Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How connected to the prior games in the series is it? Would it be confusing to someone who hasn't played a Metal Gear game since the PS1?
The question is nuncupatory.

Don't use big words like that. It makes my brain hurt.
Endure.

Really though, I played this only after playing mgs 1 a decade or so back. Didn't hamper my enjoyment in any way.

eXalted

Arcane
Could even become the opposite - you can get kind of annoyed by the many plot lines in MGS5 that have nothing to do with previous games.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Game is fine. Skip the cutscenes if it bothers you that bad. Don't complete all side ops unless OCD kicks in.

ADL

Prophet
So the Definitive Edition is super cheap right now, and I'm thinking about getting it.

How connected to the prior games in the series is it? Would it be confusing to someone who hasn't played a Metal Gear game since the PS1?
At least play Snake Eater. That one's great.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This game is the best commando simulator of all time, other than Jagged Alliance 2. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Phantom Pain is the best solo commando simulator of all time.

Snake Eater is definitely the objectively best game of the entire series, an assessment that includes its atmosphere, characterization, and story, but gameplay-wise it's much more structured and restricted. In a sense, I consider it to be more of a puzzle game (as opposed to a simulator) with a theme and story, which is no bad thing.

Phantom Pain is gameplay-heavy, which is fine, since the MGS story never made a damn bit of sense anyway. And yet it's all done so stylishly that you develop a sense of legendry surrounding the characters you saw in an earlier MGS ages ago, despite not having any real idea of what the fuck they were doing or saying at the time.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This game is the best commando simulator of all time, other than Jagged Alliance 2. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Phantom Pain is the best solo commando simulator of all time.

Snake Eater is definitely the objectively best game of the entire series, an assessment that includes its atmosphere, characterization, and story, but gameplay-wise it's much more structured and restricted. In a sense, I consider it to be more of a puzzle game (as opposed to a simulator) with a theme and story, which is no bad thing.

Phantom Pain is gameplay-heavy, which is fine, since the MGS story never made a damn bit of sense anyway. And yet it's all done so stylishly that you develop a sense of legendry surrounding the characters you saw in an earlier MGS ages ago, despite not having any real idea of what the fuck they were doing or saying at the time.

This. MGS V is a game for non MGS nerds really. You already know enough to play it. I played it without having played Peacewalker and I understood it. With mods it might be in the top 3 stealth games of all time. I would go as far to say Survive looks like a decent coop game if it did not have MGS as the title.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Falksi

If you're disagreeing that MGSV is the best commando simulator of all time, then I'd like to know which one you think is better so that I can play it.

This.

I'll object however that the story is quite intelligent, and Kojima actually has something to say in it (see: Gene/Meme/Scene, among other things).

Most of the problems with MGS "story", is that Kojima has this annoying habit where once in a while, in a cutscene/Codec call, he'll bring such an enormous shitload of exposition dump on the player's head, that it's simply too much information to 100% absorb at once without rereading it. (AFAIR, only MGS1 gives you an opportunity to do so)

What makes it even worse is that, because they are console games, all of that is done via one, max two, but often even half of a line in a huge ass font on a screen, at a single time. So on top of the above, blink away or get distracted for a second, and you probably should just reload a save. The middle of MGS2 was the biggest offender for me. Every time I finished one MGS, I just went for sparknotes on TV Tropes to kinda sort it out in my head.

And after that, there is this "meta"/simulation/grand conspiracy layer that's best explained in those "What even happened in MGS x" videos.

Regarding whether you need prior MGSes, to enjoy it, I'll say go ahead and read some summaries on Wikipedia etc. If you ever wish to play them, "spoilers" won't impact your enjoyment of the storytelling anyway. It's also better to play MGSV than i.e. Snake Eater first, in that it's a whole another beast in terms of gameplay/storytelling, so much that it's basically another genre.

And then watch this :lol:

I'll also go ahead and re-post what I said here:

After seeing Metal Gear Solid for PC on GOG, I got a massive urge to play through the entire series to experience this both zany and eerie, plot in full. But since I never owned (nor ever want to own one) any console, I've just set up Emulators to squeeze all the juice out of my laptop. No pad either, all on keyboard and mouse, since I don't care about that either.

MGS1 was good. Rather primitive of course but it pays well to play this one first, plus it's surprising how elaborate (in terms of directing such a "cinematic" experience) games could be on PS1. The bosses were definitely a highlight, and on the "normal" difficulty I got my ass handed to me a couple of times, but it's mostly due to shitty controls, inaccurate PS1 shooting with no first person mode either. The bosses are definitely the biggest highlight, especially Vulcan Raven (fuck Sniper Wolf with blocky PS1 aiming and that tremble, is Snake an alcoholic?) but I'm saddened I didn't get to experience all the shenanigans of Psycho Mantis with memory card reading and so on.

MGS2 - definitely the best plot out of all of those, what with all the Meta and Prescient things it envisioned, and all that hilarious mind screw after Big Shell (I need scissors! 61! :lol:). I actually loved the protagonist switch, especially since you were chatting with Snake all throughout the game, making him actually interesting and even more badass. In MGS1 90% of his dialogue were those retarded questions about every word. It felt very unfinished though, with apparently half of Shell 2 missing and likewise half of the bosses cut out from the game. Still worth it, even if just for that fatass bomber on rollerskates with a cocktail in his hand alone.

MGS3 was PS2's Subsistence and I was thrilled they threw that Pacman stealth out of the window. Definitely the most complete, concise package and the best traditional MGS out of them all. Great everything, even more campy (in a good way) with all that James Bond influence and Pussy Galore EVA, ghosting possibilities and dat ending sequence. Also Cobra Unit, especially The End and The Sorrow, still blew me away after all those years. I actually killed and ate The End's parrot and seen it during The Sorrow sequence lmao. I only regret picking Normal, getting easier and easier with each installment apparently, since I beat all bosses with max 2 retries.

MGS4, so far I'm only on the 3rd level in Middle East so far but I can easily see it being the worst out of them all. Well, one of those has to be one.

I also reinstalled MGSV: The Phantom Pain after abandoning it some months ago, to finish Chapter 1 and I'm convinced that it's the finest damn gameplay I have ever seen. We're talking XCOM/Jagged Alliance 2 levels here, it's pretty much the ultimate commando simulator - it's just a shame there is no Hard/Big Boss difficulty to enforce your options better (all it would take is some sliders, tbh), AI adapting to your tactics is not enough. The amount of hilarious shit you can do and how coherent and smooth everything is, is out of this world. Maybe the weakest story. Or maybe the best one, depending how you look on it, I don't remember nor really care, it's the ultimate Metal Gear and a great ending to that Kojima/Konami adventure.

Still did not decide whether I'll go through Peace Walker (HD collection) or not, but since it runs on stable 60fps it may as well be worth it.

Last edited:
I will also add that, if at any point you will find The Phantom Pain too easy, whether in terms of Stealth, Non-lethal and Lethal approaches, you can install a mod called Infiinte Heaven.

The author's explanation what it does, is poor and rather arcane, but it essentially gives the player an in-game menu to adjust various "parameters" to suit your preferences.
For example, if you feel Snake is invincible in combat, you can reduce his HP to i.e. 20%. If you feel AI is deaf and blind, you can set both to i.e. 150%. If open world is too empty and lackluster, you can randomly add very gifted soldiers, patrols, patrolling gunships etc.
There are also more advanced options, like putting the enemy in a continuous Caution phase, but what I described above alone is a great solution to lack of difficulty settings (and takes 2 minutes max).

As a bonus, it also makes you re-review your options and what equipment you have available for you. I never needed to use a smoke grenade until this mod.

What's best, you can install it mid-game, at any point without any problems either. No "starting a new playthrough mandatory" shenanigans.

Falksi

Arcane
Falksi

If you're disagreeing that MGSV is the best commando simulator of all time, then I'd like to know which one you think is better so that I can play it.

I just didn't like it as a game mate. Bored the tits off of me, but then again a lot of stealth style games do. I'm not keen on MGS3 & my fave in the series is easily the first game, simply for the characters & plot.

I can't think of any other "commando simulators" off the top of my head anyway, never mind the best (I see JA2 as a turn based strategy game).

I do however remember really liking Commando for the BBC Micro.......

F7bifMY.jpg

.......and would advise that you only ever go Commando in the Summer.

That's the prequel game right?

Most of them are prequels ever since Big Boss took over Solid Snake as the protagonist, but yeah MGS3 is chronologically the first.

Metal Gears up until Solid 2 and with MGS4 are with Solid Snake. MGS3, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are with Big Boss. (you can say the last three are all MGS 5 trilogy)

BTW, you can get MGS1 and 2 on PC via GOG. If you have a decent PC, you should easily emulate HD Collection on PS3, and maybe even MGS4. If you can't maintain 60fps on PS3 emulator, there's also PS2's Snake Eater Subsistence.

Machocruz

Arcane
Falksi

Because it's the best super soldier simulator of all time. Real commandos would give their whole set of nuts to be able to have Big Boss' abilities. Probably some Arma mod is the best commando simulator.

Falksi

Because it's the best super soldier simulator of all time. Real commandos would give their whole set of nuts to be able to have Big Boss' abilities. Probably some Arma mod is the best commando simulator.

I'd say "Emulator" would be a better word than "Simulator", it's a game with flying kids, ghosts on fire and supernatural naked bichez after all. Besides, no one in their right mind would want to play 100% realistic simulation anyway.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This might not be exact, but I remember it this way (daylight):

It's about right what you said
The super lenient detection was what made me install the Hardcore mod in the first place

How connected to the prior games in the series is it?

You'll simply not understand the references or know who most of the cast were/will be (although for Ocelot that might actually be good as his character here bears absolutely no ressemblance to how he acts in the other titles)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Falksi

Are you trying to tell me that the game isn't an accurate representation of what it's really like to be an elite soldier operating in the field?

Thank God someone came along to set me straight. In my own defense, I've come a long way since I thought that Pawn Stars was real and that CSI: Miami was a documentary of law enforcement procedure. MGSV was just really, really convincing.

There is no game that can even remotely simulate being a real-life commando, since >90% of it would be very boring and involve no combat whatsoever (absolutely no jokes about Kojima's long cutscenes allowed, here). Nor are there John Rambos, Snake Plisskens, or Solid Snakes in real life. Commandos work in teams unless something has gone horribly wrong.

Machocruz

Arcane
Are you trying to tell me that the game isn't an accurate representation of what it's really like to be an elite soldier operating in the field?

Thank God someone came along to set me straight. In my own defense, I've come a long way since I thought that Pawn Stars was real and that CSI: Miami was a documentary of law enforcement procedure. MGSV was just really, really convincing.
Well, now you know. Now I have to go inform the guy who called Sekiro a ninja simulator that they didn't really run on walls or have automatic grappling hooks either.

JDR13

Arcane

Most of them are prequels ever since Big Boss took over Solid Snake as the protagonist, but yeah MGS3 is chronologically the first.

Metal Gears up until Solid 2 and with MGS4 are with Solid Snake. MGS3, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are with Big Boss. (you can say the last three are all MGS 5 trilogy)

BTW, you can get MGS1 and 2 on PC via GOG. If you have a decent PC, you should easily emulate HD Collection on PS3, and maybe even MGS4. If you can't maintain 60fps on PS3 emulator, there's also PS2's Snake Eater Subsistence.

I actually have the HD collection and MGS4 for PS3, I've just never played them.

How relevant is Portable Ops if I ever decide to play the whole series? I ask because I generally don't like games made for portables. I know Peace Walker was originally a PSP game too, but at least that got an HD makeover.

*Edit* Also, has anyone tried the GOG version of the original Metal Gear? I'm wondering if it's the NES version or the original MSX game.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane

Fuck you bro, Pawn Stars is real!

Unwanted

†††

Patron
How relevant is Portable Ops if I ever decide to play the whole series? I ask because I generally don't like games made for portables. I know Peace Walker was originally a PSP game too, but at least that got an HD makeover.

*Edit* Also, has anyone tried the GOG version of the original Metal Gear? I'm wondering if it's the NES version or the original MSX game.

Portable Ops isn't canon, and it's kinda shit tbh.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I actually have the HD collection and MGS4 for PS3, I've just never played them.

Portable Ops is not canon, and AFAIK it is not created my Kojima. That said, it has some nice story elements which connect it to the main storyline. In terms of gameplay, it is similar to Peace Walker, just not as refined and complex. I think it is worth playing through, but not essential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom