Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Ace Combat 7 and its DLC ,it's the first game of the series I played.I am not a flight sim enthusiast and I was just looking for some arcade action and this one delivers.It's not some hardcore game but a nice action game,graphics are good,the airplanes available are nice,the missions are good,the story is ok but ti's just there to move you along.Recommended
If you enjoyed AC7, try AC5 and AC6.

Have they come out on PC?I didn't see them on steam

Last edited:

madhouse

I tried replaying Solider of Fortune and I remember it being much better when I first played it. The game is an absolute piece of shit. Enemies are boring and predictable, sometimes hilariously broken, i.e. standing still waiting to be strafe-shot or completely ignoring explosions happening right next to them as if you were stealthed still. Guns feel like crap. Only good thing about the game is the wound system with the ability to blast away limbs.

:1/5:
EDIT:
I see my review has caused some butthurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I never finished Soldier of Fortune but I kind of liked it due to its novelty of being the first - or one of the first - games to showcase gruesome body and limb damage and using that as one of its selling points. But at least it wasn't just a gimmick. Felt like a solid game outside of that. Sin was another that I walked away from.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Finished Ace Combat 7 and its DLC ,it's the first game of the series I played.I am not a flight sim enthusiast and I was just looking for some arcade action and this one delivers.It's not some hardcore game but a nice action game,graphics are good,the airplanes available are nice,the missions are good,the story is ok but ti's just there to move you along.Recommended

I saw AC7 on Steam. There's a new game in the same genre called Project Wingman that's getting good reviews, with at least one person saying it's better than the AC series, one reason because it's not as storyfag-centric.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished up Lost Planet 3. The middling Steam reviews still confuse me. I'd give it a 7/10.

Currently playing Metro 2033 Redux while I wait for Cyberpunk 2077. Not noticing any difference at all. Which is not even a negative because Metro is so good. I guess they've cranked the graphics, but I remember being impressed with the original looks when it came out, so it's hard to notice an upgrade.

Going to start with either Darkwood or Windscape tomorrow.

madhouse

Guns feel like crap.
i can understand complaining about boring enemy behavior and stealth (even if the game is not about stealth at all), but shitting on gunplay?
Gunplay in SoF is amazing.
Getting hitscaned by snipers you can't even see due to draw distance, often in a corridor with no cover or alternative path, isn't very fun. Guys with SMGs couldn't hit me properly even if I was ten meters away and they were shooting bursts at me, both me and them standing still, although this wasn't always the case and seemed somewhat arbitary. Fortunately(lol) the SMG works just fine over long distances for the player. Shotgun somehow stops being a weapon if there are over five meters of distance between you and them — you could blast through dozen shells and not even kill somebody standing completely still just a few meters away. If you cut one meter of distance suddenly you can take a man's limb off in just a shot. Sniper is the worst of the bunch. It has a weird animation you're forced to sit through everytime you wield it, and when zooming it is buggy and strange. Shooting the sniper in itself feels like throwing peas at your opponents, and even though the gun works, it has no sense of impact or any real "kick" in it. Most underwhelming gun in the game for sure. It plays like a boring cover shooter most of the time, with you leaning out from corner to corner because your opponents are too retarded to react properly, and revealing yourself properly will be hitscan hell, provided you're within the effective range of weapons, which, as I have already explained, is complete ass. Snipers are the worst because they'll somehow shoot you with perfect precision and the only way to pass through sections with them is either to be lucky enough to shoot them before they aggro properly or to reload and to use leanfuckery before hand. In Siberia section you have these armored vehicles that have turrets on the top. The only way to deal with them is to do 2 or 3 magdumps with SMG or 1 1/2 with a sniper while using lean-fuckery. It absolutely breaks up any fun or flow the game has. The game is dreadful. There's a pretty good reason why it's forgotten and not played anymore as opposed to games that still have players like HL1(I think it's a mediocre shooter), Quake, Doom and Unreal Tournament, to name a few.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

I saw AC7 on Steam.

Well duh,how do you think I played it,I was asking about 5 and 6 since I haven't seen them anywhere I don't think they were ever ported to pc

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Getting hitscaned by snipers you can't even see due to draw distance, often in a corridor with no cover or alternative path, isn't very fun.

Only a problem on the last map with that phony fog that only restrict the player's vision.

madhouse

Getting hitscaned by snipers you can't even see due to draw distance, often in a corridor with no cover or alternative path, isn't very fun.

Only a problem on the last map with that phony fog that only restrict the player's vision.
No. It's a problem in Kosovo to a smaller degree and very obvious in Siberia map. In fact the first enemy you'll encounter in that map is a sniper on a tower which you can't see, but if they do aggro against you, they'll be shooting you with pinpoint accuracy from beyond your POV. The game is shite and I think you all might be remembering things bit too fondly from when you last played it because it's definitely one of the weakest shooters I've ever played, old or new.

P.S.
I stopped playing by the Middle Eastern map because the game became too much of a slog. I finished the game fully AGES ago though.
EDIT:
Only a problem, as if the game didn't have rest of the problems I just explained and wouldn't be as equally bad even without the sniper bullshit.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

No. It's a problem in Kosovo to a smaller degree and very obvious in Siberia map. In fact the first enemy you'll encounter in that map is a sniper on a tower which you can't see, but if they do aggro against you, they'll be shooting you with pinpoint accuracy from beyond your POV. The game is shite and I think you all might be remembering things bit too fondly from when you last played it because it's definitely one of the weakest shooters I've ever played, old or new.

P.S.
I stopped playing by the Middle Eastern map because the game became too much of a slog. I finished the game fully AGES ago though.
EDIT:
Only a problem, as if the game didn't have rest of the problems I just explained and wouldn't be as equally bad even without the sniper bullshit.

I replayed the game 1.5 years ago at which time I wrote my own impressions:
I kind of rage quit Soldier of Fortune at the refinery level which I think is very close to the end. Normally I would finish a game, but since I have already completed it once or twice before I don't feel any incentive to do so when the artifical fog prevents me from see enemies (not even their muzzle fire) but they can still see me.

I used to think SoF was a good, solid FPS.
It still is mostly enjoyable, but the AI is just too weird. On Medium difficulty most soldiers can't even hit from point blank, and there's far too much spawning out of thin air. Except for the hit zones on the bodies of enemy soldiers there's not much of a physics engine to speak of. I once shot a soldier when going up a slope and his arm came sliding slowly down. Charming...

It could be interesting to play it again and try for a pacifist solution, shooting the weapons out of the enemies' arms. Anyone tried that?

madhouse

It's only solid if you enjoy shooting stiff idiots with non-existent AI. Considering the game is a shooter, and it fails the most in that aspect, I think it's a very bad game. Most difficulty you'll find in this game is due to the buggy nature of it and the AI being able to hitscan you, often from a ridiculous distance while you're sprinting and jumping(I quickly realized it's pointless to run and dodge snipers from distance as they always got me no matter what), sometimes I even noticed the enemies could shoot me through through the trucks somehow. Otherwise it's laughably simple, lean and shoot and nobody will ever hit you. It's kind of hilarious seeing the AI try dodging your shots by doing these weird rolls and twists, making themselves more of a target and also not being able to shoot back. That era had great deal of good shooters and SoF ranks very low. Maybe the 2nd installment is better and I remember it being a good game too, but from what footage I can see online, it's more of the first with slightly better graphics and shooting(different shooting modes, guns actually having more of an effective distance that isn't just arms reach, more guns). So it might actually be more of a mediocre game than outright abonimation the first one is.
EDIT:
For reference, I played on challenging mode. I tried unfair, but it's literally just game spawning enemies non-stop, even from areas you cleared, so you're just shooting hundreds of opponents, equivalent of some games tanking HP's for enemies on higher difficulty, not truly a higher difficulty in most cases, more of a case in higher frustration and time wasting.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Shadow Hearts 1, it's been a long while since I enjoyed a console JRPG for what it is (of course, with turbo toggle for enemy combat animations).

f1veaXI.png
F0F8LlR.png

97JunJy.png

Translation is bearable, the font shadow offsets are really bad for eyes due to thin fonts; no such issues in Jap version.

FcSKZP8.png

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Whispers of a Machine an adventure game from the makers of Kathy Ryan.It's a good game better than Kathy Ryan in most ways,graphics are good,the setting and the characters are interesting,the story which is mostly a whodunit is good,the puzzles might be on the easy side.I should note that the game has some c&c and gives you different cybernetics enhancements as you progress depending on your choices that allow different solution to some puzzles so there is some replayability here since the game is a bit short.Recommended

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Evil Within 2 is pretty enjoyable so far with its mindfuckeries and fun light tension, but the combat... left a lot to be desired, especially the broken cover kill mechanic.

Ezekiel

Arcane
In my second Bloodborne playthrough. My first one was in mid 2018. I never explored the added content.

After the thousands of hours between the different games, I kind of wish Bloodborne and Souls' weapons weren't upgradable, that their power were entirely dependent on your character stats. Most people use the same weapon for the entire playthrough or two melee weapons max because of how precious upgrade stones are.

Last edited:

Bony Hands

Literate
I'm pretty far into Darksiders. It might have that Gears of War era style of being "badass" but the Hack and Slash combat and the Zelda inspired dungeons work quite well together. The latest dungeon that was focused on portal and beam puzzles that ended with a fight against a giant boss was easily my favorite part of the game so far.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've started playing Path of Exile. I'm halfway act 3, it's quite fun and different from the other ARGPs I've played, with the skills that are tied to gems socketed in your equipment and how you can improve basic equipment into rare equipment using gems, then improve again that equipment, or reroll everything or erase and start over. I'm using a templar and I went heavy on armor and resistance and it's funny being in a middle of an enemy group and not seeing health go down, though I'm over the monster levels for the zones I have access to.

madhouse

I'm re-playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It's alright, right in the middle. It's not particularly good, but at the same time there is nothing overtly bad about the game either. Reminds me of playing a rougher version of the original Call of Duty. Are the mods for it worth playing?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Last few months i've been playing 3D Zelda titles to find out what the fuss was all about.

Ocarina of Time :4/5:
Majora's Mask :5/5:
The Wind Waker :2/5:
Twilight Princess :3/5:

Sadly not going to play Skyward Sword, seems like it is impossible to play it with keyboard and mouse.
i have finished Skyward Sword, with a keyboard and mouse. Don't try this at home!

I can't say that the game is outright shit, but it's not good and it's definitly the worst of 3D Zeldas. Insultingly easy (even with my gimped control scheme), railroaded, and padded with recycled content. There were some neat ideas and additions (i liked the adventure pouch, stamina bar, item upgrading and a timeshift stone mechanics), but most of them were either left underdeveloped, or rendered useless by a low difficulty.

:1/5:

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I'm re-playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It's alright, right in the middle. It's not particularly good, but at the same time there is nothing overtly bad about the game either. Reminds me of playing a rougher version of the original Call of Duty. Are the mods for it worth playing?

RtCW was great for its time, and is still probably the best overall Wolfenstein game imo. Of course time hasn't been kind to the Quake 3 engine.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

RtCW was great for its time, and is still probably the best overall Wolfenstein game imo. Of course time hasn't been kind to the Quake 3 engine.

I don't think I had as much fun playing a multiplayer FPS than I did with RtCW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom