Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Microsoft E3 2018 Press Conference: Cyberpunk 2077 Re-Announced

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Subverted my expectations. There's a fallout game, a yarn game, a disney game, a forza game in historic england. A cyberpuke game. Good stuff.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I don't mind the visual shift, it's quite original.
It does not look like Cyberpunk 2020 though so it's understandable some are dsisappointed.

On the other hand i dislike a lot the concept of a pre-made MC (i did not play any witcher games because of that).

It's matter of taste and perspective really. When I'm looking at CP2020 pnp rulebook, I've got pretty similiar vibes to the trailer. Everything looks very cartoonish in the illustrations(all in all, it was out in 90's)

Pre-made main character ain't something set in stone. They said you would be able to customize your guy/lass, so they probably use that dude only in the trailer (Something like Mass Effect Shepard) Dunno if CDPR haven't changed their mind tho'

Freddie

Savant
It does not look like Cyberpunk 2020 though so it's understandable some are dsisappointed.

On the other hand i dislike a lot the concept of a pre-made MC (i did not play any witcher games because of that).

It's matter of taste and perspective really. When I'm looking at CP2020 pnp rulebook, I've got pretty similiar vibes to the trailer. Everything looks very cartoonish in the illustrations(all in all, it was out in 90's)

Pre-made main character ain't something set in stone. They said you would be able to customize your guy/lass, so they probably use that dude only in the trailer (Something like Mass Effect Shepard) Dunno if CDPR haven't changed their mind tho'
I never played CP 2020 PnP but I recall reading that there were modules set to happen during day time. Can you confirm / deny?

Art style looks just fine and I think it's also practical choice. CDPR said it's so far their largest game world, which would imply there are lot to players to explore and experience. Day / night cycle makes sense for better gaming experience if player is supposed to spent 30+ hours in it. Also, Transmetropolitan.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When video game protagonists have ambiguous codenames like 'V', it often suggests a male/female option. Unlikely? We'll see.

Paul_cz

Arcane

I never played CP 2020 PnP but I recall reading that there were modules set to happen during day time. Can you confirm / deny?

Art style looks just fine and I think it's also practical choice. CDPR said it's so far their largest game world, which would imply there are lot to players to explore and experience. Day / night cycle makes sense for better gaming experience if player is supposed to spent 30+ hours in it. Also, Transmetropolitan.

30+ hours?

This will be 150+ hour game, like TW3, probably bigger (assuming completionist playthrough). Day/night cycle is so obvious it needs no mentioning.

When video game protagonists have ambiguous codenames like 'V', it often suggests a male/female option. Unlikely? We'll see.

jeebus christus OF COURSE it has male/female options. They show both variants in the trailer itself!

It will be shepard situation with both fully voiced options.

Freddie

Savant

30+ hours?

This will be 150+ hour game, like TW3, probably bigger (assuming completionist playthrough). Day/night cycle is so obvious it needs no mentioning.
Well, yes and then there may be multiplayer for even more hours to lose ones productivity. I just put 30+ hours for my personal preference where static environment tends to feel stale. Of course longer the game, more things like day/night and weather effects matter.

Absinthe

Arcane
How can you fuckers really just say GTA though? We have not seen a fucking stitch of pussy in this bitch aside from pre-rendered trailer shit?
Is this a joke? The entire trailer screams the GTA "I'm living the american dream in a dogshit violent criminal city climbing my way to the top through petty crime, guns, cars, and more." theme that GTA revolves around. How the fuck did you miss that? It wasn't exactly subtle.

Gibson is so salty they are making Pondsmith's stuff and not his
Don't make up bullshit just to try to discredit Gibson because you couldn't handle how he correctly pointed out this shit we're seeing is hardly cyberpunk. If you want to be full of shit go fuck off to some other forum populated with the kind of opinionated edgy idiots you seem to intend on circlejerking with. Maybe 4chan or Something Awful will be more your taste.

Anyway, great trailer. Went against expectations and actually showed different type of cyberpunk, one that isn't all dark and rainy and night and blade runner.
Calling what we've seen cyberpunk just because it has cybertech and punks is like calling something science fiction just because it has spaceships and lasers. It does a severe discredit to the genre.

I applaud them for that even if morons are gonna complain about it.
Good god you can just feel the butthurt that you already know you're about to make an opinion you're going to get shat on for so you decided to fire a preemptive strike. How about instead of showcasing your sensitivity to peer pressure in your feeble attempt to turn it around, you give a more reasoned perspective for your likes and concerns, eh? Believe it or not intelligent posting is a better road to respect.

Obviously that dark stuff is there too, showing that daylight exists does not mean night time doesn't.
Cyberpunk is not just a color palette. So far, both thematically and atmospherically, this does not evoke "cyberpunk." Cyberpunk is often about things like ressentiment, dehumanization, cynicism, rage against the machine, living under the yoke of authoritarians and scrounging out your own freedom mainly by virtue of rejecting the rules while being an ignored and invisible population, and living in a world where you frequently have to do what it takes to get ahead or even just protect your own slice of life. In a cyberpunk world, the "american dream" is something generally uttered sarcastically. The places are simultaneously cramped and desolate. Urban sprawl criss-crosses together haphazardly as technology, urban development, and decadence seem to outpace human decency. Clean air is somewhat of a rarity as smog fills and colors the skies, and a sense of disconnect pervades the world. No one would really want to live where you do, but they make do. They carve their own space and their own livelihoods amidst it all.

I don't really get any of that sense from the E3 cyberpunk 2077 trailer. It all feels very superficial on the whole. Taxi Driver is more cyberpunk than Cyberpunk 2077 so far.

It seems they are trying to marry Witcher 3 level story telling with custom protagonist and more freedom, which would be fantastic. I remember how many people were sceptical that they could take writing and quest quality from TW2 and put it into open world, but TW3 did it and even improved upon it for the most part, so I am pretty sure they will succeed with this one too.
This just sounds like blind fanboyism to me. But speaking of CD Projekt's Witcher roots, I suppose we should have low expectations for the combat.

I strongly suspect there will be a male and female option. It's based on the Cyberpunk 2020 role-playing system and CD Projekt is touting the ability to "make your own character" for the game in their E3 vid's secret message.

It’s been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and… went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things — you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves and get to work. We wanted to give you the Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine, we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077’s pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At she point we made the decisions to resume talking about the game when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realize you’ve been impatiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn’t like anyone to feel that we’re taking this for granted. On the contrary — it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too :)

But to the point. Today is the day. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw the trailer. - our vision for Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilized life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don’t let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You’ll be able to create your own character and… well, you’ll get to know the rest of what show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for the previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions,

1. When?

When we told you we would only release the game when it’s ready, we meant it. We’re definitely much closer to a release date than we were back then ;) but it’s still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us. It’s the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big?

Seriously big, but… to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we’ll do this before we start talking about pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM

Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077, will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

4. Microtransactions?

In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you posted we treat it very seriously.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED Team

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant
Some stuff from the trailer that I found interesting.

2cUHEqe.png

LTdnqKk.png

FXAPFyN.png

JDtqQgn.jpg

Last but not least, something I found from (Gasp!) Reddit. Trauma Team in action.

8rxy04bqdd311.png

So what is this Trauma Team?

For those that don't know, these guys (if that's who they're supposed to be) in Cyberpunk are baddasses! Like Black Ops combat medics that operate as a hit squad, seriously they are more scary than the Police. if you've made a call to Trauma Team for medical assistance they will kill everyone to get you so they can patch you back together. Bottom pic is how they extract targets lol. But their services are very expensive, usually only Corporates have the funds to use them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/8q9c2s/hold_up_a_sec_is_this_the_trauma_team/

I'm way too old to get hyped, should be way too experienced too but damn this looks promising.

Absinthe

Arcane
Re: GTA and Mike Pondsmith quotes

Not taking a side, but remember that Pondsmith said this: "Grand Theft Auto 3 is basically cyberpunk minus the hardware."
I think his artistic and literary sensibilities need work. Then again it wouldn't surprise me that most of the people playing his Cyberpunk system mostly treat it as a way to have GTA-esque adventures. In that sense I suppose the game might just be a decent heir to his system, although a very weak entry into the cyberpunk genre as a whole.

As I mentioned above, the atmosphere has considerable issues beyond something like that, but it's worth noting that cyberpunk urban settings usually take their cues from places like Hong Kong and the Kowloon Walled City in particular, also known as the City of Darkness because the apartments are stacked so damn close together and so high with walkways and whatnot above that you cannot tell whether it is day or night because the streets are always dark. Here are some pictures of that place (it's demolished now, btw):

Dark-City-06.jpg

HP-03.jpg

article-2139914-12EF3370000005DC-213_964x630.jpg

By the way paul, I'm not sure whether you came from reddit but a rating is not a valid substitute to an answer. Are you that much of a coward you can't even put your money where your mouth is? You're comfortable giving lip but you're uncomfortable replying once you're called out, kid?

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Re: GTA and Mike Pondsmith quotes

Not taking a side, but remember that Pondsmith said this: "Grand Theft Auto 3 is basically cyberpunk minus the hardware."
I think his artistic and literary sensibilities need work. Then again it wouldn't surprise me that most of the people playing his Cyberpunk system mostly treat it as a way to have GTA-esque adventures. In that sense I suppose the game might just be a decent heir to his system, although a very weak entry into the cyberpunk genre as a whole.

As I mentioned above, the atmosphere has considerable issues beyond something like that, but it's worth noting that cyberpunk urban settings usually take their cues from places like Hong Kong and the Kowloon Walled City in particular, also known as the City of Darkness because the apartments are stacked so damn close together and so high with walkways and whatnot above that you cannot tell whether it is day or night because the streets are always dark. Here are some pictures of that place (it's demolished now, btw):

Dark-City-06.jpg

HP-03.jpg

article-2139914-12EF3370000005DC-213_964x630.jpg

By the way paul, I'm not sure whether you came from reddit but a rating is not a valid substitute to an answer. Are you that much of a coward you can't even put your money where your mouth is? You're comfortable giving lip but you're uncomfortable replying once you're called out, kid?

Go fuck yourself, cunt.

Enough of an answer for ya?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom