Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid Δ (Snake Eater Remake) - PC/PS5/Xbox confirmed to use original voice files

Ash

Arcane
Hey, I like the game. I like the underwater section...for the first playthrough or two anyway. I also liked emma but the hand holding gameplay is not so fun. I don't mind Raiden all that much though he is a fag and less cool than snake. Indeed the story has some interesting and relevant subject matter. Indeed it has a decent amount of gameplay depth. But...it's just not highly replayable long term. Once you do the intial set of runs, you've had your fun. Not much long-term appeal as the gameplay is pretty rigid, especially with how linear it is. The story while interesting is simply cringe-filled and drawn-out. It lacks a notable amount of the gameplay depth of 3, without offering much of its own in return. Many sections of the gameplay are gimmicky and disjointed from the rest, like it turning into a sword fighting game all of a sudden for some reason. Not bad, but disregards the core gameplay, related inventory you have amassed etc. Or the rex battle afterwards which forces the stinger upon you. We already did that with the Jump jet earlier. We already did that with the Hind and Rex in 1...sigh. Still, it is a pretty epic fight. Again, the first few playthroughs. Now, forget it. Also why the fuck did they recycle the torture scene from 1 in 2 also? It works well once as a simple quick gimmick. repeating it is dumb as shit. Lots of stupid choices like this.

There is simply nothing to offer me. I 100% it, got the dog tags, did the extreme stuff, uncovered the secrets. It was fun, but it doesn't have lasting appeal like many other games do. It's like Half-Life in that regard. I don't want to touch it these days but the first few playthroughs were grand. It just has no true long term appeal like other greats and becomes a chore once you've done it all before. And you can't even really mod it, even if the tools existed. It's too rigid in what it is. So you better damn well love exactly what it is...which my augmented monocle says 7.75/10 seems fair. somewhere above average but not true greatness.

MGS3 is better in almost every way, but most notably in its deeper gameplay. You'll see I guess.
MGS1 has less gameplay depth than both but is far more to the point, tasteful and stylish. Not lots of cringe, shit design choices etc. Twin Snakes or pretty much anything after 3 I just pretend doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's not worth it. IDK you do you.

Okay, Ash, I give up. Frustrating. Very time-consuming. Thousands of other people already got the Foxhound rank with insane times anyway, but few got all the kerotans on extreme with no kills and alerts, and most of them play with the orbital camera, so at least I stand out a bit more there. Rushing through it as fast as possible not only makes me less careful, but means more of the same methods anyway. I would end up using a lot of those suppressors that I was proud of keeping.

I never knew until that run that shooting the last kerotan distracts The Boss.

Ash

Arcane
Proud of you :salute:

The run you already did was more than impressive enough. Now you can move on to more absolute classics.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Impressed by the efficiency, but also validates what I said about having way too many suppressors. Dude just shoots almost everybody.

That camera... It's ugly to me after these playthroughs with the original cam. You see so little. Constantly have to adjust because of how small the field of view is, especially indoors. Konami's remake gameplay video didn't show the original cam at all.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finished my first Tenchu mission, and, uhm...

thug.jpg

I got lost! These complexes are unlivable. Clunky game, but kind of charming. Strange choice of music for a game set in the Sengoku Period. Sounds foreign (from Japanese point of view).

I never understood the hype behind this game, the game is mostly composed of typical nonsensical Kojima cutscenes, the injury system in theory is great but in practice is way too simplistic and becomes repetitive, the ending is a railshooter.
Kojima understood that games are for fun and by proxy it's not worth trying to give them some kind of deep storyline. The people that can't get into metal gear don't seem to understand that the story is silly nonsense on purpose and you're not really supposed to think too hard about it.

I say understood and not understands because I have no clue what he was trying to accomplish with death stranding.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I give up.

Changed my mind. Finished my Foxhound playthrough yesterday, with the Mk22 suppressor depleted to about 40 percent. Shaved off over two hours from my kerotan run. Regret not feeding the dogs or soldiers and not putting out Fury's fire with the box (which I didn't remember), for sake of variety. But, overall, happy with the results. Satisfaction was huge, after anticipating the result screen and fearing that I messed up somewhere. The requirements are generous.

19b-mkv-snapshot-00-06-304.jpg

Fury only took about thirty minutes, not three hours like the last time. Most of the bosses were easier or about the same, except most notably The Fear. His recharging was a bitch.

Ash

Arcane
Disappointed. You are a kerotan.

Kerotan_Frog.jpg

Would rate you autism but I am not paying for that DLC to unlock more awesome buttons.

The Music in Tenchu 3 is decent, but not an absolute masterpiece like the first game. Still, if you're turned off by the jazzy vibe of the first level, that's pretty much the only time that is present. The rest of the soundtrack is much more gritty and atmospheric, with Japanese motifs.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The Music in Tenchu 3 is decent, but not an absolute masterpiece like the first game. Still, if you're turned off by the jazzy vibe of the first level, that's pretty much the only time that is present. The rest of the soundtrack is much more gritty and atmospheric, with Japanese motifs.
Who has the better campaign, guy or girl? Played the girl briefly and noticed the first level was different.

Ash

Arcane
You're supposed to play both, then you unlock a third character with yet another campaign that uses a different inventory system (find gold to purchase items + get more gold for good mission ranking). Then after beating it will all three characters, you unlock one final cool mission.

Which is better? IDK, both pretty decent. Been a very long time since I played the series. A replay of the original trilogy is in order at some point. It shares many parallels to MGS - running is silent, there's forced brutal boss battles, weird and wonderful Japanese story, lots of replayability, lots of hidden gameplay depth. But here, you have awesome platforming and vertical open level design, and far fewer cutscenes.

Cheesedragon117

Educated

thug.jpg

I got lost! These complexes are unlivable. Clunky game, but kind of charming. Strange choice of music for a game set in the Sengoku Period. Sounds foreign (from Japanese point of view).
41yBtvR5udL._AC_.jpg

Kojima understood that games are for fun and by proxy it's not worth trying to give them some kind of deep storyline.
> Makes MGS2 and Death Stranding

:kingcomrade:
The actual storyline of MGS2 isn't that deep or complicated, the stuff about the flow of information and the importance of selectively passing down things to our children is very detached from the plot and metal gear as a whole.

They're not as deep as Kojima perhaps wishes them to be, but it's not for lack of trying. His games touch on a lot of complex themes, but he's very scatterbrained in the way he approaches them. He puts concepts like gene editing, privatization of war, nuclear proliferation and other heady subjects front and center, but everything just kind of fizzles out by the end. I guess he's just an artist who's fascinated by exotic concepts, not exactly a "thinker". That's fine, though, you should read books if you want that.

It's not a just big joke, though. He's sincere in everything he does(although I haven't played DS yet), to a point that many find disconcerting(or would, if he were Western). The games are very pure in how they treat universal themes like heroism, sacrifice, friendship and beauty. We expect a piece of art that deals with stuff like nuclear weapons to be ironic and detached like Dr Strangelove. Instead he takes the romantic hero worship of Rambo and handles it completely seriously (which isn't to say uncritically). And he can do all this while taking the piss with typical Japanese, very physical gag humor. It's not a contradiction, if you consume other Japanese media you quickly realize that heroic death and potty jokes can coexist quite handily.

Yes, his games tend to be very polished... and fun, which in the Western educated mind means they can't be serious, because serious things can't be fun. Serious things are supposed to be boring, not exciting. That's what we learn in school, real books are the ones that make you fall asleep, not the ones you want to read. Ergo for all culture. It's actually the opposite, the best things are the most fun. It's certainly true for videogames.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The actual storyline of MGS2 isn't that deep or complicated
It's easy for anyone to claim this now, because there's 20+ years worth of discussions and analysis (from articles, essays, books and videos) as well as plenty of insight into the game's development and the devs own thoughts
But when the game came out, it was absolutely considered to be touching on complex subject matter and the series gained a repution of 2deep4u (which only turned into 2derp4u in MGS4)
Plus the fact that it took years before anyone knew just exactely what the fuck the game was talking about, is proof that the plot is complicated (though not for the best reasons)

the stuff about the flow of information and the importance of selectively passing down things to our children is very detached from the plot and metal gear as a whole.
wtf newfag
those themes literally baked into the plot
it is what Raiden's entire character arc revolves around
fucking hell, what thing we pass down to our children is even a major theme in MGS1 (gene) and MGS3 (scene) - with MGS2 being meme

but everything just kind of fizzles out by the end.
I agree with this for his post-MGS3 games
But for that triology (MGS1 to MGS3), the ending are all pretty well tied up in both plot and themes
That's why they remain so memorable

Though, giving the absolute mess that is Death Stranding and MGS4/5
I am much more willing to give that praise to Tomokazu Fukushima (the other main writer of MGS1/2/3)
Shit even Kojimbo super fanboy, Super Bunnyhop, agrees that man is very likely the actual reason for the writting of that triology having any sense of coherence whatsoever

Serious things are supposed to be boring, not exciting.
I mean, there are plenty of cultural works considered high art masterpieces that can't be labeled as "fun" in the conventional sense of the word
Stimulating, didatic, perhaps even engaging, sure
But fun....

Last edited:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Yes, his games tend to be very polished... and fun, which in the Western educated mind means they can't be serious, because serious things can't be fun. Serious things are supposed to be boring, not exciting. That's what we learn in school, real books are the ones that make you fall asleep, not the ones you want to read. Ergo for all culture. It's actually the opposite, the best things are the most fun. It's certainly true for videogames.

My favorite form of fun is serious fun.

Viata

Arcane

thug.jpg

Which Tenchu is that? It's been a long time since I played the first two games on PS1 and I really loved them. The stealth kills were amazing, but Tenchu 1 was far superior in everything but graphics.

The actual storyline of MGS2 isn't that deep or complicated
It's easy for anyone to claim this now, because there's 20+ years worth of discussions and analysis (from articles, essays, books and videos) as well as plenty of insight into the game's development and the devs own thought
But when the game came out, it was absolutely considered to be touching on complex subject matter and the series gained a repution of 2deep4u (which only turned into 2derp4u in MGS4)
Plus the fact that it took years before anyone knew just exactely what the fuck the game was talking about, is proof that the plot is complicated (though not for the best reasons)

the stuff about the flow of information and the importance of selectively passing down things to our children is very detached from the plot and metal gear as a whole.
wtf newfag
fucking hell, what thing we pass down to our children is even a major theme in MGS1 (gene) and MGS3 (scene) - with MGS2 being meme

but everything just kind of fizzles out by the end.
I agree with this for his post-MGS3 games
But for that triology (MGS1 to MGS3), the ending are all pretty well tied up in both plot and themes
That's why they remain so memorable

Though, giving the absolute mess that is Death Stranding and MGS4/5
I am much more willing to give that praise to Tomokazu Fukushima (the other main writer of MGS1/2/3)
Shit even Kojimbo super fanboy, Super Bunnyhop, agrees that man is very likely the actual reason for the writting of that triology having any sense of coherence whatsoever

Serious things are supposed to be boring, not exciting.
I mean, there are plenty of cultural works considered high art masterpieces that can't be labeled as "fun" in the conventional sense of the word
Stimulating, didatic, perhaps even engaging, sure
But fun....

Well, I have to give credit to MGS1 for touching the kinds of subjects it did in a way that hadn't been done before. Natasha has some interesting things to say about nuclear proliferation, for example, and I don't remember any other game that approached real world subjects of that kind in such a direct way, giving you precise arguments from an educated person. Even for a movie it'd be unusual. It's still an "in passing" treatment of the subject, you're not meant to learn anything new. This is probably an unfair assessment, but I think the game's main themes are elsewhere. It's more about Snake and Liquid and the myth of the hero, made more interesting by the fact that one is, factually, biologically superior. But I think that's true of all MGS games in a way, they're stories about heroes and how we relate to them, while other things serve as the background. I think they're deep games, perhaps just not in the way Kojima himself envisioned. I see him as an artist more than a thinker.

MGS2, it's been 20 years. I remember FAQs on Gamefaqs dedicated to analyzing its themes. It's supposed to be the deep, intellectual game. It feels like I'd have to dust out the Baudrillard again, which I don't care to do anytime soon.

MGS3 to me was always the crowd pleaser, I think it's the least complex of the Metal Gear games in that regard.

I agree that the games past MGS3 left many loose ends. MGS4 opens with the theme of the privatization of war/perpetual war, but it doesn't really develop it further. It's all over the place as a game and that part suffers too. It still has some of my favorite Snake moments, and if you see it as a reflection on our relationship with Snake, his role as a hero, idealized or not, it has a lot of depth. It's an essential MGS game to me. MGS5 has some interesting concepts, like what would happen if every country had nuclear weapons? Unfortunately, it's the most scatterbrained MGS game. It really tried my patience in many ways.

As for art being fun. Yes, fun as in exciting, exhilarating, ecstatic. Reading Homer should pump your blood, the same way as listening to Bach. I can't consider something that is merely clever or educational great art or even that valuable. I'll take the great tragedians over Aristotle any day, not disrespecting the great man. His greatest value was probably that he inspired great minds. With videogames, I'm always suspicious of the idea that there's any greater value than fun. I wouldn't give a hoot about MGS's weird concepts if they weren't fun games, in fact it's their fun that elevates everything else.

Swartaz

Literate
I wonder what they are going to do to "modernize" the game. In the trailer it looked as though some animations were being reused from The Phantom Pain, and it made me wonder, if this remake were to play like V, wouldn't that trivialize a lot of the difficulty? I can't see Konami retaining the original controls whatsoever.

I wonder what they are going to do to "modernize" the game. In the trailer it looked as though some animations were being reused from The Phantom Pain, and it made me wonder, if this remake were to play like V, wouldn't that trivialize a lot of the difficulty? I can't see Konami retaining the original controls whatsoever.
It's funny you mention that, because that's exactly what happened with the MGS1 remake Twin Snakes. They added in the controls and first-person aiming from MGS2 without changing the level or boss design from MGS1, and it basically completely breaks the game and removes any challenge.
wtf newfag
I mean to say you can enjoy MGS2 as an ultimately silly but exciting and fun spy story without thinking too hard about the overall message. The themes are basically infodumped on you last minute at Arsenal Gear/Manhattan and the sci-fi concept of an AI controlling the flow of information, to my knowledge, isn't an important plot device in MGS4.

It's not like Death Stranding where the whole game is kojima spraying psuedo-philosophical diharrea over your brain from the moment you start.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's funny you mention that, because that's exactly what happened with the MGS1 remake Twin Snakes. They added in the controls and first-person aiming from MGS2 without changing the level or boss design from MGS1, and it basically completely breaks the game and removes any challenge.
The controls of Twin Snakes are closer to the original than to MGS2
They simply used the engine of MGS2 for graphical purposes and better AI (which by the way, is more demanding than the original, but you'll never see the fanboys acknowledging that)
really the only bad things about Twin Snakes are the addition of the tranq gun and changes to some bosses (vulcan raven's sightlines; being able to snipe while standing up)
FPS aiming is only damaging in regards to the tranq gun
for the pistol and machine gun, the original already allowed it for enemies at the same height level, plus the better AI further discourages lethal playstyle

The themes are basically infodumped on you last minute at Arsenal Gear/Manhattan
No for MGS2 the themes are "properly" introduced with the Shell section
I say "properly", because the Tanker section is in fact a carefully constructed lie that serves as foundation for the rest of the plot

the sci-fi concept of an AI controlling the flow of information, to my knowledge, isn't an important plot device in MGS4.
it is
it's part of the primary functions of the Patriots AI

flyingjohn

Arcane
MGS1 original Tank hangar:
Having to navigate all the way to the bottom elevator with multiple obstacles.
Twin snakes Tank Hangar:
Knock on a wall and then drop down a ledge straight to the elevator.

So much difficulty! Twin snakes is a piss easy version of MGS1 with MGS2 mechanics crammed into MGS1 level design and it just doesn't work.
Not even gonna go how the FP/ mgs2 mechanics butcher most bosses like Ocelot and Wolf.

Last edited:
FPS aiming is only damaging in regards to the tranq gun
for the pistol and machine gun, the original already allowed it for enemies at the same height level, plus the better AI further discourages lethal playstyle
Im assuming you haven't played it recently, to be fair the tranq gun trivializes the difficulty in every MGS game so I'm not going to criticize it in that regard. The bigger problem is certain bosses being basically broken in the MGS2 engine. The best example is the ocelot fight, with first person aiming it's laughably easy.
The themes are basically infodumped on you last minute at Arsenal Gear/Manhattan
No for MGS2 the themes are "properly" introduced with the Shell section
I say "properly", because the Tanker section is in fact a carefully constructed lie that serves as foundation for the rest of the plot
I don't think you get my point, you can enjoy MGS2 like a silly action movie up until Arsenal Gear, which is why I assume it was able to garner mainstream success despite the plot being very avant-garde and meta by 2001 video game standards. Obviously I wasn't involved in the game's development but I would assume isolating the really "out there" moments to the last 10% or so of the game was a very purposeful choice not just to underline the games message, but to make it more digestible for a mainstream audience.

This heavily contrasts it with Death Stranding, which throws out any hope of a conventional story basically from the beginning, mostly to it's detriment.

I think Kojima is very self-aware in regards to what he needs to do to please the players and the publisher vs. the story he wants to tell. His games tend to follow a similar pattern of frontloading all the crowdpleasing moments and leaving the weird stuff for later. Of course, fans tend to reassess the weird stuff later (not always, some parts of MGS4 and 5 shouldn't exist).

I think he deserves praise for enforcing the same level of polish and having the same eye for detail in every part of the game. He only dropped the ball in the second half of MGS4, imo. Things really fall below the normal standard and only pick up again at the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom