Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly not sure what is so brain-busting about the plot. Ocelot can MKULTRA the best of them. Everyone you know is a liar. Everything you believe in is bullshit. Start your own country and try to nuke the world then get retconned as a kinda good guy. Oh then in Peacewalker some anime bitch steals a Metal Gear. Your son kills you but not you then kills you but doesn't. End.

I mean it is made by some jap autist. It has weird japanese anime fetish stuff. Try not to think too hard.

Unironically the best plot ever.

smTN2Hi.png

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Kojima is a Retard Supreme, no wonder they had enough of that insufferable faggot at Konami. MGSV is only redemable for its gameplay. Of course it will get repetitive at the end, but until that the game is a blast. Ground Zero at the time of release really hyped the game too much.

Ash

Arcane
They shouldn't have strayed from the diverse and interesting level-based formula of 1-3 into the bland boring modern open world game standard. Or at least if they were going open world perhaps try to make it interesting. The game mechanics are pretty solid somewhat, but the level/world design and mission design of 5 is some boring shit. It kills the game for me. Just yet another series that declined like all the rest. I legitimately can't think of a single series that did not degrade sharply in this decline era.

Unironically the best plot ever.

smTN2Hi.png

Every time I start to think I want to play this series, I see something like that and reconsider.

1. This only applies to Ocelot because he is the perpetual fan-favourite antagonist of the series who always needs a reason to be working with the enemy at the start of the game but then turns on them or leaves them at some point. Other characters tend to be much more straight forward and their history isn't a giant list of double agent actions.
2. Ocelot goes from being 20 years old in the chronologically first game to 70 in the last. The idea that he has to be on one side for the whole time is completely absurd. Lots of MGS characters discover things that change their goals or alignments with various factions, and factions themselves change radically
(for example the patriots at the beginning of the timeline are completely different from the end of the timeline, going from a somewhat benevolent illuminati-type organization to a rogue AI taking over the world and enforcing an endless war economy to control people, with a step in between where Zero still arguably had good intentions but was getting quite carried away with how far he would go).
In a sense the whole timeline is a sort of comedy of errors where everyone is just so fucking sneaky that other people misinterpret what's going on, ending up with the guys with good intentions getting mixed up with villains and conspiracies fighting counter-conspiracies.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom