 80% radius of the stick is sneaking, 80%-100% is running. fuck knows their logic. It's weird.

Maybe it's because they wanted that stalking animation snake does with the d-pad mode, which would look weird when transitioning (tweening) to running all the time with the stick, potentially every time you wanted to move.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I can set up the PS2 controller in RPCS3 as SDL and MMJoyStick, but it doesn't show up under DualShock 3, doesn't show in Device Manager and Windows doesn't tell me that new hardware is being installed when I plug it in. I think I need to set it up as DualShock 3 to use the pressure sensitive buttons. Tried the DsHidMini driver, but the controller doesn't show in the Devices list of that program. I wonder if this controller is a fake. Has all the official branding. I don't remember what the buttons felt like, since it's been almost two decades.

Ezekiel

Arcane
ds2.jpg

Is this what it should look like? I tried 20 and 80 percent as well when trying to set it up as MMJoystick.

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's not like MGS2 and 3 were even the only games with pressure sensitive face button functions. Vice City, San Andreas, Gran Turismo 4... Pisses me off so much that Sony just dropped it with the PS4, causing third parties to follow. A successor should be better than its predecessor if it's going to have the same layout. Maybe I should blame every asshole moving primary actions to the triggers with cramped over the shoulder cameras in everything.

Ordered another adapter that a YouTuber claims works.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092V8483T

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Needed the compass to cross the desert. Called Jennifer in front of the locked door on the northeast of building 2 floor 2.

"This is Jennifer. I'll open the door. Over."

How the hell was I supposed to figure that out? Could have been running around the complex forever!

Ezekiel

Arcane
mg2.jpg

I laughed.

Running Man is a crappy boss, because after taking so long to tip-toe over the sinking swamp and drowning once in the attempt, I don't have any of the mines that I collected from the sand up north. I can't remember if you need mines to defeat him, but it's obvious.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Purchased the adapter recommended by this YouTuber, and dshidmini now recognizes the DualShock 2 as a DS3. I have selected DS3 in the emulator, but the pressure sensitivity doesn't work. Reading one of the comments below the video, from someone with the same issue as me, I don't think the YouTuber actually knows for certain if this is the correct method for DS2 controllers. But he says so anyway.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The game was designed meticulously around isometric camera
Nah
The isometric camera in Snake Eater for the most part sucked - the changes made in Subsistence really saved the game

The problem with the fixed camera in 3 imo was that:
  • it didn't account for players going backwards - the camera would primarly point towards the entrance to next area, so the camera would never adjust itself if the player was going the oposite direction
  • in more open areas the camera would never give you a proper wide view, so the player would constantly get spotted by far away enemies
The best use of fixed camera in the franchise is imo MGS2
The camera framing in the Tanker level perfectly accounts for enemy patrols, the player's position and the dimensions of the area
Even the Big Shell which has some less than adequate camera shots, still does a consistenlty good job

Ash

Arcane
Interesting. I am not familiar with the game enough to debate you. I got the OG game when it came out in 2005, played multiple playthroughs in a row until I had 100% everything (even getting all 100 green frogs, lol, poor choice of my time that was) and done the extreme difficulties, then never touched it again. I'm still of the opinion it's a great game but even now I don't have much desire to replay it. Trying to put my finger on why. Probably all the cutscenes, even though you can just skip them you're not getting the true experience if you do that, and it is quite a short game in reality. Nonetheless MGS3 gameplay is good, but it does also require multiple playthroughs to get the most out of. So once you've done that once, you're done I guess.

This is also precisely how I feel about MGS2, even moreso in fact because the big shell while OK is quite a bit dull and linear, and a lot of the cutscenes are kind of cringe (overall story still has value though). MGS1 though, I have played since 1998 more than once, and probably will play again one day. while the overall gameplay depth is lesser, I think it has better pacing (gameplay to cutscene ratio), cool factor, and while there is plenty cutscenes they don't quite drag as much. Oh and the music is fucking badass too, while in the sequels it's just alright. It also is just a 90s VIBE.

With all that said, I still think MGS3 is the best overall in the series. The gameplay is really quite good...when you actually get to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Metal Gear Solid 3's fixed camera angles are awesome. A lot of the kerotans you find quicker just because the camera looks upon what is intended to be seen. It's cinematic in a way movie game developers of today will never understand. It spares you from having to use your thumb for too many actions. But, yes, it is limiting. I try to use it as much as possible, since the thought behind the level design is largely wasted by playing it with the rotational cam. If they thought people were going to play it with the rotational cam, they would have mapped the world out quite differently.

That Ebay seller sent me another PS2 controller for some reason. Now I have two. Same issue. Pressure sensitivity not working on any of the buttons.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Another option is running MGS3 through Xenia - no need to remap pressure stuff there, they simply had L3 as a function toggle.
Have something crazier in mind. I will order a DualShock 2 controller and a USB adapter. DualShock 3 controllers had poor build quality.

Or you could look into getting a Retro Fighters Defender gamepad.
Ordered and left that YouTuber a bad comment for just assuming. The wikia and pcgamingwiki say nothing about DualShock 2 controller button sensitivity in RPCS3.

I'll probably keep the PS2 controllers and adapters in case it changes in the future, since they are not being made anymore.

The list of games with pressure sensitive functions is much longer than I thought.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_Pressure-Sensitive_Face_Buttons

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Metal Gear Solid 3's fixed camera angles are awesome.
Sorry but no
Besides the 2 major problems above, there's also these facts that Snake Eater's camera framing for most areas don't account for:
- enemies in 3 have much better senses (both view distance, fov and hearing - not to mention, more inteligent AI behavior)
- the enviroments are far larger, far more cluttered and their geography far more complex (meaning areas can't be as easily and quickly read like in 1 and 2, plus enemies are more difficult to spot)
- no soliton radar

The end result is that, sneaking around in many areas in the original version, veers to much into trial and error

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom