Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid Δ (Snake Eater Remake) - PC/PS5/Xbox confirmed to use original voice files

Ezekiel

Arcane
Still annoys me that the picture Grain shows Snake of his Metal Gear in MGS3 is of REX and not the design from the original Metal Gear. Another retcon, claiming Otacon did nothing important and pretending these machines did not evolve over time.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Also REALLY bothers me that they never fixed it so that the alert and caution statuses remained after you entered a new area and died. It made you not wanna flee into a new area. Because if you died, then it was like you respawned in easy mode, your mistakes in the previous area forgiven. The only solution was to save in every area or reload the save in the previous area.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Still annoys me that the picture Grain shows Snake of his Metal Gear in MGS3 is of REX and not the design from the original Metal Gear. Another retcon, claiming Otacon did nothing important and pretending these machines did not evolve over time.
what picture?

Also REALLY bothers me that they never fixed it so that the alert and caution statuses remained after you entered a new area and died.
Can't remember if this true or not
Will have to test it out once I manage to fix the damn 360 emulator

In any case, I do remember that if you die the items you previously spent are still gone and the alert + kill count remnains increased (so if you're going for a foxhound rank, you can forget about it)

Ezekiel

Arcane

Video should start at 2:28. He shows him Metal Gear REX. RETCON!

Alert gone after entering new area and dying. Lame.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Video should start at 2:28. He shows him Metal Gear REX.
I don't know man, the image is kinda blurry
Even if it is REX, you could chalk it up to being a easter egg (like the RAY toys in Granin's office)
But I wouldn't exactely consider it a retcon because when we first meet Hal in MGS1 he says that - his grandfather worked on the Manhattan Project and his father worked on nuclear weapons development research - and you can see in that video a picture of either Hal father or grandfather
So Metal Gear are the Emmerich family tradition

Alert gone after dying. Lame.
Was it like this in the original Snake Eater release?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Video should start at 2:28. He shows him Metal Gear REX.
I don't know man, the image is kinda blurry
Even if it is REX, you could chalk it up to being a easter egg (like the RAY toys in Granin's office)
But I wouldn't exactely consider it a retcon because when we first meet Hal in MGS1 he says that - his grandfather worked on the Manhattan Project and his father worked on nuclear weapons development research - and you can see in that video a picture of either Hal father or grandfather
So Metal Gear are the Emmerich family tradition

That's a stretch, though. Why would Otacon not develop previous designs into his own idea, being such an anime fanboy? No reason for it other than annoying fanservice when they had the MSX graphic. It's definitely REX.

Alert gone after dying. Lame.
Was it like this in the original Snake Eater release?

It has always been like this. In the whole trilogy and even MGS4, on every system.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Found a better image:

D1-OD29k-Uw-AAyg-Hr.jpg

The design on the left is clearly REX - in fact it seems like a MGS1 screenshot
The design on the center, I can't really figure it, but it doesn't seem like REX
And the design on the right is an artwork and given the rounder shape of the front it's possible it's from MG1 or MG2

Regardless, I do think these designs are merely visual easter eggs like the RAY model behind Granin's chair
I think the only canonical takeaway here is really just the one from the text/dialogue - Granin first came with the idea of the bipedal tank, sent his research to Otacon's father/grandfather and then Otacon took the concept, developed it and realised it

It has always been like this. In the whole trilogy and even MGS4, on every system.
Then it's not something to be "fixed" like a bug, it's part of the difficulty design

For Easy and Nnormal mode there's nothing wrong with it
For the highest difficulty mode it's also not an issue, since getting spotted equals "Game Over"
Now for the in-between Hard mode, I do agree it's lame - but don't agree that you should spawn in the new area, with the Alert or Evasion phase, that would be irritating and overly punishing - instead the player should either, revive in the area he triggered the alarm in Quiet phase, or at the most punishing, revive in the area he died in Cautin phase

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh, you mean European Extreme. I don't get the point of that mode. Is it not identical to Extreme except for the instant fail, and would you not accomplish the same thing by acquiring the stealth camo in Extreme? I've beaten it. Not in eleven years, though.

It IS something to be fixed in Hard and regular Extreme, because it's like an exploit. Spawning with the alert/evade/caution status you had before wouldn't be too punishing. Rather, it would give the games difficulty that they need. They are too easy. It would give more motivation for avoiding combat. There is still the save system to balance out any excessive difficulty.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Also, I don't like having to play Extreme just to make the fighting with the soldiers more challenging. Because it makes the bosses much harder too. I don't think I ever beat MGS2 on Extreme.

Ash

Arcane
Also, I don't like having to play Extreme just to make the fighting with the soldiers more challenging. Because it makes the bosses much harder too. I don't think I ever beat MGS2 on Extreme.
Casual!

:killitwithfire:

911 Jumper

Educated
Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection’s latest patch lists 20 fixes
METAL GEAR SOLID
Added save functionality improvements (Steam®)
Updated the Online Manual (Steam®)
Fixed some other minor issues

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY
An issue where a “Damaged File” error is sometimes displayed when trying to load save data (Steam®)
Fixed an issue that caused the frame rate to drop during certain scenes (Nintendo Switch™)
Fixed an issue where videos would stop playing (Xbox Series X|S)
Fixed an issue affecting users who purchased the game in Japan where the English opening video would play even in the Japanese version of the game (Xbox Series X|S & Steam®)

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER
Fixed an issue where some buttons were assigned multiple functions (Details on the updated controls are available in the Online Manual)
Fixed an issue where the audio was out of sync with certain videos
Fixed an issue that caused flickering in some cutscenes (Nintendo Switch™)
Fixed an issue where continually holding down certain buttons sometimes resulted in errors occuring (PlayStation®4)
Updated the Online Manual

METAL GEAR & METAL GEAR 2: SOLID SNAKE
Fixed some minor issues
MASTER COLLECTION BONUS CONTENT
Fixed some minor issues

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
European Extreme. I don't get the point of that mode.
You trigger the Alert phase, it's "Game Over"
It forces the player to ghost

would you not accomplish the same thing by acquiring the stealth camo in Extreme?
You can only get Stealth Camo by not triggering Alert in a playthrough, or by shooting all the dolls
Besides using Stealth Camo ruins challenge of ghosting

Spawning with the alert/evade/caution status you had before wouldn't be too punishing.
It would be too punishing, because the player was already properly punished when he got killed - which again, also carries the penalty of the permanent loss of items and dirting up your final score
And again, it would be irrating to hit the retry button and immediately get thrown in the worst situation the player can be in - it's more fair to start at the moment before the player made a mistake

Also, it's still an exploit to start at the area you died but with an Alert
You can't still go for the next area, even if you die there, the palyer will still revive with progress made

Ezekiel

Arcane
European Extreme. I don't get the point of that mode.
You trigger the Alert phase, it's "Game Over"
It forces the player to ghost

would you not accomplish the same thing by acquiring the stealth camo in Extreme?
You can only get Stealth Camo by not triggering Alert in a playthrough, or by shooting all the dolls
Besides using Stealth Camo ruins challenge of ghosting

No, I meant that not being seen in Extreme and unlocking the stealth camo is the same as playing European Extreme. But I misremembered the award for the kerotans. Thought it was the infinity face paint, but that's the tsuchinoko, the snake you capture with a mouse trap. I still wouldn't even mention European Extreme when talking about highest difficulty, wouldn't complicate (or allow someone obsessed with minutiae like me to complicate) a discussion about difficulty by bringing it up. As far as I can tell the mode is identical to Extreme except for the instant fail when seen, and the game already records all your alerts and shows the number in the end results anyway. European Extreme just robs you of 1/3 of the non-boss gameplay, spares you from having to fight. I wonder if it was the localization team that first added it in Metal Gear Solid 2 rather than Konami Japan. That it was not available in other regions until the HD Collection kind of invalidates it from the discussion.

Spawning with the alert/evade/caution status you had before wouldn't be too punishing.
It would be too punishing, because the player was already properly punished when he got killed - which again, also carries the penalty of the permanent loss of items and dirting up your final score
And again, it would be irrating to hit the retry button and immediately get thrown in the worst situation the player can be in - it's more fair to start at the moment before the player made a mistake

Also, it's still an exploit to start at the area you died but with an Alert
You can't still go for the next area, even if you die there, the palyer will still revive with progress made

Permanent loss of items? This isn't Demon's Souls. You only lose what you used in the previous area, naturally. When you enter the new areas and die, all the items and ammo reset to what they were when you entered. So you can trigger an alert more than halfway into an area, escape to a new area, fail to defend yourself and will then respawn with all the items, stamina and ammo that you used in the new area, as if you had walked into the new areas without an alert active. That is too forgiving. That destroys the continuity of the gameplay. How is it stressful to have to enter the area again with an alert? You've done it once already. If it bothers the player, maybe they should have saved.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I defeated The Fury and entered Groznij Grad. Although I've played the game many times, I'm actually surprised after eleven years since my last playthrough by how brief most of the cutscenes and mandatory radio conversations have been up to this point. I still prefer the stories of MGS1 and 2, but the simplicity here is fine. I'll take it over the excess in later games. It's so adventurous. Big budget games never achieve that anymore.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh, also, having to restart from before you made the mistake as you suggest would be WAY more annoying. Because what if you did something time-consuming or difficult before leaving the area, like getting dog tags (MGS2) or the tsuchinoko? Or what if getting to the end of the area was challenging enough that you're glad to be through with it? You would put the player back at the beginning of the previous area after they failed in the new area? THAT'S punishing. Or are you suggesting making a continue from the moment the alert is triggered. I don't like that either and don't know if the PS2 could even reload everything that happened in the area up to that point, including where all the items and enemies were last and their statuses. My idea makes more sense.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
not being seen in Extreme ... is the same as playing European Extreme
Technically, sure
But the option to say "Fuck it" and blast your way through with an M16 remains
Because Extreme doesn't force you out of such tactics
Whereas European Extreme does

It garantees that players who want to ghost the game, actually do it without "cheating"

Permanent loss of items?
You only lose what you used in the previous area
Those items are permanently lost, yes

When you enter the new areas and die, all the items and ammo reset to what they were when you entered.
Yes and as you can imagine, fights can last through multiple areas

But it would have been cooler if at Hard and above, the quantity of items the player had when he dies should be the quantity of items he revives with

And now that you mention this, I think I might have an answer as to why the player revives in the last area he entered
When Snake enters a new area, the game probably makes a checkpoint save, but only of Snake's current condition and not of the enviroment

How is it stressful to have to enter the area again with an alert?
Because you're reloading the game in a fail state

Nobody plays Thief and after dying, only load savegames where half of the level's guards are chasing Garret (well maybe there is some nut out there who does that, but you get the point)

It just doesn't make sense for a stealth game to do that - specially one with very limited player control over saving/loading

Like I previously said, at most I think it would be fine to restart in Caution phase (enemies are more vigilant + thourough in their patrol routes and some areas might have 1/2 new guards) - but outright fucking combat mode (Alert and Evasion), IN A STEALTH GAME... give players a break man

having to restart from before you made the mistake as you suggest would be WAY more annoying. Because what if you did something time-consuming or difficult before leaving the area
I said restaring in the area where the player triggred the alarm
Patrolled areas in MGS3 rarely are big enough to make some activity that time consuming

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane

Nobody plays Thief and after dying, only load savegames where half of the level's guards are chasing Garret (well maybe there is some nut out there who does that, but you get the point)

This isn't Thief. It's a Japanese game, which are on average far harder than western. :obviously:

I'm with E. On extreme, alert status should be consistent. What you say is for sure relevant to first playthroughs, but we're talking replays, higher difficulty modes etc.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This isn't Thief.
No shit
The point is it's a stealth game - a genre where detection is a fail state
And in all videogame genres, unless the devs have a specific and very clever intention in mind, reloading the game in a fail state is just bad game design

It's a Japanese game, which are on average far harder than western. :obviously:
Imo, being hard just for difficulty sake, can degenerate a game's quality as much as being easy for accessibility sake

What you're defending right now, is a good example of that
On Extreme guards can drop you in 3 hits (more or less) and there are more of them in each area
Then in Alert phase, when you enter a new area all the guards of that area converge on the entrance you came from and after a few seconds another group of guards spawn from that entrance
Can you now see how stupid and aggravating it would be, to have this alarm status right from the moment of reloading, specially on this difficulty?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I am so sick of slowly crouching in every game. It's uncool, fake, stupid. They stick it in everything now because it has become the expectation, rather than for any particular design reason. If I made a stealth-action game, you would be able to move quickly. I would balance the player's speed and mobility by making the enemies walk faster than they usually do in games. Would make the protagonist barefooted or give him/her shoes made for sneaking. There would be a crouch, but it would be used to hide behind objects and access low spaces, not to make you invisible at a distance or silence your footsteps. Pointless particularly in MGS3 because the game already has the camo system for visibility and soldiers do not hear you run unless you get within a few steps of them.

Ezekiel

Arcane
not being seen in Extreme ... is the same as playing European Extreme
Technically, sure
But the option to say "Fuck it" and blast your way through with an M16 remains
Because Extreme doesn't force you out of such tactics
Whereas European Extreme does

It garantees that players who want to ghost the game, actually do it without "cheating"
Again, that's what the end results are for. It will say if you were discovered. Nobody cares about cheaters. A real player plays for himself rather than for the purpose of impressing others.

Permanent loss of items?
You only lose what you used in the previous area
Those items are permanently lost, yes

When you enter the new areas and die, all the items and ammo reset to what they were when you entered.
Yes and as you can imagine, fights can last through multiple areas

But it would have been cooler if at Hard and above, the quantity of items the player had when he dies should be the quantity of items he revives with

I wouldn't like that because it would be a total fantasy element in a game series with real guns and conflicts loosely based on current events and politics. Demon's Souls and its (Let's be real.) sequels justify it with the characters losing their sanity as they die over and over again. It would break the immersion in Metal Gear Solid, kind of like alarm statuses that were triggered in previous areas disappearing after you respawn.

And now that you mention this, I think I might have an answer as to why the player revives in the last area he entered
When Snake enters a new area, the game probably makes a checkpoint save, but only of Snake's current condition and not of the enviroment

How is it stressful to have to enter the area again with an alert?

It just doesn't make sense for a stealth game to do that - specially one with very limited player control over saving/loading

Like I previously said, at most I think it would be fine to restart in Caution phase (enemies are more vigilant + thourough in their patrol routes and some areas might have 1/2 new guards) - but outright fucking combat mode (Alert and Evasion), IN A STEALTH GAME... give players a break man

Then the player should save. Or improve. Most players in Asia and the Americas trying to get the stealth camo were saving in nearly every area anyway before the HD collection. It's a non-issue. Metal Gear Solid isn't stealth, it's stealth and action, not counting the useless European Extreme mode.

having to restart from before you made the mistake as you suggest would be WAY more annoying. Because what if you did something time-consuming or difficult before leaving the area
I said restaring in the area where the player triggred the alarm
Patrolled areas in MGS3 rarely are big enough to make some activity that time consuming

I understood what you said, and that is what I meant. "Restarting from before you made the mistake" meaning restarting the area where you triggered the alarm, the area that you fled.

I was caught right after escaping the cell yesterday. I had to call Paramedic for a save because I didn't know if I would foul up (or make myself look like an ass in) the next area that I intended to flee to and my last save was made before entering the east wing where Raikov was. Wish I didn't have to take that kind of caution. But I don't want the game to let me cheat, and restarting with the alarm gone feels like cheating.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Loaded the game just after the scene with Eva behind the waterfall today, went with the cardboard box from the northwest of Groznij Grad to the hangar via truck, then realized the AV receiver didn't switch to surround sound correctly when switching from monitor to TV. eARC sucks sometimes. At least no cutscenes were spoiled by stereo. Wasn't in the mood to reload, so decided to just shoot everybody before exiting. Reminded me how overpowering the game is when you don't try to hide or flee. They never figured out the AI for combat. Soldiers just kept running down the stairs and dropping dead as I stayed prone and sprayed at them from a distance. The Skorpion was almost as accurate as any other gun when prone. Even when I ran around a bit more, they couldn't hit me once.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finished it again. As I thought years ago, the story is too back-heavy. They drop so much information in the end, from The Boss telling Snake about her lengthy past to the debriefing by Eva, and while I appreciate the story still, clunky as the structure is, the subject matter is not that interesting. The game opens with, "After the end of World War II, the world was split into two: East and West. This marked the beginning of the era called the Cold War." Thank you, Captain Obvious. The subject matter goes on like this, stating information about the Cold War and the space race and the arms race and a soldier's enemy being relative, determined by politics, that everybody even vaguely familiar with history knows. The Boss tells all this like the player as Snake is a child. It's why I think Metal Gear Solid worked better in the not too distant future, where it could play with current events through a science fiction lens. Metal Gear Solid 2's theme of information control was much more provocative.

I also don't like so much how the action just keeps piling on. You almost wanna tell Ocelot to get the fuck out of the craft because his duel is so prolonged as Eva tries to keep it leveled, after everything that has already happened.

Dropping the Russian accents from MGS2 was decline.

Bluepoint tastelessly added their own credits to the end
Oh how dare they.
:nocountryforshitposters:

It's awkward. Shorter than I thought, since they cut it down. But still awkward. That theme cut down to a few seconds between Way to Fall and the Metal Gear Solid theme music... If a beloved movie had that done by a restoration service/team, fans would not be happy. The movie Speed having the Billy Idol song followed by the movie's main theme as Disney's new credits play.

Played the cutscenes in 16:9, the default option. I might have to play MGS2 with the letterbox option. It's too wide, but the cutscenes were originally slightly wider than 16:9. Don't like how the bottom letterbox is way bigger, though. That's for subtitles. I don't use them anymore.

unknown-2023-11-19-00-36-mp4-snapshot-01-17-699.jpg

unknown-2023-11-19-00-36-mp4-snapshot-00-58-567.jpg

Found it funny that there was still the sound of the letterboxes appearing before I shot The Boss, even with no letterboxes.

Also wasn't convinced by "Big Boss" being an official title awarded by the top brass.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
You are given too many suppressors. I played on Hard, mostly sneaked and finished with six suppressors for the M1911, about the same for the Mk II. Also, the expansiveness of the areas makes the action easier. With so much distance and so many guns, it's easier than ever to take all the reinforcements out from a distance as they come down the same paths, unable to see you in your camo.

Still a pretty good game, though. Better than anything big studios release now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom