Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
An interesting thing I also recently learned that back in the day CanalPlus wanted to sue Kojima for Metal Gear Solid being too much like Escape From New York, but Carpenter said "fuck that, Kojima's a bro."

Caim

Arcane
Why, because of Snake?

Huh, that would put the Plissken name he uses in MGS2 in a whole new light...

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The base premise is also somewhat similar. Solid/Snake/Plissken, a former operative in the US army who's been reduced to a jaded cynic with a dry sense of humor, is sent in to a territory held by terrorists who want to gain independence from the US with force, Shadow Moses Island/Manhattan Island to rescue political hostage(s). He has 24 hours to complete the mission, has a kill switch implanted in his body against his will, near the end of the story he is captured by the villain and is tortured, and by the end of the story he reveals is true name to the companion(s) he's met during the operation, whom he's formed a bond with.

Though both diverge pretty heavily from one another pretty early on in the story . Solid Snake's hostage rescue mission fails in the first act of Metal Gear Solid's story (i.e. barely an hour in to the game), with the rest of the plot being dedicated to dealing with FOXHOUND and Metal Gear, whereas it's the crux of Escape From New York's plot. Solid Snake doesn't learn about his kill switch until midway through MGS, and was put in there by someone who specifically wanted it to kill him, while Plissken's aware of his from the beginning, as the cure for it is the incentive he's given to not just immediately make a break for it as soon as he's given an aircraft and enough room to breathe. Liquid Snake wants to form a military state, with Metal Gear REX being it's main intimidation factor, while the Duke doesn't really seem to have much of a plan beyond just escaping from Manhattan. Also, nobody in New York is capable of reading Plissken's memory card.

I imagine it could be enough to potentially get a lawsuit going, but whether or not it'd succeed's another question. There's probably enough differences in story for it to be considered a seperate work, unlike Lockout, which from what I've read on wikipedia basically just comes off as Escape from New York with a sci-fi twist.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The similarities are mostly superficial, honestly. Besides, stealing the imagery from Hollywood movies and using them in Japanese games is a time honoured tradition, and not just for Kojima; http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing.htm
metalgear.jpg
terminator.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why, because of Snake?

Huh, that would put the Plissken name he uses in MGS2 in a whole new light...
The cover name of Iroquois Pliskin in MGS2 is an intentional reference to Snake Plissken. It's even taken further when the game points out that Iroquois is not actually not the real name of the Haudanenosanee (as the Iroquois call themselves), but rather a French rendition of the name their Huron enemies used for them, which roughly translates to "snake". Though Kojima himself has lately said Snake isn't named after Snake Plissken, but because snakes are the stealthiest animals (though we all know that in truth it was just so he could publish games where the main character's name is an euphenism for "erect cock").

And yea, the impression I got from the Carpenter interview I read, which was after he won the case against Besson, he mentioned that ages back CanalPlus had also urged him to sue over MGS, but that he said no because Hideo Kojima is a nice guy (at least nice to Carpenter personally). I think Mick gave a good overview of what CanalPlus may have had in mind.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Well after 43 hour of gameplay, I must say this is a really good stealth game and truly the best MGS game. I don't give a shit about story in games, specially in MGS series (it as always been nothing more than a fucking anime), but this one gameplay is great. The level design very good and the missions are just well made and fun. And the way these two combine with each other and the other gameplay elements make those main ops really fucking intersseting and replayable.

My biggest problem was the difficuty. And I am not talking about the AI because that is damn good (they react differently to various situations). But their vision and hearing range plus Snake's big life and quick health regen. They just kept the short vision and hearing range from the prevoius games, wich in the other games was alright because they were set in small areas but is one is not. And the really big life and fast health regen just made shealth useless since I could fucking kill everyone without breaking a sweat.

Because of that I was getting bored after the 4th mission or so...Then the Hardcore Mod was realesed on Nexus. I downloaded and installed it, and... it made the game SO FUCKING AWESOME.
The guy saved my game experience. He incresed the enemies vision and hearing range, made the health regen kick in later and made it much slower, increased the damage dealt by enemies, reduced the quantity of empty mags to 6 and ammo quantity to half, increased the noise fultoning makes and reduced the evac chopper's defenses.

It really fixed the difficulty problem of the game while maintaning it's balance (you can still ghost the mission) and making it more challenging and enjoyable. Even firefights now that can end very quickly are much more enjoyable because you have to prepare yourshelf for them and do your fucking best.

Is mod imho, is just the best thing that happened to this game because to me it really elevated it to one of the best shealth games I have ever played. It makes me feel like a real 80's action hero.

Unfortunatly, the mod author is not going to be updating it for an indefinate time due to the realease of Fallout 4. And to make things worse Konami recently updated the game, and mod no longer works.
Guess I will have to take a look at the current MGS V moodding tools.

Any way, if you wan't to improve this game or put to good use your shealth skills, then don't update the game and go to this link.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Looks likea fter the last patch you can recruit Quiet again if you repeat "Cloaked in silence" mission 7 times. After that, the mission will be precalled "Reunion" or something like that.

CTc4lOGWIAACMF0.jpg:large

Internet now:

Before patch: This is shit, is so bad when story limits gameplay elements (About losing Quiet as a companion)

After patch: This is shit, they manipulated Kojima's work and his desires of create a phantom pain on the player because giving to the people what they were demanding.

:retarded:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Looks likea fter the last patch you can recruit Quiet again if you repeat "Cloaked in silence" mission 7 times. After that, the mission will be precalled "Reunion" or something like that.

Internet now:

Before patch: This is shit, is so bad when story limits gameplay elements (About losing Quiet as a companion)

After patch: This is shit, they manipulated Kojima's work and his desires of create a phantom pain on the player because giving to the people what they were demanding.

:retarded:

:what:

Caim

Arcane
Seven fucking times?

Nope, not worth it. Even with the silence tranq rifle I'm not making sure all helmet missions have been done first so that Quiet can actually do her thing without immediately alerting the enemy.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Quiet is worth it. She's always worth of everything. :desu:

I would prefer another way of obtain her, but well. If Kojima productions had problems to design the secondary missions imagine a random team without Kojima designing how to make Quiet available again. They went the easy (And probably worse) path.

Trotsky

Arcane
Why didn't they just use Solidus Snake as the protagonist? He's a perfect clone of Big Boss and was active as a mercenary in Africa. Solidus is the most underutilized character of the series. In addition to being a soldier of fortune unlike his "brothers" Solidus was made US president under the identity of George Sears in the Metal Gear Solid universe.

So is it safe to say the chances of getting any new missions pack/story dlc/etc. are 0, at this point?

I'm not sure why people are being so pessimistic when the modern equivalent of the tanker was sold as a separate game. My instincts tell me there is more yet to come.

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Why didn't they just use Solidus Snake as the protagonist? He's a perfect clone of Big Boss and was active as a mercenary in Africa. Solidus is the most underutilized character of the series. In addition to being a soldier of fortune unlike his "brothers" Solidus was made US president under the identity of George Sears in the Metal Gear Solid universe.

I'm not sure why people are being so pessimistic when the modern equivalent of the tanker was sold as a separate game. My instincts tell me there is more yet to come.

I hope so. I wouldn't mind more MGS5 tbh. :3

Adon

Arcane
I'm rather glad that Solidus has been left alone, don't need him to add to the list of things Kojima has made less interesting or added some dumb "foreshadowing" like "You're a natural-born leader, one day I see you might be the president of a nation!"

Caim

Arcane
Plus, wasn't Solidus doing different shit in this time frame? MGS2 takes place in 2009 (IIRC), and given Raiden's age Solidus might be working alongside him already.

Or whatever their relationship was, the ending of MGS2 still confuses me.

Solidus wasn't made under the identity George Sears, he was George Sears, iirc. And yea, massively underutilized, he would have been a great protag, even if we knew the whole time we weren't Big Boss.

MapMan

Arcane
PROTIP: During your 7 playthroughs replays of the 11th mission, do not kill Quiet as it resets your progress. Learned it the hard way.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You can complete the Quiet mission very quickly if you just mark her with your scope and then call in a sleeping gas strike. She'll be knocked out immediately and you can finish the mission in about a minute.

MapMan

Arcane
You can complete the Quiet mission very quickly if you just mark her with your scope and then call in a sleeping gas strike. She'll be knocked out immediately and you can finish the mission in about a minute.
I was talking about literally killing her during the cutscene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom