Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Metaphor: ReFantazio Thread - Atlus JRPG by Persona Veterans

Yuber

Educated
Character Design looks ugly as fuk.

5096d765.jpg

throw-up-vomit.gif

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Metaphor: ReFantazio Is More Than A Stylish Persona Spin-Off

Though Metaphor primarily uses turn-based combat similar to Persona and Shin Megami Tensei (though I'd say difficulty seems more comparable to the former), it also adds a small bit of fast-paced action, as well. While venturing through a dungeon, you can briefly hack and slash at wandering enemies, either weakening them prior to turn-based battle or killing them on the spot.

According to Hashino, dungeons will play a major role in Metaphor: ReFantazio. But don't expect to see all of them in one playthrough. Compared to the more-linear timelines found in Persona, Metaphor offers a bit more freedom at the cost of having to make hard choices and not only how you spend your time, but where.

"Imagine if you go on vacation," Hashino explained. "You go to a city and you have 10 places listed on your travel log. Some of these might take two days to enjoy, whereas others might take half a day. Some might require a guide or more preparations, others might be a bit more safe. But you can't do it all.

"In this game, you travel a lot, and when you get to your destinations, you have a choice of multiple dungeons you can do. And all these dungeons have different difficulty levels as well, so it's kind of up to you on how you choose to spend your time. In this way, there's a lot more freedom."

S.torch

Liturgist
Why they call these things archetypes? White robots are literally the opposite of an archetype.

Vorark

Erudite
Is Soejima still involved? Character design looks very different from what was shown years ago.

Since the link to the stream doesn’t work anymore:

Don’t know if it’s got anything different in it, but the Japanese one is slightly longer so I figured I’d post it here too.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
What's the deal with this shitty anime character art? Do people enjoy that? The initial trailer tone was completely different, such a pity

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Other JRPG companies have quite a few different franchises or settings, so I wonder if ATLUS didn't realise that they can use Press Turn to try a few different things beyond SMT (best JRPG battle system IMO). Just hope they don't neglect their core games. I'm hoping for a DDS Remaster.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Pretty excited for this. Personas biggest flaw has always been that the two gameplay segments are so drawn out within themselves and interact with eachother so little. You have hours of slice of life segments, then you have hours of dungeoncrawling, rince repeat. I would like exploration, combat and time management to be mixed up a bit more and Metaphor seems to give in to that. I also really like the emphasis on giving the player a sense of being on a journey and planning your explorations within the time limit you have.

Artstyle and soundtrack, i still dont know about that. The chorus singer sounds a bit like Homer Simpson and i am not sure i can unhear that when listening to that soundtrack for hours. But i give Atlus the benefit of trust since they always have delivered with their soundtrack so far. The artstyle seems very interesting in terms of worldbuilding, level and monsterdesign but i dont get this strange filter they have put on everything, somehow like a compressed youtube video. I hope its just bad video quality and will be fixed in the end product.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I think soundtrack is going to suck. Meguro is a pop/rock composer at heart, he is quite amateurish at more orchestral music. Even snippets of orchestral stuff in earlier SMT games have always been the most generic and lazy stuff you could come up with.

Sakuraba gets bad rep for phoning it in whenever he strays from the prog rock stuff, but I'd take Sakuraba's blandest orchestral output over Meguro's.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
difficulty settings
Metaphor_Screen_Difficulty.png

still no info about regicide if its some ng+ unlock bullshit

hope fatlus could provide game this time which was not braindead easy. last challenging fatlus game was... strange journey redux?

also some pre order decline bonuses, disgusting

1725118043057.png

MakenBro

Novice
In one of the demo reviews, the VG247 journo had to switch from Hard to Normal to make it in time... for what it's worth. Hard difficulty is just you receiving more damage while enemies take less and (apparently) target weaknesses more often. And I guess Regicide is NG+ only since you can't explore all the dungeons in single run.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It really is astonishing how many Atlus games would go from good to incredible if they offered a decent difficulty

Cheesedragon117

Educated
So what do y'all think? Worth an on-release buy or do we wait 2 years for Altus to package it back up and sell it again like they do with every goddamn game they make nowadays?

I hate to say this, but this game just looks like what you would get if you opened up ChatGPT and asked it to make you a bog-standard Altus JRPG. No frills, no surprises, and certainly nothing that might offend someone, somewhere. Further gameplay reveals and the woo-woo UI have done little to impress me.

Of course, I wouldn't make such a damning judgement if I wasn't going to give the demo a full playthrough to at least test my bias.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
1727289770695.png

still can't choose merciless/regicide, fucking fatlus

probably can't swap difficulty from hard to regicide later so would need to play prologue again at the release

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom