Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic is finally out on GOG!!

Bluegrazz

Novice
mondblut said:
Bluegrazz said:
I tried to get JA2 to run on DOSBOX (unsuccessful) but rather than screw with getting it to run- I purchased it from GOG for cheap and was happy to pay them.

I bet it was unsuccessful. It's a windows game, silly.

LOL- shit that explains it.

Maybe it was JA1 or something- Anyhow now that I have proven my capacity towards confusion you can understand better what I mean.

If I can make an old game run with 1 or 2 clicks (and little thought) I am Torrenting that bastard (cept Indie games- I will even pay for AOD even though I think VD is a dick
:twisted: ).... If not- GOG gets my cash.

Lingwe

Liturgist
I'd bet that a fully mature monetization of abandonware would actually depress any creation of new "old school" games rather than encourage it, since copyright laws would be used to smash all of the free abandonware infrastructure that's been spreading the old games to new players (or cross-pollinating them among nostalgia gamers who missed some of them)

Buying a videogame is a pig in a poke. I am gambling that a game is worth the 5 bucks because, unless it is a nostalgia buy, I don't know what I'm getting. I wouldn't bet 5 bucks on a 1/20 chance to get a hamburger.

So you have no problem spending time trying to find obscure games and the method needed to get them running so long as they are free, but apparently finding slightly more indepth information and reviews about those games to be sure of purchasing one of them is too much trouble. When you are trying to prove a point it helps when you don't contradict yourself in the very next post you make.

Indeed. At last, the circle is complete. Oh well, Wizardry needed more emphasis on angsty androgynes and furry tentacle rape anyway. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yes because there is so much 'furry tentacle rape' that occurs in every rpg game produced by the japanese. I mean jesus christ could you say anything more retarded.

Cynicus

Augur
Lingwe said:
Indeed. At last, the circle is complete. Oh well, Wizardry needed more emphasis on angsty androgynes and furry tentacle rape anyway. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yes because there is so much 'furry tentacle rape' that occurs in every rpg game produced by the japanese. I mean jesus christ could you say anything more retarded.

Did I hurt your feelings, my dramatic friend? I'm sorry. Perhaps it wasn't in the best of taste or funny, but I meant that tongue-in-cheek. I.e., it was a fucking joke. I suppose I should have made it more clear by adding a smiley or something; I sometimes forget how chronically tight-assed some Codexians can be.

For the record, I actually think it is rather appropriate that a Japanese outfit ended up with Wizardry.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Did I hurt your feelings, my dramatic friend? I'm sorry. Perhaps it wasn't in the best of taste or funny, but I meant that tongue-in-cheek. I.e., it was a fucking joke. I suppose I should have made it more clear by adding a smiley or something; I sometimes forget how chronically tight-assed some Codexians can be.

For the record, I actually think it is rather appropriate that a Japanese outfit ended up with Wizardry.

You can never tell in this place.

I must admit that should GOG bring out a version of Dungeon Keeper 2 that works well on XP/Vista etc I probably would fork a few quid over for it. I cannot get my copy working on my XP machine without leaping through hoops every time. It is actually easier to get ancient games working than win95-98 games at times.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Blackadder said:
I must admit that should GOG bring out a version of Dungeon Keeper 2 that works well on XP/Vista etc I probably would fork a few quid over for it. I cannot get my copy working on my XP machine without leaping through hoops every time. It is actually easier to get ancient games working than win95-98 games at times.

This!
Old DirectX-Versions can be a pain to everyone ;)

TotalAnarchy

Novice
Luzur said:
simple, they usually just replace the "download this game" button with the "ESA-NO GO" button, but keep the files on their server.

so just look up the number of the game you want to download ex. civilization II (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/99/Ci ... on+II.html) and type:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/99

and voila! instant download.

Yeah, could've done it this way... IN THE PAST. We are aware about this, so we're actually removing the games from the FTP.

Cynicus said:
Must be a hit-or-miss sort of thing. I just tried it with M&M I and it worked.

Again - you managed to download it because we didn't remove it right away from the FTP. And now you made me feel bad, because I was the one who removed them. I should've done it immediately.

So thanks guys for giving us more work, it's not like any of us are getting paid for this. We're all volunteers. I don't want to laugh at you by posting this, it's just it was so funny when I googled around and read your posts, that I had to say something:

Yes, we're removing the download from both the FTP and the gamepage. You can still read the review and participate in forum discussions though, so feel free to do so. We had in plans to link to sites like GOG or Steam if the games are sold. At the moment it's hard to do that because of technical problems. If you find the No GO icon instead of the download button that means it's probably sold somewhere or (rarely) it's still protected by ESA.

Some words from the AB staff: "We're not noobs!" :D
Take care. ~TotalAnarchy

Multi-headed Cow

Hoaxmetal said:
^
Butthurt.
Seemed more like a reasonable explanation to me. Kinda wish they would leave them on the FTP though, but oh well.

Luzur

Good Sir
TotalAnarchy said:
Luzur said:
simple, they usually just replace the "download this game" button with the "ESA-NO GO" button, but keep the files on their server.

so just look up the number of the game you want to download ex. civilization II (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/99/Ci ... on+II.html) and type:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/99

and voila! instant download.

Yeah, could've done it this way... IN THE PAST. We are aware about this, so we're actually removing the games from the FTP.

Cynicus said:
Must be a hit-or-miss sort of thing. I just tried it with M&M I and it worked.

Again - you managed to download it because we didn't remove it right away from the FTP. And now you made me feel bad, because I was the one who removed them. I should've done it immediately.

So thanks guys for giving us more work, it's not like any of us are getting paid for this. We're all volunteers. I don't want to laugh at you by posting this, it's just it was so funny when I googled around and read your posts, that I had to say something:

Yes, we're removing the download from both the FTP and the gamepage. You can still read the review and participate in forum discussions though, so feel free to do so. We had in plans to link to sites like GOG or Steam if the games are sold. At the moment it's hard to do that because of technical problems. If you find the No GO icon instead of the download button that means it's probably sold somewhere or (rarely) it's still protected by ESA.

Some words from the AB staff: "We're not noobs!" :D
Take care. ~TotalAnarchy

no worries man, we will just find these games on some other site. :)

Bluegrazz

Novice
So, what is happening here is that Abandonware games are being "bought up" and are now being sold via digital download. GOG, one of the company's now selling formerly Abandonware games then contacts the Abandonware sites to remove the games.

So far- So good.

Then, someone (I am assuming someone who works at GOG) comes on here and posts what amounted to a "ha ha" we removed those bad boys 'attitude' regarding said games... This is where it gets a little fuzzy for me.

I cant fathom a representative from any company would come on here and act like an asshole who just "showed us" by making sure all these games cant be downloaded from a "certain" site.

Dude, are you fucking thinking those games cant be found elsewhere (arrrr mateys) and that someone such as myself who has bought from you in the past for convenience would now take the time to learn CODE if thats what it takes to get DOS BOX to work for me rather than buy from you what once was free because you 'think' you now have a monopoly on this shit.

That seriously fuck up , man.

- I am a noob and its easy as shit to find these games. -Seed Please

Zomg

Arbiter
The one guy was from abandonia not GoG

unless you are talking further back in the thread which I didn't read

Multi-headed Cow

Pretty confusing that he read that post and thought it was GoG saying they wouldn't sell games to people from RPG Codex. It's like he was reading all the posts in the thread at once, mixed together.

Zeus

Cipher
Multi-headed Cow said:
Pretty confusing that he read that post and thought it was GoG saying they wouldn't sell games to people from RPG Codex.

hah, especially when the guy signs his post, "Some words from the AB staff""

Everybody's getting all excited and fury-posting here.

So, to anyone who actually bought the damn things from GOG lately, how ya like the games so far? Anyone playing them for the first time, or is it mostly oldschool players?

Bluegrazz

Novice
kk- i was confused. but whats the dude from abandonia bitchin about, lol.

Srry GOG i was stoned when i said that. :lol:

Cynicus

Augur
@Lingwe: That's an understatement. Cheers.

@TotalAnarchy:

Do you think it's reasonable to leave such an easy exploit intact on your server and expect people not to engage it or tell others about it? That's naive.

Look, I'm sure that many here and elsewhere appreciate the effort Abandonia has put into keeping old games alive, but if you choose to (or are forced to) make certain games unavailable, it's your responsibility to make that happen not ours.

bhlaab

Erudite
Fuckin I went to a yard sale and those bastards wanted $2 for megaman 5? And guess how much of that will actually go to Capcom? ZERO PERCENT HOWABOUT??

Do they not realize I have been pirating megaman 5 for YEARS? Some ethics they have, ha-rumph.

Bluegrazz

Novice
That 5 dollars at a garage sale got you a hard copy of the game too- Something which took more resources and manpower to make than the couple cents of electric (if that) it costs to sell you and send you a digital game.

Now, I am still stoned and still dont have a clue why the abandonia people came here bitching and thats okay. Whats not okay is the argument that you would not buy a game at a garage sale that you have been pirating for years. Its not the same.

Hell, I Pirate some games to try them out and then buy the damn game if its good because I like having the disks (sometimes I never even end up using the disk) and with old games you would find at a garage sale- Box, manual, game...

Anyhow- someone please tell me what the hell that guy was bitching about so I can get some sleep.

Thanks.

ever

Scholar
GoG would be fine if they didn't go around enforcing the liscences they just bought and shutting down abandonware sites.

I mean cool if people wanna pay for old games to send a message that's fine but its no excuse to restrict us who don't want to.

Death to IP!!! Freedom in knowledge!!!

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
ever said:
GoG would be fine if they didn't go around enforcing the liscences they just bought and shutting down abandonware sites.

I mean cool if people wanna pay for old games to send a message that's fine but its no excuse to restrict us who don't want to.

Death to IP!!! Freedom in knowledge!!!

Slavery sucks, doesn't it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom