Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid Δ (Snake Eater Remake) - PC/PS5/Xbox confirmed to use original voice files

Caim

Arcane
Using lethal force against a human NPC in a Metal Gear Solid game is an indication of a skill issue.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Using lethal force against a human NPC in a Metal Gear Solid game is an indication of a skill issue.

I like variety. I like to look cool. I've done the no alert and no kill challenges a few times, sometimes both together. But when I'm playing for the story as well, not using all the tools available feels lame. Snake tells Major Zero, "I had to kill them. There was no other way. But no one will know we were involved." The story expects you to kill.

Ash

Arcane
Yup. I have played the game stealth, combat, and probably a hybrid of the two. The true way to play is playing the game more than once, especially since higher difficulties must be unlocked first, and the game jam-packed with secrets. So lethal playthrough should be tried out. Very different experience.

The combat is kind of fun and actually viable now that enemy squads can be entirely wiped out. Stealth is probably the :obviously: way to play though.

Everytime I look back fondly on this game I have to reality check myself, that while it is filled with great gameplay, tons of style, generally plenty fun to be had, it is also filled with excessive storyfaggotry to the point of damaging the experience, stupid parts like an endless ladder or wading through a river styx rip-off, as well as plain weirdness from time to time. No, I can't do it. It should only remain in memory.
MGS2 is even worse in this regard. I think the most consistently tasteful, stylish and sane is MGS1, despite the lesser (though still plenty decent) gameplay depth.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm making a video of an Extreme mode playthrough will no alerts, no kills, all kerotans and "normal" (as the menu calls it) camera.

3-mkv-snapshot-01-24-045.jpg

Another example of the usefulness of the "normal" camera. I can see through the window that there is a soldier in the other room. Impossible in "third person." You also know where the enemies are from the stereo/surround sound. I could see your point if they didn't always say things like, "Huh? What's that?" Or if the buildings were placed diagonally rather than north to south. Having already played through Hard like this over the last week, going back to the "third person" camera really seems like such a cheat. No, switching to first person a lot doesn't slow the game to a crawl. You normally use it very briefly. You said that the "normal" camera is useful only sometimes, but if you use the "third person" camera, you will miss those parts where it is useful. The game is BUILT around the "normal" cam. That's also why pressing against a wall and peeking with L2 or R2 works as it does.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
There's no punishment for killing NPCs in most Metal Gear games. Sometimes in MGS4 I just sniped every NPC in the map lol.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Metal Gear Solid 4's pacifism in particular is a meme.

"Killing is bad. Here is Drebin with 300 guns for you."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Action isn't exclusively combat
Lmao by that logic walking simulators are also action games, walking is an action after all.

EDIT:
Seriously though there is a distinction to be made between games like thief where stealth is a key component and central to the game as against metal gear with its mandatory boss fights which aren't stealthy at all.
Not sure when Splinter cell falls though.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The Fury on Extreme with no lethality made me accidentally throw my controller. I haven't thrown a controller since I was a kid.

Still at it. Infuriating.

As the fury builds, he becomes harder. Because your hands start shaking.

Oh god... With all the time reloading the save file and coming from the shack where you speak with Eva down to where The Fury is again (until I finally gave up and created another save point at the beginning of the boss), this took me three hours. I don't remember ever being so humiliated by Extreme.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Action isn't exclusively combat
Lmao by that logic walking simulators are also action games, walking is an action after all.
We could split hairs about what's the proper genre definitions all day
But the most agreed upon definition is as follows: "Action game" is any all videogames, whose primary emphasis are physical challenges that require hand-eye coordination and reaction time

So as we can infer, this not only includes sub-genres like Shooters and Fighting games, but also Stealth, Platformers, Sports and even Rythm games are considered sub-genres of the Action genre

Seriously though there is a distinction to be made between games like thief where stealth is a key component and central to the game as against metal gear with its mandatory boss fights which aren't stealthy at all.
Some elements of MGS overlap with design conventions of other sub-genres
This is nothing new to the medium, RPGs have been doing it since forever

It might not be considered as "pure" a stealth game as Thief, but that still doesn't change the fact that MGS3 is fundamentally a stealth game:
  • PC's logistics heavily favor stealth over combat
  • Level design and enemy AI are designed primarly for sneaking around
  • Alert status exist to push players back into hiding
  • Scoring system that rewards furtive behaviour and pacifism
  • Plot emphasises the need for covertness
And speaking of bosses, most MGS3 bosses can be taken out with stealh - it even makes non-lethal tactics easier, which grant unique rewards

Ash

Arcane
What is this bullshit?

You got wrecked. Good thing you have a handkerchief in your inventory to wipe the tears.

Also I take back my accusation that you're a casual now for this run. But...why? Can't you just play extreme like a normal person? Or a normal non-lethal run where you can increase max health? IDK it just seems to me absurd to say you never play extreme because the bosses are too hard, and now all of a sudden you're doing non-lethal, ghost, extreme, no max health increases, frog hunter run. Like where was the part where you got to enjoy a normal extreme run or two?

Also I told you how I regret getting all the froggies and you choose not to learn from my mistake. But at least you combined it into a mega challenge run and recorded it I guess, which is quite impressive. Still not watching tho ;) except for funny highlights like this anyway because then I get to enjoy your pain.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I didn't say I never play extreme. Not the first time I combined no kills and no alerts in extreme. Someone asked me if I'm planning to do a Foxhound run. I wasn't thinking about it, but that's actually close to what I already did. If I hadn't spent so much time looking for kerotans (except when I reloaded a save and already found it on my previous attempts) and if I had been more confident in my ability by not saving so many times and dedicated more time to the game by repeating multiple areas rather than saving in most of them, I would have been under the five hours and 25 saves for Foxhound.

• Use no special items
  • Get no kills
  • Get no alerts
  • Use no life medicine
  • Use no continues
  • Save less than 25 times
  • Get under 5 hours play time
  • Under 10 life bars of damage taken
I already fulfilled all the other requirements. How the hell do you use ten life bars on extreme?

44-mkv-snapshot-19-18-272.jpg

I'm gonna go for it. Probably next weekend.

Ash

Arcane
ah now I know why you are doing autism runs instead of simply moving on to other great games: Fucking achievements. Goddamn cancer.

Stop it. You've played the game enough, it has nothing else to offer you. Move on to something else. I can recommend you many.

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's an emulator, dude. There is no social media like PSN or Steam to share achievements. No one is looking up other people's achievements in the RPCS3 network. I don't even know how to create a handle. I created one for Demon's Souls so that I could PvP, but couldn't find my backup anywhere after reinstalling two (?) years later and can't remember what my handle and password were. I turned off the achievement notifications again and again during my story playthrough last week by going to the Home button menu, but they always return after booting up the emulator again. People have been aiming for the different ranks since the PS2, before achievements on PlayStation. I just never tried myself.

Ash

Arcane
It's not worth it. IDK you do you. I just think with all the great games out there you could be having way more fun and rich content now that you've done multiple runs of this and should be more than fulfilled. But you are not me. Maybe you thrive on this level of challenge, mastery and...repetition. I like a challenge too but there comes a point where it's no longer worth it. diminishing returns for sure. For me that point was after doing non-lethal extreme and a regretful kerotan run. around 4, maybe 5 playthroughs on release. and now the game has nothing more to offer. Can't remember if I did european extreme. Probably.

Ezekiel

Arcane
There aren't that many great games; I don't believe you. I'm mostly not into your old computer games. Only played a few. Never even finished Deus Ex, barely got into System Shock. Plan to retry Half-Life 1 at some point. Too many others that I quit that I'm too embarrassed to name. I started as a console player, NES (given to us with only Super Mario Bros. 3 and Nintendo World Cup, that we left behind when we moved to this country), Game Gear that my brother seldom let me play (left behind), Master System (left behind), Mega Drive (left behind), then N64 followed by Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2. Age of Empires II in the early years, some other computer games years later. I'm playing Mario Bros. 3 for the NES again, on the shitter. Most of the old games that I play for the first time as an adult are emulated Japanese console games.

Ash

Arcane
No shame in classic console faggotry. 90s is great almost across the board. Well, I can tell you you missed out on the greatest console of all time: the PS1. Start with MGS1 (given this thread. Wouldn't normally be my first choice. Like all MGS it's great but a little overrated) and Castlevania: SotN.

Oh wait you have a MGS1 miller avatar. Maybe you played it on your PS2.

Mario Bros 3 is :obviously:

There are probably around 100 games I consider great. 1000 I consider good. Any less than "good" who cares. For low standards cucks.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I played through MGS1 once or twice, emulated. Plan to play it again. I know all the story almost by heart from The Twin Snakes, my first MGS. Don't even start. I know some of the cutscenes are over the top and that shooting in first-person view with the tranq gun from MGS2 makes the game far too easy. I know some of the music has less atmosphere. Mei Ling without the strong Chinese accent from the original makes more sense, though. She was born in America and lived in Chinatown, you idiots! She went to American schools and university.

I got maybe halfway through Symphony of the Night (emulated) twelve years ago and then couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go next, got bored and quit. Good game, though.

Ash

Arcane
What about Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven on PS2 for an alternative :obviously: Japanese stealth game? Then if you like it maybe you can look to the first two games on PS1 too, which are also pretty cool. First two are rough around the edges compared to the PS2 entry but full of style and most importantly, fun. they have some merits over the third game but Wrath of Heaven is most suitable for entry level due to the polish.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Was planning on it. Forgot. Perhaps after this second extreme playthrough and MGS2. I haven't even started replaying MGS2 yet and got the controller for both of them. Maybe I can use my recently acquired PS2 controller with the PS2 emulator (Tenchu). It doesn't work in RPCS3.

Ash

Arcane
No way could I stomach MGS2 these days. 3 I could just about bring myself to. 1 sure. 2 is too much cringe, linearity, and not-so-fun design choices e.g holding emma's hand section. Big shell doesn't allow for highly engaging diverse level design though they did an OK job with what they had. Switching character 1/4 of the way through, losing inventory and stuff as a result. Still a classic, sort of, but for sure flawed.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I really like the part with Emma including the underwater sequences for the atmosphere. I like her character and think her death is one of the truly tragic ones in the series. Seeing Snake from Raiden's perspective was a neat idea. I never had a problem with Raiden (until he became the quarter of the character he was in MGS4). Not sure how you can criticize having to start over when it was done way better than in MGS3, where you revisit the same first areas at night in Operation Snake Eater. MGS2 has the more interesting story of the two, with more relevant themes (like censorship/information control). I prefer the characters of Foxhound and Dead Cell to the Cobras. Gameplay is above most PS2 games. It has more options and depth than most of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom